Tremclad roller paint jon - under $50.00 by 86 GT
Started on: 07-03-2006 08:26 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: MclarenF1 on 07-21-2006 10:39 PM
86 GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
285,000 kilo could not justify visit to the body shop. Home Depot, Tremclad, sponge roller and foam brush. Very happy with results, considering investment. I call it a 25 foot paint job!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Pictures ?
86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
I am having trouble using pennocks pip
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

If you continue to have problems with PIP, feel free to email them to me if you wish (email addy in my Profile) and I could post them for you.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Check out this thread, a guy painted his 69 Charger & a VW BUG with this stuff, looks great.

Look for the post by "69chargeryeehaa" , he goes on to explain how he painted them.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1& vc=1

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

FYI, There has been much discussion on the fact that Tremclad is available in Canada and not in the US

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 07-03-2006).]

86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks very much for your help Patrick.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2006 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome, Ray. I'll get the pictures posted shortly.

[EDIT] I shrank the pictures (they were HUGE! ), but for some reason PIP is messed up at the moment. The images won't upload. I'll try again in a while.

(By the way Ray, two of the pictures you emailed me were exactly the same - the first and the last ones you sent.)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-04-2006).]

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:
Check out this thread, a guy painted his 69 Charger & a VW BUG with this stuff, looks great.

Yeah they do!

Too bad they'll look like crap in less than a year.

That's the problem with a non-catalysed paint (as any painter here will tell!). They'll start to oxidize and fade.... and just keep going down hill. For all the time and effort he (and others!) have put into those very nice jobs, they could have used "real" paint and had them stay looking nice for years!

You can get 'cheap' turbine HVLP spray systems now (princess auto, harbour freight, etc) that will work wonders - I've got one!
So no saying that you don't have a compressor and killer paint gun!

If you can't afford (or choose not to use) PPG or whoever's paint system (yeah, they're pricey!) - try to find Endura http://www.endura.ca/topcoatsover.htm (not sure where it's available in the states). Very simple, and economical to use. 1 part "A", 1 part "B". Mix. Shoot. In SOME cases you add like 5-10% thinner.

I painted my truck with it 10 years ago, and if I ever actually washed it.... it STILL looks pretty close to the day I did it!
Korupt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 03:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KoruptSend a Private Message to KoruptDirect Link to This Post
donno if u read it all but he said he painted those cars 6 years ago
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
I've got an old boat I'm gonna try his method on. I'll post the results. (Was gonna paint it anyway, with some automotive stuff I had laying around; this sounds more durable for marine use.)
86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post

86 GT

12 posts
Member since Jan 2000
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Is this a Fiero you painted using the RustOLeum/Tremco method?
Edit: er, Tremclad...

[This message has been edited by Vonov (edited 07-04-2006).]

Fiero2m8

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m8Click Here to visit Fiero2m8's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero2m8Direct Link to This Post
Looks better than 25 foot paint job - most roller jobs I've seen are 25mph paint jobs
Since my paint job won't be done until this winter, I'm always checking out short term solutions.

------------------

1986 Fiero2m8 (LT1 NX / 4T60 Roadster Build)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/071642.html

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2006 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 GT:

...thanks again Patrick.

Well, I haven't been able to accomplish much, but I'll post your resized pictures in this thread whenever the kinks get worked out of PIP.

86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
Yes, all the paint work is Tremclad paint.
Body - Fire red
Trim - Semi gloss black
Rims - Aluminum
Inner rim - Gray
Tools - 4" sponge roller & foam brush
TCredGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TCredGTClick Here to visit TCredGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to TCredGTDirect Link to This Post
I can't find Tremclad on any website here in the USA. Home Depot does not list it either. Does anyone know if Rustoleum has a similar application system? Can bootleg Tremclad be found?

------------------
Tommy C....84 4spd, 84 SE Auto, 84 Indy,85 GT, 86 SE V6, 87 GT ,88 GT

86 GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 GTSend a Private Message to 86 GTDirect Link to This Post
The Rustoleum product that Home Depot carries in Canada is called Apple Red. It has a little bit of an orange tint to it. I asked the paint guy to open both cans, and the Tremclad was a closed match to the original fiero Bright Red.
slade1274

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2006 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slade1274Send a Private Message to slade1274Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

You can get 'cheap' turbine HVLP spray systems now (princess auto, harbour freight, etc) that will work wonders - I've got one!
So no saying that you don't have a compressor and killer paint gun!

You have any links for this equipment?
under8ted

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
User Banned

Report this Post07-05-2006 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for under8tedSend a Private Message to under8tedDirect Link to This Post
About 10 years ago I did a $50 rattle-can paint job on an old ford pickup. That really was a 50/50 paint job (50 feet at 50 mph it looked good). I've wondered a few times though, with the newer quality and types of paints available in rattle-cans if it might not be a low-buck soloution if given proper prep. It would never be a show-winner, but maybee a 10 foot job. For 100 bucks on a high-milage car thats only going to last another few years, it might work OK. (I'm thinking Krylons or Dupli-colors newer stuff)
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slade1274:

Try this:
http://www3.shopping.com/xPO-Campbell_Hausfeld_Campbell_Hausfeld_HV2500_Fine_Finish_HVLP_Paint_Sprayer

(as an example - there are many more out there!)
PFF
System Bot
bonji86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonji86Send a Private Message to bonji86Direct Link to This Post
Wow that is a really cool product. This would be perfect for guys who can't afford a $2000-$4000 dollar paint job or would just like to try something different. I just emailed Rustoleum to see if there is an equivalent product in the United States. I will let everyone know what their response is.

-Jonny-
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
I could not get Pennocks pip to work, I tried using MYFIERO.com. hope this works.

Does now.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2006 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002
4 more, thanks again Patrick.

chopfren-z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2006 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chopfren-zSend a Private Message to chopfren-zDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slade1274:

Here's one www.HarborFreightusa.com
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Ah finally, PIP has been fixed. Here’s the images that Ray (86 GT) sent me a few days ago. Yes, I know that Ray has now already posted them (using another method), but these pictures are a little larger.

Ray, the car looks great. Good job!
Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2006 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
That looks hot!

------------------
Jay Brintnell
Southern Ontario Fiero Association
White 85 Notchback(A.K.A. GodFearN)

MclarenF1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MclarenF1Click Here to visit MclarenF1's HomePageSend a Private Message to MclarenF1Direct Link to This Post
hopefully I can get the people at the hardware store to mix it as close to the color "Nero Daytona" as possible. here's the link for the paint for the U.S.: http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1&dds=16

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock