Dyno run on Power Tour by Matt Hawkins
Started on: 06-11-2006 01:01 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: FieroWannaBe on 11-13-2006 05:30 PM
Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I ran my 3.4l DOHC turbo car on the dyno in Englishtown. I put down 387 HP and 358 lb-ft of torque to the wheels. This was on 13.5 psi of boost. I will post the dyno sheet when I get home.

------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
95 BMW M3
02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-19-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Awesome!!! Can't wait to see the torque curve.
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
specs? Cool!
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Aiee! Highest proven #s from a 3.4 DOHC turbo yet. Congratulations!
I can hardly wait to see the graph. Post it soon.
SOULCRUSHER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
What were your 1/4 mile times on the tour?? Wasn't it 12.4's? You should be in the 11's with those numbers. Was altitude a factor or something else? ie. tires, shifting, etc. Great numbers BTW!

------------------

1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley,XPHOT cam, SS I/C and 105lb Valve springs: 12.38@110mph
Best 60 Foot ever: 1.699

Fiero Brick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero BrickSend a Private Message to Fiero BrickDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Those are awesome numbers, I'm glad to hear that a LQ1 is pulling those kind of numbers, especially when it has lasted years running like that! Way to go!
drummer5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drummer5Send a Private Message to drummer5Direct Link to This Post
great numbers!

You didn't happen to hang out with a bunch of Lincoln Mark owners, and sit in the back seat of a cop car?
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
To answer a few questions:

1. I was launching the car easy since I was 1000 miles from home. I am running at Milan in Michinan on Wed and hope to get a good idea of what the car will do. My 60 ft times in Florida were 2.2s. It certainly could run an 11s pass, but we will see.

2. Yes, I was in a parking lot with some Lincoln owners and had a photo opportunity in the back of a police car!

3. I have to scan the dyno plot. I also have video I will try to post.
------------------
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
95 BMW M3
02 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-11-2006).]

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2006 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
I kinda figured you were taking it easy. Probably on street tires too? Anyway, when you get some times let me know so I can update you on the Quarter Mile Times List.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

What were your 1/4 mile times on the tour?? Wasn't it 12.4's? You should be in the 11's with those numbers. Was altitude a factor or something else? ie. tires, shifting, etc. Great numbers BTW!

That day he was running right there with the big Z06's times so his time was appropriate with his #s. Don't know why but every car was slow that day. Regular LS1 Vettes were running mid 14s to give you an idea.

Matt, great #s Too bad we couldn't meet at Gainesville.

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

kmunson56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2006 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kmunson56Send a Private Message to kmunson56Direct Link to This Post
Matt,
I was really impressed when I saw your run at Gainesville. I have a 3.4DOHC in my car, but stock my best time has only been 14.7 @ 94mph. I have only done two runs with it. The other was 14.9.
I tried to find you at Perry, GA. but couldn't seem to locate you. I have been thinking about doing a turbo, because I have been playing with a ZEX nitrous system and haven't been able to get it to work properly. I think Ryan put quite a bit more fuel into the program on the chip he made for me. I am pretty close but haven't had the time to run it. Are you running a different intake? What else have you done to the engine? Thanks for any info in advance.
Kris
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
any updates? i really want to see the graph.. I've been working on sizing a turbo to upgrade my current T04E setup..
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2006 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Ran at Milan tonight with my best results ever. 12.07 @ 116.86 This was on the 13.5 psi tune. I tried 14 psi, but got wheel spin in second, so no 11s timeslip tonight.

I forgot the dyno plot at work, but will post it tomorrow. Sorry guys.

blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
Nicely done Matt. I have followed your car for years now, and am glad to see it is doing so well.

Here is to you getting into the 11's soon.
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
bump
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Some have asked and this is the quick run down of what the car has done to it.

3.4l DOHC V6 from 1995 Monte Carlo
Ported/polished combustion chambers; good bolts in bottom end; hypereutectic pistons; custom intake manifold; 38 lb/hr injectors; Haltech E6K ECU; custom tubular stainless headers and crossover; GT3071r turbo; Tial 38mm wastegate; Fidenza Al flywheel; Clutchnet six puck sprung hub clutch with stock pressure plate; large Ebay intercooler core with custom end tanks/draw fans mounted under car; I spin the engine to 7k with a 7200 rev limiter.

12.5" front discs from 2000 F-car; 4-piston fixed calipers; 11.25" rear disc with 2000 F-car rear calipers; front and rear lowered ~3/4"; 17x7 front rims with 235/40; 17x8 rear rims with 255/40
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKDirect Link to This Post
Finally a 3.4 DOHC thats layin the smack down. Congrats man ! So when are we gonna see an 11 second pass ?

------------------
HARDCORE SBC CRONIE AND PROUD OF IT ! GOT TQ ?

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 06-14-2006).]

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
All you need to do is get a good launch outta that thing. Do you use drag radials? That 1.8 60ft is killing you. 116 trap is a mid 11 second car!
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
This was on street tires, as I drove it on the entire PowerTour!

Dyno plot soon.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000
As requested. Sorry for the size, but it is hard to read small.

PFF
System Bot
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I am going to my buddies shop to try to record 400+ at the wheels. I will post results when they become available.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Holy schnikies! I better get my act togather!

Congrats, that little bugger has a set of balls.

I'm still working on mine myself, I just bought a house so there are some priorities I'm still sorting, however I now have the capablility of working on the engine again. But it's still on the other side of the country And yes, I am still toying with the supercharged 3.4 DOHC. I like the turbo, but something about a blower... MMM. Just does it for me.

------------------

"The risk is high, but the HIGH is higher"

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Go with the turbo. I think superchargers are interesting, but you can make much more power with the turbo.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2006 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Matt, do you have any pictures of your engine, and setup? I am interested in this engine for my next build.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I can post some up tonight.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2006 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Matt Hawkins

586 posts
Member since Oct 2000
Here is a general engine pic. I had the intake and valve covers powdercoated this past winter.

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-19-2006).]

stuffy236

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuffy236Send a Private Message to stuffy236Direct Link to This Post
WOW! that's a flat torque curve! Ive wanted to see someone push the TDC and Im glad someone has. Shows how potent these little engines are. thats also one helluva flat torque curve. Looks really good! Keep up the good work!

[This message has been edited by stuffy236 (edited 06-22-2006).]

Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. It was a long time getting the car to this point. Lot's of careful tuning. I have over 40k miles on the turbo engine. Needless to say, I am content with it's current power level and it is daily drivealbe. I put more miles on this than all my other cars combined. I just need that 11s timeslip!

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo
88 Toyota Supra Turbo
95 BMW M3

[This message has been edited by Matt Hawkins (edited 06-22-2006).]

dohcfiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2006 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dohcfiendSend a Private Message to dohcfiendDirect Link to This Post
matt, you are an inspiration to all 3.4 dohc owners fiero or not. jesus that is one sick lq1 ...i love it. also surpassed my expactations on how much power the stock bottom end could handle too.

1 question, are those pistons stock replacements or do you have a different compression ratio?

[This message has been edited by dohcfiend (edited 06-23-2006).]

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dohcfiend:

1 question, are those pistons stock replacements or do you have a different compression ratio?

I'd like to know this too...
PFF
System Bot
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
What kind of turbo are you using?
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroWannaBe:

What kind of turbo are you using?

He answered this

"Some have asked and this is the quick run down of what the car has done to it.

3.4l DOHC V6 from 1995 Monte Carlo
Ported/polished combustion chambers; good bolts in bottom end; hypereutectic pistons; custom intake manifold; 38 lb/hr injectors; Haltech E6K ECU; custom tubular stainless headers and crossover; GT3071r turbo; Tial 38mm wastegate; Fidenza Al flywheel; Clutchnet six puck sprung hub clutch with stock pressure plate; large Ebay intercooler core with custom end tanks/draw fans mounted under car; I spin the engine to 7k with a 7200 rev limiter."
FieroWannaBe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2006 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroWannaBeSend a Private Message to FieroWannaBeDirect Link to This Post
didnt see that, sorry.
stuffy236

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stuffy236Send a Private Message to stuffy236Direct Link to This Post
bump for an update?
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
based on the turbo map for his gt3071r and his dyno - i estimated crank hp and plugged in all the numbers and it looks like the gt30 is too small - i think it'd be a stretch to get 400whp with it, if it was a gt35 he should have hit 400whp at the 13.5psi

EightBall

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EightBallSend a Private Message to EightBallDirect Link to This Post
i agree the GT3071R is too small

but the GT3076R is a little better, although its still not a perfect match in my opinion
88_Fiero_2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88_Fiero_2M4Send a Private Message to 88_Fiero_2M4Direct Link to This Post
Looks Like all you need to do is bring down that reaction time a little and you would have had your 11 second run with it.

------------------
Don Pottorff
Maroon 88 GT
Red 88 2M4
Silver 86 2M4
Red 85 GT 1:18 Scale

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88_Fiero_2M4:

Looks Like all you need to do is bring down that reaction time a little and you would have had your 11 second run with it.

Ehhrr... That has nothing to do with the ET. You can stay 5 min at the line if you want and your ET would still be the 12s. Now the combination of RT and ET do determines who win the race (who arrives first)
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
geez thats fast. Good work, and nice build
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock