Started on: 05-20-2006 09:56 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: fierosound on 10-12-2006 12:30 PM
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
i would like to replace mine while my engine bay is empty. does anyone have new ones available?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
If you don't mind spending about $30 and doing it yourself, Paul McKibbinn of Fiero Sails sells a template for one. Heres one I did with his plans http://www.northfloridafieros.homestead.com/files/Firewall_pad_installed.jpg

Heres whats involved
http://northfloridafieros.homestead.com/ProgressOnFirewall.html

And last but not least a link to Paul McKibbins page for the plans
http://www.fierosails.com/heatshield.html

It took me all of 1/2hr to make it and it still looks good even after a year of daily driving.

------------------

Project Silver Bullet has commenced. Project Silver Bullet

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
that looks good to me. looks like the priced dropped to $20.00 even. not bad at all! thanks for the info. + to ya
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2006 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Paul is EXCELLENT to do business with. A++ vendor.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero also had precut insulation available a while back and may still have it. It was a bit pricey but ready to install.

[This message has been edited by hnthomps (edited 05-21-2006).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
You should be able to buy hood insulation from any auto body supply shop (if you are looking for the 'original' look). I bought a sheet of it for CAN$70 and it was enough to do 3 cars (probably can get a few side pieces out of the left overs as well).

Tim
Boomtastic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2006 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tesmith66:

Paul is EXCELLENT to do business with. A++ vendor.

My words exactly! I have his template here. The nicest part about using it is that YOU choose what you want for the shield material. Dynamat/Fat Mat? Sure. ThermoTec shield? No problem. Just line it up and cut.

------------------

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

You should be able to buy hood insulation from any auto body supply shop (if you are looking for the 'original' look). I bought a sheet of it for CAN$70 and it was enough to do 3 cars (probably can get a few side pieces out of the left overs as well).

Tim

I checked into that and often found that they were often precut and punched to the specific application. We got a 50' roll of Manson Akousti-Liner www.mgicanada.com/manson_al.htm for $100. It's enough for about 7 cars (doing all 3 sides). This is a flexible 1" thick black fiberglass product faced with a black coated mat almost exactly the same as the original insulation in the engine bay and provides both thermal and acoustical insulation. The facing isn't "real black" but it readily accepts Flat Black paint.

Templates were made of the original insulation pieces, and duplicates were cut out in the Akousti-Liner product. The firewall insulation was easy to fit, as that is relatively flat and it was easily held in place with the original fasteners and touches of spray adhesive. The insulation on the sides of the engine bay were more difficult. The original pieces had been factory molded to fit the contours of the inner fenders and shock towers. Careful cutting of the pieces and liberal use of spray adhesive made it possible to do a respectable job replacing them. In any event, it looked a lot better than what we started with.

------------------

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2004 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I checked into that and often found that they were often precut and punched to the specific application. We got a 50' roll of Manson Akousti-Liner www.mgicanada.com/manson_al.htm for $100. It's enough for about 7 cars (doing all 3 sides). This is a flexible 1" thick black fiberglass product faced with a black coated mat almost exactly the same as the original insulation in the engine bay and provides both thermal and acoustical insulation. The facing isn't "real black" but it readily accepts Flat Black paint.

Templates were made of the original insulation pieces, and duplicates were cut out in the Akousti-Liner product. The firewall insulation was easy to fit, as that is relatively flat and it was easily held in place with the original fasteners and touches of spray adhesive. The insulation on the sides of the engine bay were more difficult. The original pieces had been factory molded to fit the contours of the inner fenders and shock towers. Careful cutting of the pieces and liberal use of spray adhesive made it possible to do a respectable job replacing them. In any event, it looked a lot better than what we started with.

Yes, there is the molded stuff - but the one supplier that I go to also sells it off a roll. If I would have known I could have given you some as I still have enough left for 3 more cars. But it looks like you found something that would work as well.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-12-2006).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2006 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tim. Luckily, several of our guys want to do their engine bays too, so I'll be able to use up the balance of the roll of the product I have. What we really need is the moulded insulation parts for us too!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock