86 chop top has begun by CTDIV
Started on: 04-05-2006 09:26 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: CTDIV on 04-19-2006 08:47 PM
CTDIV

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVDirect Link to This Post
OK I have officailly started doing my own chop top today. I finally had some time to work on it and I got it to the point where I can get to the fun part. This is what I started with.....

I then started the break down. I took a long time to get the front roof section to come off. That back glue stuff is brutal.

I tried to get the back window out without breaking it but it broke anyway so I just went all the way with it. I was kinda fun take out a lot of frustration.

I then started on the spot welds and I decided I would call it a night.

I have to say I was really looking at the whole thing and In another thread I was asking how much to cut and other questions. You really do have to just look at it and see for yourself. I thought 3" would be alot but it really isn't.

I have the weekend off and I will be working on it then. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to brace teh car before you cut teh top free. i braced mine before going after teh spot welds. I saw a thread here a few days ago where someone showed teh brace they made with pics. I just took some bar stock and welded several sticks triangulating teh interior. Maybe over kill...02 Lookin good though! Keep the pics coming.
-Scott
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVDirect Link to This Post
I think I saw that same thread. But then I saw another thread where the did not do anything and it turned out fine. I am palnning on bracing it though before I get going to far.
psychosurfer

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2006 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for psychosurferSend a Private Message to psychosurferDirect Link to This Post
Truth be told, it would likely be fine with nothing as the gas tank tunnel adds so much integrity. Just better to be safe than sorry. Cant wait to see the next pics!
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVDirect Link to This Post
I had all these plans to get so much done on the old fiero this weekend but it just did not happen. First thing that went bad was the washer decided it was going to die. So I spent Saturday shopping for a new washer. As all of us know though, you have to have a new dryer if you get a new washer. Well at least that was whe I was told.

Anyway, while I was out shopping I found this

It is a cargo load bar and I figure that would be a easy was to brace the fiero while I chop it. I placed it in to see if it would even fit

Seemed to me that it would be a simply tool to get the job done.

As I said, I did not get much done but I did manage to get the silicone goop crap off the area I need to see. It makes it easier to see the spot welds. Maybe I will finally get tot he chop top soon.

But Today I spent some time putting together my new toy. If she gets a washer and dryer, I get a new motor hoist.

OK, I will keep you all posted as soon as I get some new pictures.

------------------

I owned a 1985 GT, New project is a 1986 SE. It will be a V-8 powered home brew chop top.

shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
i used a wire wheel in my drill motor to clean out those channels. the stuff in there is like hard bubblegum! a wire whell made short work of that though. just a thought.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2006 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVDirect Link to This Post
That is what I used. It works great.
CTDIV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2006 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTDIVSend a Private Message to CTDIVDirect Link to This Post
Well I made some head way today. I did the chop and decided to call it a day. I will work on it again this weekend. I have to say that I am sorry that I did not post this in the right section so I am going to move it over to the Technical Discussion & Questions. Check over there for the current pictures. It will be listed under the same title.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock