Started on: 03-23-2006 08:33 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: PaulJK on 03-25-2006 06:26 AM
fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone put in a HUD from a grand prix? I searched but didn't find any info.. I was wondering if it can be done and how hard it is.. I've got pretty good electrical skills being a mobile installer and also pretty good custom fabricating skills......
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Max The Chainsaw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2006 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Max The ChainsawClick Here to visit Max The Chainsaw's HomePageSend a Private Message to Max The ChainsawDirect Link to This Post
It's not really hard. The hardest part is finding a place to put the unit, I can be pretty good sized. In my ZR-2 I took the circuit boards out of the HUD and installed them in the Camaro dash panel. The display is pretty small since the mirrors in the box enlarge it.

JScott1 is really the HUD install guru, he has some pinout diagrams in the "Designing a new dash" thread. I think he's in Daytona for the car show right now though.

One thing I would sugest, if you can get the speedo driver board from an 88, I'd recommend using it so you can tap the "Pulse Per Mile" signal off the "M" terminal originally designed for the electric power steering. Reason is, on mine I have found if I have the HUD on, the cruise won't work. I'm guessing it's due to having too much stuff drawing from the speedo signal off the board. I already got a new board from an 88 coupe in the JY, just need to put it in and reconnect the HUD to the "M" terminal and see if that does it. Also, I think it may solve another little annoyance I have, when I'm running less than 35 MPH, the HUD will display either "0" or it will jump wildly around different readings before settling down to read right.

Hope this helped.

------------------

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
So, does anybody have a how to thread to do this?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Max is correct in that I have a HUD, 98 Firebird speedo and Cruise all hooked to an 88 speedometer board.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174-15.html

About halfway down is the HUD wiring. Mine is mounted in the firebird dash so I can't help you find a place for it in the stock dash

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2006 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Do a SEARCH on eBay and sometimes some intersting stuff comes up under HUD. I even found a few aftermarket "kits" that display tach; seemed pricey to me, though ...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock