Started on: 03-01-2006 10:34 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: sonic50 on 03-10-2006 05:55 PM
sonic50

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Yes all of us hear know how to wash a car and even detail it.
But with summer right around the Conner and car shows are about to start I thought that it would be a good idea to start a thread about tips, and tricks on cleaning the fiero.

Like,

What type of car soap do you use?
What type of wax do you use?
What type of wheel cleaner?
What type of tire shine?
What kind of cleaner do you use inside of the car?
What type of engine cleaner?
How do you get into the small places in the fiero?
Any tricks or tips!!!

What kind of cleaning supplies do you use?
I.E what kind of wire brush, sponge.

If you want take photos of you supplies and your car all clean up.
Even better before and after photos.

------------------

www.iamanascarfan.com

[This message has been edited by sonic50 (edited 03-01-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I usually use the Mr.Clean system. Simple and easy.
I normally use Meguiars NXT wax but for car shows I will use Zaino
I use a meguiars wheel cleaner, most of the other kinds work too
Tire shine, i think black magic foaming tire shine. Any good brand foaming stuff works well
I use a Stoner brand trim cleaner
Any foaming degreaser works fine.
I have a set of small brushes for the wheels, never use metal on metal. normal sponge but getting a nice mit.
Bucket. Interior cleaning brushes work very well.
I have a ton of stuff. I'll take a pic of it in a min

------------------
1988 Fiero GT

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post

NorthFloridaFiero

918 posts
Member since Aug 2004
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/395/p10104027xt.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8215/p10104033ok.jpg
Might be a bit blurry but you get the idea. Ask if you don't know what something is
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
I've tried before to do an extensive write up on what I do, what I use, and why. This is going to be a long post, but I'll try to be as brief as possible in each segment so it won't be so much to digest, LOL.

Detailing is like playing music. The more you practice the better you get at it. In detailing, there is always a new product to try and quicken the process and save you time. What it boils down to is, you can only save so much time before you have more products than you need instead of putting more time into using the few that you have.

You will always be improving your technique. The saying that a majority of it is in the prepwork, it is true. Like a great paint job, its the time you invest prior and using the product as close to you can as intended.

I have a lot of stuff in my trunk, I'll include the full product list at the end of the post.

** Primary rule #1. You must remember at all times. If it touches the ground, consider it useless unless its a wheel brush, and especially the clay bar! This also includes a car cover. Touching the ground picks up glass, gravel, dirt, quartz, and other kinds of crap and you can rub this into your paint with the lightest of pressure and it will create scratches. This happens the most to wash mitts, applicators, and drying/buffing microfiber cloths. These things are covered below. **

People will disagree with me on the use of a car cover, I tell them to bite me. It works if used appropriately.

** Primary rule #2. You must remember at all times. Never use moderate or heavy pressure. If you need moderate or heavy pressure, your doing something wrong. Use a lubicant, a spritz of water, remove the product and try again with a thinner coat. **

** Primary rule #3. Have a bottle of water or gatorade or something to drink. You can't dehydrate because you read this thread and printed it out to wash your car with and then try to come after me. **

Show cars, "First Blood" wash where you just got the car, completely grimy cross country drive, etc.

- Stick a automotive clay bar in its plastic still your pocket to warm it up.

Automotive clay is designed to "pull" contaminants from the paint that are invisible to the naked eye and adhere to the surface of the clay. Your paint is like your teeth, it may be smooth, but its definitely porous under extremely close scrutiny. Scratches also hold contaminants in them. Even after a through through job washing the car the first time, stuff will still be in the paint. The clay bar helps remove fallout/pollution, sap, and embedded road grime.

- Rinse the car with a high pressure garden nozzle, rinse the wheels using a dense stream.

This will remove loose dirt and remove the first layer of brake dust off.

- Fill a bucket with a heavy concentration of Dawn and fill with water. Put in your first microfiber wash mitt to soak.

Dawn has a high alkali content which is good for removing stubborn debris and some layers of wax with each wash. I call it, the "First Blood" car washing liquid. If the car has been heavily waxed prior, you will need to use a wax remover and this will take anywhere from 1-2 hours. The benefit is you have a "clean" surface from wax and polish, kind of like a painter using a new canvas and not one scrubbed clean of paint.

- Rinse the car again. Gently wash with lots and lots of soap.

Stay away from the lower 1/3 around the entire car as this is where it tends to really get grimy, especially along wheel wells and bumpers. Rinse the car.

- Change the soap out and wash the same upper 2/3 again, this time, wash the lower 1/3 and change out soap and the wash mitt if it starts getting funky fast. Rinse and repeat.

The goal at this point is to be able to wash it with a clean untouched mitt and not discolor the wash mitt.

- Spray the wheels with a gentle cleaner. Using the bucket of soap that should still be clean, use a soft brush and soak it in the soap, lightly scrub the rims and rinse. The tires will be wet, which is fine. Take a disposable sponge or a tire dressing with an adjustable spray nozzle, or a spray bottle filled with tire dressing, and spray around the wheel.

This stuff is SLICK, so don't soak the tread. Show cars that do this are obviously GARAGE QUEENS. Blah. Once you hit the road, it will be like having a super thin coat of oil over half of each wheel and that spells danger!! It will quickly rub off but you can just as quickly lose control if you forgot and you dropped the clutch at a few thousand RPM. If you overspray on the rim, immediately wash the affected area and rinse. The dressing is water resistant and will dry to a shine.

- Now the clay bar. Flatten it like a pancake. With a spray bottle of lubricant (small concentration of soap, the rest water, most clay bar kits come with a bottle), spray a 8x8 inch section so its nice and wet and in a straight motion up and, rub the clab on the paint using plenty of lubricant and do this to the entire car, top 2/3 first. A clay bar should be able to do 2 medium size cars or one bad off car.

- After claying, rinse the car and wash it once using the still pristine wash mitt and a new bucket of soap.

- Rinse and dry with a microfiber drying towel. Use a small damp microfiber to get the door jambs, the rubber seals, the area between the doors and around the hinges, and the bumpers in case you slip.

Microfiber is an artifical nylon/polyester weave that has under a microscope split fibers like split hairs, except, it has anywhere from 100,000 to 250,000 per square INCH. This is what helps trap dirt it comes in contact with inside the fibers and why it is preferred by detailers to leave the least amount of scratches when drying, applying, and removing products. It makes human hair look like a piece of rebar compared to a single strand of cotton.

- Compound the surface to remove any scratches using a part polish and scratch remover with a 3M, Meguiar's, or Mother's compound.

3M's make some of the most widely used and proven compounds. A compound is used to remove wax or remove scratches. For scratches, its essentially a liquid that has the ability of 1200-2000 grit sandpaper. Ultra fine and used carefully. Best left to a professional unless you practice on junk yard panels. If not needed, your ready to glaze.

A glaze is a pure polish, it doesn't contain wax or if does, in very minute traces to give it consistancy. Its used to bring out the best possible shine of the paint and used in conjunction with a wax. Synthetic waxes have their own prep polish or glaze and follow different steps from here on out to apply and remove. In this case, lets assume we're using a wax to seal this good stuff in. Two of my favorite glazes are Omega One Glaze and Meguiar's #7. You do NOT glaze with Zaino. Very important.

- Lightly glaze the surface, which is applied in the same way a wax is, with a microfiber applicator.

You want to apply a wax on the vertical surfaces (doors, pillars) in a straight up and down motion with light pressure. You want to apply the glaze to horizontal paint surfaces in straight back and forth motion from one side of the car to the other, not front to back, with light pressure. The reason you do this is, most cars are washed and prepared using a back and forth motion, or even worse, circular motions which case scratches that are harder to remove.

If you apply a substance using a up and down motion you minimize and control the cloth to prevent scratches. When removing the substances, you use a front to back motion, going against the "grain" of how you applied it. If you have circular scratches, you can see how hard they are to hide but using this method of applying a glaze or sctatch removing substance, you get the most effective coverage.

You do not want to let a glaze "cure" or dry on the paint unless the directions specifically call for it. They are more difficult to remove since they are not designed in the same way as a wax. You want to apply as thin a coat as possible in a small area, then remove 10-20 seconds after and repeat over the whole car.

** Wax. What a subject! I'm not talking about the F-chat poster, but the layer of protectant between your paint, the world, and the shine that is underneath grabbing your attention. There are a few truly superior products out there and I've used a lot of them. **

** Wax is like picking a girlfriend. A group of them might share a lot in common, but there will usually be one girl that EVERYONE goes after and for different reasons. Pick your wax the same way. **

These have been tested repeatedly against one another by detailers, by magazines, and finally in my own experience. I showed my car at least 6 times a year for two years and I never took less than 1st place except once. I came in 2nd only to a sand bagging garage queen that rarely saw use. These were all Jag shows so there was no other marque comparisons. Just me and mine against my brothers and sisters, all of them older, with more experience.

I've used these extensively, and in our So Cal climate which is pretty light except for sun and dust. Those products in no particular order are below.

P21S paste wax, Pinnacle Souveran paste wax, Meguiar's Gold Class, Mother's Carnuba Cleaner, and Zaino.

The best looking are P21S, Pinnacle Souveran, and Zaino.
The least expensive is the Meguiar's and Mothers.
The most durable by far is the Zaino followed by Meguiar's, Mother's, P21S, and Pinnacle.
The easiest to apply and remove are P21S and Pinnacle followed by Meguiar's, Mother's, and Zaino.
If you want 'strong like bull' durability with in the middle optics, Zaino is your product.
If you want the best possible look with moderate water resistance, P21S is your wax. These two are pound for pound the best of the list.

Meguiar's and Mother's you can find anywhere at any decent auto store chain and its the least expensive. The others you order online or through specialty dealers. They resist water better than the two premium waxes.

Pinnacle is expensive, but it smells so delicious you want to eat it and is a hair easier to remove than P21S. It has lower water resistance than P21S but it is designed for red and black cars only. All waxes can be layered, and layered, and layered, and layered again to increase the depth of the finish for that always wet look. P21S is excellent on all colors and formulated to be that way. Pinnacle gives you that edge for dark ones.

You need to choose one that best suits your driving style and climate conditions.

- Now that is out of the way, how to apply and remove it.

P21S and Pinnacle are wipe on and then wipe off waxes. By FAR the easiest to apply and remove. With practice, I'm able to wax my Jag in 35-45 minutes start to finish by hand after a rinse, wash, rinse, wash, do the tires, dry cycle. Meguiar's and Mother's take 30-45 seconds for a section to cure but once your in the cycle, 45-60 minutes.

Use the waxes sparingly. Thicker doesn't do anything except take longer to cure and is harder to wipe off, especially if a wax that must cure. Use a consistant coat across each panel. Use a slightly damp microfiber applicator and remove with a microfiber cloth. Its applied in the same up and down and side to side motion as the glaze and is removed with a back and forth motion. Allowing it to cure after you removed the residue based on the instructions for each will provide the best results.

- How to apply and remove Zaino.

Once the surface is prepped, apply as thin as possible and let sit for 20-30 minutes. This is the quick curing Zaino if you purchased the $15 additive, otherwise it could take 2-4 hours. You can Zaino and remove in just over an hour providing your finished and the first area you began with is cured. Zaino is a liquid, a trick to applying this is to use a plastic syringe with a plastic tip, apply directly to a slightly damp microfiber applicator and spread across the paint. Kal from F-chat showed me this and it was a great trick for my bag of tricks.

Since you can Zaino the entire car, you remove it with either a large porous microfiber towel or a beach towel, yes, a beach towel. Microfiber is so 'smooth' and gentle that its slow to remove the synthetic polish without pressure, since its so 'slick' in nature. something you want to avoid applying at ALL times to your paint. You have to use a more porous, not course, material and a beach towel is what they recommend. A good porous microfiber can also work too and is a little more gentle than a soft beach towel. Don't grab just any one. Find a good one the spouse won't miss and use it exclusively for this. Remove in the same front to back motions. You applied it in up/down and side/side.

- Final wipe.

The most supreme of microfiber cloths are used for this purpose. It removes any remaining residue from wax or Zaino. It gives a uniform sheen to the wax or synthetic by removing the residue you can't see.

- Windows.

The best way is to have a small clean shop rag. Use glass cleaner sparingly and wipe. Or, a damp shop rag and a dry shop rag, both clean, will also give you a streak free window.

- Trim.

Do you have chrome? Aluminum? A gentle chrome/aluminum formulated polish and a microfiber used gently and in small sections, removed with a slightly damp microfiber. Chrome polishes are a pain to remove, more than a glaze, because they cure fast, and even if gentle, they can cut with pressure and a course cloth.

- Interior.

Use a damp microfiber to wipe down seats, dash, instrument clusters, door panels, door pockets especially. Save the rear deck for last. If you remember how air flows especially if you like driving with the windows open, this is the dustiest part of the interior. Beat the rugs against an ugly tree or slap with your fist. Vaccuum if you can and use that in the footwells. Take an applicator and lightly apply some Mother's Leather/Vinyl protectant and use a light coat over the door panels, dash, and rear deck.

- Clean up your mess, put things away.

Wash the wash mitts together, the applicators together, the microfiber towels together. Its a pain, but it keeps out the chemical interactions and the really grimy stuff from the wash mitts away from the 'cleaner' stuff. The applicators are next followed by the microfibers. This stuff will get dirty the first time you do this, such as buying a car, cross country drive, etc.

If your in "Maintenance" mode they can all be washed together in one batch. Make sure you do a load of "darks" because if the spouse puts in their "whites" afterwards, you might be in for a little hell and you'll be sleeping with your girlfriend or boyfriend in the garage that night!

** Get the camera, snap some pictures, park that beauty in the sun, and light up a stogie. Pull up a chair and relax. Oh, and grab your favorite drink because you've graduated to Maintenance mode. What you just went through you want to do once a year. Its much simpler in Maintenance mode. **

- I'm in Maintenance mode. Its dirty, what do I do now?

Get the car wash made for the wax/glaze products your using! Don't use Dawn, it will remove what you tried so hard to apply. Dawn's for "First Blood" and the car wash put out by the wax/glaze will not remove itself. Wash, rinse, rinse rims, wash, rinse, wash rims, rinse rims, apply tire dressing, dry the paint, apply and remove the wax, and do the mirrors. Clean up. Do the trim and interior as needed, usually every 2-3 washes depending on how dusty it gets.

- When to use a quick detailer.

A quick detailer is part liquid wax, part water, part alcohol, part gloss enhancer, and part anti-static chemical. It comes in a spray bottle right off the shelf. Its used for light dust only, say, after a quick run and your going right back into the garage. Or your at a show and darn it, something landed on the paint and its almost "rags down" for judging to begin.

Spritz the quick detailer on the area, gently wipe in the same motions you used above, up/down or side/side and then front/back to finish and the alcohol base will evaporate and leave you with a clean scratch free waxed surface. There is a quick detailer made by each manufacturer, I strongly recommend using that. The wax ones can be interchanged usually, but the Zaino one you do NOT want to use with a wax quick detailer. Since Zaino is not a wax, you'll put wax in between your Zaino and the next coat of Zaino, haha!

- Dusters are evil.

A duster does one thing, remove dust and leave imperfections by scraping across the top layer of wax. Its like taking your fingers and rubbing a mirror, it leaves oils and stuff behind. Hurts the wax/glaze optics, collects more dirt by leaving oil from the duster behind. Dusters can leave very fine scratches behind. Use a quick detailer instead.

- Use a car cover.

Knowing when is most important. After a quick run, yes, or stationary in the garage for long periods, double yes. For daily drivers, if the commute is quick, yes during the day in or out of a parking garage. Not after a long run, a city to city drive, etc. Sliding a car cover across your dusty paint, even if its a specialty cover which I recommend (compact, washable, protect against UV, waterproof but breathable). You UNFOLD a cover on your paint, you don't slide it around, so you want to apply and remove it using a method. Once applied, you can "peel" the cover up and back from part of the car at a time. Using and removing a cover literally takes 1-2 minutes to put on and 1-2 to put away. After you went through hell above, I guarantee you, proper use of a cover will greatly stretch the time between washes, especially if not daily driver.

- How do I keep my leather and vinyl in good shape.

WATER only to clean, sometimes a coat of Mother's Vinyl protectant on vinyl, and use a leather conditioner like Leatherique once every 6 months. Spray bottles are the most effective way to apply it and a gentle swipe of a microfiber applicator, allow to soak in the longer the better and the warmer the better, and remove with their cleaner with a microfiber cloth.

- I'm cranky, old, tired, sore, busy, the honey do list is long, I'm poor, I'm travelling, and I can't wash the car. But I can fit in a quick detail. If thats you, keep this in mind.

How often you want to wash is up to you. The more you use a quick detailer, the more careful you will have to be since your substituting a full wash cycle with nothing but a little liquid and a microfiber cloth. You can quickly reach the point of no return where you can't cover, its too dusty to microfiber quick detail it, so you need to wash it. Let it be dirty a couple days, then go through a Maintenance mode wash cycle.

- Is a chamois good?

No. If its a soft (old), thick, not flat but porous one 2ft by 2ft or more, they can be used for drying in place of a porous large microfiber cloth. Otherwise, tie them up and let the dog bury it somewhere.

- Claying is good for the soul.

If you have your maintenance mode down, once every year is plenty and you will barely pick up anything by doing it.

- Is there a show mode?

Yes, it involves a wash cycle, stripping the wax, applying the glaze, and rewaxing. No claying needed unless its been a year.

- Nasty, dirty, rarely see the light of day nooks and crannys.

All cars have them, the areas that just get really grimy. Fender lips turned in to face the tire, extremely nasty, use a soapy shop rag to get these areas and wash them with the shop rags used for the mirrors. Bumpers, some suck the dirt like a Corvette right into the tail lights. Ferrari's are very dusty babies. Bumpers are low and they get funky quick. High performance cars have to deal with melted rubber as well. This usually is removed using the car wash, but Dawn if necessary. Quickly glaze the affected area before waxing.

- How long does wax last?

Which one did you pick? I've found 30 days in So Cal with a wash once a week and 1 rain storm. No rain? 45 days with a wash once a week. Zaino? 3-4 months with a wash once a week and a rain storm once a month. Its got big balls durability.

- I live in a snowy climate, what product do I 'wax' with?

Zaino. Zaino and and Collonite Super Double Coat or some silly name which is a wax, are the only two that can. Especally Zaino though, it can survive sleet, rain, and snow, for a month straight and after you wash the car, it feels like it was applied the day before. Its the durability king and it looks good too.

- I just got caught by a sprinkler or sprinklers or puddles, what do I do?

Microfiber that off with a quick detailer as necessary as soon as you can without "appearing disturbed" to other drivers, your spouse, friends, family, or co-workers! Unpurified water will leave a film, the sun will bake that spot into the paint too. If the spot is already dry but didn't bake in there, a quick detailer will lubricate the surface first.

- I washed my windshield with washer fluid and it landed on the paint, is this ok?

Worse than water! It can stain paint quicker than unpurified water baking in the sun. Quick detail it to lubricate it and remove with a microfiber ASAP unless its raining or snowing lol.

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2006 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
Very good write up. i pretty much do everything you posted.
BE SURE to get a high quality microfiber and other detaililng towels. Walmart will NOT do it. Visit online vendors of detailing supplies.
Search for Autopia, I use their towels and they are nothing short of great.
That and I usually do the wheels first.
Also your claybar when your done with it, you can also use it on your windows and wheels. Works great

Let me ask you this, you think i could use a glaze before applying zaino?

[This message has been edited by NorthFloridaFiero (edited 03-01-2006).]

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 408
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post
My buddy and I run a professional detailing service in the high end areas of San Diego, California. While I won't share much, how about a pic?

------------------

"My engine's runnin' on time, my head's so f*cked up inside" -Breaking Benjamin

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
honestly, it takes longer to read this post then it would be to just go out and wash your car. i don't think there are any tricks. it's easy to wash a car, so lets just ignore that part.
as far as detailing goes. everything short of high speed buffing is about nothing more than patience. do you have the patience to clean out the fins on the air scoop, or do you just try and get them all at the same time? do you take the time to make sure none of the tire dressing gets on the wheels, etc. for the most part all the products available will work, what works best for you is trial and error. there's a reason there isn't just one line of products, they are all good, just in different ways.

i guess the only "tip" i could say, and it's not so much a tip as much as something that's good to think about when you're waxing your car is that the easier the wax goes on, the easier it'll come off. so although there are some really nice waxes that take less than half an hour to apply, they probably won't last longer than a couple weeks. personally, i don't have a problem with that, i like to wax my car once every couple weeks or so, it never looks as good as when it's freshly waxed.

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NorthFloridaFiero:

Very good write up. i pretty much do everything you posted.
BE SURE to get a high quality microfiber and other detaililng towels. Walmart will NOT do it. Visit online vendors of detailing supplies.
Search for Autopia, I use their towels and they are nothing short of great.
That and I usually do the wheels first.
Also your claybar when your done with it, you can also use it on your windows and wheels. Works great

Let me ask you this, you think i could use a glaze before applying zaino?

I have been told NOT to use a glaze or polish before using zaino.
that's just what I have been told. I am sure there is a reason for this, But I am unsure what it is.

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
doesnt surprise me.
prolly chemical thing. just wondering
Aaron: car looks real good.
I'll see what i can do at daytona
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AaronZ34:

My buddy and I run a professional detailing service in the high end areas of San Diego, California. While I won't share much, how about a pic?

That looks like a walmart microfiber

Mike OHIO

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike OHIOSend a Private Message to Mike OHIODirect Link to This Post

i dunno what to say. that is just a crisp, flawless finish.

mike

PFF
System Bot
84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

doesnt surprise me.
prolly chemical thing. just wondering
Aaron: car looks real good.
I'll see what i can do at daytona

Altho you are not supposed to in some cases.
I have had no problem with the folowing.
After washing and claying a car,
Applying nxt paste tech wax.
Then using a carnuba wax.
Then re applying the nxt paste wax again.
Then quick detailing.
Then re applying a coat of nxt spray wax.
When I would wash the car again with dawn. all the wax was not striped.
It would work good for harsh weather.
I have also heard NXT is better for the shine, and not so great on protection.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
the mr. clean system works the best for me, it's just a small amount of deionized water so you dont have to dry the car. Then i'll apply some aluminum polish to the rims and maybe polish/wax the car with meguires

------------------

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
walmart = swirl mark city
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post

not to be picky, but if i took my car to a pro detailer and they left their watch/jewelery on i'd probably leave and never come back. one slip and you got a lot of troubles.
just something to think about for you diy'ers, you're hands are probably as unsteady as mine, and you don't want your watch strap to put a big scratch in your paint

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
Here are the results from the infamous wax test. If you are not using one of the top waxes on this list, then you are not using the best for your needs. Might as well get a plain white can called "Paste Wax" for 99 cents.

If you say to me that one wax is better than another, be prepared to prove WHY. Otherwise you might want to take it from an independant group of testers not sponsored with one dime from any manufacturer.

I consider myself a detailer. I talk with other detailers. I'm always trying to improve my trade because caring for automobile finishes gives me as much pleasure as driving them.

Some of the results are shocking, some aren't, but here they are.

I've used nearly ever product on this list and can stand by it.

All the products were bought off the shelf or online where they could find them. There was no advertising or sponsorship from any of the manufacturers, they purchased everything with their own money. Each product was compared in the exact same conditions daily for a 6 week period.

The products were eval'ed on:

price
amount of water beads using 500ml of water
bead size
shine
gloss
depth
clarity
reflectivity
slickness
color enhancement
overall impression, and
given a final grade in GPA format.
durability was also measured for each product and showed results after each week of environmentaly abuse (all at the same time) and after washing.

Dizzy yet? Good.

Road grime was not a factor in the tests unfortuantely, thats in the round two tests being conducted/prepared.

The grading was done in an A+ to F- fashion to form a GPA, and the results are below. This is not a bible, but its a very good indication real world how they perform against one another and how far your dollar really stretches.

1. Zaino Brother's Polish - second best looking and most durable of
all of the products. One of the only products to survive a week
long snow storm. Still provided protection after 7 months in the
elements. Most superior product and in the top 3 for ''looks'' too.

2. P21S Concours-look Carnuba - first best looking, then Zaino's
durability takes over after 3 weeks
3. Klasse All-in-One and Sealant Glaze
4. Armor All Protective Barrier
5. Pinnacle Souveran - third best looking, smells like
cocanut/banana and downright edible, Zaino's durability takes over
after 3 weeks
6. Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnuba
7. Rain Dance Premium - name doesn't imply best protection, go for
Zaino
8. Mother's California Gold Carnuba Cleaner - availability is
awesome
9. Collinite Marque D'Elegance
10. Mother's California Gold Pure Carnuba
11. Blackfire
12. Collinite Super Doublecoat - good for at lesat 3 months of
protection, even through ''touch'' drive through car washes several
times a month, on par with a synthetic for protection
13. Blitz One Grand
14. Turtle Wax Finish 2001
15. Eagle One Wet Polish and Wax
16. Griot's Garage Carnuba Paste Wax
17. Nu Finish
18. Meguiar's Gold Class
19. Turtle Wax Emerald Series
20. Prestone Bullet Eax
21. Griot's Garage Best of Show
22. Meguiar's Medallion
23. Turtle Eax Super Hard Shell
24. 3M Perfect-IT Show Car Paste
25. Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech
26. Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax
27. Turtle Eax Extreme Cleaner Wax
28. Eagle One Pure Carnuba
29. Zymol Carbon Carnuba
30. Finish First World Class Auto Polish
31. Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
32. Kit Carnuba Paste
33. Meguiar's #19 Professional Cleaner/Wax
34. Formula 113
35. Zymol SUV Zurtle Natural Liquid
36. Zymol Titanium Carnuba
37. Malm's Carnuba
38. Wizards Shine Master
39. Race Glaze
40. Zymol Concours Carnuba
41. The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
42. Gliptone Original Carnuba Paste
43. Rally Cream Wax
44. Gliptone Platnium Series Paste
45. Meguiar's Quik Wax - not a polish, used to take off dust and
small particles during show or protect from rubber/track residue or
chain/bike grease
46. Lemon Pledge - not a polish, used to take off dust and small
particles during show

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
here's what some simple off the shelf products will give you.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

honestly, for anything you plan on driving on the street, pro detailing just isn't worth it. before a show, absolutely! the shine will just that much better. but for a street car it's hard to justify when the first rainfall, dirt road will ruin any benefit.

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2006 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:
That looks like a walmart microfiber

It isn't, we buy them in bulk from a supplier overseas. And I won't say they are the best, in fact they aren't. But for what we use them for, they work great. We use about 60 per job. That is right, 60 PER CAR, PER DETAIL. Most of our clients have us do a full detail once a month, with a wash once a week. A wash uses about 15-20. So basically, we use about 120 microfibers per month, per car. It is sickening. They do not take well to being reused, few will. So it is better to not chance it, we do save some for our personal use, but never on a client's car. So we use cheap microfibers, but for the first few uses, a good one won't be any better, The good one will just last longer. But since we use these for washing, waxing, polishing, interiors, wheels, and windows, there is no room to reuse them, so we'd have to grab a new one anyways.

Thanks Mike OHIO, that pick turned out awesome.

Originally posted by fierce_gt:
not to be picky, but if i took my car to a pro detailer and they left their watch/jewelery on i'd probably leave and never come back. one slip and you got a lot of troubles.
just something to think about for you diy'ers, you're hands are probably as unsteady as mine, and you don't want your watch strap to put a big scratch in your paint

To be honest with you I don't know if he leaves it on our not. But with the people we deal with, a detailer who shows up with a $8,000 rolex is instantly better than one who shows up without a watch at all. Our clients don't know much about cars or detialing them, they don't need to. The watch may be a bad idea to one like you, but the image it gives the detailer makes him a lot of money. We havn't had an issue yet with messing up a customer's car because of something like that. We have made "boo-boo's" before, but we took the hit, fixed the problem the next day, acted as professionally as possible, and have managed to keep the client every time. Also, we never touch the car without a microfiber underneath our hand. So if we did slip, our forearm will land on the microfiber and not the car. It's quite depressing to finish a car, and have the client come up and rub the backside of his hand down the fender telling us how smooth it is....hehe

5000S

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 5000SSend a Private Message to 5000SDirect Link to This Post
Not quiet. It does not matter if you have a $8,000 a $50,000 or a fake $20 Rolex. Since almost 20 yrs. the Rolex brand has this "pimp" image - at least here in Europe. If you want to impress your customers get some more decent brand!
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post

To be honest with you I don't know if he leaves it on our not. But with the people we deal with, a detailer who shows up with a $8,000 rolex is instantly better than one who shows up without a watch at all. Our clients don't know much about cars or detialing them, they don't need to. The watch may be a bad idea to one like you, but the image it gives the detailer makes him a lot of money. We havn't had an issue yet with messing up a customer's car because of something like that. We have made "boo-boo's" before, but we took the hit, fixed the problem the next day, acted as professionally as possible, and have managed to keep the client every time. Also, we never touch the car without a microfiber underneath our hand. So if we did slip, our forearm will land on the microfiber and not the car. It's quite depressing to finish a car, and have the client come up and rub the backside of his hand down the fender telling us how smooth it is....hehe

it was more of a visual demonstration for those diy'ers. if they are prepared to fix any scratches they create, and obviously they would be able to fix 99% of any scratches they make with a watch, then it's not a big deal. although i don't know what you're talking about a watch making you money??? maybe it's different where you live, but i certainly wouldn't associate any amount of skill or care to a watch. in fact the ppl i trust most with car look like they might live at work because they can't afford a home(not true, but if we base on appearances).

anywho, the big point to the whole story, is that for the diy'ers, it's a simple step that is often overlooked. watches, bracelets, rings should all be removed when washing or detailing your car. it's worth the effort if it saves just one scratch in my mind

carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
Check out this site, some beautiful jobs and write-ups.
Especially look at some of the write-ups and there are alot of pics.
There tips are great too, alot of info on there.
http://www.showcargarage.com/forums/index.php
PFF
System Bot
Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
Man, I never knew you had to be so anal retentive to clean your car! Really, wash, rinse, wash, rinse, wash, rinse? Whenever I wash my '88 GT, I rinse it once to get it wet, wash it with a nice soft sponge, and rinse it to remove the remaining dirt and soap. I just dry it off with beach towels, making sure not the touch the ground and making sure to always go from the top down. Afterwards I use Meguiars Tech protectant on my interior, its superior to Armorall. With Armorall, you use it once, you must keep using it or else you will get a cracked dash. Here is my routine that I did for World of Wheels last month:

1. Sprayed my engine with some degreaser, I think any will do. Let sit for 10 minutes. Make sure that the engine is nice and cold first, I think you can crack the exhaust manifold by spraying cold water on a hot manifold.
2. Sprayed off the degreaser with the hose, trying to avoid any major electrical areas.
3. Turn the car on and let it run to get the engine and electrical dry.
4. Spray the engine and engine compartment with CD2 Engine Detailer. This stuff works wonders, it makes your engine nice and shiny. Make sure to try and avoid the exhaust manifolds, or else you will have to burn it off later.
5. Open the front compartment and spray off the radiator, try to avoid flooding the compartment with the spare tire, it doesn't appear to drain very well. Dry off the compartment with the spare. Spray the radiator area and the windshield wiper areas with CD2 Engine Detailer.
6. Go ahead and clean the interior. Vacuum it if it needs it. Dust it with a damp cloth, then use Meguiars Tech Protectant or your preferred product. Don't get it on the steering wheel or the shifter if you have a manual, it'll make them slick. Use your preferred glass cleaner on the windows, make sure to wipe it in and remove the streaks.
7. Wash. Park the car in a shady spot. I rinse it first with a sprayer to get it wet.
8. Continue washing by using your preferred car wash soap, mixed into a bucket with warm-hot water. I use a simple soft cloth sponge. Wash from the top down, and clean the hood and nose first and clean the rear last. The rear end of the car, along with the lowest areas, tend to be the dirtiest. On the Fiero, I usually go: roof, windshield, side glass, quarter windows, hood, nose, front fenders, decklid, doors, rear fenders, taillights, and the rear bumper. Make sure to rinse periodically so the soap doesn't get a chance to dry, and so the water doesn't get a chance to evaporate and leave water spots. If your water gets dirty (just a little greyish, NEVER black), replace it with fresh water. If you let the sponge itself get dirty, you've failed. If the sponge is dirty then you've been rubbing things into the paint.
9. Wash the tires and wheels, if the wheels are really dirty, use a wheel cleaner to cut through the brake dust. That usually calls for rinsing them, spraying the wheel cleaner and letting it sit for 1 minute, then washing it off. Use a shop rag or something to get the wheels clean. After that, spray the tires with tire cleaner, let it sit for a minute, then rinse it off and wipe.
10. Dry it off. I don't wash/rinse again. I use soft beach towels, they seem to do just fine. Don't let them contact the ground, and, once again, go from the top down. I usually open the hood and the decklid to get them to drip off a bit. I've tried chamois, didn't work for me. It left some...oily residue. Make sure to do the exterior of the car first with 1 towel, and have another towel for drying under the decklid. If you don't dry under the decklid, you'll get drips down the center of the taillights. Make sure to dry off the doorsills and under the doors, also remember that the side mirrors collect water and will drip on your doors if you don't get the insides dry. I usually rock the door back and forth the get the bulk of the water out of the mirrors, then stick a towel under the glass to soak up the remainder.
11. Let it sit for a couple of days so the CD2 Engine Detailer will cure. Place a clean, well-fitting cover over the car to keep dust off of it.
12. Drive to your show, bring your cleaning supplies with you.
13. At the show, use spray on wax or detailer to put on the finishing touches. Now is the time to use tire-black or some other tire-detailer. If you do it before now, you might put too much on and you'll end up with a bunch of oily-crap on your side mirrors and doors.
14. Done.

Besides what I just said there....I usually wax it using a buffer once a year. But that is a pain in the ass. The wax likes to get EVERYWHERE. Every little crevice gets wax in it, and it makes your car look bad. The front emblem is especially hard to deal with. Use a toothbrush to remove wax from normal crevices, and a toothpick on the front emblem. As for the other stuff, I'm too ADD and I don't have the stamina to spend all that time on my car, so I just give it basic washes once a month. From what my Dad says, constant washing wears on the paint. Honestly the car doesn't get very dirty, its always parked in the garage and it might get driven once a week, so I don't wash it that often.

I do have some questions though. How do you guys apply touch-up paint? Also, you haven't said anything about detailing/cleaning the engine yet, which is an important area. I've been considering taking my car to a detailing place instead, since I hate cleaning it all the time. Should I trust someone else to clean my car, and how much will it cost?

This is my car about a week after washing it, and about 1 year after its last wax:

Behold my nice, swirly paint!
------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/tinton

[This message has been edited by Tinton (edited 03-02-2006).]

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

I do have some questions though. How do you guys apply touch-up paint? Also, you haven't said anything about detailing/cleaning the engine yet, which is an important area. I've been considering taking my car to a detailing place instead, since I hate cleaning it all the time. Should I trust someone else to clean my car, and how much will it cost?

There is a place by my house called SKY! They do a good job. They charged me for a fast washing job and to have them clean the inside it was around 27 dollers.
To have them detail it it cost me around 50.00dollers. They do have some jobs that they will charged around 100 dollers and up.

For the engine, I use purple power. MAKE SURE YOU ENGINE IS NOT HOT! I will cover up the battery with a beach towel and spray it with the purple power and then spray it.

After that I will take a cloth and wipe it down to make sure that grease is all off.

Now for the touch up paint. I don’t know.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

sonic50

3873 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Part one.

Yes, yes I know it is not a fiero. But it should work for the fiero

STEP 1: REMOVE LEAVES & DEBRIS AROUND ENGINE COWLING AREA
Open the hood and brush this area to remove the leaves and other debris.

STEP 2: COOL THE ENTIRE ENGINE WITH RUNNING WATER
Never apply cleaner to a hot engine. Use a garden hose with a sprayer to quickly cool the surface and knock off heavy dirt. Pressure washers can also be used.

STEP 3: SPRAY THE ENGINE & UNDER THE HOOD
Spray the engine with #5 Motor Degreaser or #713 Special Cleaner Conc. properly diluted. DO NOT use solvent based cleaners! Spray product from the front, the left side, then the right side to cover all engine areas. This is called the "H" pattern of spraying. Don't forget to spray product under the hood. Keep #5 Motor Degreaser off painted surfaces.

STEP 4: CAREFULLY AGITATE VISIBLE ENGINE PARTS & HOSES WITH A BRUSH
Loosen the heavy dirt and grease with a brush. Use caution around delicate engine parts. Always wear protective eyewea

Part 2 on the way!

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

sonic50

3873 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Part 2!

STEP 5: CLEAN UNDER THE HOOD (without an insulator pad)
For hood undersides without an insulator pad, clean with #35 E-Z Suds® and a wash mitt. For cleaning hood undersides with an insulator pad see the next Step 5A.

STEP 5A: CLEAN UNDER THE HOOD (with an insulator pad)
Lightly hand rub the insulator pad with a towel to transfer the dirt. Do not use a wash mitt and suds.

Step 6 Use a garden hose and sprayer to rinse the product and dirt from the engine. Set the sprayer on a wide spray setting. Use the "H" pattern. Use extra caution when rinsing with pressure washers to avoid blowing off delicate parts, hoses, and over saturating the engine.

STEP 8: DRESS THE ENGINE FOR A NEW SHINE (optional)
To give your engine a new shine and blacken plastic and hoses, spray #65 Super Dress-It® directly onto the engine. No need to dry the engine first. Super Dress-It® will coat evenly.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

sonic50

3873 posts
Member since Aug 2004
Inside
The rule of thumb is to clean everything. Clean and condition all vinyl and rubber parts of your car's interior, including the dashboard and the insides of doors. Check the label on your cleaner to make sure that it is safe for vinyl and rubber, or purchase a specially formulated interior cleaner at an automotive store.

Clear out cubbyholes and coin trays and wipe them down. Use Q-tips to get into tight corners where lint and dirt build up. Apply upholstery cleaner to your seats and carpet stain remover to your carpets. If you have removable carpets or mats, take them out and wash them thoroughly.

You may want to apply a carpet deodorizer before you vacuum, or simply sprinkle some baking soda on your carpets. Vacuum the inside of your car thoroughly, using small attachments to get into all the corners. Clear out everything from your trunk and vacuum it. Arrange any items that need to stay in your trunk neatly in a milk crate. If you want, you can rent a steam cleaner to shampoo your upholstery and carpets. Finally, clean the insides of all the windows with a streak-free glass cleaner.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

sonic50

3873 posts
Member since Aug 2004
I found a online store about cleaning supplies.

Enjoy

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/index.html

[This message has been edited by sonic50 (edited 03-02-2006).]

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-02-2006 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

it was more of a visual demonstration for those diy'ers. if they are prepared to fix any scratches they create, and obviously they would be able to fix 99% of any scratches they make with a watch, then it's not a big deal. although i don't know what you're talking about a watch making you money??? maybe it's different where you live, but i certainly wouldn't associate any amount of skill or care to a watch. in fact the ppl i trust most with car look like they might live at work because they can't afford a home(not true, but if we base on appearances).

anywho, the big point to the whole story, is that for the diy'ers, it's a simple step that is often overlooked. watches, bracelets, rings should all be removed when washing or detailing your car. it's worth the effort if it saves just one scratch in my mind

Well the customers we deal with like to know that we are used to dealing with $500,000 cars on a daily basis, which we are. And dressing and acting the part has a big role on how you are recieved by the client. I'm not saying it is right, but it is how it works. As for our quality, we are the most expensive detailers in the greater San Diego area. But with this comes the best quality, and service. We're not very big, 2-3 people, but we have our hands full all the time.

I agree with your second point, jewerly should be removed for the average detailer/washer.

84fierotrevor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post

Well the customers we deal with like to know that we are used to dealing with $500,000 cars on a daily basis, which we are. And dressing and acting the part has a big role on how you are recieved by the client. I'm not saying it is right, but it is how it works. As for our quality, we are the most expensive detailers in the greater San Diego area. But with this comes the best quality, and service. We're not very big, 2-3 people, but we have our hands full all the time.

I agree with your second point, jewerly should be removed for the average detailer/washer.

I can garentee you are not the most expensive detaier in the greater san deigo area.

litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2006 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
I want to know how someone who lives in Colorado Springs, and goes to school in Oklahoma can own the most expensive detailing shop in San Diego...

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna take a jab question at aaron too. Just cuz it sounds real shadey.
Exactly what cars do you detail that are worth 500k?
Just by going by the cars in your Photobucket account I dont see any.
PFF
System Bot
jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashDirect Link to This Post
How about touch-up paint for the engine grills and air cleaner, vacuum cans, etc. I saw some duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel....will that work?
Shibbypoopalot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShibbypoopalotSend a Private Message to ShibbypoopalotDirect Link to This Post
Off-the-shelf stuff from work. Maguiar's NXT a week before the pic, and driven 120 miles before the pic was taken. Still looks this good. (old crappy cam and yes, I know its not a Fiero. AWD is a GOOD thing in MN)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/shibbypoopalot/My_Whip2.jpg
EDIT: and the bra was only on because it was sugar beet season... Big rigs piss me off.

[This message has been edited by Shibbypoopalot (edited 03-06-2006).]

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
i think this thread needs to be stickied... ALOT of good info in here... thanks guys! time to find some Zaino seems to be the one consistant product that everyone keeps bringing up.

------------------

AaronZ34

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-06-2006 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AaronZ34Click Here to visit AaronZ34's HomePageSend a Private Message to AaronZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fierotrevor:
I can garentee you are not the most expensive detaier in the greater san deigo area.

Really, cuz I can guarantee we are.

I'm gonna take a jab question at aaron too. Just cuz it sounds real shadey.
Exactly what cars do you detail that are worth 500k?
Just by going by the cars in your Photobucket account I dont see any.

You must be quite blind then. You see the Maybach? That alone was like 470 off the lot. This same client just bought another one, this time the full size one. They also have a new M5 that I havn't gotten pictures of yet. The SL65 was about 250, the 996 around 180, and so forth. I'd say the majority of our clients drive 100k-300k cars, mostly AMG Benzs and the like.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

How about touch-up paint for the engine grills and air cleaner, vacuum cans, etc. I saw some duplicolor low gloss black engine enamel....will that work?

I have painted my Vents on my 86SE. I went out and bought red engine paint and got. I brought them home and I used paint thiner to clean them up. I then washed them with the hoes and then painted them. I did 4 coats on each side. LOOK ok IMO.

NorthFloridaFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NorthFloridaFieroSend a Private Message to NorthFloridaFieroDirect Link to This Post

You must be quite blind then. You see the Maybach? That alone was like 470 off the lot. This same client just bought another one, this time the full size one. They also have a new M5 that I havn't gotten pictures of yet. The SL65 was about 250, the 996 around 180, and so forth. I'd say the majority of our clients drive 100k-300k cars, mostly AMG Benzs and the like.

I'm not blind. I'm still right. I guess I'll give ya that one. So one car and its not QUITE worth 500k. Does not matter. I do some nice cars myself. Looks like you do a good job.

FieroFarmGirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFarmGirlSend a Private Message to FieroFarmGirlDirect Link to This Post
my fiero is a daily driver, in the country, on a farm, and near a quarry. it gets REALLY dirty!

so here is one product i use, that hasnt been mentioned yet, for my interior when it gets real drity.
i use Mr Clean Magic Eraser.
when using lots of water, it can work magic on an interior.

------------------

CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobDirect Link to This Post
I use whatever the coin washer uses in his place sometimes I even spring for the extra quarter of time to put the spray on wax, then onto the interior I use a shopvac, and if Im feeling energetic, I will clean the inside with some lemon pledge and windex my windows..
Carswell...Wellscar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carswell...WellscarSend a Private Message to Carswell...WellscarDirect Link to This Post
i was told by a car who detailed cars for life one time to get into the nook and cranys of the engine is to use a cue tip ..which works well and would have to be patient of course but haven't tried it myself but thinking about it i would think they do a good job ..and a tooth brush seems to work well on the rims for me ...on the harder dirt takes some time but i think the brush wouldn't ruin any of the finish since its plastic correct?? i have 15" sunbird rims on my fiero ..so ya not like they are some nice 18" wheels and they are white so hard to tell if the tooth brush does scratch it ..would like to know if it actually does lol ..my 2 cents ..and sorry if they have been posted ..and thinking about it the cue tips would probably work well for the interier tight places too

matt

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock