Started on: 01-20-2006 06:31 AM
Replies: 52
Last post by: Marvin McInnis on 02-26-2006 11:03 AM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Huh, what's this?

Oooooohhhh.....

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No! It's the H7 low-rise Hella headlamp installation thread!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
SWEET!!

------------------
Proud Member of the North Florida Fiero club

4T60E Parks harness/ Rockcrawl chip-- more to come--

MidMOFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidMOFieroSend a Private Message to MidMOFieroDirect Link to This Post

Man that looks sweet.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
now now, baby step us ohh stone de yellow

------------------

Custom Fiero Fiberglass

3.8T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8TClick Here to visit 3.8T's HomePageSend a Private Message to 3.8TDirect Link to This Post
OH my............................looks to be very nice and promising!!! sweet!!!!!

i was thinkin HID but i heard its crap when you stick with out old square housing units....i have new ones from hella with a reg. hella bulb inside. sooooooo instead of paying for the whoel HID conversion, i would mind a nice twin set of hella rounds like that.....is one of them HID?
did u order that or make it yerself?

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
That looks very sharp. More pix please.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Progress on the left side...

Let it be light...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 01-20-2006).]

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
That looks awesome, I bet the light output is great too. I'm afraid to ask how much those hella lights cost you...

------------------

MetroMatt

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MetroMattClick Here to visit MetroMatt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MetroMattDirect Link to This Post
These are the best headlight adjustments I've seen. I havent found a flushmount headlight I liked, or a lower profileish headlight, this is excellent!
manofiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for manofieroClick Here to visit manofiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to manofieroDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap, that is freakin awesome!! how much does a setup like that cost?
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Very nice... What diameter are the lights? and how much were they?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
These are the lights: http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPortal/WebSite/Internet_usa/ProductsServices/Performance_Lighting/Conversion_Headlamps/Modules_90mm/Modules_90mm.jsp

I paid about 70 Euros (84 USD) for each lamp. I bought the frame from the guy who made my front - but it was the last one he had or would make...

IwannaIRM

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IwannaIRMSend a Private Message to IwannaIRMDirect Link to This Post
Awww, those are sweet...well, since he doesn't have anymore guess I can't talk you into bringing a set with you to the Frankfurt Main when I'm in town....LOL

They look great.

------------------
84 Fiero SE, Custom Hybrid (Updated to 88 wiring throughout, t-tops, V6, 5spd, Fastback, IMSA style whale tail, Formula bumpers and Held coil-overs) Navy Blue Metallic Paint custom wheels.
84 Fiero DGP/IMSA Widebody (Resurection has begun - maiden "work-in-progress" showing at Daytona)

Chewy_bjj

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chewy_bjjSend a Private Message to Chewy_bjjDirect Link to This Post
very nice. Your car continues to become even better looking.
ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post
How about some 'Do It Yourself' instructions.....
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I don't have the slightest idea how to make the frame. Looks like you'd need quite some tools for the job. Something to cut steel with, welder etc...

Installing the lights themselves is a no brainer. Remove the headlight assemblies incl. motor (4 #10 nuts), remove the headlight subassembly (the part that goes up and down), install the new frame in its place, install the Hellas using the included screws...

I still have to figure out how to adapt the plastic parts that keep you from looking inside the front compartment when the lights are open... I'll get to that tomorrow...

Originally posted by ToonTownfiero:

How about some 'Do It Yourself' instructions.....

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

I paid about 70 Euros (84 USD) for each lamp.

The U.S. legal (DOT compliant) versions of the 90 mm Hella modules are currently $58.75 each from Susquehanna Motor Sports, plus $6.70 per connector for the H-9 halogen bulbs, plus shipping. They also have the ECE (European) versions of the 90 mm Hella modules available for about twice that price.

I bought the frame from the guy who made my front - but it was the last one he had or would make...

If "the guy" is not going to make any more, can you ask him if he would consider publishing plans or drawings? The frames look really well designed, and some people might even be willing to pay him a reasonable amount for a copy.

For more on these headlights, with lots of pictures, see an earlier thread on the same subject.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-20-2006).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2006 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

If "the guy" is not going to make any more, can you ask him if he would consider publishing plans or drawings? Some people might even be willing to pay for a copy.

I know I would.......

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

If "the guy" is not going to make any more, can you ask him if he would consider publishing plans or drawings? The frames look really well designed, and some people might even be willing to pay him a reasonable amount for a copy.

Plans would be very nice to have. I was thinking about going with a flush mount set but I like this set up much better.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
The reason I don't even name "the guy" is that I paid him 700 Euros for the complete setup, frame, lights, cabling, custom made plastic housing back in July 2005. Fortunately, he gave me the frames right away. Since then, nothing but "wait a little more", not answering the phone, not responding to messages. I actually went to a lawyer with thi already. I ended up buying the lamps myself and trying to figure out the rest as I go.

So, even though me makes/sells great stuff, I wouldn't advise anyone to try and have the same experience. At least I'm in the same country...

For more on these headlights, with lots of pictures, see an earlier thread on the same subject.

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
Sounds like I've got another project to figure out for myself... Feel free to take some more photos of the set up from different angles, that might help us to put one of these ourselves. Ppppppppppppplease?
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

The reason I don't even name "the guy" is that I paid him 700 Euros for the complete setup ....

So, even though me makes/sells great stuff, I wouldn't advise anyone to try and have the same experience. At least I'm in the same country...

Now I understand. I'm sorry to hear that you have the problem, but thanks for the heads-up for the rest of us.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
More finetuning today, lots of cutting of the headlight covers to make the frame and lights fit right. Still haven't started with the right side...

Progress pix:

Low beams:

High beams:

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 01-21-2006).]

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
you really need to try and make patterns of that housing assembly. there are some of us that are resourceful enough to come up with something that will work if we have enough information. PLEASE TRY AND MAKE SOME PATTERNS!

This is amazing.... now there is at least 3 people with this setup....

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)
1987 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (learners bike)

alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2006 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstone,

Congrats on your install. Your car looks outstanding. Could it be possible for you to take the measurement of the frame? Ex. LxWxH and also the size of the holes for the lights. Thanks

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Both sides done but still stuff to connect and clean up...

Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2006 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome!!

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL!!!

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
awesome, i wish i could get a setup like that
doublec4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2006 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
wow

I'd have to say that your fiero looks convincingly like a high end sports car. Everything looks, "right" and somewhat exotic but it still maintains most of the fiero lines. Awesome job.

------------------

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I have a question for the electronics guys: The way I have wired the new lights now, the low beams go off when I switch to high beams. How can I wire the setup so that the high beams come on IN ADDITION to the low beams?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
You probably want wire in a relay for that(the easy way to to just add a jumper across the hi/lo switch). I don't know if the current draw would be too much for the one wire into the headlight switch.

I would jumper the 12v-on and low beam wires into the hi/lo switch(make a heavy wire jumper) and cut the hi-beam wire and put them into a relay using the hi beam switch to trigger it.,

I like the lights...nice job.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 01-26-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
wow... that is really nice... thats something ive always wanted to do but always but on the back burner behind other projects or maintenance type stuff... very nice. i love it.

------------------

ToonTownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToonTownfieroClick Here to visit ToonTownfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ToonTownfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

Yellowstone,

Congrats on your install. Your car looks outstanding. Could it be possible for you to take the measurement of the frame? Ex. LxWxH and also the size of the holes for the lights. Thanks

I agree.
Aparently Yellowstone doesn't want to share the design though.
Just my personal opinion but I think that if Yellowstone were to chop the top on that car then It would be my new favorite wich is currently Curly's silver Choptop.
It's not even just because a car needs to be a choptop to be complete I just think the chop look suits those cars.
Good job Yellowstone.

[This message has been edited by ToonTownfiero (edited 01-26-2006).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

I have a question for the electronics guys: The way I have wired the new lights now, the low beams go off when I switch to high beams. How can I wire the setup so that the high beams come on IN ADDITION to the low beams?

Here is a simple and elegant technique that I have used on several different cars: Connect a rectifier diode rated at 15 amps (or higher) and 50 volts (or higher) between the low-beam and high-beam circuits. You can do this near one of the headlights (probably the best location), at the dimmer switch, or at any convenient point in between. The cathode of the diode (the end marked with the band) should connect to the low-beam side of the circuit. In operation, current will flow through the diode from the high-beam side to the low-beam side, but not in the opposite direction. There will be a slight voltage drop (~1 volt) through the diode, so the low beams will dim slightly when the high beams are on, but the effect is not noticable and it actually prolongs the life of the low-beam bulbs.

The diode will produce some heat (~5 watts) when you are using the high-beams, so you should try to keep it as cool as possible. It will fail if its temperature gets above about 125 degrees C. Some diodes are in a case that can be clamped to a convenient body panel as a heat sink, which is ideal. (Just be careful not to short either of the diode's leads to ground.) However, I have had good results just mounting the diode out in free air. If you think about it, in the Fiero there is a lot of cooling air moving around the headlights, especially when you are driving fast enough to need the high beams. The important thing is not to locate the diode somplace where it will be thermally insulated. You also don't want the diode to be in physical/thermal contact with anything that might burn.

About the only thing that will cause the diode to fail is overheating. But if it does fail, one of two things will happen: 1) headlight operation will revert to original (low beams go off when the high beams are on), or 2) all four headlights will remain on continuously, regardless of whether you select high beams or low beams. At any time, simply removing the diode from the circuit will restore normal headlight operation.

Caution: The Fiero (at least the '88 model) uses a self-resetting breaker in the headlight circuit. Illuminating all four headlights at the same time may cause the circuit breaker to trip ... usually at a most inconvenient time ... so you need to have several hours of testing on your conversion before trying a high-speed midnight run on the autobahn! The standard H7 bulbs in the Hella 90 mm ECE modules are rated at 55 watts (each), which is 220 watts total with all four modules illuminated, so you will probably be OK ... but you need to know for sure. If the breaker does trip with all four headlights illuminated ... very dangerous and scary in the extreme (I have been there) ... you will need to design a different circuit.

Incidentally, the factory service manual indicates that the gauge of the Fiero headlight wires is 1 mm (~16 AWG). U.S. aircraft practice (per FAA publication EA-AC 43.13-1A) allows a maximum operating current of 13 amps (continuous load) and 26 amps (peak intermittent load) in bundled 16 AWG wires. Since all four H7 bulbs together will draw about 16 amps, the stock Fiero wiring will be marginal from an engineering standpoint although it will probably still work OK in practice.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 01-26-2006).]

twofatguys

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twofatguysSend a Private Message to twofatguysDirect Link to This Post
What would be sweet is if I could find these lights somewhere around here.
Brad
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by twofatguys:

What would be sweet is if I could find these lights somewhere around here.

In case you missed it earlier, the Hella 90 mm modules are available in the U.S. from Susquehanna Motor Sports

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Not true. I have taken detailed pix and took measurements for a forum member who asked first and who wants to reproduce those brackets. I'll give him some time to do so and I'm sure you'll all find out when he starts offering them...

Originally posted by ToonTownfiero:

I agree.
Aparently Yellowstone doesn't want to share the design though.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Thanks, + to you and Joe...

Here is a simple and elegant technique that I have used on several different cars: Connect a rectifier diode rated at 15 amps (or higher) and 50 volts (or higher) between the low-beam and high-beam circuits. You can do this near one of the headlights (probably the best location), at the dimmer switch, or at any convenient point in between. The cathode of the diode (the end marked with the band) should connect to the low-beam side of the circuit. In operation, current will flow through the diode from the high-beam side to the low-beam side, but not in the opposite direction. There will be a slight voltage drop (~1 volt) through the diode, so the low beams will dim slightly when the high beams are on, but the effect is not noticable and it actually prolongs the life of the low-beam bulbs.

The diode will produce some heat (~5 watts) when you are using the high-beams, so you should try to keep it as cool as possible. It will fail if its temperature gets above about 125 degrees C. Some diodes are in a case that can be clamped to a convenient body panel as a heat sink, which is ideal. (Just be careful not to short either of the diode's leads to ground.) However, I have had good results just mounting the diode out in free air. If you think about it, in the Fiero there is a lot of cooling air moving around the headlights, especially when you are driving fast enough to need the high beams. The important thing is not to locate the diode somplace where it will be thermally insulated. You also don't want the diode to be in physical/thermal contact with anything that might burn.

About the only thing that will cause the diode to fail is overheating. But if it does fail, one of two things will happen: 1) headlight operation will revert to original (low beams go off when the high beams are on), or 2) all four headlights will remain on continuously, regardless of whether you select high beams or low beams. At any time, simply removing the diode from the circuit will restore normal headlight operation.

Caution: The Fiero (at least the '88 model) uses a self-resetting breaker in the headlight circuit. Illuminating all four headlights at the same time may cause the circuit breaker to trip ... usually at a most inconvenient time ... so you need to have several hours of testing on your conversion before trying a high-speed midnight run on the autobahn! The standard H7 bulbs in the Hella 90 mm ECE modules are rated at 55 watts (each), which is 220 watts total with all four modules illuminated, so you will probably be OK ... but you need to know for sure. If the breaker does trip with all four headlights illuminated ... very dangerous and scary in the extreme (I have been there) ... you will need to design a different circuit.

Incidentally, the factory service manual indicates that the gauge of the Fiero headlight wires is 1 mm (~16 AWG). U.S. aircraft practice (per FAA publication EA-AC 43.13-1A) allows a maximum operating current of 13 amps (continuous load) and 26 amps (peak intermittent load) in bundled 16 AWG wires. Since all four H7 bulbs together will draw about 16 amps, the stock Fiero wiring will be marginal from an engineering standpoint although it will probably still work OK in practice.

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Thanks...

You're welcome.

I've thought a little more about it, and from an electrical standpoint the best place to connect the rectifier diode is right at the Headlight Dimmer Switch. That way the wires to the headlights (circuits 11 and 12 in the diagram) would only have to carry the original 8 amps each. This assumes, of course, that you can safely mount the diode behind the dash and still keep it cool and that the circuit breaker never trips with all four headlights illuminated. The maximum headlight current in the wire between the Light Switch and the Headlight Dimmer Switch (circuit 10 in the diagram) would still be 16 amps, but it would probably be relatively easy to replace that short piece with a heavier gauge wire (i.e. 1.5 mm, 12 AWG).

If you try this, post back and let us know how it works for you.

Byrd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2006 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ByrdSend a Private Message to ByrdDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome. Your car is one of my favorites if not favorite. Any pics of the new setup at night? Good luck with the other side.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock