Started on: 12-22-2005 02:26 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 12-23-2005 12:25 PM
FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
For the past couple years I have tried to contact and convince Lexmar to do another run of GT Sail Windows and was not very successfull in getting responses. I then made contact with someone at FieroStore and was successfull at getting a gent there to contact Lexmar. My hope was someone from a big company would get attention where I had failed. Matt from FieroStore was indeed successfull in contacting Lexmar and attempted to convince them to do another run of windows. Sadly this was the email I just recieved.

Michael:

I talked to Lexamar and they will not run another batch of quarter windows for several reasons:

1. They seem to have no interest unless it's a large OEM production
2. The acrylic coating that was used is no longer available
3. The paint that was used is no longer available

Even if they did want to make another batch, I would be concerned that the tooling needs restoration (which would be expensive) because the quality of the last batch of windows we saw from GM was pretty poor.

The aftermarket windows that we sell are as close to original as we've seen. We looked into screen printing them, but we could not find a screen printer with a vacuum table who was willing to help.

I am very sorry that I could not send you better news.

Happy Holidays,
Matt
The Fiero Store

I did not ask what was needed to constitute a "large OEM production" order, mainly because I have a feeling the number of sets they want to produce is probably more than there are GT's on the road now, or close to it...

I am currently looking into vaccuum molding and screen printing because I want OEM quality within 95% accuracy. And honestly nobody out there right now is doing it. There is a guy on ebay whom I believe has come the closest. But he has not responded to several emails I have sent requesting more accurate pics or description regarding overall curvature. Yes I know it has the front curve, what I have always wanted and never seen, is the overall twist and bend over the entire window, so that the reflections on the surface are a consistant distorted bend, and not muttled and randomly distorted due to waves and ripples over the surface of the window (does this make sense?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-88-FIERO-GT-QUARTER-WINDOW-SET-SAIL-PANELS-86-87-88_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6781QQitemZ8024051983QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Anyways, I was bumbed out to say the least. But I figure eventually someone will want it bad enough eventually and make it happen. I am going to see if that person is me I guess.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
You do realize that the windows on ebay are just like the ones that doug kinney is selling now, he gets them screen printed and everything, just doesnt have the "curve" on the other angle that your looking for, Maybe you can go in partner with doug (www.fierowarehouse.com) and find the tooling to curve the windows and show him how and where to get it so he can start making them just like the OEM windows.

matthew

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
You might want to contact Chris West. He's looking into it.

I wonder if Lexmar would be willing to *sell* the tooling, since they don't intend to re-run the quarter windows again?

[This message has been edited by fierobear (edited 12-22-2005).]

FieroMonkey

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2005 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMonkeySend a Private Message to FieroMonkeyDirect Link to This Post
hmm, possibilities. Apparently the tooling that Lexmar still has is in need of repair. I got another email from Matt and I gather from him that they were a bit short over the idea (hmm never had that kind of hostility over the Fiero in the automotive industry before...).

however, it would be interesting to see how willing they would be to part with the tooling they do have, and if so, what price they would want. I also wonder what permission if any would be needed from GM.

I'm curious to see what Chris West is doing on these as well. Doug is close, but like I said the curve is still not quite there, and the DoT matrix although similar is not quite right. They seem like such a simple part to produce, yet they must be tougher than they look given what we have available.

007DOUG

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 007DOUGSend a Private Message to 007DOUGDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:
however, it would be interesting to see how willing they would be to part with the tooling they do have, and if so, what price they would want. I also wonder what permission if any would be needed from GM.

I have checked into some of these possibilities before. Honestly, its not worth the time or effort. You (FieroMonkey), are willing to pay the price for an OEM reproduction window. However, the other 97% of fiero owners aren't going to pay the price, and will only complain about the price. This is one reason why there are so few aftermarket fiero parts available.

I made a GT window that's as close as I can make them, without costing $600/pair. I've sold well over 600 pair in all my years. I see no reason to change what I'm doing.

------------------
4 Indys, 1 is A/C delete
84 Black/Silver T-top custom
85 GT speedster project
86 GT Yellow
88 GT White, T-top, 5 speed.

However......
"Time is the most precious and perishable of my possessions."

Buy IRM, again! at www.fierowarehouse.com

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMonkey:

hmm, possibilities. Apparently the tooling that Lexmar still has is in need of repair.

Chris West's shop is a machine shop. Maybe they'd be able to do the necessary repairs? Or know someone who can?

oneday

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onedaySend a Private Message to onedayDirect Link to This Post
doug if you could PM me i have a couple of questions to ask you????
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2005 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I have also looked into this locally.

I have taken a window into a shop near me that is willing to make them up. One problem, they are not sure that the exact color of tint is still available. They said they can match the curves and edges exactly as the original. A mold will have to be made so they can be vacuum formed. I was quoted CAN$2000 per side for the molds (CAN$4000 total). They will also require a set of windows that they can take the mold from (these windows will be destroyed in the process - however they did say they can still make up the mold from a broken window by piecing it together, but all the part are needed). The cost of each window is then CAN$200. Plus, I assume the windows will need the screening done.

I figured that the cost would be in the US$5-600 range for a pair of windows, not sure if there is enough interest at this cost level vs buying a set for a couple of hundred dollars that may not have the exact shape.

...anyways, email me directly if you want more info...
Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 12-23-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock