Started on: 10-31-2005 11:45 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: exoticse on 11-23-2005 11:33 AM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I figured I'd give you guys/gals a little sneak peek into the body mods I'm working on for my Fiero.

After trying different styles of spoilers (OEM wing, high-rise wing, '68 Camaro wedge), I wasn't fully satisfied with any of them. But I did learn that I like the blade-style spoiler (ala NASCAR) the most. So I decided to build a "proof of concept" blade spoiler for my Fiero.

Here are the parts involved:

-- One 1/8" x 6" x 72" slab of fiberglass (McMaster-Carr part # 3345K41)
-- Four 2.5" steel brackets
-- a bunch of SAE #10 machine bolts, washers, and nuts

The total price for the materials (including shipping, and a can of primer) was about $40.

The first thing I did was to tape the brackets onto the decklid. If you look at the photo below, you'll notice that they're taped to the backside of the lid. This will put the spoiler about 45° from horizontal.

The next step is to lay the slab of fiberglass across the brackets, and center it. Since the back of the car is not straight, there will be gaps between the fiberglass and the deck on either side. Try to make sure the gaps are equal size.

Then use a ruler and marker to duplicate the decklid curve onto the fiberglass. If you look closely at the next photo, you can see the line I marked.

Then mark the other edges of the spoiler. The resulting pattern should resemble this:

Then cut it out, and test-fit it (with the brackets still taped onto the decklid).

I found that my brackets were spaced too far outboard. The outside edges of the spoiler didn't cover them. So I relocated the outer brackets.

Once I was satisfied with the setup, I drilled holes in the decklid and the spoiler "blade", painted the fiberglass piece, and bolted it all together. I used acorn nuts on the spoiler "blade" for a more finished look. Here are a couple photos:

Keep in mind that this is not the finished product. This is basically the beginning of a R&D project. But I kinda like it already.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fierotrevor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 351
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fierotrevorSend a Private Message to 84fierotrevorDirect Link to This Post
Very cool
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Good concept! Tom Schmidt in Wisconsin has something similar to that, but his is folded metal (steel I assume) - and it appears adjustable (although from looking at it, I don't believe that it is)...

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Is there a Mr. Fusion mounted on the center console of Tom's car?
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
looks good , got a couple rear shots?
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few.

Don't mind the beat-up rear fascia. It's temporary, 'til the original is ready to re-install.

BTW, good news! It seems the spoiler actually works! I taped some paper strips to the top edge (1/4" wide x 4" long strips, spaced 4" apart), and took a spin on the freeway. I was able to to crank it up to about 80-85 MPH in a couple short bursts. Glancing at the rearview mirror, the paper strips seemed to be streaming straight out from the spoiler (i.e. 45° from horizontal). That's pretty promising.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-03-2005).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

What interests me are the trumpets up top. Interesting use of our exhaust flanges, but for what purpose?

Arn

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

What interests me are the trumpets up top. Interesting use of our exhaust flanges, but for what purpose?

Just aesthetics AFAIK...

Toaster_Man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Toaster_ManSend a Private Message to Toaster_ManDirect Link to This Post
Looks like they are for increasing the air flow to the engine compartment, because he also has a funcional side scoop.

I'm curious whether air is intended to be pushed into the trumpets or sucked out of them, because it's my understanding that at that height on the car the air flow gets a little funny. I'm leaning towards sucked out though because it seems kind of counterproductive to create a cushion of high preassure under the rear of the car. Especially after adding a wing like that.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I tend to think they're there to suck as well. The air flow over the roof and the height of the wing kind of say that he expected air to flow past the trumpets and over the wing.

The adjustable spoiler under the wing would make that possible in theory.

Arn

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Arns85GT

11159 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Here are a few.

Now that we highjacked your thread successfully any shots of your nose? I see you have recessed lights and a hood vent. Are these home fabbed as well?

Arn

PFF
System Bot
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2005 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
hmmmmm nascar fiero...nice...tim
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
OK, a couple more non-spoiler-related photos... but that's it!

Here's the list of mods to the front end:
-- Kris Munson's headlights
-- Hella driving lights
-- Unfinished hood vent*
-- Skitime style air dam
-- "Big Mouth" grille mod (to accomodate the driving lights)
-- Moroso coolant recovery tank (to accomodate the hood vent)
-- Norm's front-mounted battery kit

* I accidentally mixed a bad batch of resin, which didn't harden properly. So now I have to start over.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-03-2005).]

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
That would most likely prevent air from under the car from back-filling into the void behind the rear window. Interesting concept.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That's the idea, anyway. This spoiler was meant to act like an "air dam in reverse" to keep air from doing what you described. In theory, this would reduce turbulence above the rear deck, resulting in less aero drag. Plus, the reduced "backfill" should allow more air to escape the engine bay vents... which would suction more air from under the car, and increase downforce.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice descript and thanks. I am curious about where you mounted your Moroso recovery tank though.

First question, where did you put it?

I like your nose air dam idea, and your large mouth grill intake.

This should help your spoiler out.

Second question, have you experimented with the angle of the spoiler?

Third question, what will the hood vent end up being, one big one or a divided one?

Arn

OK, one more non-spoiler-related photo... but that's it!

Here's the list of mods to the front end:
-- Kris Munson's headlights
-- Hella driving lights
-- Unfinished hood vent*
-- Skitime style air dam
-- "Big Mouth" grille mod (to accomodate the driving lights)
-- Moroso coolant recovery tank (to accomodate the hood vent)
-- Norm's front-mounted battery kit

* I accidentally mixed a bad batch of resin, which didn't harden properly. So now I have to start over.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The Moroso tank is near the stock location, just a little lower. It's about half the size of the OEM tank, which frees up alot of airspace in that area. It holds about 1.5 quarts, which is enough (just barely).

The hood vent is just one big opening. The leading edge curves up from the hood, and the trailing edge dips down into the hood. This allows me to maximize the size of the opening (in the vertical dimension) without cutting deep into the storage compartment... so I can keep the spare tire, which holds the battery in place. Also, the "flip-up" on the leading edge helps to direct airflow over the windshield.

I haven't played around with the spoiler's angle of attack. After all, the brackets are rigid. But I won't rule out future experiments. Ultimately, I want something that more resembles a whale-tail. So more R&D is in order.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 11-01-2005).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Blacktree. BTW I like the looks.

------------------

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Functional and good looking,..impressive.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2005 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I'm going to leave the spoiler alone for awhile, whilst I get my rear fascia done and back on the car. I think you guys will like the fascia mod.

goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2005 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post
bumping so it is at the top so don't have to search for it.
PFF
System Bot
goatnipples2002

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for goatnipples2002Click Here to visit goatnipples2002's HomePageSend a Private Message to goatnipples2002Direct Link to This Post

From another thread but figured I post it here too.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2005 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the compliments, guys.

I'm going to leave the spoiler alone for awhile, whilst I get my rear fascia done and back on the car. I think you guys will like the fascia mod.

Hey Blacktree,

I am just a couple miles up the road near Seaworld, would like to check out your project sometime !

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock