Started on: 06-15-2005 12:55 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: yellowstone on 01-19-2006 05:44 PM
RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I installed some Mr. Mike’s lower door panels today and thought I would pass along some things that I learned while doing the project. I have decided to make this its own thread for future reference. Please forgive me for posting two related topics about the same project. This one is the “How To” and “Avoid My Mistakes” version for those of you who want more detailed instructions.

First, a note about the panels from Mr. Mike. The stitching is arrow straight and shape was a perfect fit for the contour of the door. The panels are three layers thick. There is the leather, a cloth and padding layer, and the cardboard layer. 1st rate quality.

***Mr. Mike’s Instructions***
“1. Remove the door panel from the car.”

– Nothing to add to that. Straight foreword.

“2. Remove the old carpet by spraying it with starting fluid spray”.

– Soak it. It makes the glue let go fairly easy. I wore a respirator and still held my breath. Gloves are a must. Do not smoke during this step.

Be careful on the backside of the door so as to not damage the upper part of the lower door panel when peeling the carpet away. I used a large piece of cardboard cut to fit the top of the panel where I did not want spray.

Carpet peeled away with the cardboard shield in place.

“3. Spray glue the cardboard of the door panel (even though it is sticky), and the back of the new lower leather panel”.

-This is another place where the shield came in handy. I wanted to get the glue all the way to the top but did not want to get it above were the leather would be. Glue at the top is good. You do not want the top of the panel to separate from the door because you did not use enough. Spray the edges of the door panel.

Don’t worry about spaying the last 1 inch of the sides and bottom of the leather at this point. It will give you a clean place to hold on to it in the next step.

“4. Position the top edge of the leather panel to the bottom of the original vinyl top. Press on”.

-Be very careful to line it up right. Having to pull it back up at this point is not good. Your hands will be a little messy from the glue at this point and you do not want to touch the front of your leather if possible. I used my forearm to smooth it and roll the material over the sides to avoid touching it with my hands.

“5. Lift up on the leather, lightly spray the foam with glue, smooth out the leather”.

-I messed up a little here but fortunately it turned out well anyway. The bad area was covered by the armrest.

The key word it lightly. You do not want to saturate the padding between the leather and the cardboard. Use only enough to hold the leather in place, otherwise it will glue the foam padding flat and you will be able to see dimples in the finished product.

Be careful not to pull the leather up too high. You will seperate it from the cardboard where it is guled to the armrest hole.

“6. Turn the door panel over. Glue – wrap – and staple the edges. Trim around the slots for the door panel clips”.

- The edges that hang over the back should be fairly glue free if you followed the earlier suggestion. This is a great time to trim around the door panel clips as stated by Mr. Mike.

- Once you are satisfied with the fit, spray the edges of the leather that hang over and the area on the backside of the door where it will be folded over. Leave as much leather as you can because this will give it more area for the glue to stick. I sprayed it liberally.

- Be aware that the spray glue is web like and may have stringers that fall over the edge onto the other side. Be careful not to let them stick to the front of your panel.

- Use short staples if you can. The tendency is for them to go through the door and try to punch out the front. I avoided punching holes in the front of the leather by stapling at an angle and was successful.

- Working on a sawhorse kept my work off of the ground. I believe that it prevented contamination.

See the evoloution of my interior.

------------------
87 Fiero SE

[This message has been edited by RACE (edited 09-16-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RACE:
Having to pull it back up at this point is not good. Your hands will be a little messy from the glue at this point and you do not want to touch the front of your leather if possible. I used my forearm to smooth it and roll the material over the sides to avoid touching it with my hands.

One thing I've found that works well....

Do all the initial messy stuff wearing latex/nitrile gloves - when you get to the above phase - pop off the gloves, and presto! New hands!

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Now then, does the Fiero have a nice Lincoln leathery smell on the inside?
Oh, gotta repair the center elbow area. Can this be done in leather also?

Sincerely,

Kevin J. Sullivan
kevinsullivan@frontiernet.net
916-600-6482

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2005 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
Right now is smells like spray glue and probably will for a couple of days. After that it will be very pleasant. When I did the seats it was the same story

The center leather is also available from MrMikes. It is more of a center armrest cover like you would find on a Lazy Boy rocker. I am not totally sold on them yet but hope to see one in person at the next Mall of America meet.

You can get them atMr. Mikes Fiero Extras

Doc-

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2006 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc-Send a Private Message to Doc-Direct Link to This Post
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask a few more questions. What type of spray glue is used for the Mr. Mikes panels? Also, I'm a bit fuzzy on how Mr. Mikes panels are put together. Is it padded leather that you glue to the door or does the new panel have its own cardboard layer that gets glued to the door? Thanks.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Mike makes all kinds of things for the door, see //www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20041015-1-043081.html

The leather armrests have been discontinued....

Originally posted by RACE:

Right now is smells like spray glue and probably will for a couple of days. After that it will be very pleasant. When I did the seats it was the same story

The center leather is also available from MrMikes. It is more of a center armrest cover like you would find on a Lazy Boy rocker. I am not totally sold on them yet but hope to see one in person at the next Mall of America meet.

You can get them atMr. Mikes Fiero Extras

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock