Got my CRX CIA on ;) by 88gtNewb
Started on: 10-04-2005 05:54 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Greg Z on 10-07-2005 04:23 PM
88gtNewb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Need a little modification, but was pretty straightforwards.
Click here to listen

That's sitting inside the car with the window down. The file doesn't really do it justice, it's rediculusly loud! It's like a hissing snake on steroids. Might actually be too loud, but it's got to perform better than the stock intake, looked pretty restrictive.

Do all the CIAs sound so loud, or is it just this one?

------------------

Fiero. Die Form besticht. Die Technik überzeugt.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
Copy Cat ...
Ps Prepare To Replace The "coupler" Going From The Tube To The TB ...As Soon As It Gets Hot It Will Rip

Mine Has The Same Noise

Its Kinda Nice ..When The Hiss Goes Away You Know Something Is Wrong lol

------------------
"This car is so good looking its almost indecent. - AutoWeek on the new 1986 GT"

Chilliwack Fieros
MSN Messanger tylercaddick@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by ZeroC (edited 10-04-2005).]

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
Ah, thanks, good to know. I noticed Mopac has some nice couplers, made for turbo systems, that should hold up much better.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice install.

One thing I can suggest, which worked well for me is a baffle at the wheel well entry point. I used a mouse pad which I cut to fit just a little small and added a dozen small slits to create pressure. I then laid it on the openning. It stayed put. It kept the engine bay heat away from the filter.

It does so sound really neat eh?

Arn

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, I agree there should be a baffle there. I've got an old floor mat I think I can make work.

I already had one person tell me it sounded "exotic" haha. I think I'll learn to love the sound.

Zreon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZreonSend a Private Message to ZreonDirect Link to This Post
Is the hissing as loud as with no intake at all? I've had my car running a couple times when I first got it with no hose on the TB at all and it was insanely loud.
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zreon:

Is the hissing as loud as with no intake at all? I've had my car running a couple times when I first got it with no hose on the TB at all and it was insanely loud.

Yes, it is. I took mine off because I couldn't take it anymore (my Fiero is my daily driver during the summer).

Please don't flame me for this, just stating my opinion.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2005 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
A good compromise is removing the water diverter box in the fenderwell and running a flex hose from the fender vent to the bottom of the OEM air cleaner. You get some intake roar, and the hiss is much more muted.

Since the OEM air intake setup is just as good as no air cleaner at all on a dyno (for a stock 2.8) you don't lose any HP. The only benefits are sound, and for the CRX CAI, looks.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Now you need a ported throttle body, that'll make the air sound like it's spliting..
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Need to put mine back on, had to take it off for smog. Probably get a tiny bit better milage with it, since right now I have a stock box on there with a paper filter and its sucking in hot engine air. I'll do it tomarrow when I change my oil, I miss the sound! Thanks to Arn for selling it to me!
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
You're welcome.

Here is what replaced it. And, no, it does not sound as cool as the CRX intake, but it breathes real good.

Arn

PFF
System Bot
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
i just put the crx cai on my car a couple of weeks ago. the hissing at idle is driving me crazy, it sounds like a massive vacuum leak. also i cannot hear any intake roar like i thought, that may be because of my borla exhaust drowning it out. no roar and massive hissing equals factory intake going back on tommorow wwater diverter removed!

------------------
Indy, 85 gt, Formula,GMC Indy Hauler project truck, 00 Navigator(9 tv's,22's,ghostflames,PS2,X-Box,etc...)69 Camaro 400hp350 4sp

[This message has been edited by Greg Z (edited 10-08-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock