GMC Indy Hauler by Greg Z
Started on: 09-12-2005 09:29 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 10-16-2005 09:43 PM
Greg Z

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
ok, i have been given the green light by my wife to find and build a indy hauler jimmy. i have been searching the web for any info and cannot find anything. would simply like to get some better pictures all around the truck in the least. does anyone know of anything about these trucks that can help? also, how many of you think i would have to stay with an 84 or could i get a newer one and put 84 grille and whatnot. for the interior i'm thinking red carpet, indy style seats and such. anyway what do you think?

------------------
Indy, 85 gtx2, Formula, 00 Navigator(9 tv's,22's,ghostflames,etc...)69 Camaro 400hp350 4sp

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Well, a lot of people have talked about doing something like this including myself. If you do it I believe you will be the first.
There is not a lot of pics showing different angles of the trucks that I have seen so far.
Here is pretty much what has been posted on PFF in the past on this subject:

Steve

t76racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2005 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for t76racerSend a Private Message to t76racerDirect Link to This Post
That would be cool, you could prety much bolt in a fiero motor too. Make me think.
ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
I did some research on this a while ago and from what I discovered it that GM never made these. The truck at the track was a one-off and I can’t even find where it is today.
It would be cool to make one the door stickers would have to be made and could get pricey.

------------------

85 SE (My first love)
84 Indy 4 Speed
84 Indy Auto 44,000 miles

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by t76racer:

That would be cool, you could prety much bolt in a fiero motor too. Make me think.

hey i didn't think of that, could you put the intake system of the fiero in the 2.8 in the truck?

ohioindy- i plan in replicating all the decals as close as possible. thier is a sign shop here that can do that. that is why i really need different angles of pictures on the jimmy.

what do ya'll think about the year question i asked? i'm getting ready to walk out the door to go to the auctions and hopefully find my project truck. c-ya!

WauseonFieroMan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WauseonFieroManSend a Private Message to WauseonFieroManDirect Link to This Post
I've owned my fair share of S10s and I can honestly say that the parts are very interchangable...I had a 91 Sonoma that I busted up the front end on and used an S10 grill on it. The only difference in my case was I needed to get the plastic parts that go around the headlights since my grille was all one piece but they were cheap from JC Whitney. When I replaced the fenders & hood we just called the junkyard and said we needed older S10 fenders and they said no problem and head them ready by the afternoon, no year was ever mentioned.
He Named Thor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for He Named ThorClick Here to visit He Named Thor's HomePageSend a Private Message to He Named ThorDirect Link to This Post
W00t. GMCs rock. Sorry, useless post.

I could do that to my Safari though...

(and yes, I do know that the Safari came out in '85. So it wasn't out yet for that.)

Rborecky

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-13-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RboreckyClick Here to visit Rborecky's HomePageSend a Private Message to RboreckyDirect Link to This Post
Paul McKibben can make those stickers for cheap also at www.fierosails.com The interior looks to be normal but if you could do it like the Fiero it would be neat. I have a guy who can dye the leather if wanted. Rick B

------------------
President of Cleveland Fieros
www.clevelandfieros.com

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I think if you contact Donald Davidson at the speedway museum he should have the details on these trucks.

They were not made for the mass public but a fleet was supplied in this trim for the track activities each year. Once they were done with these they were sent to dealers many in Indiana, Ohio and Michigan. They are sold as used vehicles and were made in small numbers. They even had a Safari van and tow trucks in these colors available. This has been standard practice for years and here in Ohio I have seen many truck from different on the roads here over the years from GM and Ford.

Most of these were used up at everyday trucks and are now gone. They were not one offs but only enought were made to service the 500 for the month of May, I would guess less than 100 would be a good guess.

The same goes on today with as we have had a lot of 500 and Brickyard SSR trucks for sale in Ohio. the last few years Pontiac used to dump many of the real Nascar Grand Prix Pace Cars here. They put the stock springs and wheels on but they till even had the Safety lights still on them. I saw the Darlington, Daytona, Bud Shootout and Rockingham cars here and they could have been bought for $18,000.

One last thought, the winning crew cheif gets a truck. You might find the crew chief of Rick Mears car in 84 and see if he got the truck and knows where it is at. I thought I heard that he works for Penske South right now. I know the Fiero pace car replica Rick Mears got was in a Penske collection out west.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
thnx for the comments, plz keepem coming. i need comments on the yr issue. 84 only? or 85-86-87-88. i guess what i'm really asking is if i say buy an 87 and spend this money to do this will i get dogged on this forum by people saying. ...that ain't no 84, why din't you get an 84?... blab blab blab...and yes i know that what plzs me is what counts, but i just want an idea of the general consenses. also does anyone outthere have the firebird wheels that i need?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I would get an 82-85 just so you don't have to have a center brake light, which the original wouldn't have had. That's if you're going for the 100% authentic look. You wouldn't be able to tell the exact year unless you looked at the VIN or unless there were some other exterior changes.

As far as other reference material, I looked a while back and there is NONE. It's like that was the only one ever made, and after those pics were taken the truck fell off the face of the Earth. I haven't been able to get a tape of the 84 Indy 500 to see if other similar truks were used as support vehicles during the race, but I doubt it.

The (carbed) 2.8L was available all those years, and the duke was available in 85

http://www.s10blazers.com/sserieshistory.htm

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Found this site.

http://www.sportmachines.com/magrack/sport_truck_7-92.html

INDY GRAPHICS

With the announcement that GMC is the official truck of this year's Indy 500 came a brace of trucks adorned with decals proclaiming their association with the biggest spectacle in auto racing. If you didn't get a chance to buy one of the originals, you can order the decals from Graphik Concepts (Dept. ST07, 23555 Research Dr., Farmington Hills, MI 48335, 800/969-8990 or 3131473-8990 [in MI]). The photo sent to us shows the Syclone package, but you can get them for the C/K trucks as well as Indy Hauler decals for '80, '81, '83, '86, '88, and '89 GMCs.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
RWDPLZ- good idea in the tape of the indy 500. i didn't think of that. thnx for the link and oh by the way, trucks didn't have 3rd brake lights untill 94. but good thinking anyway

Coolblue87gt-great link also, but you would know they didn't mention 1984!

we'll i just got back from my second auction today and no luck with locating a truck, think i'll eat dinner and walk back out the door and drive to houston tonight so i can hit a couple bigger auctions tomorow. only a 6 hr drive thier! c-ya

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2005 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Greg Z:

RWDPLZ- good idea in the tape of the indy 500. i didn't think of that. thnx for the link and oh by the way, trucks didn't have 3rd brake lights untill 94. but good thinking anyway

Good call, I never knew that!

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/regrev/evaluate/808696.html

Center High Mounted Stop Lamps (CHMSL) have been standard equipment on all new passenger cars sold in the United States since model year 1986 and all new light trucks since model year 1994, as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108.

I always figured the same rules applied to both.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
If you are going to change the front end to a 84 anyway get a 1988 or newer with a 4.3. The 2.8 engines were dogs in the S-10.
STIFFLER

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-14-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STIFFLERSend a Private Message to STIFFLERDirect Link to This Post
Yeah you dont want a 2.8 pickup I had a jimmy with one.It was a absolute pig on gas with NO POWER.That thing could barely pulll a skidoo and trailer up hill.
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
its about 10:30 and i am walking in the door from the houston auction. nothing, not 1 2dr s10. i did buy a 02 black z06 w/30k though! but then i found overspray in the door jams which means it probally had/has frame damage so i turned the car down. i will get up at 5 tomorrow and go to laffayette auction, maybe a trruck thier(and a vette).

i agree with not getting a 2.8. think i will stay with something useable(like a 4.3)

talk to ya later.

BGIndy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BGIndySend a Private Message to BGIndyDirect Link to This Post
I figured I'd lurked here long enough, so hopefully my first post might be helpful.
I thought about doing this project as well to go along with my Indy. I spent quite a bit of time at the Indianapoils Motor Speedway photo archives looking for pictures and ran across a few of the GMC Indy Hauler while I was there. This was 5 years ago , but for those who haven't been there, you just tell them what you're interested in and the staff will start bringing you photo books of that years race and associated vehicles.
Hope this helps and good luck
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2005 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BGIndy:

I figured I'd lurked here long enough, so hopefully my first post might be helpful.
I thought about doing this project as well to go along with my Indy. I spent quite a bit of time at the Indianapoils Motor Speedway photo archives looking for pictures and ran across a few of the GMC Indy Hauler while I was there. This was 5 years ago , but for those who haven't been there, you just tell them what you're interested in and the staff will start bringing you photo books of that years race and associated vehicles.
Hope this helps and good luck

i feel honored, wow, a yr on the forum and i get the first post from you, i feel like that should come with a certificate or something. lol ok, how would you go about getting those pictures if you can't go to the speedway? or does someone live near the speedway and maybe have some intrest?

oh, and btw, i did find a 85 s10 blazer at the thrusday laffayette auction. but i called my wife and told her about it just before it went though the ring and she said let it go because it was a pushthough. it had the 2.5 duke auto and was complete. truck was rough and did not run, could have gotten it for less than 200.00 shipped to alexandria(not by yellow freight though lol) she said buy a fairly nice truck and it will be a smoother project! smart woman!
finally got a pic of what will be getting hauled.

[This message has been edited by Greg Z (edited 09-17-2005).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Well I tried, but it's out of my price range now. Maybe this would go with the truck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-INDIANA-INDY-LICENSE-PLATE-ERNEST-HOLMES-TOW-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ6561810987QQcategoryZ20274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Indy looks sweet by the way! Any more pics?

I probably would have bought it for $200 SHIPPED, but that's me Good luck finding a good one!

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Well I tried, but it's out of my price range now. Maybe this would go with the truck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-I NDIANA-INDY-LICENSE-PLATE-ERNEST-HOLMES-TOW-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ6561810987QQcategoryZ20274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I probably would have bought it for $200 SHIPPED, but that's me Good luck finding a good one!

thank-you very much! i think it would be great with the truck, i'm now high bidder, i'll take more pics today.

PFF
System Bot
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

here you go, went out and snapped a couple this morning

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2005 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&ite m=4575242028&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

man this is nice, too bad its frrom 1980!

[This message has been edited by Greg Z (edited 09-19-2005).]

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
*bump*

Saw you won the Indy wrecking plate on Ebay, too bad about the 9-mile Indy though Any more progress on the truck project?

87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
Greg;
Looks like you are back in the car business. Glad to see you still are keeping up with the Fieros. Things in Az just are not the same without you. Your Indy looks about in the same condition as the one I just picked up in May. I might be coming out east next spring, if I do I will be sure to look you up.

Rolland

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

*bump*

Saw you won the Indy wrecking plate on Ebay, too bad about the 9-mile Indy though Any more progress on the truck project?

yep, thank-you for pointing out the plate to me. it's been waiting for me at the post office for a week now, i just haven't had time to go and pick it up, i will in the morning for sure. as far as the 9 mile indy, yea that sucks. my first offer was for 9000.00 and she didn't even humor me. what can you do? lol.

UPDATE*******
i got a truck today

its a 1994 s10 blazer 2 dr. its a super nice truck. its blue w/gray stripes on the bottom. gray leather. 4.3l VORTEC, 15in factory aluminum rims. power everything. only 111k. i will post pictures and more details when the transporter gets here. i bought it at adesa in houston. i 'm super excited.

does anybody know where i can get the ground effects?

thnx rolland, i miss phoenix more than you could know.

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2005 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear! Can't wait to see it!

Since I've started looking, I've never seen those ground effects on another truck. Might have to make them or have them made.

And of course 5 minutes into a google search I find THIS:

http://www.wickedbodies.net/generic100.html

The poor pictures make it hard to tell, but they may be the same?

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 10-06-2005).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
bad news, the transporter came today but without my truck. me and a couple other car dealers ordered 2 transporters and i guess they were full by the time my s10's turn came, so they left it and 2 others. i have no choice but to leave it thier and go next week and buy enough vehicles to fill another transport. (they won't haul unless you can fill it up, 10 cars or 7 trucks, we mostly buy trucks) at 3000.00 a load for a 5 hour trip THAT SUCKS! i KNEW i should've taken the time to walk out thier and take pictures of the truck before i left. then i would have pictures to post. o'well next week i'll post em.

will someone help me find red carpet for the jimmy?
also i need a set of indy seats.
firebird wheels.
84 gmc jimmy grille(new).
exact ground effects(or close)

------------------
Indy, 85 gt, Formula,GMC Indy Hauler project truck, 00 Navigator(9 tv's,22's,ghostflames,PS2,X-Box,etc...)69 Camaro 400hp350 4sp

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2005 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Try ordering a catalog from

http://www.lmctruck.com/

They have their 1973-87 Chevy & GMC Truck catalog for download, but you have to order the S10 Jimmy catalog. BUT the catalog is free!

-Interior: I just checked the catalog I downloaded, and they have just about every piece of the interior available, so I'm guessing they have it for the Jimmy too? And they DO have red!

-The Firebird wheels would probably be easy to find, do they have the same bolt pattern as the truck? I'd make a post in the mall, or check your local junkyards.

-LMC Truck might have the grille, I think they have it for the S15 in the catalog I downloaded?

-The easier way to go with the Indy seats would probably be to order new leather Indy seat covers from Mr. Mike's

http://www.mrmikes.com/fieroindy.htm

-Ground effects, I still haven't found anything else. I tried for another half hour last night, and didn't find anything else even remotely close.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 10-07-2005).]

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2005 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
thnx RWDPLZ, i ordered the catalog.
i presumed that the bolt pattern was the same because of the picture of the hauler appears to have firebird wheels, but i didn't know for sure. now i know for sure, here is a very useful link for all to use.
http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm
PFF
System Bot
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-I NDIANA-INDY-LICENSE-PLATE-ERNEST-HOLMES-TOW-TRUCK_W0QQitemZ6561810987QQcategoryZ20274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i got my plate today but didn't have a chance to take pics. of course its looks just like in the e-bay listing. but i'll post pics friday anyway. i'll be in houston over the next 2 days so even if i don't bring the blazer back with me i'll snap alot of pics so i can post with the plate on friday.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/gmchaulerjag_019_640x480.jpg[/i
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking truck

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

heres another. i hope this works. i don't know how to put multiply pictures on one post so i apologize for that.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

Greg Z

1218 posts
Member since Jun 2004

only 111k
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
That IS nice! Have you gotten the catalog yet? Can't wait to see you start to tear into it!
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

That IS nice! Have you gotten the catalog yet? Can't wait to see you start to tear into it!

thank-you. i'm very excited about the condition,yr,motor etc... on this truck. i have not gotten the catalog yet, hell, i haven't even gotten the truck yet. this time i hired a different transport co. who promised me my truck the next morning(thursday morning) and now they tell me maybe sat. late.

i will try to post more pics tomorow. my computer at work froze up.

Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2005 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZDirect Link to This Post

*bump*

finally got a picture of the plate in my possession(i have no clue as to how many s's are in possession)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock