East Tennessee Fiero Picnic in the Mountains by ThreeofClubs
Started on: 08-06-2005 11:20 PM
Replies: 30
Last post by: ThreeofClubs on 09-02-2005 10:49 PM
ThreeofClubs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post

Everyone is invited to a picnic in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park the first Saturday of September (Sept. 3rd). We have a reservation from 8am until 3:30pm at the Greenbrier picnic pavilion along the Little Pigeon River.

From Gatlinburg, take Highway 321 East (stoplight #3) 5.9 miles. Greenbrier Road is on the right just before the bridge. This is an entrance to the GSMNP and has a sign indicating that. The pavilion is located 3.5 miles down Greenbrier Road, also on the right. Only the first mile of the road is paved. the rest is gravel, but is in pretty good shape. Don't be fooled by the inferior "Picnic Area #1" 2.8 miles on the left. We have the high falutin place reserved!

If you are more technically inclined where navigation is concerned, plug these coordinates into your GPS:

N 35, 42.208
W -83, 23.165

We will be really close to some great swimming, wading and tubing in the Little Pigeon River. The trout fishing is pretty good, too. Bring your swimsuits and gear and hope the weather is nice. Of course, day hiking is abundant if you want to do some walking in the woods. There are campgrounds in the area for anyone who wants to spend the night in the park. If you are into GeoCaching, there are loads of stashes hidden in the area.

It will be my pleasure to provide the main dishes, probably hot dogs, burgers -and something is case a vegetarian or two show up- as well as the charcoal to cook it on and some potato chips type stuff. I don't have enough coolers to handle drinks and ice, so will need some help with that. Any suggestions as to side dishes will be welcome. Reply to this thread if you think you can make it so we can have an idea of how much food to bring. I'm going to try to come up with some door prizes, too.

The last lunch in Pigeon Forge we had and the Nashville cookout/workday held by Vonov were a lot of fun and I really enjoyed meeting some Fiero folks. I hope we can start doing some get-togethers regularly. We can even kick around some idea about a TN Fiero club again.

Oh, take it from me, bug repellant is a must! Trust me on this point.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more information on anything.

Links
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park Official Website
The Greenbrier
GeoCaching: The sport where *You* are the search engine
Photos of the Area
Map of the GSMNP

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Here is some Mapquest information on the location if you want to use it to plan a route from somewhere other than Gatlinburg. Plus, it's a bump for the day shift.
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a good time, unfortunately i'm booked up that weekend, so you'll have to have fun without me.
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a great plan. I should be there in something. If it comes down to it, I'll bring the SUV to haul all the goodies. There's nothing quite as nice as an outting in the Smokey's!

edetd bikawse eye kant spel
------------------
Got Blue?

BlueGT

[This message has been edited by BlueGT (edited 08-07-2005).]

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Lurker, sorry to hear that you can't make it. The place was so heavily booked that I didn't have much "wiggle room" in choosing the date. I'm making a point of bringing the cameras and equipment to take some good photos of the event and the cars that can make it. There are some great overlook spots up on the Foothills Parkway that are perfect for shots of cars against the background of the mountains.

For my car I like to think that the setting takes people's minds off the condition of my paint!

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
1st weekend of Sept is a little short for me as far as lead time, but I'll do my damnedest to make it.
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
bump
ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Vonov, sorry about the short notice, but I hope you can make it regardless. I'm not even going to try to match the table you set for us in Nashville! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for good weather.
Robs Fieros

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2005 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robs FierosSend a Private Message to Robs FierosDirect Link to This Post
I can't make it, that's the same day we're going to meet for lunch in Helen Ga.
Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Oh poo, two events at the same time.

Now, do I show my Fiero at the Diesel Meet, or show my Diesel at the Fiero meet?

decisions, decisions...

DieselFiero

Tinton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
User Banned

Report this Post08-15-2005 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TintonSend a Private Message to TintonDirect Link to This Post
I can't make it, gas is killing me at $2.49 for regular. I gotta save gas money for the run for the hills...

------------------
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

PFF
System Bot
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tinton:

I can't make it, gas is killing me at $2.49 for regular. I gotta save gas money for the run for the hills...

Tell me about it... I'll be driving the SUV (15-16 mpg in neutral downhill with me and the wind pushing) because the next daily driver is in need of some Serious elbow grease.

I'd try to go to both, but the Great Smoky Mountains are just a little more tempting at the moment (good excuse to drive to Harrah's for a few hours ). Should be nice and cool at the higher elevation. If Rob has another lunch sometime, I'll try to show up.

------------------
Got Blue?

BlueGT

PontiacFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2005 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacFieroSend a Private Message to PontiacFieroDirect Link to This Post
I feel the same way. Can't do both events so close together. RFTH is also in the Smokey Mtns, just not in the park proper.

Do an event at Jack Daniels and I will do my best to be there. It only about 50 miles from my house. Ed and Rosie would probably make it up also as well as a few more from North Alabama.

Originally posted by Tinton:

[This message has been edited by PontiacFiero (edited 08-16-2005).]

Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
I'm planning on being there. Probably bring my pickup carrying a decklid. I don't know if anybody remembers Michael from our last Piegon Forge gathering back in the winter. He lives nearby. I forget his last name. He is the one who has had alot of medical problems lately.

Anyway, he and I are going to exchange decklids and I might need some help making the swap after the picnic. Any takers?

Sure hope the turnout is better than the response so far.

dwheil
No longer registered
Report this Post08-19-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwheilSend a Private Message to dwheilDirect Link to This Post
I should be able to make it. And I think I still have $1.32 gas in the tank from our Pigeon Forge meet two years ago. I think 30 more miles would be good for the GT. See you there.

Dennis
88 GT

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I'm glad to see someone else from nearby on the board, dwheil. I'm looking forward to meeting you. You weren't at the Fuddruckers meet this year I'm guessing, or did you just come Fiero-less? And yes, anyone who can help us with the decklid swap at my place would be greatly appreciated. I do regret that it might keep Rocky Top from coming in his car. Maybe we can work something out ahead of time. I'll follow up with email about it.

anyone planing on coming can PM me for my cell number if you want a local phone contact for a just-in-case scenario.

dwheil
No longer registered
Report this Post08-20-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwheilSend a Private Message to dwheilDirect Link to This Post
Hey Three

I was there, I've got the Red 88 GT that I bought new and it now has 30K miles on it. I don't drive it much and if it were not for the local get to gethers I guess it wouldn,t be out at all. I'm usually driving a 68 Plymouth Convert or a classic Mini Cooper, amoungst others.

I'm looking forward to coming.
I live on Jones Cove Rd. off old Newport Hwy

Dennis

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
Been thinking about this cookout... I might have to have a practice one this week at the BSFNRRA just so I can satisfy the grill cravings until Sept 3rd.

[This message has been edited by BlueGT (edited 08-23-2005).]

blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
This one sounds like a blast, wish I didn't have so many irons in the fire. Maybe next time.

------------------
Ron
Freedom isn't Free, it's always earned.
My imagination is the only limiting factor to my Fiero. Ooops forgot about the money issue.

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
While at the store today I stocked up on supplies for the picnic. As long as no more than fifty people show up we'll be just fine. Bring friends!
Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
We're to bring soft drinks and ice . . . . . . right? Anything else I can help with?

What time will we fire up the grill? I can't make it until around 11:00 a.m. or so. Took the decklid off today. I will take off the lock nechanism and shroud to speed up the swap. With assistance from a couple of people shouldn't take over 30 minutes pending unforseen problems.

Rocky Top

PFF
System Bot
ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2005 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
If someone, anyone can handle the coolers with ice I have everything else wrapped up. I have to check in with the rangers at 8:00am and will just hang out there (not exactly a chore, let me tell ya!) for the duration. We have the place until 3:30pm. I'll detatch the lock on my decklid the day before and just leave a car cover on it. Thanks, folks! Should be fun.
Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2005 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
I'll bring a cooler of ice. Shucks, we can run to the nearest convenience market and get more if need be. If you should need me to pick something up at the last minute while I'm driving down my cell number is 329-7783.
BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
I'll bring a cooler also, and if need be, I have access to another one. Give me a call and let me know if you need anything. Charcoal? Aluminum Foil? Bug spray? Tic-Tacs? LMK

John

Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2005 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
We'll be there with the DieselFiero!

DieselFiero

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
There has been an interesting development here that could potentially throw a wrench into the weekend plans. Many gas stations in the Gatlinburg area are out of fuel. The two owners that I spoke with said that they didn't know when to expect deliveries, either. I will try to stay on top of the situation and keep this thread updated. I hope the situation works itself out before Saturday, because I was really looking forward to the picnic.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
I won't be able to make it...I have heard other stories of fuel shortages. If fuel is unavailable in a tourist destination like Gatlinburg, then with the situation in the Gulf areas, it's not likely to get better quickly. In addition, I am anticipating that we (police) may be placed on some kind of standby status...if the disaster aftermath has the worst case ripple effect on fuel prices and the economy overall, civil unrest may follow, and not just confined to the Gulf area.
ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Looking grim from where I am...

The two stations closest to me on highway 321 did not get overnight shipments of fuel, so they are still out of action. I am not sure about Newport or Gatlinburg proper, but will try to find out today. I have put the hamburgers and hotdogs in the freezer just in case. I guess I should not be so disappointed that we might not get to have a picnic when so many people have REAL problems.

Vonov, I hope they don't need you at work and that you have as good a holiday weekend as you can manage. Same goes for everyone.

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post

ThreeofClubs

105 posts
Member since Dec 2004
We made a run into Gatlinburg and were pleased the see that all the 'big name' gas stations like BP, Citgo, and Gas-n-Go all had fuel. It was expensive, $3.29+, but they at least had it. Since I have the site reserved anyway, I am still going to be there. The weather is supposed to be nice and I am always looking for an excuse to get out and enjoy the mountains. Hope to see some of you there.

Originally posted by Michelhaugh:

We'll be there with the DieselFiero!

...and everyone had diesel for sale, even yesterday!

[This message has been edited by ThreeofClubs (edited 09-01-2005).]

Rocky Top

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rocky TopSend a Private Message to Rocky TopDirect Link to This Post
Up here in Greeneville, approximately 50 miles from Gatlinburg, gas is limited but available at the larger chains within the city limits. $3.00 plus. I live in the country half way between Newport & Greeneville. A new privately owned store near me was limiting gasoline purchases to $20. They were about out yesterday and closed early. Don't know if they got resupplied today.

My son operates a wrecker business in Greeneville and checked at four locations in Kingsport and Greeneville today but found no diesel. One of those locations without diesel was located on I-81. He is now limited to one towing vehicle which is gasoline powered. He is setting out tomorrow with a 55 gallon barrel in quest of diesel.

If truckers are having the same problem groceries will start getting scarce in a hurry.

My wife are still planning on attending. Bringing cooler and ice. Possibly a barrel for diesel. Probably get alot of verbal abuse and threats showing up at a gasoline-diesel station with a barrel.
But, hey, that's his livelihood. Wrecks will still happen and cars will still break down.

See you there.

ThreeofClubs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2005 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeofClubsSend a Private Message to ThreeofClubsDirect Link to This Post
Gatlinburg and Sevierville have fuel at most of the larger stations, including diesel, and the lines were non-existent this evening. I'll be at the picnic area bright & early tomorrow to check us in and get set up. Once the work is done, I am going to retire to my lawn chair and wait to see some friendly faces show up. Regardless of whether you get to join us at the picnic, I hope everyone has a super holiday weekend.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock