Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  my 4.9 caddy swap - started as 2.8 bearing job (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
my 4.9 caddy swap - started as 2.8 bearing job by crazyfieromike
Started on: 08-04-2005 09:08 PM
Replies: 47
Last post by: crazyfieromike on 11-08-2005 05:03 AM
crazyfieromike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
Im posting this for CrazyMike...

Ok basically for those of you who might have crossed the "i think im crazy" thread I gave Mikee a 86 Fiero SE 2M6 in trade for a damn GOOD condition tail lights, deck-lid, and fastback clip... although i DO have a fastback already mine has some patches cause it was damaged and the deck lid is TRASHED!! Oh and who would turn down mint GT tail lights?

ANYWAY... Mike can blow up ANYTHING. He is already now 1 2.8L and a 3.4L Fiero engine destroyed. Well the SE's engine developed a rod knock. A very LIGHT one too, probably totaly repairable! BUT I am all in swap mode so i convinced him to go with the 4.9L swap because its in his price range. I know cause doing the 3800SC right now isnt cheap and thats what he wanted to do. BUT since his car is down and so are his funds we decided the 4.9L is better.

We went today after securing an engine with complete wireing harness (all the way through firewall TO PCM plugs in. It was 350$ from the junk yard and he picked up a PCM for 30$ and its in the mail. Here is a photo journal of our trip today!

On the way there we crossed this billboard wich has been stirring up controversy in Cleveland for obvious reasons!

Here is the 4.9 engine at the yard we picked it up at.

Mike strapping down the engine

MAMA IM COMMIN HOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!

More pics to come....

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Here is pics of us working on the motor at his buddies Joe and Matt's shop.

WOo HOo V8!!!

We were SHOCKED when we saw this... 90k miles and a MINT CLEAN AMAZING valve train!!!

The shop happens to be home to Cutting Edge Limo's Joeys business... Fiero 4.9, Lincoln Limo 4.6... Fiero 0wpnz U!!

And a final one of Mikee again...

OH yea... and here is a sharp little number we saw for sale at the yard we bought mikes engine from... mmmmm Grand National!!!

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 08-04-2005).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
craig thanks for the help today and soon your motor will be out of yours and we can get going on your swap some more
Unrivaled

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-04-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UnrivaledSend a Private Message to UnrivaledDirect Link to This Post

What trans are you using? If you go with auto I think you should go with the Caddy trans.
Exodus5

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Exodus5Send a Private Message to Exodus5Direct Link to This Post
Why is the billboard controversial? BTW, I recently visited Cleveland on business and that station is the best I've ever heard.
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
some people are taking the wake up rock hard the wrong way
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

crazyfieromike

581 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Originally posted by Unrivaled:

What trans are you using? If you go with auto I think you should go with the Caddy trans.

as of now i am going with the 4 speed that's already in my fiero. when i destroy that tranny that might change though.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah i believe they are taking

Wake Up........Rock Hard

as

Wake up rock hard!

Yeah id agree WMMS is the best!

[This message has been edited by The Fieromaster (edited 08-05-2005).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i got my computer in the mail yesterday and it turned out to be cheaper than i thought. it ended up costing me $21 total with tax and shipping and its guaranteed to work. I am still waiting on the fly wheel i need but ill get that as soon as the fieromaster gets his old motor copletly out of his fiero and off the cradle. so craig get to work lol
Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:
Yeah id agree WMMS is the best!

I grew up listening to the home of the BUZZARD

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well unfortunitly ive been moving all weekend including today so i havent been able to work on the 4.9 at all. Hopefully i ll find some time over the week or i'll just have to wait till next weekend but ill return. i may need fieromaster help with some posting due to sbc saying it'll take 2 weeks to transfer my internet to my new place cause it takes two weeks to transfer some thing a 1/8 mile down the road.

[This message has been edited by crazyfieromike (edited 08-07-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well its slow goingright now seen as i was stuiped at work and cut the tip of my finger off. so hopfully more work will be underway soon
Boomtastic

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2005 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoomtasticClick Here to visit Boomtastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoomtasticDirect Link to This Post
Excellent deal on that engine! I'm joining the darkside too, and am now collecting my "crap" here for my swap. I have my donor (clean '85 GT), the install kit (Ed Parks) and my 70k 4.9 (which if I told you the price you would cry). Thankfully my engine came in this handy carrying case :

Thank you old folks that cannot drive!! I'm just short the clutch and flywheel setup (still). Good luck with your swap!

------------------

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well all still not to much work done. manly due to money or lack of and helping craig fieromaster with his swap a lot latly but on the up side i do have internet back finally

[This message has been edited by crazyfieromike (edited 08-19-2005).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
ZzZzZz........SLOW. I coulda had that swap done 10 times by now.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 08-19-2005).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMaster88:

ZzZzZz........SLOW. I coulda had that swap done 10 times by now.

well lend me the $$ i need and i ll have it done asap

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well i finally did something for my swap i switched my valve covers over and sent my flywheel in tho get the holes welded since i cant take it to work and use my welder at work to do it
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well flywheel is all welded it ened up costing my $63.75 with tax
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well all fieromaster and i are starting to get closer to installing my 4.9 in the fiero but niether of us have done it before so any info from those who have would be greatly loved thanks ahead of time
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah... deffinetly...

Mikee you hear back from Darth about PCM programing yet?

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

Yeah... deffinetly...

Mikee you hear back from Darth about PCM programing yet?

not yet hope to soon though

PFF
System Bot
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i just heard from darth craig he says he cant he said maybe pbj or rockcrawl
The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2005 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yeah PBJ is the one that built that wicked turbo Fiero 4.9 that i sent you videos of... Find him on here and PM him.
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2005 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
started doing some more work on my car i replaced my water pump since the junk yard i gotit from said it was leaking plus the bearing felt like it was going bad. now i have a question for alll you people out ther with a 4.9 manual. i am goin to go with the muncie 4 speed what clutch kit do you recomend me get and where do i get for about how much thanks for the help
Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
I used a spec III with my 4.9 turbo swap, so far no complaints. Oh yeah, Im using a 4 spd also.
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rhino88gt:

I used a spec III with my 4.9 turbo swap, so far no complaints. Oh yeah, Im using a 4 spd also.

where do i get it and about how much are they

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I can get you a spec stage 3 clutch for about $280 Mike. Thats what I used on my swap. Hopefully I can come visit in the next couple weeks and I'll give you a ride. I also have the plactic intake part you need.
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2005 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
spec 3 on my 4.9 and holding nicely
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
i am in need for help i cant get ahold of rockcrawl to repprogram my chip been trying for like a month so if any one else knows someone that can do please please let me know plus i am trying to get someone to fab my front motor mount since i am not going to have a ton of time to do the swap once i start thanks for all the help
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
have you tried to reach him at his website? PBJ seems to know him. Some folks here have his number, maybe they will call him for you.

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 SE/87 Coupe
"Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2005 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

have you tried to reach him at his website? PBJ seems to know him. Some folks here have his number, maybe they will call him for you.

if some one on here would call him and get him in contact with me there would be much love i am in desperate need here

PFF
System Bot
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well were one week away from the cram fest trying to do this swap in 3 days if any one has any last minute tips sugestions or anything at all to help please please speak up thanks all
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
will a fiero 2.8 starter work or do i need the caddy starter
crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
bump cause i need help
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Caddy Starter
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2005 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyfieromike:

bump cause i need help

I coulda told you that a long time ago.

And yes, you need the caddy starter.

[This message has been edited by FieroMaster88 (edited 10-29-2005).]

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 07:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well after many problems the swap has started butstill have problems the machinist that did my fly wheel screwed up the bolt pattern so had to start all over i am on the third motor and now me and fieromaster have spent a day and a half try to get the motor out the front cradle bolts are siezed into the bushings so where haveing to cut them out went through 5 saw blades and didnt get very far so today where going to try cut off wheels on my die grinder to get the last bolt off
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crazyfieromike:

well after many problems the swap has started butstill have problems the machinist that did my fly wheel screwed up the bolt pattern so had to start all over i am on the third motor and now me and fieromaster have spent a day and a half try to get the motor out the front cradle bolts are siezed into the bushings so where haveing to cut them out went through 5 saw blades and didnt get very far so today where going to try cut off wheels on my die grinder to get the last bolt off

Damn man, that sucks! I didnt know you were having soo many problems. I'll probably be coming to visit in a couple weeks so if it's not done I can help you out.

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
86 GT: Stock 4 speed
86 SE: 3.4 DOHC 4 speed
http://www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2005 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
Ok you can chock this up as bad motor number THREE!!!!!!!!!!!

It also is frozen so solid we broke 1 drive ratchet, 1 breaker bar, and 2 step downs trying to turn the engine over... Hell we even tried the starter AND breaker but NO GO!

STAY AWAY FROM DENNISON AUTO PARTS.... THEY ARE EVIL - Craig G. opinion

Using the bad engine to do the fab work though...

crazyfieromike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazyfieromikeSend a Private Message to crazyfieromikeDirect Link to This Post
well picked up motor # 4. so the good news this motor at least rotates we got the front mount fad and i am looking inot getting a new cradle since mines well pretty rocked. tommorow were fabing the exhaust up and trying to get the new water pump on and change the valve covers over. i am gona nee dfieromasters help to post the pics we go tcause i am to retarded to figure out posting pics
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock