Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Heartland Fieros Car Show and Informal Drag Event the night before...Aug 19th

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Heartland Fieros Car Show and Informal Drag Event the night before...Aug 19th by Darth Fiero
Started on: 08-04-2005 04:17 AM
Replies: 37
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 08-22-2005 12:42 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
The 2nd Annual Heartland Fieros Car Show in Davenport, Iowa is just weeks away. Details on the car show can be found by clicking on the Aug 20th date on the Event Calender found at the upper right hand corner of the GFC thread list screen.

I have started this thread to talk about an "informal" track event I plan to attend the evening before the car show. The place is Cordova Dragway in Cordova, Illinois which is about 30min Northeast of Davenport, Iowa. Cordova Dragway has an open test and tune night on Friday which means anyone can run their car down the 1/4 mile for $15. Gates open at 5:30pm and racing is 6pm to 10pm. Spectator $8, kids $3. Depending on how many people plan on going, I would like to organize a meet/caravan so we can all travel to the track at the same time. I would like to arrive at the dragstrip shortly after the gates open so we can have our cars tech'd (inspected) and fill out the necessary paperwork before they get swamped.

A couple of notes... Cordova officials REQUIRE you to wear a helmet if your car runs 13.99sec or faster. They do have a LIMITED number of helmets for rent (I think $5) if you don't have one. No passengers are allowed in cars faster than 14.00sec or during eliminations. I STRONGLY SUGGEST you bring along some hearing protection for yourself and especially for your kids if they attend. There are normally quite a few very loud cars at these events.

More details on the location can be found here: http://www.cordovadrag.com/

I would also like to get an idea of how many Fieros plan on attending so please chime in if you plan to be there...

-Ryan

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom Computer Tuning | Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | www.gmtuners.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Badger Bob

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Badger BobSend a Private Message to Badger BobDirect Link to This Post
I'll be there for sure! Sounds like a lot of fun. I don't have a hotel registration yet, but will get back to you once thats firmed up.
Will you be bringing your equipment so you can take a look at the way my computer is currently tuned and possibly make some adjustments?
I want to make a pass on the strip against you even though it looks like my times will be about one sec more and ten mph slower. But then, who knows?
northstar87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for northstar87Send a Private Message to northstar87Direct Link to This Post
I am going to try to get to the show. I will have to leave Friday after work. So I really do not know how long it will talk to get there. When are you leaving Ryan?

Chris

Don Kraus

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
I'll be there with Badger Bob,come on Purple Reign,Mini Green ,Tina and everyone else that wants to have a good time cheap and see what your car can do, only $15, and we can run against each other.Now Purple Reign is the time to show us what you've got,not just talk.Fiero-X where are you?Let's get it on. Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.568 sec
1/4 mi - 11.647 sec
mph - 114.55

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2005 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by northstar87:

I am going to try to get to the show. I will have to leave Friday after work. So I really do not know how long it will talk to get there. When are you leaving Ryan?

Chris

Chris, if everything in my schedule goes as planned, I will be leaving Ft. Wayne sometime Thursday evening. And for those of you who are curious about hotel info:

Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Davenport
227 LeClaire Street
Davenport, IA
563-326-1786

Make sure you ask for the 69.99 Heartland Fiero rate. The car show is NOT at the Hotel, but rather down the road in the Village of East Davenport.

I also talked with Fred today about the drag racing. We want to let everyone know that if someone breaks at the track, we will have a car trailer available to haul them back to town if needed. We won't leave anyone stranded at the track.

Bob, yes, I will be bringing along my chip burning equipment and scan tool in case anyone needs work done.

-ryan

Badger Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Badger BobSend a Private Message to Badger BobDirect Link to This Post
ryan,
I won't be staying at the host hotel, but rather at the Comfort Inn in LeClaire, Iowa. I'm not sure if meeting somewhere is going to work out. But I do plan on getting to the drag strip early so I can make several passes. I'll see you there.
Badger Bob
dizmon_85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Ryan, Hey, How are things going. Do you have your business going now that your back home?
I'm planning on going to Cordova on Friday and it will be good to see you again. Car is running great, but the only way I will run you is if you give me a 1 sec. headstart!!!!!
I will try to make it to the show on Sat., but I'm not sure if I need to work yet. My car is still not show worthy as it needs a a paint job real bad.
Hope to see you on the 19th. Pete
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2005 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dizmon_85GT:

Ryan, Hey, How are things going. Do you have your business going now that your back home?
I'm planning on going to Cordova on Friday and it will be good to see you again. Car is running great, but the only way I will run you is if you give me a 1 sec. headstart!!!!!
I will try to make it to the show on Sat., but I'm not sure if I need to work yet. My car is still not show worthy as it needs a a paint job real bad.
Hope to see you on the 19th. Pete

Pete, as a matter of fact I just got done filing for my LLC so everything is official now. I have been working at the shop non-stop since I moved and my schedule is completely full until sometime after Christmas so needless to say, I have been pretty busy.

BTW, in case you are wondering, the official name of my business is now Sinister Performance, LLC.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-05-2005).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
bump
KLRBLU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KLRBLUSend a Private Message to KLRBLUDirect Link to This Post
b ump
Unrivaled

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2005 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UnrivaledSend a Private Message to UnrivaledDirect Link to This Post

Which date are you shooting for? Can any car run or is it just Pontiac GM night?
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Unrivaled:

Which date are you shooting for? Can any car run or is it just Pontiac GM night?

Friday, Aug 19th is open test and tune night. Anyone can run any make/model car.

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Come on people,sign in here so we know how many are coming.You'l never run the 1/4 mile cheaper than $15 anywhere.Where are all the talkers that are so fast,now is the time to show what you've got.Where's Purple Reign,Minn-GreenGT,Tina?Come on,let's have some fun and support the Iowa Club show.Spectaters are only $8. Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.568 sec
1/4 mi - 11.647 sec
mph - 114.55

LAMBO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
Gotta work Friday or I'd be there. I wouldn't mind seeing what the Quad4 would do. I do plan on attending the show Saturday though. I'm trying to get some of the central Iowa guys to make the trip over with me.
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Don Kraus:

Come on people,sign in here so we know how many are coming.You'l never run the 1/4 mile cheaper than $15 anywhere.Where are all the talkers that are so fast,now is the time to show what you've got.Where's Purple Reign,Minn-GreenGT,Tina?Come on,let's have some fun and support the Iowa Club show.Spectaters are only $8. Don

Hey Don..I've never seen anyone of these people you have listed once say that they were so fast...I do know that we all have to work on Friday.. Hope you all have fun..i'll be coming down for the show...see ya all there

------------------

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited 08-09-2005).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

LOL!! Me? Say that I'm fast? Don - you must have me confused with someone else! If you don't recall, I have only a "slightly" warmed over 3.1L V6 that leaks like a sieve (I think of it as liking to "mark it's territory"). In addition to the fluid leaks, I've been pushing my luck driving the car long distances since Wheatstock's Road Coarse Track Day last year (I recall seeing you at the drags, but not the roadcoarse? )... the car pretty much flatlines the oil pressure gauge (including the manual one that's "T'd" into the line) when the engine is warm at low RPMs. So I've promised myself (and my wife) that I wouldn't be taking it back on the track until I either repair or replace the engine (hopefully the latter being this winter if I'm lucky).

As for coming to even the show - I'm pretty much tapped out and saving my nickels & dimes to attend Fierorama this year. My wife has been on bedrest and medical leave for the past week & a half - and between a couple of trips to the E.R. & numerous doctor office visits, my "Fiero Trip" budget has been dramatically reduced (see also my references to not being able to attend the CFOGi show this past weekend). As I've mentioned before - you have to know where your priorities are, and mine are at home with my Wife until she is better! Hope to see you in Chicago come September!

BTW Don... when I do have something track worthly, I'll be glad to line up next to you & give it all I've got - even if it only results in a different view of your taillights!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 08-09-2005).]

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2005 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rob & Kevin,what I was reffering to as talking about being fast is Purple Reign and Fiero-X .It'll just be fun getting a bunch of fiero's together and supporting the Iowa club.That's what I was trying to say.By the wayRob,I do run mine on road courses like at the 20th in Michigan and do real good,I would have at Wheatstock but I had to get home.I know you guys and Tina get the Minnesota get people moving.See you all at the shows in Iowa and Illionois.Don

[This message has been edited by Don Kraus (edited 08-09-2005).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Hey Rob & Kevin,what I was reffering to as talking about being fast is Purple Reign and Fiero-X .It'll just be fun getting a bunch of fiero's together and supporting the Iowa club.That's what I was trying to say.By the wayRob,I do run mine on road courses like at the 20th in Michigan and do real good,I would have at Wheatstock but I had to get home.I know you guys and Tina get the Minnesota get people moving.See you all at the shows in Iowa and Illionois.Don

LOL - I figured as much (your references to PR & FieroX)... just had to make sure that no one else thought I was "fast"

I do recall you being at Waterford Hills in MI... Heartland Park was different, but great in a whole different way (especially running fast & hard in the heavy rain)!

I truly hope you guys get a great turnout down there (unfortunately show attendence has been down at nearly every show I've heard about this year) - the Iowa guys are a great bunch! See you in Chicago.

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Rob,I'm glad we got that cleared up.I hope your wife is doing better,you have your priorities in the right order.See you in Ill. God speed.Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.568 sec
1/4 mi - 11.647 sec
mph - 114.55

RAREW66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
^^^
edzards

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edzardsSend a Private Message to edzardsDirect Link to This Post
Nancy & Dick are coming just don't know which car. Be there Friday afternoon looking forward to see everybody. Have had too many conflicts this summer and have not been able to go to many shows.
PFF
System Bot
Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
Come on everyone,let us know who's coming to the show and the drags.It will be worth it to see how fast some Fieros are compared to other cars,ie;cameros,firebirds,corvettes,ss's,chevells,etc.Only $8 to watch and $15 to dragrace.And then the big show on Saturday,come one,come all,it'll be a great time.I'm hoping to get in the LOW 11's.You've got to be there to see it.Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.568 sec
1/4 mi - 11.647 sec
mph - 114.55

[This message has been edited by Don Kraus (edited 08-12-2005).]

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
The show and the drags sound like a lot of fun. Sorry the wife and I wont be able to make it over to Iowa......we're pretty much traveled out for the season... LOL [after the Dells and Auburn]...but it does sound like a lot of fun........I'll be looking forward to hearing all about the numbers you all put up and seeing pics from the show.

Good luck everyone.......and be safe on the track!

Rick

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

Badger Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2005 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Badger BobSend a Private Message to Badger BobDirect Link to This Post
I just returned home from the Don Miller All Pontiac show in Milwaukee. While there I spent some time talking to a young man (Fred Cakanic III) who drives a super fast 98 Grand Prix GTX Daytona 500 Pace Car. He told me that the Grand Prix Club is meeting in Davenport next weekend also. They have rented the Cordova Dragway for Thursday evening for their club. On Friday they have another driving event scheduled. And they will be having a car show on Saturday. So don't be surprised if you see lots of nice Grand Prixs in the area and perhaps at the drag strip with us on Friday evening also.
KLRBLU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KLRBLUSend a Private Message to KLRBLUDirect Link to This Post
KLRBLU will be at the show gas in michigan is $3.00 per gal. that won't stop me FRED
DanFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll be at the show, but I was thinking you guys might want to post the route to the show site for those that don't remember. I have a pretty good idea, but just want to make sure my thinking is right.

Dan

KLRBLU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2005 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KLRBLUSend a Private Message to KLRBLUDirect Link to This Post
Fred update on your hotel:
I went to www.hojo.com and got my room for $58.99 just to let you know
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2005 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Directions from the Howard Johnson Hotel to the Car Show site can be viewed here:

"http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&rmm=1&1gi=0&un=m&1da=-1.000000&1rc=L1AAA&1n=SCOTT+COUNTY&cl=EN&ct=NA&1si=navt&rsres=1&1ahXX=&1y=US&1a=227+LECLAIRE+ST&1c =&1s=&1z=52801&2ahXX=&2y=US&2a=E+11th+St+%26+Mound&2c=&2s=&2z=52803"

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-16-2005).]

dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2005 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Ryan, I don't think i will be able to make it unless I figure out what is causing my car to stumble a WOT.
I posted in the other thread that I put the CAI back on but it's still acting up.
I'm trying to get it fixed before Friday, but I'm lost right as to what caused it.

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 08-16-2005).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2005 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dizmon_85GT:

Ryan, I don't think i will be able to make it unless I figure out what is causing my car to stumble a WOT.
I posted in the other thread that I put the CAI back on but it's still acting up.
I'm trying to get it fixed before Friday, but I'm lost right as to what caused it.

I will be bringing all of my diagnostic tools with me so if you can show up a little early I will be able to scan it to see if we can detect the issue. Will you be able to show up at the hotel about an hour before we plan to leave for the dragstrip?

RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
T T T
PFF
System Bot
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2005 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
I would like to but i dont wanna risk the car with me being so far from home. Besides that i dont think any of the gang that im going with is interested anyhow.
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Direct Link to This Post
^^^
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Any results from the drag race?
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Cross reference this post, news story about this show.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/053995.html

dizmon_85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post
Well 5 of us showed up at the drag strip to do the test & tune. Don Kraus, Badger Bob, Darth Fiero
and his girl friend Heather and me. It was very hot and humid so we gave up some tenths to that.
Don ran in the upper 11's, Darth I believe ran in the mid to upper 12's, Bob and I ran around 13.5
and I'm not sure how Heather did.

I know I talked to a few people and they were impressed with the times and speeds we were running.
I know my last run was with a 5.0 Mustang and I was pulling him all the way down the track.
When he came back to the pit area he gave me a thumbs-up which I thought was a nice gesture.
All in all I think we had a great time.

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 08-21-2005).]

Don Kraus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Don KrausSend a Private Message to Don KrausDirect Link to This Post
We all had a great time at the track,they have really done a lot of work on the grounds to make it nice.A lot off money has been spent on blacktop since I was there two years ago.We all would have liked to had better times but the weather was bad for drag racing.I think it cost everyone at least a half a second.The track photo guys did get me again with the front end off the ground,I'll have the photo with me at Fierorama.The CFOI should have there show next year near Cordova and then everyone that wanted to dragrace could do it on there own cheap ($15), without having to organize it and pay the big bucks to rent the track and insure it.It was great to meet Pete,Heather and Ryan and race with them.Thanks again.Don

------------------
Too Far
60' - 1.568 sec
1/4 mi - 11.647 sec
mph - 114.55

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2005 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
The show was great but unfortuneately on Fri night the weather just wouldn't cooperate. I believe the official weather report put the temp at about 91 deg and 92% humidity when the track gates opened. After the sun went down and at the time I left the track at 9:30 it was still in the upper 80's but the humidity climbed to near 100%. My best time that night was 12.66 @ 107mph (previous PB of 12.38 @ 110mph) and Heather's best time that night was in the low 15's (previous PB of 14.56 @ 92mph). Just goes to show what a little humidity and temperature does to power. It was great to have finally met Don and Bob finally and all of the other people at the show.

I got lots of pics from the show and cookout which I will post a link to in a Heartland Fieros Car Show Pictures thread.

-ryan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock