Started on: 07-30-2005 01:08 PM
Replies: 33
Last post by: FastFieros on 08-08-2005 11:03 PM
texasfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Lone Star Fieros' tour of DeLorean Motor Co. is next Saturday, August 6

Details:

http://www.lonestarfieros.org/

Select August on the calendar

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
noooooooooooooooooo.. SOmeone take lots of pictures for me, and preferably video if available!! Well, actually, prefereably all video and no picture if doable.. Is it doable? I'd owe ya!
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Lots of pictures - Yes

Video??? working on it

JohnnyK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 354
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyKSend a Private Message to JohnnyKDirect Link to This Post
Video would be stupendous.. I can trade you for my other DeLorean footage.. And pictures of hte shrine in my room.. I'll scan a copy of the 1981 Car and drive for ya too!
Uniquekind

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UniquekindSend a Private Message to UniquekindDirect Link to This Post
Funny, my two favorite cars are the DeLorean and Fiero... I'd definitely love to see some pics too, so take plenty!

------------------

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyK:

Someone take lots of pictures for me, !

Just got back from the Delorean Motor Company. That place is awesome. If you are ever in Houston you have to check it out.

Let me make this a little Fiero Related though

Almost unknown is that fact that all the assets from the original Delorean Motor Company and the plant in Northern Ireland now reside in Houston Texas.

The plant was designed to produce 20,000 to 30,000 cars per year. They actually built just over 9,000. That means there are enough parts in this Houston warehouse to build tens of thousands of cars.

The only catch is the governement won't allow them to create a Delorean from scratch, because it would have to meet all the modern 2006 crash standards, so they are committed to keeping the 9,000 or so on the road.
This also means that they have enough spare parts to last into the next century.

They claim to have more spare parts for the Delorean than any car currently in production...I believe them.

- Jonathan

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

jscott1

21676 posts
Member since Dec 2001
Let me make it Fiero related again...we had the best turn-out in a long time for this event.

But this has to be the coolest thing I have seen in a long time:

MilleniumFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MilleniumFieroSend a Private Message to MilleniumFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
But this has to be the coolest thing I have seen in a long time:

holy crap that is awesome!

------------------
prowling the pacific...

87 GT - V8 - 5 Speed

CaliforniaSpeeder9

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaliforniaSpeeder9Click Here to visit CaliforniaSpeeder9's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaliforniaSpeeder9Direct Link to This Post
"A flying DeLorean! I havnt seen one of those in...30 years." ~Old Biff

------------------
My 1986 GT

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by CaliforniaSpeeder9:

"A flying DeLorean! I havnt seen one of those in...30 years." ~Old Biff

The VP claims to have heard every "Back to the Future" joke imaginable. He offered cash to anyone that could come up with a new one LOL.

But to really make the DMC fly I airbrushed out the lift. This is how they work on them in the year 2015

PFF
System Bot
texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
We had a super turnout!

I took over 200 pics today and about 30 minutes of video. I'm working on it and will try to get some of it posted this weekend.

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

I like the exhaust......hummmm

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. Custom

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by texasfiero:

We had a super turnout!

I took over 200 pics today and about 30 minutes of video. I'm working on it and will try to get some of it posted this weekend.

Please post more. Give us the details too. What did they (DMC) say about the Fiero?

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

I like the exhaust......hummmm

Exhaust you say!

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

texasfiero

4674 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The Shop

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post

texasfiero

4674 posts
Member since Jun 2003
The chassis

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
A lot of kind words for the Fiero. The VP used to own one. And a lot of similarities, in that the DeLorean also has body panels that can be unbolted. They said that John D. considered an SMC/painted version had production continued.

Most owners keep them stock, but this prototype remonded me of Curley. It's an update of the interior that DMC may offer in the future. It also has 17s and 18s.

And the purists hate the painted ones, but this red one was hot. And it's for sale, only $25K

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
A poster in the showroom

The parking lot was LOADED with fun cars.

Yeah, they have models TOO!

The last remaining body molds.

All others were crushed and buried in Ireland. All shop equipment for stamping body parts was dumped at sea! What a shame.

New (25 year old body)

I shot these photos as wide as I could and some of them have "tunnel vision". I wanted to get everything I could as closely as I could so I ignored the effect. Hope you don't mind.

More photos and video later.

Seeya

[This message has been edited by texasfiero (edited 08-06-2005).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Question(s): What type of motor does DMC use? Do they or some else ever dropped a N* in one of those puppies? It seems like a person could be injured if the car was T-boned or hit from the side?

I like this dash and sterring wheel

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Now what do you suppose jscott is looking for: a new dash, no.

A new set of switches for his console...no.
We had to drag him out but you'll see these next

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Actually that was Clark that fell in love with the cupholders.

The DMC-12 is powered by an engine developed jointly by Peugeot, Renault, and Volvo. The engine is derived from the Volvo B28F which has been fitted with a Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection system and modified to be mounted in reverse.

It was okay by 80s standards, but today it is pretty underpowered. Stock it puts out 130 hp and 153 ft-lbs of torque, (sound familiar?) They have crates and crates of new ones and they will work them over to produce about 200 hp. At 2800 lbs for the total car, I would expect it to be pretty quick with 200 hp. I don't think you could wedge in a N* because of the way the engine sits in the triangular frame.

The doors are pretty beefy, but I don't know how they would hold up to today's side impact crash standards.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Nice pics and detailed info. I didn't know that the Delorean and Fiero share similarities?

Interesting how the gas tank is fitted within the triangle. How much is one of those Delorean doors? What does the Delorean use for power sterring?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 08-06-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Power steering?? There is none. DMC won't even consider adding it. I'd bet that with 19 inch wheels up front you would want it.

Doors? They have doors out the wazoo. I forget if it was 100 or a thousand doors, but at the rate they are selling them it's a 100 year supply. The company that bought all this stuff from the factory, (Big Lots actually) had more doors made because they figured that would be the hardest thing to replace. 'm sure they would sell you a pair; and wouldn't it be cool to fit them to a Fiero?

He Named Thor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2005 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for He Named ThorClick Here to visit He Named Thor's HomePageSend a Private Message to He Named ThorDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see them design and build a new car. Just make something John DeLorean would've built, an efficient and safe sports car (by todays standards though). I think that would be neat. Expensive though, and very risky, so I doubt it will happen.

It's fun to dream though...

texasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for texasfieroSend a Private Message to texasfieroDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you're right, it was Clark.

James said that DMC ordered 500 pairs of doors and that they are just now getting into that surplus.

If you take a close look at that rack of engines, the ones with tags are new, never installed engines.

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

The only catch is the governement won't allow them to create a Delorean from scratch, because it would have to meet all the modern 2006 crash standards, so they are committed to keeping the 9,000 or so on the road.
This also means that they have enough spare parts to last into the next century.

- Jonathan

i don't understand why can't they build the cars these days. doesn't Carroll Shelby build new cobras from new old parts. i don't think these new/old cobras meet today's safety standards. just a thought.

thanks...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

doesn't Carroll Shelby build new cobras from new old parts. i don't think these new/old cobras meet today's safety standards. just a thought.

thanks...

That should read "didn't Carrol Shelby build Cobras from new old parts?" Yes he did and it's illegal. He told us the story of Carrol Shelby and how he started building new Cobras from old Cobras. Then he started building them from NOS parts and got into a lot of trouble.

What VIN do you assign to a car built from parts? DMC will take a VIN plate and title as trade in and build a completely new car around that VIN plate. I've been suggesting to Fiero enthusiast that they can also do that if they have a totalled out car they want to rebuild. Just get a VIN plate that you have clear title to and build a new car around it. That is perfectly legal.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

What VIN do you assign to a car built from parts? DMC will take a VIN plate and title as trade in and build a completely new car around that VIN plate. I've been suggesting to Fiero enthusiast that they can also do that if they have a totalled out car they want to rebuild. Just get a VIN plate that you have clear title to and build a new car around it. That is perfectly legal.

Have you guys ever heard of SuperFormance? They make replica Cobras and other cars. What do they do? Those cars are street legal. Same with hot rods and what not.

There is a company out there now who develops from scratch, a complete new 69 Camaro body and frame from old molds. They sell the entire thing for 18 grand and you can get a hot rod title. I wonder why you wouldn't be able to do the same with a DeLorean.

As for the Fiero thing. I have an 87 SE with no title, and a rotted out 84 2m4 SE with a good title.

Are you saying i can swap vins on those and it would be legal? Cause I would totally do that in a heart beat if I could.

------------------
Todd,
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2L) Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE
1981 Pontiac TransAm (sbc 350)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

As for the Fiero thing. I have an 87 SE with no title, and a rotted out 84 2m4 SE with a good title.

Are you saying i can swap vins on those and it would be legal? Cause I would totally do that in a heart beat if I could.

I don't know about hot rods...maybe they have different rules for companies building street rods and rails. But if you intend to sell passener cars to the general public you have to meet all the current standards.

I don't know about other states but Texas DOT told me that if I have two parts cars that I want to combine into one good car I can use the VIN from the one I have title to regardless of which frame it was originally associated with.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2005 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Wow i had been bypassing this thread, thinking it was something made up or someone goofing around. Great Pictures, man i would have loved to have gone on that tour !

Can you imagine what madcurl would do if he got his hands on one of those hehehehe, those purists would need 911 !

PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
Bump from page 3 for the evening crowd. The tour was awesome. The person who gave us the tour said he had phone conversations with John Delorean about once a month, and he met him 3 times.
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
I think what would be doable for the DMC, is to sell a DeLorean kit car. This would be similar to the cobra kits or any other kit. Their not selling a car, just parts to build a kit. Then you can get a title for it just as easy as anything else. If they offered it in a kit, they could even sell turn key kits.
just my thought on the subject
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Next time LSF or Alamo Fieros wants to do this, please contact NTFC and let us know. I would have tried to make this.

Looks like a great place to tour. Maybe a trip there next April for me during the RoundUp.

Loyde

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock