Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Definative factory amp install when using an aftermarket or newer factory stereo

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Definative factory amp install when using an aftermarket or newer factory stereo by Fierofreak00
Started on: 07-28-2005 11:31 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: VA RICR-ETR on 07-29-2005 12:16 PM
Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
I wanted to use my factory amp and sub with my new deck but was unsure on how to get the amp to work with it. I did alot of searching thru the archives and found many articles but not one that defined exactly how to do it. I decided that I would put this thread together to show you how to do it the easiest way and that anyone can do it. So please forgive my bad paint skills, I'm still learning and let me know what you think. -Jason

This is the connector that takes the signal from the radio to the amp. The two pink wires are the ones you need to supply power to to get the amp to turn on.

I noticed that when installing an aftermarket adapter harness that the power antenna wire mated to the two pink wires I mentioned above. I figured I could feed the power to the amp using this wire.

So after quite a bit of searching and some creative thinking I came up with this.

The relay breaks down like this:

86 Power antenna (switched)
85 Ground
30 Power (Ignition B+)
87 Load (Amp)

I used a 99 Grand Am radio but it lacked the wire for the power antenna in the harness. The output pin in the radio was there .
So I removed the pin from a spare radio plug and inserted it into the harness for my radio.
Spare plug and wiring

Removed wiring

Inserted into the new harness (looks factory huh!)

This will be the mess you'll end up with but it will all fit.

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 07-28-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
This will be the mess you'll end up with but it will all fit.

You'll end up with this.

I'm hoping this is an explanation that everyone understands and will be useful to all. If you need a better explaination of something just ask. This will also work for aftermarket radio also. -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 07-28-2005).]

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad someone finally made a nice how-to thread for it. I did the same as you, searching and posting a question in Tech back when I did mine. I did it a little different myself, which some may find easier. There are 2 power wires for the stock stereo, one always hot and one switched by the ignition key. I wired the stereo to the always hot wire (dark brown, IIRC) so I wouldn't lose all my settings every time I turned the car off. I then wired the Amp (pink wires) to the switched power (orange, IIRC) so that the amp is only on when the key is on, in any position (besides off). Works great for me.

Anyway, one thing I wanted to mention about your write up. I was about to make some points about the lack of power from the power antenna output, till I caught the red writing on the pic below and saw that you had it wired to a relay. You might want to move that info into a caption instead of on the pic so its not so easy to miss.

Good write up, and good install!

**Edit: forgot the pic!

[This message has been edited by Fastback 86 (edited 07-28-2005).]

fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Good idea, but what a mess of wires
(Sorry.. I'm a bit of a neat freak when it comes to stereo stuff seeing as I do it for a living)

The power antenna lead from your deck will only be on when the radio is on. If your deck doesn't have a "system remote" wire, you would have to use ACC wire from the deck instead.

[This message has been edited by fiero_silva (edited 07-28-2005).]

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Not to get personal, but what was the Vaseline in one of the pictures above used for? Was the radio that tight of a fit? Yeah, I know I am being an ass I just couldn't resist. Nice write up by the way.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-29-2005).]

Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

Not to get personal, but what was the Vaseline in one of the pictures above used for? Was the radio that tight of a fit? Yeah, I know I am being an ass I just couldn't resist. Nice write up by the way.

LOL! You'll notice in the second pic the big white spot, I was trying to avoid something like this! I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to catch the second one. (by the way I used it to install the seals into my 3.4 I'm building. Keep a look out for the build thread) DOH! -Jason

bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceDirect Link to This Post
thanks for that info, i will be grapping the sub box this weekend from a wreck, but totally forgot about the amp, is the amp located behind the box or the radio, or somewhere else.

thanks for info
dan

VA RICR-ETR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VA RICR-ETRSend a Private Message to VA RICR-ETRDirect Link to This Post
As a note you may want to change something:

On an aftermarket radio, the wire is typically called an amplifier turn-on wire, rather than a power antenna wire. The radios that do in fact have a power antenna wire, also have an amplifier turn-on wire as well, and the amplifier is the one to use.

The reason for this is a power antenna wire typically loses power when the cd/tape player is used, and then gets power again when you go back to the tuner. If you use this wire, you will lose the sub amp when you put in a cd/tape. Using the amplifier wire will avoid this. The radios that have both are typically Sony or Alpine, but many manufacturers make the distinction within their manuals.

Just a heads-up - good job!

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock