Started on: 06-20-2005 09:39 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: pavo_roddy on 06-21-2005 11:37 PM
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
"How I built a hide-a-way front license plate holder" .

First off, I should start out by saying I don’t condone breaking the law…….I just don’t like the look
of the front plate mounted on my Fiero or my Vette. with that said………..

I’ve been thinking for a while about building a front license holder that I could use to hide the front license plate on the car when I don’t want it to be seen.

I figure that if I’m driving and I see “Johnny Law” heading toward me, I can push the cable in……and “walla” I have a front plate. And Like magic………It disappears just as easy !

It took about 2 ˝ hours, not knowing what the heck I was doing.

Cost: about $25.00 for everything........

I‘d like to show you how I built this.

Parts:

1 Choke cable
1 License frame
1 Universal tag mount
2 small hinges
1 longer hinge
7 lock nuts and bolts with washers

Tools:
Flat head -Screw driver
Hand drill and bits
Tape measure
Center punch
Small hammer
Wrench for tightening bolts
Small Phillips screw driver

No License Plate:

With the drop down license mounted :

------------------
88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< <<< <<< < Pix of my GT /-
-/ Pix of my Vettes> >>> >>> >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 06-21-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Hidden License Plate:
edit: "After I installed this, and took the pictures, I realized that I should have mounted or set the hinges a little
farther back so that the plate is really hidden……..going to do this tomorrow! "

First mount the two small hinges to the top back of the license plate:
I used a license frame to give the plate more support

Then measure the underside of your fascia to find the center, measure the distant between the hinge holes from the center of the plate, then drill two small holes in the fascia and attach the hinges to the underside of the fasica.

I used a universal tag mount, for added support to the bottom of the license plate,
then I attach the longer hinge to the back of the universal mount .
The screw holes didn’t line up, I had to drill new holes to attach the long hinge to the universal mount

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

3999 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Then I attached a small clip that holds the set screw and the cable to the longer hinge
This clip was part of the cable kit, I just bent the U shaped clip and inserted a bolt to attach
it to the long hinge.

This picture shows the back of the plate, the long hinge attached to the universal mount, and the cable attached to the clip

I then mounted the cable on the underside of the dash, to the right of the steering wheel.

I ran the cable though the firewall into the trunk and between the radiator and the side mount.

Most of the mounting hardware pretty much came with the choke cable kit. except the hinges/lock nuts & washers I used a small piece from the kit that would attach to the carburetor, and adapted it to fit the end of the long hinge.

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

3999 posts
Member since Jun 2003
There’s a bracket to anchor and connect the end of the cable to. I attached this to the center radiator support…..be careful drilling here. It will be very easy to push a little to hard while drilling and possibly push the drill bit into the back of the radiator Be careful!

Now before attaching the cable end to the support, attach the end of the cable to the long hinge and make your
tentative adjustments, then after you see that the cable has a long enough throw, attach it to the center support and tighten It down.

You might have to make a few adjustments with the set screw on the cable to make the plate
go fully down, and all the way up…………

This is what the plate looks like in the up position , from the side

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

3999 posts
Member since Jun 2003
lol after getting this far I realized that I need to take a few more pictures ……..so I’ll be back with more to finish it up..........

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 06-20-2005).]

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

3999 posts
Member since Jun 2003
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

3999 posts
Member since Jun 2003

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 06-20-2005).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
That's neat!

Now , get crackin' on those pop-up headlight/rocket-launchers!

CentralFloridaFieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CentralFloridaFierosClick Here to visit CentralFloridaFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to CentralFloridaFierosDirect Link to This Post
Now have the Digi with you so when you get pulled over for no front plate and you say what?!?!? and the Cop walks up and you dropped it down so it is there. Priceless!
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
Good write up! I'm glad Michigan only needs the back.

Here's two more ideas, electric and vacuum for those that have the $$.

ELEC LICENSE FOLDING KIT
http://www.yearwood.com/store/products_details.php?cat=0&cp=0&s=&id=GTP3

Description:
This electric retractor wires to your ignition switch. The plate folds down when switch is on. When switch is off the plate folds out of sight. This unit is water proof and comes with wire, fuses and complete instructions.

Regularly priced at $199.95

Item #GTP3
Price $179.00

http://www.hotrodproducts.com/RetractAPlate.htm

Solve your License Plate location problems with D.F.M's Vacuum Operated, Front or Rear License Plate Holder that Automatically Lowers when the engine is started and Retracts when shut off. This Kit requires only 14 inches of Vacuum, plus Vacuum is the safest and most durable method for movement control. Kit comes complete with all installation pieces. A "Slick Kit" for any Street Rod, Car or Truck. Can also be used with Super or Turbo Chargers!

Complete Kit Only $145.00

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I like the idea, but you might need a skid strip on it if you ever intend to drive with it down. It's likely to rub quite a bit on the ground. I really like the fast that it doesn't cost $200 like the other kits.
PFF
System Bot
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I like the idea, but you might need a skid strip on it if you ever intend to drive with it down. It's likely to rub quite a bit on the ground. I really like the fast that it doesn't cost $200 like the other kits.

No no no...... You don't drive with it down! You pop it down when you get pulled over. "What are you talking about!? I have a front plate! Go look again!"

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Our Texas laws are just vauge enough that I'm sure they would still ticket you if it's not displayed while you are driving.

I guess I had it backwards, I thought the tag was displayed while you were driving and then folded away while you were parked.

I did the next best thing and folded my tag permanently, that way it's not so much in the way.

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool! Does it automatically retract by wind force at speeds over 30?
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
"Can also be used with Super or Turbo Chargers! "

Thats the vaccum one, so if you have a SC or turbo the plate will retract when you make boost so no one will know who's doing those big smokey burnouts !!

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
we have our eye on you...
2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Here's two more ideas, electric and vacuum for those that have the $$.

both of these units are cool.......
but I wanted something that did not automatically move up or down with the key being turned on.

I don't like the front plate on the car ........just wanted to show it when it needed to be shown.
peace

Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 04:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Very clever! I like it! Too bad I had ordered a bra for my GT with the plate cutout already
carolinajoe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carolinajoeClick Here to visit carolinajoe's HomePageSend a Private Message to carolinajoeDirect Link to This Post
Glad I live in Florida.
We don't need those stinking Front Plates

------------------
"You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! -- Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur-king, you and all your silly English knnnniggets. Thppppt!. . . I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!" (Monty Python,Holy Grail)

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
Looks good!! I was going to go with the swing down on mine but it would not clear my aftermarket air dam. I had to use the drawer slide to straight up and down.

Keep in mind you might want to hide the hinges. In most states it is stated to be illegal to have a moveable plate. Might want to paint them black or put a rear cover over them. I hide the sider on mine high enough up and you can't move my plate so they have no idea unless they see it move.

FYI, since these photos I have made adjustments that let the plate fully be seen including the state.

Looks Really Ragtop! It worked out better on the GT than I thought it would.

You were also lucky to have more room to work under the bumper than I had. The coupe is lacking in space back there.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 06-21-2005).]

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all,

As a WI native I can feel your disgust of having to have a front mounted plate..I mean, hell, the darn cops will come up behind you if they need you any how........

Nice work too!

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock