Started on: 06-20-2005 07:35 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 06-23-2005 11:48 AM
rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
I am puzzled with so many combinations of these shifters. I took these out of donors but never paid close attention to them. Maybe some of you gurus can help me. I have two sets showing. The 1st set have a tighter bend in the handle than the 2nd set is a lot straighter. In each set, one has a spring (see close ups) and the base has gussets and a flange in the backround.

1st set

2nd set

Close up w/spring

Close up w/o spring

All I know is I pulled them out of cars with 84 Muncie 4sp, 85 Isuzu 5sp, 86 Isuzu 5sp and one is unknown. Two of them have holes for alignment pins for the select and shift cables and two have alignment holes for the shift cables ONLY. Now I understand the 84 4sp had a back up light switch on it. Where does it go? I looked in the manual and it shows a bracket as part of the base. My suspicion is the 84 I pulled out was not the original shifter. Anyway, who can add more info to this mystery of mine? Who has a pic of the proper 84 4sp shifter? Thank you in advance fellows.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
I did'nt realize this was that tough or is it just me? Does anyone know how to tell a 4sp shifter from a 5sp? And why the different bends in the handles? Thx.
wwilli17077

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wwilli17077Send a Private Message to wwilli17077Direct Link to This Post
I just replaced the shift cable on my 5-speed Getrag. It had only the one alignment hole for the shift cable. The select cable is not adjustable on that transmission. Sorry I don't have any info for a 4-speed.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT
1995 Caprice 9c1 LT1

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
The different bends in the handles are due to Pontiac changing them after the 84 model year. The shorter ones with the almost 90 degree bends are from 84's. People complained about the shifter effort, so Pontiac lengthened the shifter.

But that doesn't mean the shifter assemblies in your first pic are neccessarily from 1984 Fieros. It's a pretty common mod to take an 84 shifter handle and put it in a later car. A lot of people like the shorter shift handle, and they are simple to swap in and out.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
none of those are for a 4 speed tranny
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
The one on thje left is the Isuzu and the one on the right is the Getrag.

------------------
PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS

Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
(262) 835-9575

www.rodneydickman.com

rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies.
Rodney - Someone must have swapped the shifters cuz I did not pull any out of a getrag equipped car. Also, just noticed the bolt and nut on the shifter to the right of set #1 has the bolt installed from the wrong side at the factory. They must have assembled the pivot and weld the upright bracket after. Now that bolt cannot be removed without cutting the bracket of first. How's that for quality control? Does anyone have a pic of the 4-sp with the back up switch in place? I looked at 84, 85, 86 and 87 Helm books and are not very clear.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
from what I have seen:

84's have a shorter arm
85's same bend as the 84's but the arm is longer
86's+ they changed the bend in the shifter arm so that it straighter (part way through the production) early Izusu's still had the 90* bends.

I have 2 Izusu shifters, one from an early car and on from a leter one, the later one has the straighter arm.

The ones you show are for a 5 speed tranny - I am sure my later model one has the spring, but I will have to pull the shifter plate off my 86 and have a look at it again. - verified, my 86 shifter does have the spring as shown above.

...and here is a picture of the 4 speed one (not the best sample)

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-26-2005).]

rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2005 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Mickey_Moose - Thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Besides the bracket for the back up switch there are also other brackets attached to activate the switch. Interesting. The question is how do you guys with swaps hooked up to a four speed make the back up lites work, since the 4-sp does not have a switch in the trans? Do you change to an 84 shifter?
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rubyredfiero:

Mickey_Moose - Thanks for the pic. That's exactly what I wanted to see. Besides the bracket for the back up switch there are also other brackets attached to activate the switch. Interesting. The question is how do you guys with swaps hooked up to a four speed make the back up lites work, since the 4-sp does not have a switch in the trans? Do you change to an 84 shifter?

Yes you will have to use the 4 speed shifter with the 4 speed tranny. The switch is not shown in the picture but the backup lights switch is activated by the plate that is just above where the select cable attaches. Area circled in above picture. I don't know where the switch is so I can attach it for a picture.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-23-2005).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock