Started on: 06-04-2005 08:51 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: KitKar on 07-21-2005 12:42 AM
fierobrian

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i need a paint job on a 85 se black that is in good shap but the clear faded . i just want to paint it black looking to spend 300 to 400 and want a clear coat . is this doable . anyone had good luck at any of these cheap spary shops . i will be sanding the car down and everything with be black . please post names and address to any shop so i know good or bad

if there is someone closes that paints and wants to make some cash p.m or post here

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 06-04-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
aviator46

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aviator46Send a Private Message to aviator46Direct Link to This Post
Well, good luck in your search. I don't trust paint shops anymore. Lousy guarntees, shoddy work etc. SInce I went to school, I'm painting my own. Check places out throughly before you commit.

------------------

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
come on no has had there car painted on the cheap
HellYes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post
Do not get a Macco paint job. I have seen their work first hand and Krylon would look better. It's **** .
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the Maaco. I get 3 or 4 painted a month for a few hundred dollars. Majority of them look fine. Only problem Ive ever seen is sometimes theyre a little light near the bottom. Most I send over are late model Cadillacs. I just do all the body work, masking and sanding. They shoot them for less than I buy the paint for and I dont have to close up and go home after there painted, waiting for them to dry. One by me does a LOT of peoples collector cars too. Always some old Chevelle, Cuda or something there. Im down to only painting repair jobs or high line cars that have to be a lot better.
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The MAACO paint jobs vary greatly. There are 2 shops in the area and both do an average job and I know the one out in McHenry doesn't do a good job. A $400 paint job is going to look like a $400 paint job. If you do all the prep work yourself you can save a lot of money. Check with some local body shops. You can prep and mask most of the car and ask them for the cost to just spray it. This usually gets you a better paint job and less cost.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i think if you pulled off the side mouldings, mirrors and the badges if you can a maaco paint job will be just fine. i had an eclipse painted at maaco and it came out just fine.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Just don't be suprised when you pay $400 for a paint job and it looks like a $400 paint job.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
as long as it looks all the same color , and isn't faded i will be able to keep it at my house . you know who said that
not looking for a show car ! just a decent 10 foot car is all i need .
do you really think i schould take the belt trim off even if i want that paint also ? is that just so they get painted on all sides ?
KA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KASend a Private Message to KADirect Link to This Post
I have paperwork showing my car has a Maco paint job. It looks like a black orange! Just a tad bit better than spraycan flat black.

The good part is I never worry abot anything ruining the paint!

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
so has anyone painted a car with spraycans , how did it look ? any photos where did you find a spot to paint and not end up with leaves and cr@p in the paint . anyone have a air compresser & a place to paint ? i have a gun and everything just no where to paint at
PFF
System Bot
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

fierobrian

2976 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by KA:

I have paperwork showing my car has a Maco paint job. It looks like a black orange! Just a tad bit better than spraycan flat black.

The good part is I never worry abot anything ruining the paint!

have you wet sanded and buffed ? that will fix orange peel i did that a shop for a time

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Earl Sheib will paint any car any color for $199!
It has a 1 year warranty and looks great from 100ft away.

Just remember they will "paint" the car. masking is a waste of time so they paint everything on the car.

http://www.earlscheib.com/

hauntedone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hauntedoneSend a Private Message to hauntedoneDirect Link to This Post
I had a paint job from macco and 2 years later I need to get a decent paint job. The paint is all but falling off.

My problem started when I took it to maccoo. They painted the whole car black, even thought I told them to leave the bottom silver. Also they left the spoiler on the car and just painted over it. The area under the spoiler is the same paint as before.

There were marks and runs in the paint all over. The worst part was, the fact the whole car was covered in dust, engine and interior, upon delivery.

I paid $350 for the paint job and got $350 worth. Now I have to go and do it right.

If you plan on keeping your car and want to be proud of it you will have to spend the money. You get what you pay for.

[This message has been edited by hauntedone (edited 06-05-2005).]

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
the car will never be a show car . i only have 1000.00(with everything buying and fixing and upgrades ) in it not looking to spend more on paint than the whole car .
everything will be taken off mirrors , belt line trim , sail panels and the luggage rack will be romoved and it will be a flat trunk

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 06-05-2005).]

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
bump
stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 06-06-2005).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I'm in a similar situation and I was wondering, don't the vocational and/or trade schools need vehicles for the students to practice on?
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stimpy:

I say give $100 to a good detailer rather then $400 to Maaco.

This might be the best answer. Take it to a detail or body shop and see what a good buff/polish would cost.
If the paint isn't damaged just dull, a good buff/polish can make it look like it was repainted.

stimpy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 386
User Banned

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stimpySend a Private Message to stimpyDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 06-06-2005).]

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

This might be the best answer. Take it to a detail or body shop and see what a good buff/polish would cost.
If the paint isn't damaged just dull, a good buff/polish can make it look like it was repainted.

i have done that for years as a job . you can't color sand if you don't have any color left . that is my problum .the 3 top panels are shot as in gray primer showing

PFF
System Bot
Fiero Finale

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero FinaleSend a Private Message to Fiero FinaleDirect Link to This Post
What about spending the money(probably a lot less too!!) on a Maaco job and buy the actual tools to do a paintjob yourself?? Make a homemade paint booth and wah lah!!! You'd teach yourself how to do it, and have the tools necessary for down the road too.
fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Finale:

What about spending the money(probably a lot less too!!) on a Maaco job and buy the actual tools to do a paintjob yourself?? Make a homemade paint booth and wah lah!!! You'd teach yourself how to do it, and have the tools necessary for down the road too.

i know how to paint i have painted a few cars but , i don't have a garge anymore and my town write tickets for parking on the sidewalk . so i don't think they will let me make a booth on my front yard . and i don't have 220 volts to run the air compress that i have right now . and to get a air compress that will spary a car will run more than a paint job if i didn't have one . you can't paint with the cheap 100.00 ones I DON'T WANT TO HAVE LEAVES AND ALL THE TREE STUFF AS A NATURAL FLAKE IN THE PAINT . :0

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 06-06-2005).]

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobrian:
i know how to paint i have painted a few cars but , i don't have a garge anymore and my town write tickets for parking on the sidewalk . so i don't think they will let me make a booth on my front yard . and i don't have 220 volts to run the air compress that i have right now . and to get a air compress that will spary a car will run more than a paint job if i didn't have one . you can't paint with the cheap 100.00 ones I DON'T WANT TO HAVE LEAVES AND ALL THE TREE STUFF AS A NATURAL FLAKE IN THE PAINT . :0

I think this is the longest "sorry I can't help you" post I've ever read!

------------------

There isn’t much better in this life than finding a way to spend a few hours in conversation with people you respect and love.
You have to carve this time out of your life because you aren’t really living without it.

timwdegner

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timwdegnerSend a Private Message to timwdegnerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Depends on the Maaco. I get 3 or 4 painted a month for a few hundred dollars...

This is where you know you have too many Fieros . . .

Coop9200

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Coop9200Click Here to visit Coop9200's HomePageSend a Private Message to Coop9200Direct Link to This Post
my fiero was a maaco job, my dad's porsche was a maaco job, and my sisters old VW jetta was a maaco job. The paint jobs themselves are great. My dad's car shins like no other, and it was done over 2 years ago. There were other problems though, but not with the paint...rust spots that were suppose to be taken care of, but weren't...we complained, problem fixed. Paint wise, it all depends on the painter at maaco, but we were quite pleased how ours turned out

-Coop

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Paint was done at Macco stripes were done 2nd party.

------------------
85GT 5spd MSD Everything,4.9 With Nitrous. www.captfiero.com

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the words of hope . in the next week or so i will have a new paint job . i have pulled evrey trim part , side mirrors , rear luggage rack and sanded the whole car . so they will have a good base to work with . captfiero your car is SWEET !!! it looks great .i want to do something close to that but mine will be black with a double red stripe .
is that a decal or painted on ?

[This message has been edited by fierobrian (edited 07-22-2005).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
That is actually my fiancé's car. My car is black with white trim.

Those are a decal kit from Paul Mcibben at http://fierosails.com/decal.html

We recently found this place, http://fierostripes.com and might give them a try as well.

However Paul was so great he gave Lisa extra strip after a mistake was made in the application of the main stripe kit. Paul is a class act and you cant ask for a nicer person to deal with.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 07-20-2005).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Paint was done at Macco stripes were done 2nd party.

Stripes over the sunroof???

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yep adds a neat look to it. Considering we have 2 spare sunroof glasses sitting in the garage we did not mind giving it a shot and it looks good IMHO and Hers.
PFF
System Bot
Jax184

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jax184Click Here to visit Jax184's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jax184Direct Link to This Post
A picture is worth a thousand lies...

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

That's the original 21 year old factory paint job. The photo makes it look like it just rolled off the assembly line.
In reality the rear end is faded, a number of scratches and dings are noticable and there's a large patch of damaged paint behind the passenger door where I assume it bubbled and flaked off.

It's something you have to see before you can safely beleave.

At any rate I'm interested in a silver repaint in the future when the red deteriorates more.

fierobrian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobrianSend a Private Message to fierobrianDirect Link to This Post
i think i will go will fierosail.com i have heard MANY GREAT THINGS ABOUT HIM !!
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Yep adds a neat look to it. Considering we have 2 spare sunroof glasses sitting in the garage we did not mind giving it a shot and it looks good IMHO and Hers.

I'd have done (and just might do) the same thing. Though while considering it, I was thinking of going with a vinyl stripe though I don't see anything wrong with painting it, especially if you have a spare. From the photo, the paint job you got from Macco looks pretty good. I've seen alot of Neons and Caravans running around with paint peeling off hoods and roofs, I think when it comes to a Macco job, I'll be stopping by a few times to ask to see a few samples of what they can do. Then I'd find out who there did it and make sure that the same person did mine. The other thing I'd do is talk directly to the person who was going to do the work and slip them a few bucks, maybe a half now, half later type deal.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I should note a few things.

The car won 1st place in the Fiero class at the All Pontiac Show and Shine.

It is not a base Maaco job.
She and a friend did there own prep work.

The car was wet sanded down and then it cost her $1050 CDN for them to shoot it. Thats about $820 American for them to simply apply the paint. Not having to prep it.

I have seen them do the cheap paint jobs and they did not look bad at all.

If all you want is a 10ft paint job that will last a couple of years then I say go for it.

Maaco can do a GOOD paint job if you want one though. The guys get enough experience doing jobs day in and day out that given the good paint and time they can do a good job.

KitKar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2005 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitKarClick Here to visit KitKar's HomePageSend a Private Message to KitKarDirect Link to This Post
It really does depend on what shop you bring it to. I had mine done at Earl Scheib twice. The first place did an awful job. Lots of overspray and it was extremely dull considering it was supposed to have clear coat. I also paid them for three door jambs. One under the hood so they would get the fender lip, one for the door sills and one for the decklid. I think it was a ripoff considering how little they had to paint in there, but under the hood they half assed masked it and hosed the complete underside of it as well as a few other things. The door sills were fine and they didn't do under the deck lid at all. I ended up bringing it back to fix but they didn't have time to do it so they sent me to another shop. That shop sanded it all down and did it right for no extra charge. That shop was great. Of course I still have all the overspray from the first shop. I think I paid about $650.
Everyone here will tell you not to waste your money, but not everyone can afford a $3000 paint job. If you go to the right shop they really aren't bad for the price.

------------------
Rick Lord
http://www.KingdomCustoms.com
My FrankenFormula Project

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock