My rear defuser by 3.8 SC
Started on: 06-02-2005 10:02 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: exoticse on 08-25-2005 04:40 PM
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I have had a lot of people ask me where I got the rear defuser, that is under the rear bumper of my Fiero.
I didn't want to hi-jack another thread, to talk about it. So I am putting it together here. It is a wing off of an 82 Trans Am.
I don't have a lot of pics, because when I get started on a project, I forget to take photos as I go. So I will try my best to discribe what I have done.

Here is another wing, that was given to me. This is to show what I started with. The wing is the only thing that you will get from the salvage yard.

Yes, I know when is it going to paint!

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 06-02-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone guess what was modified in this photo, to get the defuser to fit?

More to come!
------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 06-02-2005).]

ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
Can anyone guess what was modified in this photo, to get the defuser to fit?

The stands!

Very nice work...I really like it.

F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2005 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:
I forget to take photos as I go. So I will try my best to discribe what I have done.

Man you (insert explative here)

I look forward to at least reading about what you've done on this mod, though it probably won't be as interesting as bubbajoe's!

------------------

There isn’t much better in this life than finding a way to spend a few hours in conversation with people you respect and love.
You have to carve this time out of your life because you aren’t really living without it.

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
That is the best one that I have seen yet. It looks like it should actually provide usable downforce and fill the aerodynamic void behind the car.

------------------
87 Fiero SE

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3.8 SC:

... The wing is the only thing that you will get from the salvage yard...

Or from the 82 T/A at the house down the street (late at night)! He'll never recognize it upside-down on the underside of my Fiero!

Thanks for the thread. It looks great!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If a normal spoiler provides downforce wouldn't an upside down one produce lift?

Just kidding, I know the answer is you adjust the angle of attack to produce negative lift or downforce.

It looks good. When I make some adjustments to my diffuser I'll post them in the other thread.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Very simple and interesting. A good use of "re-using" Pontiac old parts-----Good job. Do you have a closer pic?
3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all that replied! As far as adding down force - I don't really see it doing much.
I did this to blend in the ground effects that I made from Z-24 side skirts. Now, on with the build.

Yes, I had to move the stand offs, in 6" on each side, so that they would not be in the exhaust cut outs.
Basically, I measured from the stand off, in 6" on both sides. Then made perpendicular cuts across the wing.

Make sure that you only cut though one layer. These wings are two pieces, laminated together.
WARNING! Lots of fiber glass dust. Wear a dust mask, when using a cutoff wheel.
After you make the cuts, CAFEFULLY pry the the two stand offs up and swap sides.

After you swap the stand offs, re-glue them and clamp the wing. Then let it dry.
Add a little filler, then sand it all smooth. Now you are ready to put it on the car.

The filler in the photo is what I used though out the whole build. This filler is flexible.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

3.8 SC

577 posts
Member since Dec 2003
When putting the defuser on the bumper, I used four 4" carriage bolts with washers and nuts.
I drilled four holes, all of the way though the stand offs. Two of the bolts will go though the bumper skin
and the other two will go though the trunk floor.

As for the ends of the wing. I just riveted them to the bumper skin with a thin backing plate on the back side of the bumper.
Then I added the Z-24 side skirt pieces that I made up. And then finished that part of the project from there.

If you are not adding anything to the side of the car, you can blend the defuser into the bumper with fiberglass mat for a smooth look.
But the ends, have to have some kind of fastener or they will rip off the car.
If there is anything that I left out or not sure of. Please let me know.

Now, if I could only get the car into paint!

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
I like it. I may try one for mine, that still hasn't made it to paint yet.
Looks good, as does the rest of the car.

------------------
(formerly known as sqoach)
86 SE 4 spd - undergoing reconstructive surgery
86 SE auto - receiving heart transplant - it's alive!!
86 GT auto - daily driver

85 GT 4 spd - parts car

PFF
System Bot
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post
Where did you get the side skirts? Very nice.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Nice work.

Wait till you see the custom diffuser one other forum member has put together !

He is going to debut it at Daytona 2006.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fourpoint9:

Where did you get the side skirts? Very nice.

The side skirts are from a Cavalier Z24 the older body style ones... I think 88-94...

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2005 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments! As for when it goes to paint - It should be going in two weeks. My painter is having some problems at the moment and I haven't got the T-roof in yet. I have, also, been helping out with an Indy - Fiero project.

Don

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052322.html#lastpost
My rear defuser
It will be painted at the end of summer!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2005 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

3.8 SC

What rims and what size are you going to put on the car ?

What color is the car going to be ?

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2005 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! I like it. I wonder how it would look on a fastback I am defenetly going to try that when I finally decide to paint my GT. Good work!
-Roy

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2005 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Here is a link to the paint scheme that is going on the Fiero.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20050818-1-050092.html

The rims are TSW Kyalami Rims. 17X7 front - 17X8 rear

The tires are going to be BFGoodrich G-force KW. I am not sure on the sizes yet. I just know I want the back tires to be wide.

------------------
WWW.CLEVELANDFIEROS.COM

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052322.html#lastpost
My rear defuser
It will be painted at the end of summer!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2005 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Ok yeah i remember that paint thread. Very Cool !

You will have one very sharp and distinctive fiero when you are finished.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock