Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who said this was easy? - My TPI-V8 swap :-) by Alex4mula
Started on: 10-07-2004 03:36 PM
Replies: 283
Last post by: Alex4mula on 07-27-2005 03:26 PM
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2004 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are a couple.

used intake boot

new itnake boot

IP: Logged
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Does anyone knows what type of K&N filter fits taht? TIA
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
here is the pic of the throttle bodies. The bottom one is the TPI unit. Top is the LT1. The IAC for the LT1 is used on many GM cars.

For the air filter, I'd email the guy who has the auction. I would imagine its 2 1/2 inch, or 3 inches in Diameter. I'm going to get one sooner or later.

Helps to put the right pic in there.

[This message has been edited by KissMySSFiero (edited 11-15-2004).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
It seems in the same location as the TPI. What is different? The sensor? Does the connector on it points forward? The plate definitely has the same bolt pattern.

On another note the 4 cyl TPS sensor that I'm using is not reading properly. It reads from 0.9V to 2.5V at WOT. It should be 4.5-5.0V at WOT

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 11-15-2004).]

California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
No offense Alex, but you should run a balance pipe between your 2 exhaust pipes. Would take some creative thinking, but it will improve the performance.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thought about it. Once I have this thing driving I'll see. To be honest I don't thinkit will add a huge amount of HP but later on it still can be added
LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Were you and Lou successful this weekend? Did the Camaro help any?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Yepeeee! Yes it was. After swaping ECMs and Calpaks with the Camaro we found out we have two good ECMs and two bad Calpaks. No wonder it didn't work. Today we just used a good Calpak and it roared to life It sounds so nice and mean So nice also that with the stock Fiero harness and a $30.00 165 ECM it makes the TPI setup works so great.
Now the bad part Starter solenoid went bad on the Powermaster. What a crap. Don't anyone dare to say "I told you" please. Now I need to find a replacement solenoid or another starter pronto. Also it seems one A/C line broke and got no cool air. Glad tha here temps are nice now but I'll fix that soon too. Now to finish all the details. Dash temp gage seems not to work so I need somehow to watch those temps. Also need to fix the tach to read correctly. Finally the 4cyl TPS doesn't work good. Car idles fine with it but it is reading from 0.9V to 2.5V and it should read from 0.5V to near 5V. So either it is bad or application is wrong. Worst case I drill another hole in the shock tower or use Archies method that brings it up. Will see
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Tower Shop Friday night?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2004 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Yes if I can find a starter tomorrow
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Just went through that with my Powermaster starter over the weekend. Turned out the starter was good, it just wasn't getting 12V at the start wire (Only getting 11.3V). For some reason, that wasn't enough to move the solenoid so I wired a Ford starter relay in and now it works great.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Mine is dead. I took it out and tested on a bench and nothing. Sarter body spins (activated directly) but solenoid just gets hot and does nothing. I'll probably buy a CSR today. Now that I heard that engine I need this thing running soon!
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm really impressed with your use of the Fiero Harness and the special ECM. Now... You MUST share! I really need the details for my swap.

By the way, I found a good deal on a new electric water pump on ebay and bought it. So, I'm getting more serious about the swap.

Again, Congratulations,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Big congrats - and I too would love to hear more about your wiring proejct
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Alex I have a CSI 100 on my V8 and I have zero problems. CSR bought out CSI but the P/N's should be the same.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2004 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all Today I bought a CSR starter and what a difference it made. This thing cranks with authority. Now the problem was the A/C. Don't know how the compressor hose got a little small hole and leaked most of the R12 Tomorrow I'll receive a new one. Today we hooked up the suspension, notched the hood and many miscelaneous things. Car is just waiting for that A/C hose and put the muffler back and we should be ready to drive I was able to put the tranny in gear while the engine was running so the longer rod we used seems to be working. Hopefully tomorrow I may post some final pictures and a little movie. Stay tuned
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Excellent!
You almost *do* make it sound easy! Although I know that's not the case.
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Easy? I wish I could say that. This is little problem after little problem to be solved. In my case last two weeks has been troubleshooting the ECM but the result is great. Then you have the extras like that starter and now the A/C line leak. Oh well. Still I think I may finish this week. Here are some pics of the latest items.

This is my new starter. CSR 100U Platinum series. Not that hard to align in there;

This is another area I still need to address. That TPS will work for now but not at WOT. Also still too tall as you can see

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
This is the hood frame after being cut and fiberglassed to look decent. Still needs paint. This is Lou's nice idea and craftmanship

These are the fuel pump and A/C relays together with the water pump relay. Never invert the A/C and fuel pump relays. I did and caused me some gray hair figuring out why pump was running all time and A/C didn't work

Now this is how the stock harness look in the firewall. Just stock. I like it.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
This is how the 1227165 ECM looks inside the car. Just like the Fiero one. The plate door will stay open because I'm using an EPROM carrier for easy removal for tunning and it sticks out a little bit.

Finally I needed to do something to avoid taking on and off the console just to access my chip. So I cut an access hole for it I'll detail that a little better later on and put a door or something

C'ya!

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
very nice work

your note about the fuel and a/c relay got me wondering... i was under the impression that they were the same part number. so if you had problems, maybe one is not working right...?

PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Alex,

That looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, soon.

One comment about the deck lid trim. You may want to consider knocking off the "point" in the hinge side on the deck and smoothing that transition. I think by doing so it would make the notch a lot less noticeable.

Roy

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Alex it looks great and I am looking forward to seeing it this Friday. How many Fieros will be showing up?
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! Glad you got it to run.
Looking at Skitime's deck lid you will notice that he had to cut it down as well.
Here is what he had to say

Originally posted by skitime:
In preparation of the intercooler I modified my trunk lid. I found it interesting that even though I had done a major modification to my engine compartment prior to Carlisle not even one person noticed it. Actually that pleased me since I knew it must of appeared stock therefore not noticeable. The intercooler is 2 ¼ inches thick so the supercharger would be raised that much and would interfere with the trunk lid so a major modification needed to be done for clearance. So I had to cut a lot of clearance into the trunk support and the trunk hinge.

Looks good and no one noticed.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Well, I was able to drive the car just enough to detect another bigger problem. The original tranny noise that I had before the swap which I thought was the release bearing was not the release bearing. It was the tranny 3rd, 4th and 5th make this shattering noise but more noticeable now. Will have to drive it like that for now but will need to have a spare tranny soon. But we got the A/C fixed and we have no leaks and everything else seems fine. I still need to replace that TPS which we think is still giving me a rough idle and anyway it is not reading as it should. Thanks all for the supporting comments and now lets go to the fine tuning process
flyingbob

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyingbobSend a Private Message to flyingbobDirect Link to This Post
Thats a good write up on your engine swap, I just read all 5 pages and admired your attention to detail, you probably took just as long to do the documentation as it did to do the swap + to you
Bob
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Inquiring minds want to know how you did the fuel injection. Did you use a stock V6 harness (with 2 injectors added) and a stock V6 ECM with a chip from another car? Did you have a chip made? Was that all there was to it? I want to do the same thing. I have a TPI setup, a stock 86 SE 4 speed ECM and a V6 wiring harness. Do I just need the magic chip?

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Stock Fiero harness with two injectors added and some sensors extended (other side of engine on TPI) and some pins changed in the connector to ECM. ECM is a 1227165 used on 86-88 (I think) MAF Camaro/Firebird using GM australian vehicle code. I'm documenting the whole thing. All info is at thirdgen.org but Fiero needs couple more changes.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Well I just got back from the local Friday night cruise and Alex showed up with the new and improved Formula. Let me tell you that all the pics he has posted on this thread do not do justice to his and Lou's installation. It is still a work in progress, but it is already an award winner. I shot some pics but they are not worth posting (out of focus). Alex said that he would take some pics in the morning so maybe he can do some posting. We had 6 Fieros show up tonight, 5 88's and one 87. When Daytona rolls around be sure to look up Alex and Lou because Lou will have his 350 installed by that time. It looks like the front row at Daytona will be tough next year judging by what I have seen so far.
One last item, if I had a recording of Alex's exhaust, well let me just say you should have been there to hear it.

EDIT for Alex------I have that Elbow and K/N filter.

[This message has been edited by LT188GT (edited 11-26-2004).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

No offense Alex, but you should run a balance pipe between your 2 exhaust pipes. Would take some creative thinking, but it will improve the performance.

Balance pipes may add a couple of horsepower, but in my opinion they absolutely ruin the sound of the exhaust. Nothing sounds nicer (as in meaner) than a V8 with true dual-exhaust (two distinct, separate exhaust/muffler/tailpipes).

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Clem Today I have 4 cars in front of the garage door so it will take me some time to take it out for the pics.
Last night was a great night for me. You forget all the pain of the whole install when you get so many people telling you how nice it looks and when you see their faces when it is running. I have to admit that the exhaust ended up in the loud side. Every time I fired it up a small crowd grew around the car Then you get all those questions; "Does it fits there? Does it overheat? What tranny are you using? How long it took you to do it? Would you install one on mine?"
It was really nice. Now I need to refine it little by little. Main item is the tranny. It is grinding horribly and it is almost louder than the exhaust. And that's al ot to say! But I'm a happy camper
PFF
System Bot
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Do you still want the elbow for the intake?
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Yes! Don't want to keep my land of Oz unit
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Another victim of disease.
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
You will be on that list.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Last night I did the tach mod. I did the resistor method. It measured 250Kohm and used couple of resistors plus a variable one to get the 187.5Kohms. Tach now read fine. This mod was really easy Here are some pics of it;

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
This is how the TPS came out. I had to cut the grill extensively to make it fit. It is not too noticeable on this picture. I still have plans to do the Archie mod and use the stock TPI one;

This is Rodney's strut. What a great product. I bet it could hold two lids!

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Alex4mula

7403 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Finally this is how the engine looks finished with the grills on (before strut being added). The Wizard of Oz intake is temporary until someone here sells me the one he is not using... Clem??

Car is running I would say at 60% level. From now on I need to do a lot of tuning to compensate engine mods. I ordered an LM-1 to get the A/F right as now it seems to be running very lean according to O2 gage. Also it is running to hot to my taste at 220°-238°F for this cool weather we have now. I may need later on to upgrade radiator. Oh well... one step at a time. like I said initially, who said this was easy

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Car is running I would say at 60% level. From now on I need to do a lot of tuning to compensate engine mods. I ordered an LM-1 to get the A/F right as now it seems to be running very lean according to O2 gage. Also it is running to hot to my taste at 220°-238°F for this cool weather we have now. I may need later on to upgrade radiator. Oh well... one step at a time. like I said initially, who said this was easy

I'm just curious, but would it running lean cause it to run hotter also?

Matt

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero go fast:

I'm just curious, but would it running lean cause it to run hotter also?

Matt

Most likely, it's running hot beacuse it's running lean. You may also have to install an oil cooler.

Looks great,
Roy

[This message has been edited by mrfixit58 (edited 12-01-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay