Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Chop Top T-Top - (and my other ® cars.) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Chop Top T-Top - (and my other ® cars.) by Will-Martin
Started on: 07-09-2004 02:35 AM
Replies: 140
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-02-2005 07:40 PM
Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
Before I get into my chop top, let me go ahead and establish the names of my cars so no one gets pissed when I debut them later this year.

88 Chop Top T-Top - BLACK HEA®T
88 Chop Top GT - ®OJO
88 Convertable Coupe - VE®DE
88 GT - AZU®E

Notice the little ® - that is my naming handle since my MUD days.

NOW ON WITH YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED CHOP -

Here is how it looked a couple of months ago, when no one wanted to buy it.

Here is the base coupe, half stripped.

Here is how it looked a few weeks ago.

Here is one side fit up and welded as of this evening.

I will be working on it some this weekend and I will be posting some more pictures as I progress. It actually looks like I will wind up getting it all welded out in a day or two, so I can start on the chassis prep. After that, I have OVER $5,500 worth of goodies I will be throwing into this thing, so it should be something to see when I get it done later this year. BEWARE OF BLACKHEA®T!!

--Will

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 07-09-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tjfennel

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjfennelClick Here to visit tjfennel's HomePageSend a Private Message to tjfennelDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!! I'll be watching this one closely. Looking forward to more pics
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
A chop t-top? Cool, I've been waiting for someone to take the plunge on this! Keep us posted, and make sure there's plenty of pics
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 04:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will-Martin:

88 Chop Top T-Top - BLACK HEA®T
Here is one side fit up and welded as of this evening.

--Will

Okay I am very impressed but I still can't figure out how you are doing it?

How are you shortening the roof witihout moving the T-tops back? Or are you shortening the T-tops, Or are you using custom windshield? Inquiring minds would really like to know.

ps - and when can you do mine???

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Coupe (Daily Driver), 1985 SE (Project Car), 1985 Coupe (parts car), Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 07-09-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

This could be groundbreaking stufff !

I was wondering when somebody with the skills would take a swing at this.

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
This should be a very cool thread to watch...
Will you be swapping the engine on the chop-top T top?

Best of luck with your project!

-FieroRumor

------------------

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I knew someone would finally do this! After seeing how Orville used another windshield in his car and moved it forward about 5 inches, I knew a T-top could be chopped successfully. Not sure if that is what is being done here but it is how I would do it if I were going to chop a T-top.

Spddy.. I still have that extra T-top chassis out here.. Tell me when to bring it up! haha

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
*bump*

couldnt stand to see this on page 2...for personal reasons

Will you offer your t-top chopping services?

------------------

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
ps - and when can you do mine???

Originally posted by Nebiros88:
couldnt stand to see this on page 2...for personal reasons

Will you offer your t-top chopping services?

I don't think so. The things I am having to do to this Fiero are illegal in 31 states. Just kidding. It is a lot of cutting and welding to ponder on someone else's car. I still do not think I will do anyone else's until I have tested this one out for a while. A few pics to tide you guys over.

Here is a 1/4 shot from the front. Notice the A-pillar on the opposite side in the stock location. It already has a section removed also!

I am having to shorten the A pillars and rake them back which means - custom windshield. It is the only way to go though.

I have to eat something now, or I will pass out. I am pretty stoked about the way it is looking. I will post more pics tonight hopefully.

Thanks for your interest!!

--Will

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 07-09-2004).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Will-Martin

1164 posts
Member since Aug 2002

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

This should be a very cool thread to watch...
Will you be swapping the engine on the chop-top T top?

Best of luck with your project!

-FieroRumor

Thanks man!

Yep, I have a little somethin somethin planned... Here is my engine.

--Will

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
double post!

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 07-09-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Kento

4218 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Thanks man!

Yep, I have a little somethin somethin planned... Here is my engine.

--Will

COOL ! a DUAL 2.3 Quad 4 in a Chopped T-Top Sweet hehehe

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 07-09-2004).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

It is a lot of cutting and welding to ponder on someone else's car.

I am having to shorten the A pillars and rake them back which means - custom windshield. It is the only way to go though.

Thanks for your interest!!

--Will

I'm pretty excited to see a chop top emerging here in Texas. I know what you mean about cutting other people's cars. I wouldn't even think about doing to other's what I have done to mine.

I'm curious if the increase in rake of the A pillars will be 9 degrees like Archie's? It seems like it might be the same, but of course the windshield will be shorter so it won't look quite so exotic.

I'm also wondering if you have a windshield picked out or will you have to have one custom made from scratch? Also the rear and side windows, how do intend to make those?

And finally, all the custom fiberglass pieces that Archie has made up is what makes his chop tops look like they belong there, how do you intend to make those?

All the questions above are why I can't see myself attempting to do a chop top. I'll leave that to the experts

I assume the $5K of goodies is in addition to the engine?

Thanks for the updates, get some food and then please post some more pictures.

- Jonathan

BlueGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlueGTSend a Private Message to BlueGTDirect Link to This Post
I knew this could be done... Just waiting around for somebody to post it being done. Can't wait to see more pics!

------------------
BlueGT

[This message has been edited by BlueGT (edited 07-10-2004).]

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

I'm pretty excited to see a chop top emerging here in Texas. I know what you mean about cutting other people's cars. I wouldn't even think about doing to other's what I have done to mine.

I'm curious if the increase in rake of the A pillars will be 9 degrees like Archie's? It seems like it might be the same, but of course the windshield will be shorter so it won't look quite so exotic.

Actually came out to be less than 9 degrees for some reason. I will measure it exactly when I get a chance. The shorter windshield will definately be different, but I am anxious to see how it will look.

I'm also wondering if you have a windshield picked out or will you have to have one custom made from scratch? Also the rear and side windows, how do intend to make those?

No windshield picked out yet, I may go with racing lexan. I already have the lexan side glass, and I plan on getting a custom rear glass cut and tempered.

And finally, all the custom fiberglass pieces that Archie has made up is what makes his chop tops look like they belong there, how do you intend to make those?

I don't, I have something else planned. I am putting in a roll cage, and a custom interior. My old interior panels were trashed, so I tossed them.

* Let me state right here that my admiration for Archie has gone up a couple of notches since I started this thing. Anyone looking to pay Archie for a chop top is definately getting their money's worth. I would charge a lot more than Archie just for the metal work. Not to mention the interior, and exterior panels. Like I said, I don't think I could do this for others, even with the steel reinforcement, I am not sure the T-Tops will be rigid enough for a paying customer. That is why I am putting in the roll cage - strenghtening the chassis, and providing roll over protection.

All the questions above are why I can't see myself attempting to do a chop top. I'll leave that to the experts

I assume the $5K of goodies is in addition to the engine?

Nope, engine was $2K of it, $3K in extras.

Thanks for the updates, get some food and then please post some more pictures.
- Jonathan

I just ate, and I am over at Wholf's house now. I will post some more pics when I get home. Thanks for looking.

--Will

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Will,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions... I would give you a big "+" except I already have. I expect your ratings bar will show up real soon with this thread.

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Will,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions... I would give you a big "+" except I already have. I expect your ratings bar will show up real soon with this thread.

Right back at you. I can not believe I have not rated you yet. I love your T-Top install thread, and your Firebird interior install. I did not get to speak with you and your wife at Wheatstock that much, everyone was so busy.

Thanks,
--Will

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
**Speechless**

Keep up the GREAT work Will!

------------------

Custom Built -- W I D E B O D Y-- GT!!
One of One!!

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics -

This is the rear view. As you can see, this is about a 3" chop much like Archie's. Here the outer welds on the B-Pillars have been made.

Here is the A-Pillar prior to tacking it in place as shown in my post above. I wanted to show how I notched the A-Pillar connecting point to the lower chassis at the bottom of the windshield.

This is the passenger side outer skin welded. It may not look like it due to the flash and the grind tracks, but the surface is smooth.
Also, behind most of the welds I added plate steel reinforcements that were welded behind the body's stamped steel.

Driver's side, inside panel fit up and ready to weld tomorrow.

Tomorrow, I plan on welding the inner B-Pillar skins, and finishing out the A-Pillar reinforcement and welding. After that, I will be welding the A-Pillar mounts and begin cleaning up the chassis.

Enjoy!

--Will

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 07-10-2004).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Hey -- I see you're up too I'm really interested in this!! I would love to do a chop and - like most people - have more time than money right now! My main concern is the sail panels, but I have a GT so it's kind of different. How are you planning on doing yours?
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo =) 396 whp!

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bryson:

Hey -- I see you're up too I'm really interested in this!! I would love to do a chop and - like most people - have more time than money right now! My main concern is the sail panels, but I have a GT so it's kind of different. How are you planning on doing yours?
--Bryson

This actually started as a coupe, but I am converting it to a Fastback GT bodystyle. I will be modifying the fastback clip to fit the chop. I plan on just whacking it up into sections, then reglassing it the best way I can. I am going to cut down some quarter glass I bought from Doug @ The Fiero Warehouse. I wanted the dark tinted ones, but I actually received the lightly tinted ones. Oh well. :/

I am also modifying the hood, front fascia, rear fascia, and making a custom trunk lid for this project. So while it will resemble the GT bodystyle, it should be quite unique. The chop top is just the first step.

--Will

[This message has been edited by Will-Martin (edited 07-10-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Wanna chop mine next..??
wriott

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wriottSend a Private Message to wriottDirect Link to This Post

I had to get another keyboard because all the drool ruined the other one... awsome job "+" for you. ill be following this thread closedly.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

Wanna chop mine next..??

Well if he were to do another one I would be first in line

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2004 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Well if he were to do another one I would be first in line

Why..??
I'm closer...

Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
I did not get much done on this yesterday, as I am travelling to Houston today and had some other things to take care of. I will update everyone when I return so please do not get upset if I do not post or reply to e-mails/pms.

Thanks,

--Will

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

I did not get much done on this yesterday, as I am travelling to Houston today and had some other things to take care of. I will update everyone when I return so please do not get upset if I do not post or reply to e-mails/pms.

Thanks,

--Will

You better not be picking up Jonathan's Fiero...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2004 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

You better not be picking up Jonathan's Fiero...

That's a good one

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Will - looks like you're definitely taking on a cool project... I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
Wow...

I had thought about this car back when it was for sale. I never thought about something this cool for a t-top.

Looking great! I can't wait to see it in person at the next big Fiero show.

------------------
Wanted to Trade / For Sale:
My 87 SE V6 for your 84-88 4cyl manual fiero.
PM me for details

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
progress..??
PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
So does your head stick through the T-tops when you sit in it now?
Wholf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WholfSend a Private Message to WholfDirect Link to This Post

progress..??

He is still out of town Steve.........
The man travels around like an ole shoe salesman

------------------

Photo Gallery
Harold
308 Rebody on 85GT Chassis
Custom 2000 Firebird Interior
3800SC 3.4 Pulley w/WCF Headers & Reprogrammed PCM
Complete Suspension & Brake Upgrade

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wholf:

He is still out of town Steve.........
The man travels around like an ole shoe salesman

I forgot... Just was excited again looking at this thread...lol

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
Hey its looking real good man!!! But I suspect the hardest part will be fitting all the custom glass. This other guy is doing a chop-top also (DrivenVisions) But I haven't heard from him lately. It would be nice if Archie would sell a Chop-top kit with the glass.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2004 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Keeping this out of the archive's...
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post
Well guys,

Still stuck here in Hitchcock Texas. I should be finishing up this weekend, so then I will be able to get back to the build up. Thank you guys for the interest, this is definately going to be fun.

--Will

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Keeping this out of the archive's...

again...

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

That <--- winky was a clue of what you were really up to eh'..??

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2004 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay