Started on: 11-06-2002 08:34 PM
Replies: 316
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-10-2005 02:32 PM
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Well the engine is going back together. The major changes done to the engine are:

Port intake manifold inlet major and outlet minor.
Port exhaust manifolds.
Port heads.
Change cylinder head CC from 45 to 53 cc to decrease compression ratio.
Polish cylinder head combustion chamber.
Larger injectors.
Rockcrawl upper intake manifold/modified.
Reground cam for high lift/turbo aplication.
Roller rockers still in the works right now.

Here is a pic of the so-far.

Pete

IP: Logged
GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
oooooo thats nice

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 and a gold 87 2M4
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

bushroot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2003 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Pete!
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to drop by the shop and see it close up.

It looks really clean.

Are you going to dyno it?

Arn

HitesFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HitesFieroSend a Private Message to HitesFieroDirect Link to This Post
Got any pics of the heads be moded?

------------------
Don Hites
88 GT, Getrag 5spd, 4.9 v8 with a Delta cam and other heavy mods.
88 Coupe 5spd Duke
(now under restoration)

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
These are some pics that Rockcrawl sent me a while ago, of his heads before he gasket matched, and ported. There is alot of material that you can take off the short side radious in the heads.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2003 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Hey Pete it looks really nice that thing is going to scream I bet you will gain respect with that Caddi 4.9 among the track crowd and SBC gang you should be in the 12 sec club soon.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

4.5 (RSR)Hi Perf. Caddi-V8
In place and running.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Now there is a matchup I'd like to see.

Master Tuner vs HER86GT

I'm willing to be both of you will make the Mustang guys run and give the Vette guys a nightmare.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2003 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
hey Pete, if you could post before and after pics of your heads, it would be most appreciated.

I think Im going the other direction, but Im still interested.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We got some goodies in the mail today. The custom regrind high lift camshaft for a turbo engine and a 1G DSM air/air intercooler which is going to be opened up to 2 1/2 in and out then boxed for water/air. Some pics as usual. Looks like they could not take any more off the cam

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

PBJ

4167 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks: if you could post before and after pics of your heads, it would be most appreciated.

With cylinder head ports there is not much to show you other than the above pic with the gasket showing the extra metal, but now there is no extra metal.
As far as the combustion chamber it comes with a factory finish that would but 50 grit sand paper to shame. I cut it back on the blue line. The red line was taken in too around the spark plug. Around the valves had a nasty shap "fence" all the way around, this has been completly removed and all polished to a shine.

PFF
System Bot
KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
wow I cant wait till see what this thing puts down now.... did you ever chance the turbo from the 6.5 to a smaller one?

Kyle

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2003 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
KRMFiero-No, We are still running a 6.5 turbo. I did however in the last week of driving it, replace the old beat up/worn out 6.5 turbo that we used all summer for a good 6.5 turbo and made a big differnce. Now we are experiencing over boost again . With the engine flowing more air this comming year we should be good.

Pete

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Today, The camshaft is back in the engine, timing chain, frt cover, waterpump all back on. With the regrind camshaft the lifter is now sitting 0.148" lower in lifter bore on the back side of the lobe, which will be taken into account when building up the roller rocker system.

Also, the air/air intercooler was dropped off at the performance shop amd is being boxed for water/air system.

Pete

ThaFieroMunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2003 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThaFieroMunkSend a Private Message to ThaFieroMunkDirect Link to This Post
Man this is really starting to get serious. I can't wait to see this car next summer. Maybe I'll make a trip down to London JUST to see it. Actually when you go out to St. Thomas I will MAKE SURE I am there.
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2003 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I was wondering if you did any reshaping. Guess Im used to seeing import heads . . . theyre a little more exciting

Ive got a 4.1 head on my bench now and it looks like it could be milled a good quarter inch. Also the ports could be opened up a bit.

I was just wondering what the 4.9s looked like cause thats what Ill be building eventually. Its a shame Jon doesnt still have those automotive rebuilder scans on his website. Id like to take a second look at them.

Originally posted by PBJ:

With cylinder head ports there is not much to show you other than the above pic with the gasket showing the extra metal, but now there is no extra metal.
As far as the combustion chamber it comes with a factory finish that would but 50 grit sand paper to shame. I cut it back on the blue line. The red line was taken in too around the spark plug. Around the valves had a nasty shap "fence" all the way around, this has been completly removed and all polished to a shine.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

I was just wondering what the 4.9s looked like cause thats what Ill be building eventually. Its a shame Jon doesnt still have those automotive rebuilder scans on his website. Id like to take a second look at them.

That's the 18 page article entitled "The Evolution of the Caddy", right? I have it all on my hard drive.

You look at TOO, too, eh?

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Probably. . .. its from Automotive Rebuilder, June 1994.

Yeah, I read TOO. Still waiting on the supercharger

Originally posted by Will:

That's the 18 page article entitled "The Evolution of the Caddy", right? I have it all on my hard drive.

You look at TOO, too, eh?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I have a little update. The camshaft is in and am waiting for the roller rockers at this point. The air/air intercooler is still being boxed for water/air. I have a frt mounted heat exchanger/rad to cool the water from i/c, but I have also made this to fill with ICE and water for drag-racing. This way the ice water does not mix with and dilute the cooling fluid of the intercooler system. The fluid will be pumped from a small resivoir throught the water/air intercooler, then up frt to the "rad" into this ice cooler (spare tire well) and back to resivior. I think it will work, it does in my head right now anyways.

It is a 2 gallon container with a heater core mounted within.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Some new pics for anyone following. Last year when tuning at Rockcrawls we removed the restrictive 2 inch exhaust and replaced it with 2 1/2. Well we still had the pipe from the turbo that was made out of 2 inch which was backing up the system. Here is where this pipe goes-yellow.

Here is a pic of the old and the new.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Pete have I got a deal for you. You drop that motor with turbo in for the same price we've been talking and I'll be over tomorrow

------------------

[This message has been edited by linenoise (edited 02-06-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Kerry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2004 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KerrySend a Private Message to KerryDirect Link to This Post

Jon has been kind enough to put the June 94 Automotive Rebuilder Article back up on his web site.

I lost the original copy forwarded to Jon and was afraid it was gone for good...but now it's back for reference.

Kerry

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Some more process pics. The rocker supports are cast steel from an allante, the rockers are modified 4.9 rockers to fit modified 93-95 series 1 3800 roller rocker pedistals.

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Damn you Pete you made me Drool again.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We also have a little splash for the outside to bring its appearance up a bit.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Nice rims Pete, but I like your old ones.

Arn

I Annoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2004 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I AnnoySend a Private Message to I AnnoyDirect Link to This Post
Pete, Beck sure keeps you busy. My car is not out of your garage for even 5 days and she already has you working again.
Love the new wheels.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would update you on the progress of my car. Today Pete came home for lunch and decided to use it to his advantage. My car has officially come out of hibernation! It was nice to see how clean it was after being under a car-cover all winter. Tonight the new modified 4.9 goes in. We had planned to wait until after the baby was born to get it back together but after seeing Vince's (I Annoy) car, I was getting too excited. Being my due date is April 9, I hope we can squeeze getting my car together into our schedule. Besides. . .once my tummy is flat again, I'm gonna want to drive it!!! Oh and don't mind the ugly spare on the front. I sold my rims and had to give one up for show so it has the ugly side to the camera today.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Her86GT

1173 posts
Member since May 2001
Off to the shop.

[This message has been edited by Her86GT (edited 03-26-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I spent a bit of time friday night to put the engine and trans on the cradle, today I installed it to the point of being able to start it and move it under its own power.

With all the valve train changes it did not even have a lifter clatter on first start up before the lifters were pumped up. It sounds quite impressive with such a short exhaust system and a noticable lumpy idle to go with the turbo whine to keep people guessing "whats under the hood"

There is a pic of it smoking after its first couple min run.

I also made some time to mount one of Becks rims.

Alot still to do, the main part left is installing the water to air intercooler system. It was nice to finnally hear it come to life after all the time we have spent on it.

Pete

I Annoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I AnnoySend a Private Message to I AnnoyDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Pete.
Once you have that all perfected on Beck's car, you can start back up on mine
Can't wait to see what those changes will do now.

Vince

------------------
The Rebirth of 72vinman

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2004 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the intercooler back. As you can see it has been modified for water-to-air. I will get some more pics of the install once I get there.

Pete

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
I can't believe I've never seen this thread before! Everything looks AWESOME, keep it coming.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

blizzue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blizzueSend a Private Message to blizzueDirect Link to This Post
As one of the lucky few to have driven a 4.9 Fiero, the idea of a turbocharged one, blows my mind.

The buildup pics thus far have been awesome, you guys are doing an awesome job.

Keep em coming.

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blizzue:

As one of the lucky few to have driven a 4.9 Fiero, the idea of a turbocharged one, blows my mind.

The buildup pics thus far have been awesome, you guys are doing an awesome job.

Keep em coming.

i have driven one of rockcrawls 4.9's and becky took me for a ride in her car last year . and beckys car is very impressive. now it should really kick some a$$. great work pete.

------------------

86 and 87 fiero database www.geocities.com/cwandall/fiero.html

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
intercooler is in

p8ntman442

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for p8ntman442Click Here to visit p8ntman442's HomePageSend a Private Message to p8ntman442Direct Link to This Post
How did you get the heater core in the 2 gallon container? Ship in a bottle kit? or did you grow it from crystals? Sounds like a great idea either way. Good work.
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Well. . .I drove my car for the first time since its new mods. Just around the parking lot of course. Being that I'm the ultimate critic, Pete wants me to fine tune what he's done. I guess the driver has to like the new changes (I don't like a throttle cable out of adjustment). But I love the sound of it. Sounds like a boat glubbing away in the water! Nice lumpy idle. It's gonna be fun driving in the city now - the car doesn't hide its power any more. Before it was quiet and took off like a jet...now it just sounds powerful before it even goes anywhere. This summer is going to be fun - that is as long as the cops don't get me for excessive noise.
stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm going to have to say I'm being converted as I read further. I love boost, the 4.9l is growing on me more and more. Especially since I've been wiring one up lately for a friend. ANY WAY WHO IS JON and where's his site I wanna read the article on the 4.9.

PBJ great work look forward to the million or more E-mails I'll be sending your way in the near future.

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post05-05-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Come on now no one knows?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock