Caddy 4.9 Turbo in the making by Her86GT
Started on: 11-06-2002 08:34 PM
Replies: 316
Last post by: jscott1 on 07-10-2005 02:32 PM
Blade_69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2003 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Direct Link to This Post
PBJ - It seems that you would probably be the foremost expert on this 4.9 swap. I didn't want to take away from this thread so check your pm and I'll explain. Thanks.
IP: Logged
FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Damnit... When I was writing that I knew there was a reason there was no mention of a clutch. I'll make another thread since it doesn't pertain to this anymore.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
It almost looks stock, that heat shield does the trick. I bet you can fool the ill-informed.
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blade_69:

PBJ - It seems that you would probably be the foremost expert on this 4.9 swap.

I don't know about that. Thanks though. I have asked my question of people in the know as well. We are trying something new and having some fun learning in the mean time.

It was when I was 10 years old and motorized my bedroom curtains that I first started modifying stuff.

Pete

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

I don't know about that. Thanks though. I have asked my question of people in the know as well. We are trying something new and having some fun learning in the mean time.

It was when I was 10 years old and motorized my bedroom curtains that I first started modifying stuff.

Pete

You too!!! I did it with a lego motor =).

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2003 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
TTT
FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Has there been any leeway with the 749 ECM, or is that going to be a much later kinda thing?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl is building up a mod'd 4.9 and is going to wire it up for the 749 ecm and tune his. We just plan ran out of time to mess with the 749 anymore while he was up at our place. Should be some time in the spring.

------------------

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
What fuel pump are you using? Are you using an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Were are you drawing the oil for the turbo from? Where did you mount the oil cooler? Sorry for the the questions. Just finishing up pieceing together parts.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2003 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Since the 749 ecm has not been "mastered" yet for the 4.9 we are running with the 730 still. During our road tests with full 5-6 psi boost we did not go lean at all. We did experience heavy spark retard and will deal with that using a MSD 6BTM untill the 749 has been worked out.

so with that said,

We are running a stock V6 fiero fuel pump.

We are using the stock fuel pressure regulator-is still to be tested to know for sure but, I was told stock GM fuel pressure regulators will increase pressure if possitive boost is pressent on vacuum/boost line to regulator.

The oil cooler is mounted where the stock cat would be, our exhaust is behind engine with lower trunk removed.

Oil for turbo feed is from a T fitting at oil pressure sensor location. (at oil filter) Return line is gravity feed through 3/4 inch hose to oil pan above oil level and directed downward in pan.

We expected to change fuel pump, pressure regulator and possibly injectors, so far this is not the case.

Pete

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2003 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
ttt...don't want to lose this one.
PFF
System Bot
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
So we had the car out tonight. . . WOW! Driving this beast is going to be fun! It has so much pull it isn't funny! Even when in fourth gear, I gave it a shot of gas and it spooled right up and gave me tonnes of hp. This car is going to be fun racing
FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post

We are using the stock fuel pressure regulator-is still to be tested to know for sure but, I was told stock GM fuel pressure regulators will increase pressure if possitive boost is pressent on vacuum/boost line to regulator.

Pete

Now that I think about it that makes alot of sense. Positive pressure will just push the washer thingy (sorry really don't know what its called) inside down more which will equal more pressure. Kinda like the old trick of sticking a quarter in there for 2 more psi of fuel pressure.
Good to hear that the car is running strong. Looks like that MSD BTM is working out nicely.

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTT:

Looks like that MSD BTM is working out nicely.

Well actually, the MSD BTM isn't on the car yet. That's what is so surprising but we still need to have it because at high RPM the car will ping.

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2003 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Here's a bit more of the mystery revealed. Apprarently, that stock v6 pump flows the same as a corvette pump at the same pressure. So it will support over 300hp. Also I already know that GM 19# injectors (the 4.9 uses these right?) can support over 300hp from the F-body experience. So maybe its not so much of a surpirse that you've managed to keep alot of things stock. Any news about the MSD BTM?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The car is a bit "tied up" right now so no work has been done lately. I took a picture of the work I have been doing, and building up around the car. Lets see if I figured out how to re size and post a pic without Her86GT doing it for me.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

PBJ

4167 posts
Member since Jan 2001
That not completely true, I did shovel it out and relocate it into the garage yesterday.

Pete

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
LOL!

Lets see if I figured out how to re size and post a pic without Her86GT doing it for me.

[This message has been edited by FieroGTT (edited 02-14-2003).]

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Ok, picking time again. Did you use the MAP that comes with the 730 ECM or the caddy MAP? Is it a 1 BAR or a 2 BAR?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Last summer we ran with the caddy MAP, which is the same as the 730 map sensor (1 bar). For the couple days the car was on the 749 syclone ecm it used the 2 bar map. Now it is back on 1 bar and the 730.

Pete

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Would it screw with the ECM at all if a 2 bar map was used instead of a 1 bar?
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Yes it would, as a quick explanation. A 1 bar map uses .5v to 4.5v to measure engine vacumn. A 2 bar uses the same .5v to 4.5v to measure engine vacumn and pressure. A 2 bar map uses .5v to approx 3v to measure vacumn and 3v to 4.5 to measure the boost side. So if you ran a 2 bar map in a place that is suppose to have a 1 bar all your readings would be too low. A quick fix for you is run two MAP sensors beside eachother a 1 bar for what needs the 1 bar and a 2 bar for what needs a 2 bar.

Like for example, if I wanted to run a sunbird Boost/TACH with a turbo 4.9 using a 730 ecm. I would use a 2 bar map to run the boost/TACH guage and a 1 bar map to feed the ecm.

Pete

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
More Pictures!!!!!! Any and all!!!

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post

Yes it would, as a quick explanation. A 1 bar map uses .5v to 4.5v to measure engine vacumn. A 2 bar uses the same .5v to 4.5v to measure engine vacumn and pressure. A 2 bar map uses .5v to approx 3v to measure vacumn and 3v to 4.5 to measure the boost side. So if you ran a 2 bar map in a place that is suppose to have a 1 bar all your readings would be too low. A quick fix for you is run two MAP sensors beside eachother a 1 bar for what needs the 1 bar and a 2 bar for what needs a 2 bar.

Like for example, if I wanted to run a sunbird Boost/TACH with a turbo 4.9 using a 730 ecm. I would use a 2 bar map to run the boost/TACH guage and a 1 bar map to feed the ecm.

Pete

Well Pete it looks as if you read my mind (or my other posts!) Sounds like a good solution to my boost gauge problem. BTW do you have your MAP in the stock location? Does it matter if the MAP is pre or post TB (as long as its post intercooler)?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I use a sbc TBI without the injectors so my MAP sensor is relocated. You want to mount it as close to after the throttle body as possible. If you mount it pre tbi you will not see the vacumn side on your guage, which will make the guage pretty borring.

Pete

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
Are you using an F-body TBI?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We are using a pick up truck TBI V6 and V8. The same one is used in TBI Astro/Safari vans in late 80's early 90's. The reason for this it for the IAC valve that the 730 ecm requires. Caddy uses a Stepper motor for idle control.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
you use the TBI just with the injectors, etc removed so it represents the caddy tbi just with the different idle control, right?
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2003 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Thats right, but the sbc throttle body bores are slightly smaller than the stock caddy bores in diameter. This was why I wanted to switch back to the caddy ecm. As it turned out though, I was able to use Rockcrawls upper plenum with a single larger bore (has IAC idle control) Throttle body and still keep the 730 ecm (which I/we were very happy with). This worked very well in combination with the added upper plenum volume after the throttle plate. Now that our 4.9 has Forced air induction I can use the smaller sbc tb again with no concerns.

I hope this helped to answer some q's

Pete

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Got this in the mail today I know Pete is going to be right on it when he comes home from work too! I'll post pics of the progress.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

The reason for this it for the IAC valve that the 730 ecm requires. Caddy uses a Stepper motor for idle control.

Technical correction. The standard GM IAC (idle air control) is a bipolar stepper motor. Cadillac uses a linear gear motor and calls it ISC (idle speed control). Don't let it happen again Pete

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
yeah, what he said. The idle thingies are different and are not interchangeable between ecm's

Pete

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post

We are using a pick up truck TBI V6 and V8. The same one is used in TBI Astro/Safari vans in late 80's early 90's. The reason for this it for the IAC valve that the 730 ecm requires. Caddy uses a Stepper motor for idle control.

The v6 and v8 have the same size TBI?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The safari and the 305 tbi's are the same the 350 and up are larger bore, if you are not going turbo I would look into the 350 tb. Rockcrawl and I were just discussing this, he found and was comparing them for us.
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
PBJ,I plan on putting the same trans in my Fiero, can you tell me where I can get a shift kit? I would appreciate any direction. Thank you in advance.

------------------

86 Fiero SE

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2003 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The transmission was done at my work by a transmission tech. So I told him what I wanted and he sorced the parts. Today I asked him about the shift kit and he said that he got it from the local transmission shop. So I don't know what the name is or how to do it. I know enough about a transmission to not screw with it The kit was fairly involved, with drilling out passages, adding check valves, removing check valves, blocking off/changing accumulators and such.

Not to much help here but thats all I know. (this trans job I just paid the bill)

Pete

fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2003 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
I will try my local trans shop, thanks.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Well the 4.9T is going on the road on Monday. So some more information should be known soon.

Pete

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2003 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Man, 5 pages, and I cant wait till there are more, and I dont even own a Fiero.....YET!!

Great work PBJ, & Her86GT_Pics! lol!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2003 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
MOREMOREMORE!!!!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock