Started on: 05-09-2005 02:56 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-10-2005 03:00 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I got a set of SS braided brake lines and found them to be WAY short for the rear of my stock 88GT suspension (they did not come from the Fiero Store) with 12 Vette brakes. The caliper is moved up a bit so the stock lines dont have as far to reach the hard line. I posted a topic on were I could get the correct sized lines, and only got a few replies and they were also saying they were a bit short. So I called the Fiero Store and talked to Shane (real cool dude) and he sent me a set of brake lines for my 88GT with custom rear lines. The stock lines are about 16" and the lines I ordered are 18".
I am VERY happy with the new lines. They seem to be MUCH better than the lines I first got. And in my opinion they fit better. What do you think?

stock

custom Fiero Store SS braided lines

this is what I got. It had all I needed. But you will need to reuse the old banjo bolt.

This is the stock 88 rear brake line next to the first set of SS lines. You can see just how short it is. I dont have a pic of it on the car because it would not even reach the hardline on the car from the caliper.

This is all three lines together to give an idea of their length.

Thanks Fiero Store (Shane)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 05-10-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
cool - is that an option for others to buy?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I dont know? But in my opinion it should be the only option. I have not tried to put on their 16" lines but they have a round end on them that will allow you to index the capiper side of the line so they will have more room. I just dont know if that is a good idea or not, it could rub on the sway bar or rim? But you could ask them?
NYfastback

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYfastbackClick Here to visit NYfastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to NYfastbackDirect Link to This Post
They work good I have one rubbing on my rim for about 5000 miles now and nothing! They do help the braking allot! They are a must have for a Fiero owner. I see allot of people driving around with crack lines. I sometimes forget like others that the cars are getting really old. Driving around with 21 year old rubber lines is not cool.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
They changed suppliers I believe from Earls to Ocelot here a while back. Maybe the new supplier(Ocelot addressed the short issue and made them longer, I wouldnt think the Fiero Store would sell them if they new they where short. I need a set so I might give them a call and make sure I get the longer ones. Thanks for the headsup.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
If you know the lengths of hose you need, order the correct length Russel braided hose (DOT approved may save you an inspection hassel) one straight and one 90° end. www.summitracing.com is cheap and quick. I had posted this info in someone elses' thread, but I didn't know the lengths for the 88's. I had heard the FS ones were a little short in the back before, the previous years are 24 inches long up front and 16 in the rear. 88's needed those couple extra inches.

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 ; 87 Coupe in the driveway. "Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Both the front and back should be 18 inches?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
BTW, the Ocelot braided hoses sold by the Fiero Store are DOT approved.

And also, if you have an '84-87 Fiero with Grand Am brakes, the Ocelot hoses will fit. I know from personal experience.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-09-2005).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:
Both the front and back should be 18 inches?

The fronts are the longer.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2005 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
All 4 of my lines are 24 inches also on my 88.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I agree:

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com/fiero.html
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, OZELOT exhaust, Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

PFF
System Bot
Intel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IntelSend a Private Message to IntelDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know the correct sizes of the fittings?
I have a friend that works in a company that are mainly into industrial hydraulics and he can order fittings and make a set of custom high-grade stainless brakelines for aprox $50 but I don't want to pull the lines from my car only so I can measure them.
I don't want to order those from fierostore cause the shipping and toll/tax would bring the price up to about $170 and I don't need anything else from FS right now.

I checked at www.holley.com/earlsplumbing but that's just confusing!

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Is it just the angle of the photo....

Or is the brake line actually kinking over???

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
They are on the Fierostore webage now the DOT certified Ocelot steel flexhoses.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2005 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

Is it just the angle of the photo.
Or is the brake line actually kinking over???

No, it is the angle. Here is a better pic.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock