Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  "The Hottie" Diaries: First Checkup Ups & Downs--It Runs, Sort Of (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
"The Hottie" Diaries: First Checkup Ups & Downs--It Runs, Sort Of by Miss-Tress007
Started on: 04-03-2005 11:25 PM
Replies: 100
Last post by: Miss-Tress007 on 04-19-2005 01:28 PM
Miss-Tress007
From: New Orleans, LA, USA--now in Greensboro, GA thanks to Hurricane Katrina

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
Okay. Today it officially begins....."The Hottie" is about to be born (or reborn, considering the fact that I'm in essence restoring a car that hasn't been driven in 10 years hehe). I made my first few purchases to get some basic supplies that I thought I'd need to work on the car a few days ago. This afternoon, "The Hottie" was officially checked out by the dude who's now been dubbed my Official Mechanic Mentor. He's going to work on getting the car road-ready for me (tomorrow afternoon is the scheduled time to get everything done) so I can be on my way with my new daily driver, and has even agreed to tutor me along the way and let me help out while he's working on the car! Coolness!

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning and give you guys a little update as to how I got to this point. I found the car--an '88 Coupe automatic (no power anything, so I'll be working on my biceps when I roll down the windows lol) and after going back and forth with the seller and going through some complicated titling issues, was finally able to have the car officially transferred to me and registered last weekend.

I got the insurance; plates and registration on Monday the 28th and arranged with a couple of local guys to come over on Friday to check out the overheating problem and give the car a once-over. Well, my helpers didn't show--one had to work and the other ended up MIA--so I was left rather frustrated and overall a bit put out that I wouldn't have my car running this weekend as planned. As luck would have it though, our next door neighbor's brother is a mechanic who'd seen the car when we brought it over. I caught him on Friday and asked him if he could do the work to fix the overheating problem and check the car out for me. No problem--he'd have to do it on Sunday though because he had a funeral to attend on Saturday. That meant another day of no Fiero, but I figured I could suck it up--after all, it wouldn't necessarily kill me to wait another day, right? <<insert images of an intensely agonizing wait time and feelings that this has got to be the longest 24 hours of my life here>>

Well, to help pass the time, I do some research on the forum and most people say that the overheating problem is probably due to either problems in the hoses, the thermostat or the water pump. So, having to do something proactive, I go out to AutoZone on Friday and purchase a new water pump, thermostat and some other Fiero necessities--just in case. After all, if I don't need them, I can always return them and worst case scenario, I'll already have the parts if he has to change them out.

So this evening he comes over and checks out the car. We fill it with water and check the hoses. Check. Then discover that one of the spark plug wires wasn't connected--which made the car run a whole lot smoother as soon as he hooked it up. (Apparently a 4 cylinder firing on 3 cylinders is a bit too much stress for the engine. hehe) Turns out the water pump works just great--no need to replace it. More good news. We pop in the thermostat and he checks the temperature sensor--the sensor is bad, but the fan works when he disconnects the sensor. He tells me that the car is in great condition and that I got a really good buy. The engine just needs to be cleaned up; fluids changed; spark plugs replaced and a few minor things done and I'm set.

Now I'm on cloud 9! He's had the car running for about 20-25 minutes with no overheating and no sputtering, and I'm already picturing where I'm going to be taking this baby for its first spin. He shuts the car off and then tries to restart it--nothing. The lights come on. The battery is good, but no engine sounds. No turning over. Nothing.

I've now gone from having a cheshire cat grin plastered on my face to a quivering lower lip. What's up with my car? Answer--starter problem. Apparently the overheating problem with the engine kept the starter from overheating to the point where it wouldn't fire, so I never knew about the problem. Whenever the engine would overheat (essentially after 5-10 minutes), it would kill, and we wouldn't be able to start it again until everything cooled off. Which played right into the cycle for the bad starter.

<Sigh> Okay. We can fix this. I just need to return the new water pump that it turns out I didn't need and buy a new starter. We'll return the core tomorrow after he takes off the old one so I can get my deposit back and this baby will be on the road. So now my next question to my newfound mechanic guru---when can you come by and do the updates, fluid changes, etc. to the car? After all, I know little to nothing about these things and as much as I want to learn, I don't want to screw anything up on a car that's basically in good running condition. So he's graciously agreed to come by tomorrow (Monday) afternoon after work to get everything fixed and changed on the car.

To be ready, he gave me a little list of things that I needed to have in order for him to do the general maintenance updates. So I dutitfully went back to AutoZone to drop more funds on my new baby. The guys in the store were extremely helpful and didn't mind my questions. I was armed with a list of items that I'd located online, so at least I had the part numbers. When I told them that I was buying everything for a 1988 Pontiac Fiero--they got really excited and asked me if I could bring the car by once I got it running so they could take a look at it. One of the dudes even walked through the store with me to help me find the items on the list.

So here are pics of my latest acquisitions:

spark plugs, oil filter, air filter and transmission filter kit

transmission fluid, motor oil, gas treatment, engine cleaner and fuel injector treatment (I'm not sure the last time any of this stuff has been changed, so we're just going to do everything and get it over with at once.)

This is a closeup of the fuel injector cleaner that the dude at AutoZone recommended. He said it worked the best out of the other stuff they had--so nothing but the best for "The Hottie" right? hehe

A closeup of the temperature sensor--I was so proud of myself because I looked up the part number and everything online and even checked the manuals to be sure I was getting the right thing! hehe

Okay. This wasn't on the list he gave me, but it's for an experiment that we're going to try in order to repair one of the hinges on the right headlight assembly. There's a part that's broken off where a screw is supposed to go through so the headlights can raise and lower when they're turned on and off. I was thinking if I recreated the part where the screw goes through, then maybe I could temporarily fix it until I could find another headlight assembly and have it replaced. Until then, I wouldn't be able to drive at night, or get my inspection sticker since the headights wouldn't go up and down. (I'm going to tinker with it tonight, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.)

And finally--my new starter!

The dude is going to even let me help out and show me how to change out the spark plugs, fluids, etc. He'll charge the A/C for me too, but I need to have him go with me to get the right coolant. After we go through everything, he's going to take the car over to a friend's garage so we can hook it up and do an engine diagnostic.

To say I'm psyched is a major understatement at this point! I need to get some coveralls and put together the creeper so we'll be ready to work tomorrow and I still need to go to Harbor Freight to get the nitrile gloves. (Jazzman located one for me--turns out there was one about 20 minutes away from me that I didn't even know about. Thanks again, dude!)

Then, to top it all off....this guy comes by to check out the car and tells me that there's one just like it that his neighbor has and is looking to donate. Can life get any better? lol So of course I tell him to check it out for me and let me know if the car is available. Depending on the condition, I may have my second Fiero sooner than I thought! LOL

So there you have it. "The Hottie" has officially been born and is on her way to restored status. The pesky overheating problem has been solved and as soon as we plop in the new starter, she'll be hittin' the road. Of course, I'll keep you guys updated on the progress. hehe

------------------

I may not know alot about cars...but I make a Fiero look good!
"The Hottie" Coming Soon!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2005 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post
Nice, hmmm.... It took me 6 months to get my second fiero, you are way ahead of that pack on that one. But its not a bad thing
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Miss-Tress007:

...Depending on the condition, I may have my second Fiero sooner than I thought! LOL

We did warn you that they were habit forming. Didn't we? Didn't we?!

I'm happy that everything is working out. When I first heard about the overheating problem I was picturing all sorts of stuff. (I'll spare you all of the gory details of my blown head gasket on a brand new engine. Long since resolved.) All the cosmetic stuff can be repaired fairly easily.

It would be great if your 'donor' is another 88. If it's an 87, there are also lots of similar parts. Would even be better if it runs.
Never can have too many parts cars, though.

Best of luck.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
"The Hottie Diaries" LOL...

I love it when a car is saved...

88 Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 FormulaSend a Private Message to 88 FormulaDirect Link to This Post
JB weld works great, just clean the parts well first. I used it on lines carrying warm diesel fuel (return line from injestors.) and it sealed a small crack and lasted for years, was still working when I traded it in.
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
run away.. FAR AWAY from the engine flush...

You may be in for a total rebuild sooner than you think if you use it.

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
Ditto on te engine flush. The Castrol won't leave any sludge in the engine and will eventually clean out any that is already in there over several changes. You don't want to loosen sludge all at once if you do have a buildup. It just gives a real good chance of clogging oil galleries, sort of like a massive blood clot.

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own six."

kooljess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessDirect Link to This Post
I prefer Chevron with Technoline injector cleaner for my Fiero.

It's nice to know that you are taking care of "The Hottie". And not only that, you even get down and dirty learning about your car. Ah, the Fiero mystique!!! Enjoy the ride. Keep it safe out there!!!

Jess

------------------

http://members.cardomain.com/koolflip

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Then, to top it all off....this guy comes by to check out the car and tells me that there's one just like it that his neighbor has and is looking to donate. Can life get any better? lol So of course I tell him to check it out for me and let me know if the car is available. Depending on the condition, I may have my second Fiero sooner than I thought!

As tempting as it may be, if this other car isn't an '88 then you don't want it. Seriously, even if it's free. Some '87 parts will interchange, but '86 and older 4-cylinder Fieros are significantly different from '88.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by datacop:

run away.. FAR AWAY from the engine flush...

You may be in for a total rebuild sooner than you think if you use it.

OMG..... NOOOOO!!!!!!!! RUN FROM THAT CRAP!!!!!!!

that stuff is engine suicide in a bottle... My best friend has a can hanging from his garage ceiling reminding us NEVER to use it after it KILLED his Grand AM GT... wich before flushing ran SUPER WICKED!!! That stuff destroys the oil viscosity wich is why you just IDLE motor with it in... but with any decent engine wear from standard driving... TOO MUCH viscosity loss = bearing loss!!!

------------------
"Raced That, Wrecked Better" ~In Memory Of Jesse Cesek~ 1980-2000
US Armored Cavalry - Fox 2/81 - Death By 120 - 1 Shot 1 Kill

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleDirect Link to This Post
You mentioned changing the spark plugs. Dont forget to put "anti-seize" on the spark plugs threads before installing them. Trust me.....you'll thank yourself later down the road when you have to pull them puppies back out.

Kit (86 GT)

PFF
System Bot
Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
Today has been extremely busy! We installed the new starter (which was an absolute bear) and checked out some other stuff. Turns out I needed a new alternator, which I just picked up. Consulting with my new mechanic mentor now. Post pics and updates in a bit.

--Tress

FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

You mentioned changing the spark plugs. Dont forget to put "anti-seize" on the spark plugs threads before installing them. Trust me.....you'll thank yourself later down the road when you have to pull them puppies back out.

Kit (86 GT)

Ditto on this, plus stay away from any engine flushing!.

Good move using Castrol GTX your baby will love you for it.

PS, you can still get an inspection sticker if you unplug your headlamp motors then crank them up by hand and leave them up till you can afford to fix-em right...............................

------------------

"If you want to blend in, take the bus!"
85GT "Mistress"
87Coupe (Blue)
87GT "Lil Red"
87 Coupe blue t-tops! "Midnight Blue"

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
congrads on getting your 88.ended up with the best year of our little cars. while you are at it replace the gas filter. they can ruin a gas pump when they clogg. when you do your front brakes pop the dust cover off the back of the front hubs and pack wheel berring grease in your front hubs. they will live a lot longer. just remember to put your dust caps back on. if the parts car falls thru let me know what side you need for the head light assembly and as long as you pay for shipping i'll send ya one. if ya need any pointers on a 88 let me know and I'll try to help ya there. been thru mine front to back and did a few small mods to it. -B-

------------------
88 coupe 4.9 Izusu 5-speed Rockcrawl chip. True duels.No A/C .KYB GR-2 on all 4 corners Built to run.

[This message has been edited by 2-tone (edited 04-04-2005).]

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
I have used Rislone with VERY good effect.

Just dump a quart into the crankcase and start the car. Let it run until the fans turn on (or the temp gauge reads hot, whichever comes first--if your fans don't come on, that's a problem!).

Let the engine cool and do an oil change as normal.

This method unstuck the rings on a 1977 MGB which had sat for too long, vastly improving the compression.

As for "injector cleaner", Seafoam is THE BEST, bar none, IMHO. Just dump a can into the tank at the next fill-up after each oil change and it will keep your fuel system happy.

Ed

fph6666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fph6666Click Here to visit fph6666's HomePageSend a Private Message to fph6666Direct Link to This Post
AutoZone sells nitrile gloves also. If they have a commercial sales program, just ask the manager on duty. there are 100 gloves in a box and only about $10 for a box!!
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
The gunk the engine flush loosens up will end up in your oil pan. All well and good if it is in sludge form, and you can flush every bit of it out the oil drain, but if you can't, it is guaranteed to clog up your oil pump inlet screen. And it only takes a few minutes to clog it up. BTDT-on a Fiero 4 cylinder. Never again. You are better off leaving the sludge on the walls of the lifter galley, on top of the head, or anywhere else you find it. Let the additives in good quality modern lubricants do their job, and hopefully most of the stuff will disappear over time and regular oil & filter changes. The crud it can't dissolve probably isn't going to hurt anything where it is.
But, since the engine and car hasn't been run in a long while, do another oil and filter change after a few hundred miles-maybe sooner. A lot of times, sludge will dry up and flake off after prolonged periods of sitting up. These flaked off particles will be washed down into the oil pan and will likely be disolved by operating heat and the detergents in your motor oil. The oil filter will take care of this, but it means the filter will need to be changed sooner than the recommended period or mileage for the 1st few months of operation. This dried up sludge will evidence itself as premature darkening of the oil on your dipstick.
Another thing you an expect to see not long after you begin to drive this car, is a leaky valve cover gasket. 2.5s are notorious for them, even under optimal conditions. The areas most prone to leak on your valve cover are the right rear corner (near the alternator) and the area between #2 and #3 spark plug. To be honest, they could have put a few more bolts in that thing. Poor design IMO.

If you are looking for something to do while you are getting the engine ready, pull the blower motor out of the front compartment, as well as the resistor pack. This is a favorite place for rodents to build nests on a stored Fiero. The blower motor uses athe resistor pack to achieve the lower speed settings on you hvac control panel. They get very hot, and can catch any debris on fire that happens to be in that duct. This is a 'no cost', other than your time, job. About 5 screws altogether and no new parts required. Clean that thing out good.

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
engine flush is a bad idea if you have a really high mile engine.
Ive done it on all my rides with no problums.

Dont run castrol 20w50. If you need a thicker oil run mobil1 15w-50
it will last about 6000 miles

Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
First day as the "mechanic's helper". LOL I had an absolute blast working on the car! (Well, I mainly handed him the tools he asked for and held stuff in place, but hey, it's a beginning. hehe) We started out bright and early this morning--I was up and ready at 7:30am. The guy got here around 9am and we proceeded to pull it out of the yard so we could have a sturdy surface to jack it up. Since the starter was gone, we couldn't start it to drive it out, so I put it in neutral and steered while they pushed the car out of the yard. Even with no juice it was great being behind the wheel!

We got her situated and I broke out the new hydrolic jack and jack stands to get her ready to be worked on. I put together the creeper, but we didn't use it. (It was actually a bit too high for us to fit comfortably under the car. Talk about low rider! lol)

Here's a pic of "The Hottie" all jacked up and getting examined....

The first thing we had to do was to replace the starter of course, but we didn't have the right tools. I needed a 15mm--which was not in the kit I'd originally bought--so I got to go out and get the mechanic's tool set that I'd been eyeing my last trip out. (hehe, more tools ----isn't life grand?! LOL) I also needed to get another "dogbone" (or torque engine mount as it's officially called) to replace the old one.

The engine would shake a bit with the old one since the rubber had cracked and there wasn't any padding left to stabilize the motor. Here's the old one:

And here's the new one I found at AutoZone along with a tube of black weatherstripping for the transmission seal:

I was surprised that AutoZone carried them and stumbled onto it when I did a search on their website just on a hunch. I was sure I'd have to go combing through the junkyards to find one. It was about $30, but I didn't mind buying a new one since it would mean that I'd have a brand new one and wouldn't have to worry about replacing it for awhile.

While I went off to pick up the dogbone and locate the tools that we'd need to replace the starter, the dude changed out the spark plugs and drained the transmission fluid that was in the car. He said it was supposed to be reddish in color, but the stuff he poured out was filthly black. (10 years of sitting up will do that, I guess)

The spark plugs weren't in much better shape either:

(I missed him installing those--but he told me that he'd teach me how to do it myself later.)

--cont.--

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by maryjane:

If you are looking for something to do while you are getting the engine ready, pull the blower motor out of the front compartment, as well as the resistor pack. This is a favorite place for rodents to build nests on a stored Fiero. The blower motor uses athe resistor pack to achieve the lower speed settings on you hvac control panel. They get very hot, and can catch any debris on fire that happens to be in that duct. This is a 'no cost', other than your time, job. About 5 screws altogether and no new parts required. Clean that thing out good.

This is what caught my '84 on fire, so I highly recommend it.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 04-04-2005).]

RickN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
I would agree with forgetting the engine flush products. As stated the stuff your trying to clean out can end up so deep in the oil pan that the oil pump screen can plug up quickly and completely. I too would recommend a good synthetic, letting it clean things up over time.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto

PFF
System Bot
Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
--cont--

So while he's at my house replacing the spark plugs and changing out the fluids, I'm at AutoZone picking up the dogbone and decide to stop by Wal-Mart to check out their tools section.

I luck out and find a mechanic's tool set that has all of the wrenches and sockets we need to replace the starter.

It's even got the hex and allen wrenches and bits! I'm psyched! Plus, I find some blue nitrite ,<oops, nitrile--excuse the mistake, I was tired, lol> gloves, so I'm really cookin' now! (Can you tell that I like tool sets?--mmm.... tools.... lol)

So once I get back, we get started on replacing the starter. But first, we have to remove it. Which is no easy task because the exhaust pipe is blocking it from the bottom, so it can't be lowered to remove it, and of course the opening is too small to just raise it out without trying to twist it somehow to bring it up longwise (vertically). Well, after much mutterings, cursings and attacking the screws from both above and below in contortionist tag-team fashion, we are finally able to loosen the screws and maneuver the old starter out of the car.

It was fil-thy and covered in what appeared to be oil-soaked, burnt leaves and twigs. I don't think it'd been touched at all since the car rolled off the assembly line. Here's the old one:

Once we'd studied how to remove the old one, it was a bit easier to install the new one. I worked from the top to lower and support it and the mechanic dude (my mentor, hehe) maneuvered it into place and started the screws while I held it in place. Here's a pic of me (in my nitrile gloves) holding the starter in place--I think this is when we were trying to get it out.

I even got to connect the starter wires and tighten the screws to complete the install! I had this complete goober grin on my face the entire time and kept breaking out into this little "I'm-working-on-my-fiero-with-my-new--tools-isn't-this-the-coolest-thing" dance throughout the whole process. LOL

So after connecting everything, we try to fire it up---and---nothing. The engine didn't turn over, nothing happened. I was dumbfounded. You mean after almost and hour of wrestling with the darn thing to get it out and then get it back in again--there was nothing happening? Did we go through all of this for nothing and it was actually the battery all along? That would have just been a cruel joke. The universe would not be that heartless, that uncaring to have me go through this on my very first mechanical experience with my new fiero, would it?

Of course, I look to my mechanic mentor for an answer. One that I did not want to hear. We pulled up the Grand Am that I'm renting, locate some jumper cables (which I need to buy a set of, btw), and connect the battery in "The Hottie" to hopefully coax it into firing up. With the cables connected, it starts right up. So after a bit more poking around and testing some theories, the diagnosis is rendered---I need a new alternator.

AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!! You mean I still can't drive it yet????!!!! Nope. Not moving. Not going anywhere and we can't finish the job until we get a new alternator. (Can you say, chi-ching?) Yup, there goes the vacuum sucking up what's left in my wallet again. By this time it's almost 2pm and we've been at this all day. My newfound mechanic has other appointments that he's got to go to---he originally thought he'd be done by 1pm and we'd be riding around town by 2pm--so we decided to pack it in for the day so I could go get the alternator and we could start again tomorrow morning.

After another 30-45 minutes of cleaning up, putting up all of the tools, taking the car down and parking it back in the yard, we left to go locate the alternator. I wasn't too bummed because I had to take in the old starter anyway to get my core charge back. Here's the new alternator waiting to be installed tomorrow morning:

So now we wait. I've got a few hours until we get started again at 8:30am, and I'm supposed to catch up on work that I blew off doing today because I was working on the car, but I'm starting to feel the effects of picking up stuff, screwing stuff in, running around to get tools and then washing the greasy fingerprints off of the car at the end of the day, and I'd like nothing more than to take a nap (or just call it a day and go to bed).

Tomorrow's agenda includes: replacing the alternator (which is going to be a bear to do, since we've got to remove the newly-installed motor mount (dogbone) and who knows what else to get to it); change the oil and oil filter (which I have to get the tool for tomorrow morning); replace the temperature sensor; and check out where the leak from the front is coming from. (There was water leaking from the radiator/hose area when we had the car running while it was jacked up, so we have to check it out tomorrow to make sure all of the hoses are tightened and there's nothing serious going on.) I'm hoping it'll go pretty smoothly (famous last words) 'cause I just want to drive it.

Nobody said this was going to be easy. And I'm actually enjoying poking around under the hood--er, trunk--to find out what makes the car tick. Everyone is being really helpful in explaining things to me and I've even gotten a few passersby checking out the ride and asking questions. The admiration is spreading already and I'm not even on the road yet! hehe

I've already accepted the fact that I'm going to be broke for the next few months---paint job, tires, rims, interior, body work, radio, etc., etc., etc.,--need I go on? hehe LOL But, I'm up to the challenge. I'm going to check out the local paint places in town to get a new paint job later this week once we're riding. I'll need a few body upgrades/repairs, but it should be okay and not cost me an arm and a leg the first time out.

I'll keep you guys posted on my progress and remember to take lots of pics along the way. If today is any indication of what's to come, "The Hottie" Diaries will definitely be anything but boring! LOL

--Tress

[This message has been edited by Miss-Tress007 (edited 04-05-2005).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2005 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I am more impressed with each report. You have managed to replace every component that I replaced over 3 years in the span of a weekend.
helmet1978

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for helmet1978Click Here to visit helmet1978's HomePageSend a Private Message to helmet1978Direct Link to This Post
If theres one thing I've learned working on my Fiero since 1996 its this: Take the amount of time and money you plan on spending and double it. Thats about where you'll end up when everything is up and running

Congratulations on your purchase and if you start getting frustrated just remind yourself that its a 17 year old car....over and over if necessary hehe

------------------
http://www.raceme.cc/helmet/

FieroFanaticus2

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanaticus2Send a Private Message to FieroFanaticus2Direct Link to This Post
If you need something good to clean out the fuel system, next time you fill up on gas add a quart of automatic transmission fluid to it. My girlfriends dad taught me this little trick and it works wonders.

------------------

CommanderKeen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 03:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CommanderKeenSend a Private Message to CommanderKeenDirect Link to This Post
heh, i love play by play Fiero fixin tales.

------------------

Shipping out to active duty in June...wish me luck!

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

--cont--

check out where the leak from the front is coming from. (There was water leaking from the radiator/hose area when we had the car running while it was jacked up, so we have to check it out tomorrow to make sure all of the hoses are tightened and there's nothing serious going on.) I'm hoping it'll go pretty smoothly (famous last words) 'cause I just want to drive it.

--Tress

I will guess the first leak your talking about is oil, check the valve cover bolts/gasket.
The coolant leak around the hoses, if your on the passenger side you should go back and get the water pump. It is not uncommon for the front seal to freeze up on the pump shaft after sitting for an extended period of time. I suspect that when you did get it running the sealing surface of the seal was damaged.
For an oil filter wrench, get the style that fits over the filter end. It looks like a hat and is usually for a 3/8ths drive ratchet.
Sounds like your getting there girl!

(edited to add)
Get a taller oil filter than the books call for, just tell the parts guys that is what you want. Pick up the correct one and then compare the mounting areas of taller filters (I can never remember the right number . . . duh?) You will only need four quarts of oil, I noticed that you bought five so keep one in the car for additional purpose just in case.

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 04-05-2005).]

SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
Regarding the valve cover oil leak....I have made this repair a few times on my '88 using RTV alone (as the manuals instruct), and it would begin leaking again after about a year. The LAST time I did this repair I used a gasket AND RTV and it hasn't leaked in nearly 3 years. As for the coolant leak up front, your AutoZone store will loan you a pressure tester to check the system (They require a $75 deposit - give them cash and get a receipt - if you use a credit card it's just more of a hassle for all concerned when you take it back to get your deposit). The pressure tester will help you find any leaks in the system. If the leak is from the radiator cap/coolant overflow bottle, you may have the wrong radiator cap. The parts catalogs have the wrong part number - Fieros require a non-vented cap. The Ogre covers the radiator cap in his cave..."There is an error in Stant listings, which means all catalogs listing Stant parts share the same error. The correct caps for Fiero are Stant part numbers 11230 or 10230 non-vented caps."

Good Luck, and keep up the good work! Fieros can try your patience, but hang in there!

Larry

------------------

One-owner '88 coupe 189,000 miles, Daily Driver
Sharon's '86 GT, On The Road Again!

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 04-05-2005).]

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post

SC Coupe

987 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:

Get a taller oil filter than the books call for, just tell the parts guys that is what you want. Pick up the correct one and then compare the mounting areas of taller filters (I can never remember the right number . . . duh?) You will only need four quarts of oil, I noticed that you bought five so keep one in the car for additional purpose just in case.

Her car is an '88 - the oil filter is internal, inside the oil pan.

LJ

Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
BTW, thanks to all who've offered tips, suggestions and warnings about the GUNK out. I will heed the warnings of the masses and hide it so it won't end up sidelining my new baby. hehe

Thanks!

Check in with you guys later---hopefully with grand tales of my first spin around the winding roads of New Orleans. (Yup, I've already scoped out the best streets that are condusive to "Fiero-turns" (twisty, turny ones that make you feel like you're in a go-kart). LOL

--Tress

paulcal

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Good luck on tracking down the coolent leak. That's what killed 2 of my motors. Overheating a Fiero is a very bad thing. Turned out on mine it was a hairline crack in the top coolent tank of the radiator. A new radiator fixed that. Hope you don't have to go through it.

Your enthusiasim is extremely refreshing. After working on mine so long it's kind of worn off now that it's my daily driver but I still get kinda excited when I'm doing something new to it.

"The Hottie Diaries".....I love it!

------------------

AIM-jaxpac257
Serenity isn't freedom from the storm; it is peace within the storm.

PFF
System Bot
Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
About to make my 4th trip to AutoZone today.

I changed the alternator myself!

Be back with details and updates later.

--Tress

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
What I do to flush an engine of unknown condition, is new oil filter, new regular oil and substitute a quart of trans fluid for one quart. Only drive it maybe 100 miles or so, no freeway, and drain it. Put new filter, good oil back in. I always change oil after engine is up to operating temp ( be careful not to burn yourself). The larger filter on a V6 that I use is Mobil 1, # 201. I dont know if the 4 uses the same one or not.

Are you Fiero Lisas or Jens lost sister ? Love a girl who wants to work on her own car.

Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
Back from AutoZone for the 6th time today. Have to return the rental car. Post pics and updates when I get back. Get out the popcorn.....

--Tress

Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post

Miss-Tress007

541 posts
Member since Feb 2004
While I'm gone (have to drive out the airport to return the rental), can anyone tell me what this is and what it does? (Yeah, I had to replace that too.)

Thanks in advance.

--Tress

powrmajik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for powrmajikSend a Private Message to powrmajikDirect Link to This Post
That my dear is your EGR valve. Good thing you replaced it...I'm sure it was WAY past due!

------------------

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by powrmajik:

That my dear is your EGR valve. Good thing you replaced it...I'm sure it was WAY past due!

EGR valves wear out? I've never replaced one; should I?

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by powrmajik:

I'm still running on the 17 year old original...I did replace the gasket once..

Indiana_resto_guy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2005 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SC Coupe:

Her car is an '88 - the oil filter is internal, inside the oil pan.

LJ

Good point.
When I talked with her in the past she had her heart set on a V-6.

Miss-Tress007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2005 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Miss-Tress007Send a Private Message to Miss-Tress007Direct Link to This Post
Back from the rental car place......they charged me an extra day because I returned the stupid car at 10pm instead of 4:30pm (the time I originally picked the darn thing up)--which essentially means that I could have kept the darn thing until tomorrow afternoon since they'd already charged me. When I called to extend the rental period I specifically asked the rep what time I should bring it back so I wouldn't be charged any more than my 1 week rental rate. She said I could bring it back at 11pm. I brought it back when I thought was an hour earlier and found out that I in essence wasted the rest of the 18 hours that I'd been charged. Gggrrrr--damn rental companies.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a bit frustrated right now--and extremely tired. I've had a long day working on the car and after 6 trips to AutoZone, I'm beat. Anyway, I come back to take "The Hottie" for a quick spin before calling it a night and as soon as I pull out, I notice that the car is feeling kind of funny when I drive it. Like the front wheels are loose or something. At first I thought it might be the headlights rattling around; then I thought that maybe I hadn't tightened the nuts on the tires. Then we checked behind the tires and found this:

(That part that looks like it's glowing in the dark is white and crumbly.)

It's like this on both sides of the front wheels, but the left side is worse than the right.

So the obvious questions....what is this; how bad is it; how can I get it fixed and do I even want to know how much it's going to cost?

--Tress

(I've got to get some sleep now, but I promise I'll give a full report of today's "Hottie Diary" events tomorrow morning.)

[This message has been edited by Miss-Tress007 (edited 04-06-2005).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock