Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  GTR phase-3: 3800IISC buildup and questions thread...!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

GTR phase-3: 3800IISC buildup and questions thread...! by Fie Ro
Started on: 03-23-2005 03:41 PM
Replies: 29
Last post by: Fie Ro on 04-16-2005 09:02 PM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
...another 'engine buildup' thread??...oh yes! Finally I also gotta play with this toy and got some ideas too...lets see where this ends...
I will have lots of questions during this buildup but I will post juicy pictures in return whenever I can

Heres how I got the engine (quite rare around here): https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/049515.html

I already started removing several parts from the engine for cleaning, painting or sandblasting...also started cleaning up the wiring loom...I'll post all useless crap in this "diary" lol... Hope you enjoy it and I hope I learn from it

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress... body buildup interior buildup
1969 Chevy Suburban

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

At first I got the wrong flywheel:

Now this guy at Autopart is helping out with getting many pieces for this swap...so:
Someone please tell me this is the good one (to use with the getrag after turned down)?!

Some "in progress" pieces for the detailing:

...got this mold to experiment with plexiglass or CF...hmmm

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Man, I love the look of this photo:

& yes, if that is what the flywheel says that it is, then it will work. Turn that critter to .84o and your in like Flynn...

Who is Flynn, and why would you like to be in like him anyhow?

--Allen

[EDIT] Whats going on w/ the Motor cover....you've peeked my interest! [/EDIT]

------------------

[This message has been edited by mcaanda (edited 03-23-2005).]

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
You have much to work up to. I am sure others on this forum, as well as myself have seen your other build thread and were quite impressed so I hope this will be likewise. I have a good idea on what you are doing with that cover and I must say that I haven't seen many people even use the thing. I know why, but it still looks cooler in my eyes. Looks good and I can put money on the fact that you won't dissappoint~!

Have a good one
From an overseas forum member

------------------
Custom Fiero 2M4 - 3800 Swap Coming Soon?....

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
...the engine was in the shade in the garage and the car was in the light.....! another one:

engine looks really black and stealthy in these pictures...hmm makes you think..eh..?!

Enginecover: If it blends in I want to use the "3800seriesIIsupercharged" logo in a modern way because it looks cool and maybe because it is just what it is should be a lot smaller than the original cover though....rather show parts than hide em...and the more I strip the engine, the better it looks

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Man if the engine is so "rare " around there ..then why cover the sweetie up?

Come on Rio, the car is turning out so sweet, don't cover the engine!!!!!
Or do what ever that mind of yours comes up with

Is there enough wires for ya! haha First off you can remove ALL wires for the tranny. two is all that is needed. ( tell ya later)

here dream..................

of course it looks much better now (I just can't reveil yet)

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp., fastest one in Austin,Texas and surrounding areas.........so far

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Yeah lets hope it looks better now....hope you cleaned up wiring and fuellines..
About the enginecover: I'll just have to see what looks good...might just use it somewhere else in the engine bay
I got another 3800ish wireloom because I was missing 3 injector connectors and a coilpack connector....looks like the coilpack has a different connector because it is most likely from a regular 3800...anyway, got almost enough stuff to do the wiring...eliminating...thingie.
I think I'll go with a spec III clutch too...have read the reviews and it looks like the one to go with...saw your discount thread too revin
Thinking of deleting the EGR, what is the best way of plugging the intake and (stock) manifolds egr outlet....?
With the original 3800 dogbone-engine bracket relocated to the "fiero oriented" location on the rear right (head)..: do you need a custom dogbone or is the fiero V6 dogbone a drop-in?
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
dogbone--If you call Loyde of fast fieros he will sell ya what you need haha ( I just made my own, VERY easy, but no way like his or anybody elses) He can delete the odbII stuff and raise the rev limiter (5500 ish rpm stock) I think a alum. "plate can be easily made to cover the hole. Just call him ( he will talk forever so get a soft chair.) LOL VERY helpful and informative<?

Yep the clutch came in and all is well from that company by me!

MOST 3800 stuff won't work with the 3800SC ( injectors wires should)

P.S. I have mine out for another week if you need a pic of how something was done....

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 03-24-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
No doubt I will call Loyde some day..right now I am collecting general info and parts first...I dont want to ask him all the stupid questions right now...I have this thread for that
I have an obdII ecm so that will need some reprogramming too...
Please take many pictures of your engine when its out...pictures are always good.
mcaanda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:
Thinking of deleting the EGR, what is the best way of plugging the intake and (stock) manifolds egr outlet....?

I’m not really sure about the exhaust manifold side of the EGR request, but I asked the same thing here a while ago on the intake manifold, and this is what I ended up doing after talking to them for a while. It's no joke, its common practice, and if I didn’t see it myself I'd have never believed it.

This is on my 38oo SC here:

If you guys aint got one of those there for your EGR plate in the Netherlands let me know and I can send one out to ya!

With the original 3800 dog bone-engine bracket relocated to the "Fiero oriented" location on the rear right (head)..: do you need a custom dog bone or is the fiero V6 dog bone a drop-in?

Here is the head mount that I used w/ the PT # on there for ya. I’m not sure if this is what you are using, or what you have but being that I have a SSEi motor, I was forced to purchase this:

Also, this is w/ it installed and a custom Dog Bone mount that I fab'd up. Sorry for the really bad angle and resolution, but this is the only one that I can find that I had with both installed.
( I looked though all my files, and I really need to get some of that installed. )

Hope that helps, and like you, I have plans for the motor cover. As soon as I get the motor back into the car, that is next on the "chopping block."

--Allen

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
your egr "plug"....lol...I had to look for a while before I saw it...how much did it cost? Did you check if the person/president on the coin had a normal death...?...you might have a vacuum leak if its not..

this is the stock gtp mount mounted to the other head...looks a little like yours but it has a different casting...

....has anyone done plumbing directly to the waterpump and intake ?
..Allen, thanks for your input! ...*adding custom dogbone to the -ever growing- shoppinglist.... ...thanks man.

PFF
System Bot
dizmon_85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dizmon_85GTSend a Private Message to dizmon_85GTDirect Link to This Post

....has anyone done plumbing directly to the waterpump and intake ?
..Allen, thanks for your input! ...*adding custom dogbone to the -ever growing- shoppinglist.... ...thanks man.

Here's what darthfiero did to mine. I know he did some other plumbing with a "T" pipe to relieve the pressure on the system. You might want to quiz him on what he did.

Darth's notes- "I needed to figure out a way to get the heater hoses plumbed to the engine. The solution was a 3/4" pipe thread tap.

Notice the coolant fill point will get covered up by the dog-bone bolt access cover. Also built in a w/p bypass system into the heater hoses using some Tee's that will prevent excess pressure from building up in the heater core circuit during high RPM operations when the thermostat is closed. As far as the radiator hoses, for the coolant outlet (thermostat) to pipe I used Dayco hose part number: 71075. For the pipe to water pump I used Autozone brand hose p/n: XL-1004. NOTE: Some trimming will be required.

[This message has been edited by dizmon_85GT (edited 03-25-2005).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
yeah you have the right dogbone bracket ! you will need to cut off about a1/8" to a 1/4" off the bottom and it will line up with the stock bone( at least a V6 88) Just make some sort of alt bracket the other side. Unless wait...You are going to want A/C aren't ya
Heh, you "ladies" I thought you wanted manly "speed"
eh see www.fastfieros.com and buy one of his. seems to working very well for everyone.

Also what is the vision for this engine??? cam? lifters? IC? I tell ya, it is easier to do stuff now than pulling the cradle all the time(even though you get better each time)

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
dizmon_85GT thanks, that will help! At least it can be done that way...

Originally posted by revin:
yeah you have the right dogbone bracket ! you will need to cut off about a1/8" to a 1/4" off the bottom and it will line up with the stock bone( at least a V6 88) Just make some sort of alt bracket the other side. Unless wait...You are going to want A/C aren't ya

No I will ditch the AC and plan to mount the alternator in that location.....the 3-piece combo bracket doesnt look very appealing to me

Originally posted by revin:
Also what is the vision for this engine??? cam? lifters? IC? I tell ya, it is easier to do stuff now than pulling the cradle all the time(even though you get better each time)

Yeah this is the dilemma......It makes sense to get the engine in and running first before doing all the mods...It makes sense to do the mods before getting the engine in... I am thinking about IC and pully but have to decide WHEN to do it....Anyway making it a clean install is highest on the list right now

Now some bad news maybe...: found some oil leaking at the SC pully....the pully itself has a little play/click when turning to the opposite direction...could it be the coupler is shot or something worse?? Guess I am looking at a rebuild of the SC now.....

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
I often get curious about reusing the parts you really want to throw away...so
..the 3800's plastic enginecover is quite ugly, so it must be easy to make it look better.. Started this morning to make a final part and pulled it out tonight because I couldnt wait any longer! Just from the mold and not cleaned yet... My first CF piece:

The pictures dont do justice to the 3D effect...will tryout some other ideas too..

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 03-26-2005).]

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Now some bad news maybe...: found some oil leaking at the SC pully....the pully itself has a little play/click when turning to the opposite direction...could it be the coupler is shot or something worse?? Guess I am looking at a rebuild of the SC now.....

"Seepage" from the supercharger snout is considered "normal" as for the noise you will hear a little "click click" which is just lash between the rotors, BUT I would pull the snout off anyhow and install a new coupler http://www.zzperformance.com/products.php?id=106 cheap insurance

Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm I don't know... I kind of like the 3 piece bracket, but maybe I'm just a little biased

A few questions for ya... I may have missed it, or I may just be really new to CF work.... but did you vacuum bag the original cover when you made the mold? What about the actual cf piece? Was that bagged?

I'm stunned by how well that writing came out in both the mold and the part, very impressive.

I had a couple of questions on your fiberglass techniques... I'm going to be ordering all my materials and equipment to start making molds and producing parts. Is there a method to how you make your molds so precise? What kind of wax, releasing agent, gel coat system do you go through when prepping a plug to make the mold off of? Do you buy your supplies locally or have then shipped overseas? Is there a place you would suggest for getting supplies and materials? I have browsed Fiberglast a few times and will probably end up getting my stuff from there unless you have a better supplier

PM me the fiber glassing/molding info if you would like so that I don’t take your thread off topic too far.

Keep up the good work, things are looking great

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:
"Seepage" from the supercharger snout is considered "normal" as for the noise you will hear a little "click click" which is just lash between the rotors, BUT I would pull the snout off anyhow and install a new coupler http://www.zzperformance.com/products.php?id=106 cheap insurance

I think I'll do that...it is leaking too much for my taste.....Cheap insurance? I dunno, for replacing the coupler I need the special puller right? When I have the puller I can buy a smaller pully too,..and then.......see what happens?

mcaanda

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2005 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
2 PM's sent.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Fie Ro
Did you happen to PM me? If so I didnt get it.
Thanks
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Fie Ro
Did you happen to PM me? If so I didnt get it.
Thanks

I know..you still have to get an answer from me...later today...sorry, busy right now.
....eh 1 more in progress pic:

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
What about a cool CF cover for the 2.8l V6?

I know..you still have to get an answer from me...later today...sorry, busy right now.
....eh 1 more in progress pic:

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nebiros88:

Nebiros: thats a real nice engine! Would like mine ending up like that..

This is my first CF piece, no vacuum bag used....used some spraycan releasewax for the first time and that worked great. Normally I use meguiars mold release wax but I always have problems to get a good mold done. Most of the stuff I get locally, the shop has its own brand www.polyservice.nl
Best info like you said is on fiberglast.com . For the final CF part I first filled the lettering with resin and then the CF straight over that...

....I had a few pm's with Mcaanda exchanging some cover ideas which made me do these photoshop tryouts, thanks for the input Allen :

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Any one of those covers would look awesome, nice photoshop work.
Nebiros88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nebiros88Click Here to visit Nebiros88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Nebiros88Direct Link to This Post
Fie Ro,
Thanks for the kind words about my motor swap, Loyde did an awesome job on it. Once I get the spare cash built up the motor will really look nice. I plan to polish the supercharger, buy some mirra chrome paint, and chrome the low mount alt bracket, the 3 lines on the valve covers, possibly paint the fuel rails, figure out what needs to be done to delete the second SS line that runs over the supercharger, and possibly recover the wires.... the red covers didn't give it the look I thought it would when I requested the red to be used.

This cover looks amazing, keep up the great work.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Got bored today so I pulled the supercharger.

...yup the coupler needs replacing, theres play on both the gears side and the pulley shaft side...and the oil smells worse than my socks after a week of snowboarding! ......I smelled the leaky supercharger before I saw it.

I recalled someone using the chrome 2.8V6 upper plenum bolts for mounting the snout to the SC housing...did a check:
(shhhh dont tell my fiero )

that will work! Fierostore sells new sets of these bolts...! gotta have...

one idea of routing a short belt setup..

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2005 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
The green line will not work.look at the water pump... you need to use 50% of the pulley or more
run alt on it's own belt

add one more pulley and there you go !
I will post pic later

[This message has been edited by revin (edited 04-13-2005).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
sorry, confusing pic...for some . the blue belt runs the WP and alternator, the green belt runs in front of it (from the second crank pully) and only runs the SC...this idea might be history anyway because it looks like the front belt will still rub the stock WP pulley with this setup....

So far tearing down this stock gtp engine showed some minor upgrades already previously done: low temp thermostat (160F) and 1 heatrange colder sparkplugs (NGK v-power TR55)....couldnt find intercooler or smaller pulley..

I didnt plan to do porting and smoothing but I am surprised to see so many rough parts on this nice engine...
Pulling the exhaust manifolds shows they could benefit from some work, also the exhaust ports on the heads:

the lower (yellow) edge seems easiest to smooth but looking at the curve of the flow, smoothing the top (red) should work out much better..! Is that right?

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Exhaust manifolds. Main difference: front is cast / rear is welded. From the head-side the front manifold looks it needs most of the work:

The rear manifold has its issues too:

Tried checking their purpose but it just looks like it is excess of straight cut mass production tubing....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock