Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Bonding A.B.S. plastic material to metal? Or to Fiberglass?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Bonding A.B.S. plastic material to metal? Or to Fiberglass? by HighPowered
Started on: 03-04-2005 10:29 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: johnnyride on 03-07-2005 07:13 PM
HighPowered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-04-2005 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HighPoweredSend a Private Message to HighPoweredDirect Link to This Post
I know theres probably a few experienced folks on here who can lead me in the right direction. I'd like to know of a compound/meterial to use to bond A.B.S. to a metal surface like a car door/hood? And also how I'd go about bonding to a fiberglass surface? It also needs to be a weather resistant type material as it will be in the weather. Need to have a hard finish sandable and paintable.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by HighPowered (edited 03-04-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Bump...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to say, ABS plastic dont bond well to anything other than itself with special glue (similar to plastic plumbing pipe adhesive). If your determined to try, id say your best possiblity it SMC Bonding Adhesive. Its made to bond parts of Corvettes and other SMC car components together. Ive got an ABS scoop on one of my cars and just made sure the edges were trimmed nice and neat and just put it on, no molding it in for it to crack back out in a year or two.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Talk to Aralidite. They used to make a glue called KP36. I think it is out of production but I am sure they have something similar that is flexible, sandable and paintable. A good example of its strength would be an old boss of mine used it to bond his fibreglass flares onto his race car. He rolled the car once and the flares ripped off through the fibreglass. Every piece glued to the car stayed glued even when the metal was all bent.

------------------

YELLOWFIERO88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YELLOWFIERO88Click Here to visit YELLOWFIERO88's HomePageSend a Private Message to YELLOWFIERO88Direct Link to This Post
Fusor and 3-M makes products that will do what you want. Check your local profesional body paint store.
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I am not sure what should be used, but there has to be something because GM used ABS plastic on the underside of the roof skins on the Fiero to mount a couple bolts in the front corners. It is bonded to the SMC with something.

Chris

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2005 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
There are several products that do what you need. I know that a vette we worked on used the stuff ALOT. It uses an adhesive to bond the plastic inner tub to the metal frame rails. REAL serious stuff. I can't remember (since i am the painter not the body man) where we got it. I think it was from FUSOR. Thats what we use for plastic repairs and attaching roof skins and door skins on cars.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you guys have been using something called ' green snot ' used a lot in the RV industry for bonding things like latches to the inside of motor home body panels. We even had that occasionally come apart. I did a lot of work doing RV body repair just before I moved into my current building.
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Look up FUSOR, they will have what you need. Ask them for the part number you need cause they have so many different products. Look up LORD FUSOR, think thats what the company is called. Nevermind heres the link: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/049748.html#lastpost

ANd you guys that are bonding fiberglass cowls and hood scoops with fiberglass really need to look at this stuff. TEN times easier to work with and sand. Plus it is MADE to fuse SMC with fiberglass and or metal. And when done CORRECTLY will not crack. You HAVE to FOLLOW directions exactly. I know, I am a body man and took the ICAR class for certification with this stuff.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post
Normally when ABS plastic parts are installed on metal surfaces, a trim / emblem glue as well as double sided tape are used. It holds fairly well, and it is water resistant. Just another thought!

------------------
Custom Fiero 2M4 - 3800 Swap Coming Soon?....

HighPowered

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HighPoweredSend a Private Message to HighPoweredDirect Link to This Post
No I dont want to tape it on. I want to be able to permantly bond it onto a metal surface and onto a metal surface. I want to avoid that generic aftermarket stick on body parts by molding them in seamlessly, effectively making a 1 piece body panel when finished.

Thanks for the info to the rest.

PFF
System Bot
johnnyride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2005 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnnyrideSend a Private Message to johnnyrideDirect Link to This Post
Try visiting www.geadvancedmaterials.com Go to the Plastics site. They make CYCOLAC ABS plastic. They have data sheets and trouble shooting and all sorts of technical info there. I work for them, but I'm not an engineer. If you can't find the info you want, I'll ask one of out tech guys on Monday. But double stick 3M VHB (Very High Bond) Tape is usually recommended. It will stick better than you think and longer than you think and be much easier to install and remove if you want. Check out the site and see what you can find, but I'll check with a techie on Monday.
HighPowered

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2005 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HighPoweredSend a Private Message to HighPoweredDirect Link to This Post
I don't want to tape it on. I want to mold/smooth/bond it to the surface permantly.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2005 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Why not just make your own with glass and SMC filler, then you wont have much problem.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I've been using a lot of this epoxy I got at AutoZone. Seems to be working pretty good so far ...

johnnyride

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2005 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnnyrideSend a Private Message to johnnyrideDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HighPowered:

I don't want to tape it on. I want to mold/smooth/bond it to the surface permantly.

OK, I talked to my buddy at work. He says LocTite will have the type of "mix" you are looking for. If you can't find it, he says go to their website and call customer service, tell them what you want and someone will give you the best thing to use.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock