Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Score! found 3800IISC..... in Europe! (pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Score! found 3800IISC..... in Europe! (pics) by Fie Ro
Started on: 02-23-2005 09:25 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: Fie Ro on 03-24-2005 05:45 PM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

I hope it will be in my fiero later this year!

A BIG thank you goes to Ducattiman for finding this engine.....

Heres the donor, the GTP came from Germany..

------------------

1987 Fiero concept GTR in progress... body buildup interior buildup
1969 Chevy Suburban

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
The wiring loom is a bit cut but that doesnt have to be a big problem

A few small items I took with me already today:

This guy gave me a nice price because he likes the project and if I need more parts hes willing to offer them for free so that looks good to me! He will also get me a 3800 camaro flywheel and an oilfilter adapter as I understand this oilfilter adapter will interfere with the enginemount in a fiero....

I always thought the 3800 exhaust flange would be a nice place to mount a turbo...lol who knows...
I showed him a print of the WCF oilfilter adapter and he said it just looks like one from a Park Avenue...will get that one too.
I brought my enginestand so they can mount the engine before delivering it....one of these days....woohoo!

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 02-23-2005).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
very nice - congrats on finding an engine
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
very cool!

------------------

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
No that IS the oil filter you want! it ! Well it fits in my 88. now for earlier years...not sure but check with darth or fastfieros.

They say to get both ends of the exhaust flanges ( see lildevils thread for useing the stock (GTP) exhaust man.)

Oh and CONGRATS!!!!!

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp., fastest one in Austin,Texas and surrounding areas.........so far

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
These engines are soo hard to find around here and IF so they are at ridiculous prices most of the time....
This is from WCF:
http://www.westcoastfiero.com/engine_hardware_90/oil_filter_adapter.html
They dont talk about years or auto/manual.....oh well looks like I can pick any of the 2 options this time

-edit: or there are "3" options?! and are the WCF/GTP/Park Avenue already already different from other 3800's...?-

The engine will be put in a 87GT with the 5speed getrag. will a LSD work better or worse in "protecting" the getrag's differential? Which clutch works the best? I will have a lot more of questions in the future hehe

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 02-23-2005).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
spec III clutch with Getrag combo is the ticket!

And the only "real way" of protection would be to have the tranny total rebuild, cyro the gears ( see tina's thread) The LSD would just be the iccing on the cake. Talk to loyde at fastfieros( call him from website #) very helpful ! Darth is as well.

Also the wires don't matter since you will have to cut some and re-splice them anyway. Hopefully you have the all the pin side of those wires...then your ok! (ps for manual tranny...take out all tranny assocated wires except for the park and drive wires!)

Have loyde re-program the odbII for no emissions and that will be even fewer wires to deal with!
Side note...I have never had my pcm re-programed and it runs very well !

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
thanks Revin! Loyde and Darth are "The" masters on the 3800 swaps from what ive seen in several threads...! I might need their help sometime, no doubt...The guy who sold me the engine also nows someone around here who "might" be able to reprogram it..hopefully. What about using an OBD1 ecm, does that work and make it easier? Chips are easier to send across the ocean
Same thoughts here on the wiring, will have to splice it anyway but its good to have all the connectors and colored wires to start with Now its time to collect all the 3800 tech articles I printed over the years
revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
there will be two sides to that fence of odbI and odbII.
MY $$ I would go with the ODBII .........BUT that is all I have ever used and I like it well enough. I think that everyone wanted to use the ODBI because noone could re-program the II yet at the time.
Loyde AND now Darth re-program the ODBII but only darth does the chip in the odbI

Like I said you can get away with NO RE-PROGRAMING of the ODBII for now if you wanted to ( I still am)

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
ok thanks again, I will leave the nasty stuff for later..lol...will start with the easy stuff first when its here...that is getting the hands dirty and the engine clean ...have to think about some original detailing too to keep it interesting and a bit "different" ....I will take the time to get it right, first goal is to get the body finished for painting this spring, in the meantime I can switch between interior buildup and engine dressup......a hobby like this should be fun!
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

have to think about some original detailing too to keep it interesting and a bit "different"

I am waiting for a delivery to come for my own 3800sc motor that fits into that category and no one in the USA has

------------------

PFF
System Bot
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
lmao way to go buddy...take that plunge and do that swap,,hmm just thinking here,,how hard parts to come by over here in holland i should really stop giving my good secrets away

eh let me know when ur getting at it...i want to drop in and check it out,,and i am really die'ng for my COFFEE

to tell u the truth i am really happy for u,,,,so when it is done i can come over and keep rev'ng the crap out of it,, because i really love that sound of the blower whine

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

lmao way to go buddy...take that plunge and do that swap,,hmm just thinking here,,how hard parts to come by over here in holland i should really stop giving my good secrets away

eh let me know when ur getting at it...i want to drop in and check it out,,and i am really die'ng for my COFFEE

to tell u the truth i am really happy for u,,,,so when it is done i can come over and keep rev'ng the crap out of it,, because i really love that sound of the blower whine

YES I'll get you any coffee you want.....!
NO youre not allowed to rev the crap out of it, especially after you having coffee ...lol

unless you help to make it faster
I will help to mod your lambo kit when you get to it.. deal? ... ..lol

I'll shoot a pm or email when its here, thanks buddy

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2005 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by AusFiero:
I am waiting for a delivery to come for my own 3800sc motor that fits into that category and no one in the USA has

Is that from the Holden aftermarket?

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Is that from the Holden aftermarket?

Yep, sure is. Australian aftermarket company making Holden 3800 items. More to come when mine arrive and I have pretty pictures.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:
spec III clutch with Getrag combo is the ticket!

Do you have more info like partnumber etc...? looks like the spec III has a good reputation....If I recall right the camaro flywheel has to be machined to 0,840 inch...other issues that may occur?... I have never replaced a clutch before

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
hehe i must rev the engine.....

hehe i must rev the engine

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ducattiman:

hehe i must rev the engine.....

hehe i must rev the engine

LOL I bet YOU will be a better engine than the SC ! ...fuelling up with some fresh strong coffee...and you go !!
I hope it will be delivered before sunday.....waiting for a call from Wout
You'll be the first to know when its here so you can rev the crap out of it....

-edit: the engine will be mounted in a new lightweight spaceframe...you'll love to drive it

(going longitudal too..and 2.0 inch wheels...)

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 02-24-2005).]

revin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
here is a "belt route" to check out. Also note the oil filter mount.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/060159.html

As far as a part # I will have to get back to ya ......

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp., fastest one in Austin,Texas and surrounding areas.........so far

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
hmm that space frame really looks like lotus style,, i dont think it will hold to much power..i say it will twist to either side when under torque..oh man and those wheels will spin like mad cows in heat
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

ducattiman

674 posts
Member since Mar 2003
oh by the way what is that trans on the bottom right hand side?
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
revin, thanks again.....saw that thread earlier today already... right click save as.. So I assume putting the alternator in the stock location it will hit the decklid or is there some modification you can do....I didnt knew the GTP already has the right oilfilter adaptor, because the one on WCF's website shows a different design. btw I think I'll go without AC. Can I just use the 3800 alternator with any setup?

Duc:yeah that trans looks kinda funky, sorry I dont know what it is.......I also sneaked around some getrag manual transmissions, found some nice fat and strong looking unit but the bellhousing didnt even looked close, it was for a chrysler or something...

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001
a better pic...you tell me...what is it..
ricreatr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricreatrSend a Private Message to ricreatrDirect Link to This Post
thats the adapter im running with a five speed.
i have a centerforce dual friction (no weights) clutch. it GRABS. two years on it.

you are gunnna have FUN!

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2005 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Great find, am excitied for ya!!!!!!! I love your rear facsia too!! What's this about longitudinal??

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2005 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
It will be longitudal on the enginestand...lol.....transverse in the fiero.....unless Ducattiman snatches it, then it will be longitudal
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Its here!

I bet the first thing everbody does is removing the plastic engine cover..

Theres a lot of stuff to remove/relocate/mod to make it clean looking....in fact the engine itself is quite clean, theres a bit of corrosion but the block shows no grease and dirt at all.

Now the "1995" rings an alarmbell

Darn, its a 6 bolt flywheel and not the 8 bolt what I need! I hope I can get it replaced for the right one (96 up)...

PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post
fklucznik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2005 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fklucznikClick Here to visit fklucznik's HomePageSend a Private Message to fklucznikDirect Link to This Post
I think this a very cool project and will follow the build... Curious about the availability of these motors in the states I did a search at http://car-part.com and found there are over 2000 of these babies listed in a single database. Some of them w/ only 1k miles on them for around $1,500 USD. It may be a good source for pts for you in the future. Check out the site when you get a chance.

Frank

Rborecky

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-23-2005 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RboreckyClick Here to visit Rborecky's HomePageSend a Private Message to RboreckyDirect Link to This Post
All of your pulleys are good as you have the one I had to hunt down on the right for under the coil pack block. It will clear the hinge if you put a shock type set up on it. If you leave the stock bar springs in then it may come close if you have it adjusted up like mine was for more strength on the hood. The left side will be up to you on how the alternator will go. There are 3 ways I have seen so far and I went with this one made from three parts. One is the Fiero alternator bracket cut to line up with the SC tensioner with the water jackets in it and the Dog Bone of the rear of your motor chopped to fit. There are a few keys to getting this one right as Loyde walked me thru and I can help if wanted down the road. The picture below is before the dog bone was welded on the other day. You will have to possible come up with a different pulley for the alternator also to get it lined up. My Fiero was to large on the back side pushing it out a bit to far so I got a pulley from a Sunbird alt. Great find and take it slow so you don't get aggravated. I have been going slow and it has worked out great so far. Also you will have to dent the trunk in a bit if you go my route and use the Fiero alternator. I actually cut it out a hair and welded it up so I don't have to even think about it rubbing. Rick B

------------------
President of Cleveland Fieros
www.clevelandfieros.com

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2005 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PURPLE REIGN:
Well if you need any other help, just let me know too
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/030389.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040806.html

Read those already ! ...might put your swap mounts on my -ever growing- shoppinglist.

Rborecky: I have seen several pictures of the 3 piece construction...now I cant even weld but it just doesnt look like it is very strong from a "simple soul's" view..?..but appearantly it does work. Now I wont use an ac with this engine so I figured to mount the 3800's alternator in the ac compressor area, and switch the 3800dogbone mount to the right rear..stock fiero location...
...just afraid of getting things welded I guess
..also I have been wondering about all these idler/tensioner pullies...adding weight and drag.. I just want a simple belt setup between 1crank-2sc-3waterpump-4alternator....

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock