Started on: 02-20-2005 05:39 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 02-22-2005 07:59 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Consumer Report Portable Garage

Portable car garage
Model 42211
Harbor Freight

Assembly instructions were not easy to read.
But the polls and bottom rails were heavy enough.
The tarps for the front and back were cut to size and fit fine.
The zipper in the front door will be more of an annoyance than just taking loose the side and sliding it all the way to one side.
The top tarp was the worse, it was too short on the sides and overlapped the front and back too much.
I just put the front flush and let the back hang over and use some nylon rope to draw it together.
The sides don’t go down far enough but I guess it will keep from getting mold build up because of the dirt floor.
Overall dimensions: 16 ft. 9''L x 8 ft. 10''W x 7ft. 1/2''H
Weight: 173 lbs.
The Fiero fits with about a foot all the way around, not tight but you wont be working on your car in it unless it is with the front door open.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=42211

When the tarp falls apart I will probably replace it with tin and move it to the back yard.
The tubing is heavy enough that I can speed screw tin panels to it and then put some straps on the outside to help with the wind.
I’m happy with it, it was a nice present from my wife and came in handy so the neighbors don’t turn me in for having all the disable cars in the yard.

------------------
Jake
Red 1986 GT 5 Speed Soon to be a V8
Gold1986 SE 4 Speed Wrecked
Visit my Fiero Page

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 02-20-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Tempting.....but if I put that contraption up in El Paso during the springtime, it would be in Dallas the following day. I seriously doubt it would withstand the 50+ MPH winds we get here.

Sure would be nice to have an extra shady place to work on the car though. And I like your tin idea......hmmmm.....now the wheels are turning. Nice of the wife to buy it for you.

Scott-Wa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
If you have a Costco... the ones they sell for $164 are pretty nice and as long as you tie the damn thing down somehow it will last you a long time. I suggest using those concrete footing blocks with the metal post cast in, then using those el cheapo Harbor Freight 1" x12" straps that come in sets of 4. They are on sale right now for something like $6 for a package of 4 straps. Two packages of those where you loop over the horizontal poles on each side and strap to the concrete blocks and it isn't going anywhere in the wind. I've had one since summer of 2001 and it's doing fine except where the first fall a windstorm blew it into my fruit trees... thus the precautionary tale :-)

Oh yeah, I think the Costco ones look a little less likely to get neighbors calling code enforcement.

[This message has been edited by Scott-Wa (edited 02-20-2005).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
as long as its vented it should not catch too much wind where its at.
I will probably get some of the shed anchors and use them to keep it held down.
One thing that is bothering me is where the poles connect they just slide in, but a short speed screw will fix that or a spot of weld
I just have to keep it removable should anyone say anything about it.
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I’m happy with it, it was a nice present from my wife and came in handy so the neighbors don’t turn me in for having all the disable cars in the yard.

Jake, that was very nice of your wife. Sounds like your a lucky man in that regards...
Now please don't give me a (neg) for this... but your last photo of your poor car reminded me of something...

BTW, hows your head?... all better I hope. I removed those hooks when I had my headliner redone. Never liked the looks, now there is a much better reason too

Gotta love Harbor Freight!

------------------
REMEMBER: stoplights synch'd for 35mph are also synch'd for 70mph.
(and for 140mph, now that I think about it.)

2.8-4spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.8-4spdSend a Private Message to 2.8-4spdDirect Link to This Post
Hello Jake

I have the same "Garage Tent" As my son calls it, wich I am very pleased with. Looking at your pictures I think you may have the canvas on wrong. The groumet holes should be down by the base, then the "ball bounges" go through those and around the bars on the base. In your one picture it looks like the sides of the canvas with the rope in it is by the base. The front and back edge of the canvas has the rope in it, this goes over the top. Then when you pull the rope tite, it pulls the canvas snug over the front and back rail. Your right about the polls, I bought some self taping screws and put one in each bar. The only other thing I did was make a base from presure treated 2x4 to mount the base on. Then we used rebar to steak it into the ground. If this does not fix it i would take it back because the canvas has been cut wrong. It should look like it does on there web site,

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.8-4spd:

Hello Jake

I have the same "Garage Tent" As my son calls it, wich I am very pleased with. Looking at your pictures I think you may have the canvas on wrong. The groumet holes should be down by the base, then the "ball bounges" go through those and around the bars on the base. In your one picture it looks like the sides of the canvas with the rope in it is by the base. The front and back edge of the canvas has the rope in it, this goes over the top. Then when you pull the rope tite, it pulls the canvas snug over the front and back rail. Your right about the polls, I bought some self taping screws and put one in each bar. The only other thing I did was make a base from presure treated 2x4 to mount the base on. Then we used rebar to steak it into the ground. If this does not fix it i would take it back because the canvas has been cut wrong. It should look like it does on there web site,

I thought about that but you should have seen my wifes face when I told her I thought we had it on wrong.
I will probably pull it off this weekend and turn it around.
Thanks.

blakeinspace

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.8-4spd:

Hello Jake

thats what I was thinking - looks like you need to turn in 90*

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks a lot better now. On a scale of 1 - 10 I give it an 8
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Wow, that looks much better! LOL Looks much better than mine which keeps getting crushed by snow.

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 02-22-2005).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2005 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Yes it looks a lot better now as soon as I get the money from the insurance I can start fixing the car.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock