Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Project 88GT (not 56k friendly ) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Project 88GT (not 56k friendly ) by sonic50
Started on: 11-16-2004 10:49 PM
Replies: 45
Last post by: sonic50 on 05-06-2005 04:58 PM
sonic50

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Well I have been a fiero owner for about 4 months now. I am 16 years old and just got a job and will be bringing in some money. So I will be able to buy some stuff for my car.
Let me tell you a story about how I got my car. I Bought my car from a guy up I kenasaw ( I think that is how I spell it) From a guy for about 2300 dollers. That might of been a bit to much for a fiero with 140,000 miles on it. The guy that owned it had it in storage for 4 years. So we got it and took it to the shop to get the car fixed, checked and just to make sure that the car was ok. Well the car came back fine. The paint is bad on it but now days it is hard to find a fiero with good orignial paint job.

this is the car right after we got it home

as you can see the paint is not the best. But some time this year we will get some new paint on her.

Like I said it does not look good but we bought some paint and this is how it looks like now!

This is what I looks like after

I got some more to talk about and will have it on some time in the next week and a update.

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
in till I am able to buy mr. mikes I think that this will have to due!

payed about 45 doller for thoes from pepboys in Gerogia!

as you can see the engine is clean. I love the look of the fiero engine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by sonic50 (edited 11-16-2004).]

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
$2300 for an '88GT doesn't sound like that bad of a deal...

Looks nice, I wish I had a car like that when I was 16.

Brad

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Thats a pretty cool car! i bought mines last year for $2200 with 95k miles on it, but only because i lucked out...... I defenetly like your front fascia, i wish mines was that pristine. Mine has a nasty hit on the rigth front side ( thats why i have a bra on my car ) Hopefully sometime soon i can also get my car painted..... let us know how ur project is working out for you.
-Roy
BTW i bought mine when i had just turned 18, so you didnt start so bad yourself....

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Sonic,

I saw your car at the club meeting. $2300 is not bad at all for an 88 GT that is capable of moving under its own power.
You've got a great platform to build upon. Have fun!

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Zyrox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZyroxClick Here to visit Zyrox's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZyroxDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't seem like a bad price at all if it runs well. I bought my '86 GT with 81,000 miles on it the day I turned 21 for $3,500. (That was almost three years ago now, and it's up to about 110,000 miles now.) I didn't have to do any maintenance on it at all for about the first whole year I had it. And it had pretty good paint, too, but I did't bother keeping it waxed and now the paint's all gone to hell. The guy I bought it from had 3 Fieros (an '85 GT, an '86 GT, and an '87 GT) and was selling them all because he was moving to Singapore or something (where his wife was from). I wanted the '87 GT, but he wanted another $1,000 for it so I got the '86 instead.

Any, point is I think you got a nice car for $2,300, especially considering you're 16 and it's your first car. :-)

[This message has been edited by Zyrox (edited 11-19-2004).]

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Just a small update. I am getting new belts and brakes for the car. Hopfuly some time after the the new year starts I will get new tires on her.

------------------

Car Michael

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Car MichaelSend a Private Message to Car MichaelDirect Link to This Post
good job, 88's are great!
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
My Red 88GT was 4500 with 118000... probably too much but it was the only 88 I could find in Minnesota that was an 88 and started out life in Arizona with no rust. My engine looks like that but runs like arse... hopefully that will be remedied with a tune up and new ignition module and new valve cover gaskets and new... damn it... I paid 4500 dollars for an 16 year old car with a leaky sunroof, cracked lens covers and an engine that runs! And I love it!
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Looks like a reallll nice find....!

SKIDMARK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SKIDMARKSend a Private Message to SKIDMARKDirect Link to This Post
$2300 isn't bad at all for a functional 88 GT. I got a steal at $1750 for mine with 110,000 on it but I shopped around for a year and a half. It needed a lot of mechanical work though.
Did PepBoy's have those seat covers in any other colors? My son needs a set for his 86 and would probably buy a set if they come in just black.
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I payed $5200.00 for mine with 43,000 miles on it. That was about 6 years ago and thought I got a good deal.
fierolover3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolover3800Send a Private Message to fierolover3800Direct Link to This Post
looks exactly like mine when i bought a yr ago.had somewhere around 110,000 for 3k now has norms frt and a blown engine and a mess of other problems guy screwed me over . but good luck with the project and they handle like a beast

James

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Update!!!!
I have been out of town for a week now and I have not been able to give any updates. Today I will say that I got the new belts on the car and I went out a got me a radar detector. I will have some new pics on some time this week.

------------------

vinny

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
I gave $1300 for my 88GT. It had about 145,000 miles on it and needed everything. So far I have spent about $4000 more on it, not including the price of the car itself. You have to take into concideration though that this includes aftermarket 17" wheels and tires, Tenzo R seats (That I haven't even installed yet), totally rebuilding the engine, new carpet, shocks, struts, and stage II side scoops (also not installed yet). Not to mention everything else you could possibly think of to replace! Sometimes I think it's a disease. I guess it's better than drugs! Good luck!

Vinny

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Ok, so some time in the next 5 years I will be doing a swap of a v 6 to a v8. Now what type of v8 should I get and how much is it going to cost?
Also right now I have a auto in my fiero so when I do a swap to a v8 I want to make is a stick. Aprox how much does that cost?

------------------

zMacK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zMacKSend a Private Message to zMacKDirect Link to This Post
Auto to stick shift swap doesnt cost much. Its just allot of time if you do it yourself. You basically need an entire stick shift "doner" car to do it without any probs.

V8 swap is either 350/305 or 4.9 caddie.
4.9 being easier/cheaper and slower of the two.

Im for sure doing an engine swap one day. Im about in the same situation as you for when im doing it lol
I want a 3.4dohc in mine

------------------

- Mack

865spd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 865spdClick Here to visit 865spd's HomePageSend a Private Message to 865spdDirect Link to This Post
Nice! im 17 and finally got my 86 GT but get this i got it for 700$ The guy thought it needed a new motor im pretty sure it will run this week. A V8 would be sweet and i would recomend the 350. But if you want a little bit lighter motor with as much power potential get the Turbocharged 3.8 liter V6 that comes out of the Buick grand nationals and Trans am pace cars. Stock The motor puts out 250hp and 335 lb/ft torque. I have seen people easily tune them to 450 hp 500lb/ft. Thats the motor i want in mine because it lis lighter than a V8 and will also fit alot easier. Just a thought. Keep puttin money into that sweet ride.

Peace

edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
You might want to keep an open mind about the various V6 swaps, too. The 3800sc is hard to beat, and mostly it's just wiring.

My '86 is going to get a 4.9 V8 someday. That's mainly wiring and motor mounts. I want a car that's quick and reliable, but I'm not going to race anyone, so that's good for me.

But an SBC means an Archie kit--nothing against Archie because he makes a FINE product!--but for me, his kit is just too pricey.

OTOH for pure performance you cannot beat an SBC in a Fiero. The performance can be anything from mild to holy CRAP!

So it costs more! Speed always does!

In any event, I paid $2500 for my '85 SE with 48,000 on it. So $2300 for a drivable '88 GT is not bad at all!

Ed

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 865spd:
But if you want a little bit lighter motor with as much power potential get the Turbocharged 3.8 liter V6 that comes out of the Buick grand nationals and Trans am pace cars. Stock The motor puts out 250hp and 335 lb/ft torque. I have seen people easily tune them to 450 hp 500lb/ft. Thats the motor i want in mine because it lis lighter than a V8 and will also fit alot easier.

Might want to talk to LITEDAZE, I believe he has a GN motor in his Fiero.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
so if i put a high power v6 in the fiero is it a stupid idea to go also get a supper charger.
And if it cost less to put a hight power v6 in the fiero that might be the way I need to go.

I tell you what this would have been better if gm would just have put a v8 in a fiero in the first place!

------------------

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
engine swap huh?

three little words come to mind.............START SAVING MONEY!!!

Neither will be cheap..........

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas and surrounding areas

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by revin:

engine swap huh?

three little words come to mind.............START SAVING MONEY!!!

Neither will be cheap..........

Your right. so Far I have saved about 1500 dollers. I still have about 5 years intill I get one!

------------------

By_The_Ounce

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-06-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for By_The_OunceSend a Private Message to By_The_OunceDirect Link to This Post
5 years hehe
sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Well let me get something straight. I am 16 years old my dad will not let me get one intill I am 18. So that is two years right there. the three years or so to get ready for the swap get a cheep a$$ car becouse I will not have the fiero for a month or two.
so I think that five years sounds good.

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
well for some of you that live in the south may know what sky car wash is. Over the weekend I went ahead and paid $50.00 to get my car washed.
this is a pic of the wheel that you could not see the silver.
now I went out and bought them at pepboys and It was a pain to get on.
I had this for a while just have not posted a pic yet.

Got some more pics soon!!!!!

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2005 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
well today I went and bought new 17" gt-r wheels.
Stock rims

and my new rims
sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

here are better pic of my new wheels.

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Dude! Nice rims!

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2005 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
the north gets snow the south gets ice! We are not use to this type of weather. My car had to park out side so on friday night i ran to pepboys and bought a car cover. I got home and cover the car. during the night with the ice and wind my car looked like this when i got up on sat. morning

as you can see it did not work so well!
so any way i will be unable to drive the fiero today. I am a bit sad.

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

------------------

PFF
System Bot
sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2005 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post

sonic50

3873 posts
Member since Aug 2004

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
I just started to work on the front end of my car!

It looks good it is just hard to put on!
I would like to get a fiero wheel cover. That might help the way it looks.
But so far this is it. I am on a limited budget so I just do ever thing little at a time.
------------------

[This message has been edited by sonic50 (edited 02-08-2005).]

slickrick2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2005 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post
Wow man, I wish I was as goal orientated, and could save money like you when I was 16.
Your car looks great! Remember it's the little details that make a car look better than the next guys.

Rick

blackie2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2005 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blackie2m6Click Here to visit blackie2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to blackie2m6Direct Link to This Post
I paid $4000.00 US for my 88 GT last year, plus I drove 16 hours to get it. However the car is in good shape. Mine is in need of paint on the front and rear fascias. here is a picture from Carlisle PA last year.

Yours looks pretty good for the price you paid. Welcome to the 88 GT club.....

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2005 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
I just bought a Video cam so I should soon be able to have some video of the car.

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2005 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
well my egr fell off. So I had to get my fiero towed iT was not a happy day.
But I got it fixed and did a tune up and now she is working stronger then ever.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
Some new photos of my 88GT. I will be going the FieroFactory swap meet this month and I might Buy some cool new toys.

As you can see in the photo below I got a new GT tail light!

------------------

88gt build up! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/047402.html

http://www.iamanascarfan.com/

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Cool, looks good so far. Good to see an 88 being taken care of!

------------------
1988 Fiero GT 2.8
1991 S-10 5-speed 2.8
gmfwd.com

nutball72

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nutball72Send a Private Message to nutball72Direct Link to This Post
HAH i only paid $500 for my fiero... except its not a gt, and it didnt work
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock