Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The donor car, the engine, my new swap pics (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The donor car, the engine, my new swap pics by Her86GT
Started on: 12-07-2004 05:24 PM
Replies: 44
Last post by: 86 FIERO GT on 12-15-2004 11:36 PM
Her86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Well here are a few pics of the new swap we are starting for the summer. This year we are going for mid 11's on the track. But I'm missing my 4.9 already. I hope this engine proves to be just as reliable.

Becky

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
I'm looking forward to seeing more. Good Luck with the swap.

------------------

The 4.9 To Be!

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post
Hey I reconize that car

good to see that it made it to you guys

------------------
Chris 85 Fiero SE 2.5L of fury
second one in the garage undergoing surgery
See the progress

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=347941&page

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Sweet! wow thats gonna be one heck of a rocket. I think beck is gonna be the first woman on the moon... that thing is gonna fly. Now if only you can get it all dressed up and painted this time... (hint, hint, nudge, nudge... pete.)

------------------

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
That is a nice upgrade! I look forward to reading more about this swap.
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Cars must be really cheap over there. Is it really worth buying the whole car?
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4BanGinFun:

Hey I reconize that car

good to see that it made it to you guys

Thankyou for tipping us off on the car! You will get a ride when it's done as promised.

Becky

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Her86GT

1173 posts
Member since May 2001

Originally posted by Saber49:

Sweet! wow thats gonna be one heck of a rocket. I think beck is gonna be the first woman on the moon... that thing is gonna fly. Now if only you can get it all dressed up and painted this time... (hint, hint, nudge, nudge... pete.)

Yes, we have already been talking with Steve. We have plans to get it over to his place asap for some makeup.

Becky

Eclipse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EclipseSend a Private Message to EclipseDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! We'll be watching....:}

Jay

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Based upon what y'all did with the 4.9, this one is going to be seriously scary.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

Read Nealz Nuze!

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
So much for the LS1. But hey, 32 valves are better then 16... I take it you aren't going to give us some hints as to whats to come of this beast, but I have a strange feeling its going to get turboed.
PFF
System Bot
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see what you guys do. Did some one buy the 4.9?

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

So much for the LS1. But hey, 32 valves are better then 16... I take it you aren't going to give us some hints as to whats to come of this beast, but I have a strange feeling its going to get turboed.

No LS1 this time - we couldn't pass up on the price of this engine. Pete does plan on putting on a turbo.

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

Did some one buy the 4.9?

No, we have the 4.9 - it's still in my car.

Becky

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
That is how I will buy our next engine swap Get the entire car, take off what you need and sell the rest. Get the engine at a much lower price that way, and maybe even make money

------------------

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
So here is the plan.

1994 4.6 northstar.
4T60 automatic trans, custom built with Phantom Grip.
7730 ecm, Dist mounted on end of camshaft.
T04 turbo custom build by "Cherry Turbo" Boost level still to be determained < 7 psi
Water to Air intercooled.

Engine will be stock other than new head gaskets and bolts with thead inserts. Gasket matched intake as required, ported exhaust.

Goals for this year, installed and running mid 11 sec in 1/4 mile. If all works out I may rebuild this N* or locate a lower milage engine in the years to come.

Why not use a caddy ecm? I want to be able to scan ecm and display to lap top, which I can do with the ecm I have now running the 4.9. I want to be able to program the PROM and make changes at the track and on the road.

Why not use the caddy 4T80? I already have a built 4T60 with LSD, and really don't want the extra weight. As well the 730 ecm will not control an electonic transmission.

Since we are using a popular 7730 ecm to run this Northstar like a SBC or the 4.9. I will need to mount and time a distibutor and position timing marks on the harmonic balancer.

These are just a few details.

Many thanks so far, I am not doing all the planning and building on my own, We do have a great community here. Her86GT, Rockcrawl, Spearce, 4BanGinFun are the ones I would like to thank so far, along with all the compliments and intrest here on PFF.

There will be lots of details and I am sure we can all benifit from a N* running on a cheap chevy ECM!

Pete

------------------

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
This is gonna be good!

Are you using the Bubbajoexx type distributer set-up or one of your own designs?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
what is the compression on the northstar motor?

can you lower compression by using the low output pistons from a quad4? should get compression down to 9:1-9.5:1 or so, might make for a boosted time.

matthew

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
I think this will be the scariest N* Fiero EVER..... well... so far!

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

BtotheB

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
That has to be the coolest swap I can think of... turbo N*. Thats what I was hoping to do when I get another Fiero. Damn, thats gonna be fun to build. I'm jealous!!

Brad

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
PBJ
remember to weld a new ear on the trans as you will need all 4 bolts and the 4t60e there is one bolt on the botom on the trans side that is to low for the N* and will have to be raised up to fit the are only 4 bolts holding the trans on with N* engines why not use the HPV1 Ignition system it works great and has provisions for turbo timming and CB performance make a stand alone fuel system computer for Multi port injection that uses only 2 cencers temp and tps and is dash ajustable and turbo compatable with the turbo dash unit and is inexpesive for small block chev with only a tach imput and can be purchesed in part form
ECM and Dash control sold separetly and you can make your own harness

If I remember right ecm was 259.00

turbo dash control 349.00

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Saber49 -yes we are planning on making this engine look as well as it runs, without the use of chrome, fortunatly Spearce is willing to help.

WingNut - MD -I hope this engine turns out to be an upgrade from the turbo 4.9 we have now, but really how can you improve on a low 12 sec engine that has not broken down.

Elenor84 -I have often heard in the long run to pick up the whole car would be cheaper but since we will only be using the engine and nothing else it may not have been that way. Fortunatly for us this whole car came up forsale at the right time and was brought to our attention to us, and delivered by tow truck for still under $1000.00.

Raydar -I am excited to build this one, it should really move....for a girls car

Fierobsessed -The LS1 I had was only a short block and once I lost a few bids on Ebay and found out how cheap I really am...I thought maybe another time. Also it was definatly going to be turbo'd no matter what V8 engine and I believe our trans budget is not ready for a turbo LS1.

Black-Azz-GT -We still have the 4.9, no plans yet to give it away, we will sell it though, eventually. Like I mentioned, it will be a hard engine to replace for durability.

mrfixit58 -Our distributor plan for now is much like the Honda, mounted directly to the end of the one camshaft.

m0sh_man -I have no intention at this time to modify the engine, I want it stock to see what it will do, with me being a Tech the labour to take it out next year to play some more is only more fun. This car is a hobby, and if it ever gets done, I will have to.......

NotAFieroAnyLonger -We shall see how scary this thing will be, I only want mid 11's, we shall see.

BtotheB -Fun is what this is all about-forsure.

bubbajoexxx -Thanks for the heads up on the bell housing, as for engine management, for now on paper I like what I have, but then again its not yet running in the fiero. or even removed from caddy.

Time to go back to work, sorry no time to proof read or spell check.

Pete

PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
cam mounted dist wont work it has to be belt driven with a gimmler belt off a second pully attached to the water pump drive pully there is no way to afix a dist to the head without major re welding of the rear of the head lack of metal to make a secure place to mount it
ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

cam mounted dist wont work it has to be belt driven with a gimmler belt off a second pully attached to the water pump drive pully there is no way to afix a dist to the head without major re welding of the rear of the head lack of metal to make a secure place to mount it

Why can't you just make an extension on the water pump/cam pulley, and attach it with the valve cover mounting bolts? Better yet, why not go EDIS with a ford ignition module, and a ford reluctor ring on the crank pulley? Just a heads up - more than likely you're going to need to grind the 4t60 to clearance the starter... but you probably already knew that... So... Welcome to the club!

------------------

Northstar 87 GT... "it's like being pushed by the hand of God."
Member of the greenbar syndicate

spearce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spearceClick Here to visit spearce's HomePageSend a Private Message to spearceDirect Link to This Post
PBJ
So when can I expect to see the motor arrive at my shop for the obligatory makeover

Steve

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Why not DIS?
Its still a Crank sensor to DIS unit, with normal 4 wires for control and 12V + Gnd right?
Im running a 7730 in my Fiero with DIS (on a 3.4) and the Grand Prix TGP code (good for boost!)
I think if you set the cyl select to 8, change the advance to match the engine, and modify the heck out of the tables you're good to go. The 7730 w/TGP code is designed to work well with the 4T60 (non E), DIS and MPFI, just make sure you get a vaccume modulator for a 89 TGP.
Best of all, its been hacked and commented to death. It's all set to go. Boost is set to 7-8 PSI stock, and has boost retard tables already onhand. You even just use a Fiero V6 harness with that computer! Just add the extra two injectors to the inj harness, lengthen and shorten cables to suite, change the knock sensor, re-organise the pins on the computer plugs, add the 3rd plug. You will have to add a couple wires to the harness to get it all to work, as well as change the EGR circuit (or eliminate it) and the fan switch would have to be moved to a computer output.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
I was looking forward to killing your new LS1 swap with my turbo N*, then you go and change up the mess. I guess you were scared. I beat you with the 4.9, I can do it with the N* too.

I believe that is exactly what he had in mind. That's how mine was set up. Darn copycat!

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I can't understand half the technical stuff you guys are throwing down, but congratulations on the great deal! That's a lot cheaper than the crate N* we were talking about the other day.

Pete if you ever get this one finished and you are bored I can bring mine back up there for some tuning.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
It's hard to be different!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

$1,000 bucks for a northstar !!??

Are you kidding me ? That is a great deal.

Can someone tell me what years and model cars the northstars we can use came in ?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

I was looking forward to killing your new LS1 swap with my turbo N*, then you go and change up the mess. I guess you were scared. I beat you with the 4.9, I can do it with the N* too.

If you don't know, 2 years ago Rockcrawl and I had a bit of a competition to build the fastest 4.9 between the two of us. Here is one of the theads. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20030819-1-026702.html he build up a modified 4.9 which we all know as the "shaker" and I put a home built turbo system on our stock 4.9. Now his is a stick shift and ours is an auto but there were no rules about that. Anyways he drove the car up to London and we raced them on the track. Sure was fun but Rockcrawl won with a time of 13.3 @ 106 mph with our 13.4 @ 99 mph. So quite obviously he was making some good hp with his naturally asperated 4.9. So guess what I did to turn our 13.4 sec turbo 4.9 into what is now a 12.2 sec 4.9...........followed the leader with his mods, only I also kept the turbo. Now it came down to another winter and another little competition. Rockcrawl is also building a N* turbo (I hope that's not a secret) and the challenge once again is who can be faster. Some may know I started putting together a turbo LS1 plan but then after adding up the numbers it was not going to work this year with just having a long block. So my plan was to lower the compression ratio of the 4.9 and easily obtain the 11's, to attempt to beat his N* turbo, but this donor STS came along and now we have a pretty fair challenge between us. Same engine, different transmissions (both auto), different turbo's, hmmmm, will be exciting.

As for what caddies came with N*'s. early 90's fwd caddy to present. Mid 90's was only N*

Pete

Here are some pics of our track day a couple years ago, Shaker and V8Dreamers car too.

In the back ground you can see Rockcrawl with the laptop, modifying his PROM to beat Beck.

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 12-08-2004).]

4BanGinFun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4BanGinFunClick Here to visit 4BanGinFun's HomePageSend a Private Message to 4BanGinFunDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

$1,000 bucks for a northstar !!??

Are you kidding me ? That is a great deal.

Can someone tell me what years and model cars the northstars we can use came in ?

I'd say I gave him a price he could not refuse... If I had the money, time and the Know how... I would have tackled it. but I'd much rather see it goto a good home, and hopefully beat Rockcrawls
Good luck Pete.... I cant wait till its ready

PFF
System Bot
Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4T60 behind my SBC, and I got it from a forum member who was going to put it behind his N*. The reason I got it was because it wouldnt fit with the N*. I think he said 2" of the block would have had to have been shaved?? Anyway, just a heads up. Hope it does work for you, its a nice tranny.

If youdont mind me asking, where did you get LSD?

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Pat:

If youdont mind me asking, where did you get LSD?

I purchased the 4T60 transmission from Hugh here on PFF. I believe he had the transmission sent away and the LSD was installed by Phanotom Grip.

Pete

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Cool, thanks mate.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The Northstar has lost about 4500 lbs and is waiting for its make over and a new body. Once we get started on the tear down and build up I will start a new thread with a Northstar heading so others can follow and maybe be able to do themselves.

Pete

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
What about this DIS controller?
http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3632/MSD-Carbureted-LS1-Ignition-Controller.htm

It's for a carbureated LS1, so it's a stand-alone DIS controller. That might be an option instead of a distributor.
Now, if you want to integrate the FI and ignition, etc. then this probably won't work, but if the dizzy setup you were going to use was stand alone, this is a good alternative.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2004 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The major set back for trying to keep the distributor less ignition system is that the N* ignition module uses cam and crank sensors that are positioned 70 deg off. Meaning you need to correct the placement of the sensor or reluctor wheel. This info has been passed down to me.

Pete

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
PBJ
look for a computer from a late 92 allante as they where the first northstar implanted by caddy . the computer is OBD! and can have the chip reprogramed to
work in the fiero with your engine and you can keep all the original sensors and ignition setup .
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, so the 4.9 turbo is still for sale... and Christmas is coming... and I have some money left over from refinancing... oh, the temptation.

------------------
Custom 85 under construction, 87 Coupe in the driveway. The fun never ends!

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero:

Hmmm, so the 4.9 turbo is still for sale... and Christmas is coming... and I have some money left over from refinancing... oh, the temptation.

I could wrap it all up and put a bow on it too if you would like.

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock