Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  "F" Body Power Steering in 88GT (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
"F" Body Power Steering in 88GT by Rickady88GT
Started on: 08-12-2004 02:14 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: RCR on 12-29-2004 08:29 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Bad news for the people that want to use the spare tire
It have a front batery tray from WCF and it clears the rack and lines but the lines are in the way of the spare tire tub. I had to cut a big hole in the tub to clear the hydro lines on the steering rack spool. I will just make a cover/vent to cover the hole so the battery will have a better venting system. But I have WCF 12 inch C4 brakes and 17 inch wheels so I cant use the spare anyway.
IP: Logged
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
I was wondering about this when I had my front tub out recently. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
These are pictures of the hoses and the hole. The spool is cast iron and can be turned so the lines won't be in the way but you have to make two new lines on the rack to do it. So, I just cut a hole.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I drove the car today
It feels great. The steering effort is very close to the stock 88GT but you can turn the wheel at a dead stop with one hand. At speed it is very much the same as stock, but the ratio is faster so you dont need to turn the wheel as far to make lane changes and such.
This was the reason I chose the "F" body rack and it works great
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
glad it works great! can you give a general idea of difficulty, time and money spent? thanks
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
It was not as hard as it may seem. But on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 7 or 8. The any shade tree mechanic can do it, but the hard part is planing and detail. I blew the high pressure line (over 1000 psi) and spewed power steering fluid ALL OVER and busted another welded line in the same line. This was the down side of it. Other than that it went smooth.
I formed high pressure steel hydrolic lines for the high and low pressure lines and had the "F" body metal line ends brazed to the new lines. Then had a high pressure hydralic Fuerl crimped to the high pressure rubber line that will be the quick disconect.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok Rick when is the kit coming out? The one for 84 to 87s though
Good work.
That rack you emailed me about. Did you get my reply about it?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did, thanks Aus.no plans for a kit yet. I want to do a few more first to work out the little bugs that came up along the way. That way I can offer something that is as easy to bolt in as posable. But it would be very general, because of all the different types of engines and pumps. And if I could find a way to put the hose nuts and flare the hose ends on the hydralic lines for the rack it would be MUCH easier.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Excellent work, mind if I ask some specifics: what year(s) is the rack from and also which make/years for the steering pump?

thanks,
Tim

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Yes I did, thanks Aus.no plans for a kit yet. I want to do a few more first to work out the little bugs that came up along the way. That way I can offer something that is as easy to bolt in as posable. But it would be very general, because of all the different types of engines and pumps. And if I could find a way to put the hose nuts and flare the hose ends on the hydralic lines for the rack it would be MUCH easier.

I'll have my 355 back in a few months... That'll be a good one for you to practice on...

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Sure.
The rack is out of an "F" body car. Mine is a 2000 Camaro SS with the ws6 suspention. I got it off of Ebay for $50 and looks like new. I have seen several of them go for that price. You can also get them out of the Firebird's. But dont get the V6 versions because they dont have the fast ratio.
The pump is the factory 2000 Olds Intrigue pump that came the engine that I swaped in. I took it off at one time after I did the engine swap but put it back on just for the power steering.
PFF
System Bot
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Great news, I'm glad to hear that you've got it finished up and debugged. I'd really like to do power steering in the future the same reasoning as you.

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I wont say were the new rack comes from until I get one in my hands and see how well it will work. I have one, but it is the wrong version. That is how I know the specs.

Any update on this? I'm curious what you have planned. I'm by no means afraid of trying something new; even if you don't do it, I'd be interested to hear what rack it is and why it may be more appropriate for a swap.

Bryce
88 GT

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I had hoped that GM made a right hand drive rack for the "W" body platform. The rack in my Olds Intrigue is even faster ratio than the "F" body but has more travle. The F body is 2.25 turns lock to lock and the w body is 2.5. But the F body has less travle than the Fiero and the W body is very close to the same. So if I could find a right hand drive W body power rack, I would mount it upside down and in front of the wheels like a front steer rack. The W body rack is a rear steer rack and that is why the W body lefty wont work as is. If the W body rack is a right hand drive and can be fliped over to mount in the Fiero it would have the full turning radious of the Fiero without the modified steering arms.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2004 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Songman you a wellcome to come over and drive it to see first hand how it feels
The one thing that realy stands out for me is backing it up. I like to twist all the way around in my seat to look behind me as I back up. This was hard to do in the stock Fiero because I only have one hand to steer with as the other hand is on the pass seat. The car only needs one hand to drive now, and dont even feel like a Fiero any more when I back it up
BTW if I could post a vidio of this I would shoot a short film showing the steering effort with one hand. It is not like a Caddy, it takes more effort than my Olds Intrigue to turn so for those that say they dont want to lose any "feeling of the road" this system is great. It has a stock Fiero feel at speeds over 5mph but is quicker than stock. I like it like that for the twisty roads.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well over 1000 miles on it and not a single glitch in the system

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 12-29-2004).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Congrats Rick....Great job...

Bob

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock