Started on: 10-09-2004 07:14 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: watts on 10-13-2004 12:18 PM
Her86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
Dynoed my car today and here are the results. The dyno guys said the jumping between 4 and 5 is knock and we would gain more HP by remapping some timing. They think it has alot of false knock too so we got some great tips on how to fix it. Wow, did it ever scream!

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Her86GT (edited 10-09-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
nice to see a 4.9 dyno above 150 for a change.. hehehe.. well done man.

------------------

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2004 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Strong numbers.
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
excellent result considering you lost 80+ HP spinning the automatic with is common with most autos keep up the good work
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post10-09-2004 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
I predicted 302 two weeks ago. I thought it was going to be a bit stronger with the cam and head work.

Even so those are good numbers.

odd to see it still drop so fast at 4500 with the head work and reground cam.

good numbers however. puts you at about 335 crank.

anyone else strap their car down?

SH

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
It was a great day and a great experience. We joined in on a local F body dyno day before us they dyno'ed half a dozen cars. 3 LS1's, a carb 350, an old pontiac 400 or something like that. The LS1 all three were standard trans and one was a vette, they all were between 303 and 318 rwhp. The carb 350 auto had 148 rwhp. The whole day was a positive experience and none of the F body guys had anything negitive to say about the two fieros.

Here is another pic of today.

Thanks for the compliments about the results. I am pleased to see some fluctuations on the graph. That tells me there is still more power to squeeze out of the 4.9 with tuning alone.

As for the results, I did not have much in the way of expectations today because I only wanted to build a consistant 13 sec car and I accomplished that long ago. Today was for fun and knowlege. We got both.

Pete

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics.

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
wow! Looked like you all had alot of fun!

------------------

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Nice post, first impression of your chart was " darn spooky curves " ! Believe you are correct is picking up bigger excellent numbers in the mid-range with some adjustments to the chip. Is there a "knock" sensor in the system, or are you running without one ?

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 10-09-2004).]

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
what was under the decklid of the other fiero that was running? How did it do?

matthew

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Very nice numbers. Questions: What was the charge for the Dyno run? Were the Vette guys shocked? I know you posted some time back were you wip'd on one guys Vette. Was he there at the shop?
PFF
System Bot
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations
Those are very nice numbers
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Pete,

FWIW, I think FieroX wrapped something (explosion blanket?) around his auto tranny to muffle the mechanical noise. Apparently his knock sensor was "hearing" it. IIRC, it made a difference.

VERY impressive numbers. The previous best I've ever seen from a 4.9 was 170-something, through a manual tranny. This on an install based upon a crate motor, with a Rockcrawl chip.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-10-2004).]

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies and keep the annalysis for the chart coming. As you can see the 4.9 was run up to just shy of 6500 rpm! I do not see any sign of rich or lean concerns, does anyone? What does it mean when the hp and torque cross at 4400 rpm? What rpm would you shift this engine at? It looks like I should have run it on the dyno last year to make this year that much better.

The engine is using a knock sensor. With a fast attack rate if knock is present.

Sorry the other fiero was not mine and not mine to comment on. The last thing you need from me is quotes based on memory.

The dyno was two pulls, it cost ONLY $40.00 cdn. EVERY F/body and the Vette owner was surprised, they already knew or heard of the car and knew they could not even touch it, without some serious mods from what they have. They also commented on how it sounded, V8 with very little exhaust and turbo whine and then the blow off valve when you let off the gas. The shop is about half way between London and Toronto, it is part of a machine/performance shop.

The one guy also told me the Knock sensor needs to be "muffled" and gave me a tip on how to do it. Our knock sensor is mounted on the transmission end of the block. So maybe a placement change is also required.

agian, Thanks for the input!

Pete

ED's85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post
349 ft-lbs at 3500, That is so sweet!

Pete; you need to start working on selling turbo kits, I would buy one

Ed

Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Yep!
rubyredfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Pete - You are one amazing individual. Take a bow.

Oscar.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Thanks eh Oscar, but I did not do it all myself. I physically put it together and maintain it but, there is Rockcrawl and Spearce along with others that have had thier hand in the car along the way. It is not done yet.

Pete

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I dont think anyone can tell rich/lean without the wideband. Do you have a scan of the run along with the wideband plot? I would also be interested in seeing what a/f looked like along with daq of manifold pressures if it was my engine to see why torque trailed off. (I am still impressed with the power you made.)

HP and torque cross at 5250.

Originally posted by PBJ:

I do not see any sign of rich or lean concerns, does anyone? What does it mean when the hp and torque cross at 4400 rpm?

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Congrats PBJ. That much at the wheels is no small feat.

About lean/rich conditions, that unevenness between 4,000 & 5,500 has my interest.

It could be something to do with the flow design on the intake, but it could also be metering.

I wish I knew turbo/injector technology, but I'd bet you have somemore ponies there if you can solve it.

Arn

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
I dont' know why you didnt' do a wideband run. going by a knock meter doesnt' tell you anything by itself. You could be pinging or you have some otehr noise in the engine. Try running some higher octane gas. Put the 93 away and go out and buy a couple of gallons of C16 Redyno on the c16 and see if you get that same flat spot. If you are then its not because of pinging or detonation.

Get a wideband going.

You can make your own or get an FJO unit. I think they are around $500 or so. Or just stuff one up the tailpipe when on the dyno

Also your hp and tq cross at 4400 rpm cause your plots are on different scales.

SH

PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I called this place earlier in the week and they said they did not offer a wide band for the "dyno day" What do you expect for $40.00 I guess. They also could pick out more than I could remember about what they found from the dyno run. They seemed to think there was false knock picked up but also there was real knock happening and pointed it out where they thought each was. Also they thought the fuel ratio was good but harder to pick up a concern from the graph with an automatic transmission. They were saying quick fluctuation in the graph indicated lean and slow fluctuations indicate rich. They showed me an example of a lean running dyno run and easily noticed the fluctuation difference. Also these runs are with no torque converter lock up so they said if I had a converter lock up the numbers would show slightly higher. By how these two dyno operators talked I was quite impressed but then I know very little about reading a dyno chart and could easily be impressed. This is why I am asking if anyone else has experience in "reading" the chart to tell me if there really is that much info to be found from a dyno run.

We are running 94 octane fuel. Sunoco, if we run 92 or 93 you can tell and hear a difference with ping, we have never run 89 or 87. I believe we are depending on the knock sensor too much.

Pete

ws6fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ws6fieroClick Here to visit ws6fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ws6fieroDirect Link to This Post
http://www.angelfire.com/on/freddysplace/Dyno.jpg
was my 3.4 turbo chart the spikes are not always timing, infact it looks like your wastegate to me....
Have a gander at the dyno charts @
http://etrackmasters.com/dynocharts.htm
notice alot of the cars marked turbo have this, those that don't prob spent $$ on a controler

------------------
Freddy
Freddy's Place

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the results... the cadero list might like a link to this thread (hint-hint)...
You know... I have seen no action on that list for at least a month...
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

excellent result considering you lost 80+ HP spinning the automatic with is common with most autos keep up the good work

80 HP? <chuckle>

The Punisher

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2004 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

I called this place earlier in the week and they said they did not offer a wide band for the "dyno day" What do you expect for $40.00 I guess. They also could pick out more than I could remember about what they found from the dyno run. They seemed to think there was false knock picked up but also there was real knock happening and pointed it out where they thought each was. Also they thought the fuel ratio was good but harder to pick up a concern from the graph with an automatic transmission. They were saying quick fluctuation in the graph indicated lean and slow fluctuations indicate rich. They showed me an example of a lean running dyno run and easily noticed the fluctuation difference. Also these runs are with no torque converter lock up so they said if I had a converter lock up the numbers would show slightly higher. By how these two dyno operators talked I was quite impressed but then I know very little about reading a dyno chart and could easily be impressed. This is why I am asking if anyone else has experience in "reading" the chart to tell me if there really is that much info to be found from a dyno run.

We are running 94 octane fuel. Sunoco, if we run 92 or 93 you can tell and hear a difference with ping, we have never run 89 or 87. I believe we are depending on the knock sensor too much.

Pete

DL motorsports in Burlington has a wideband./ Thats where I had the M3 Dynoed. The owner Mike is a great car , works on everything from a 9 sec civic to a Twin Turbo Testarossa. It's a Dynojet 248C.

JM

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:
The owner Mike is a great car

His wife martha the tanker truck thinks he's pretty nice too.....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock