TDC 3.4 DOHC question, (easy). by hoola47
Started on: 10-01-2004 12:52 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: fieromadman on 10-02-2004 01:56 AM
hoola47

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
I'm really starting to like this motor, but... are there any rebuild kits for it, can you buy all the new barrings etc, rings.... Because, around here, its hard to find one with low miles, and who wants to put a TDC with 150,000miles in a car that is going to obviously get driven hard some times?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Just get yourself 2 or 3 high mileage engines, then you dont have to worry about high mileage or breaking someting, thats my plan until I come across a low mile one Just drive it as hard as you can
hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
ok... ummm.
No thanks , its hard finding a decent one, let alone 2 or 3, plus I don't really want a bunch of motors sitting in the garage. I'm sure you can rebuild them, I just want to know if there are specific kits, and how much they are, and lastly, if not, shopping around for the new parts, is it fairly pricey?
PontiacJ8
From: Clay, New York w/ all the trees & the cars hidden in between!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiacJ8Click Here to visit PontiacJ8's HomePageSend a Private Message to PontiacJ8Direct Link to This Post
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Rockcrawl's opinion is very fair, but he is comparing apples to oranges. 3.4tdc is a sportscar engine, where he seems to favor high torque motors. A stock 3.4tdc will run with a stock 4.9 in the 1/4 mile, the power just comes on at different rpm. There are timeslips for stock 3.4tdc's in the high 13s. There are easy mods to wake up a 3.4tdc. A exhaust cam retard will net another 25-28hp alone. Rumors are GM had this motor up to 280hp naturally aspirated before they detuned it so that it didn't break FWD transmissions. I think the general public likes torque more than hp, hence the reason they decided to supercharge an old as dirt, pushrod, 3800. Put the same supercharger on a 3.4tdc and you will see much bigger gains per pound of boost.

The 3.4's bottom end is basically the same as other 3.4 60* engines. I've been on the 60* V-6 board for quite awhile and have never really heard of head problems. Just have to make sure you keep a fresh cam belt in there, ever 60K or so. There are many high mileage 3.4s on the 60* forum, many over 200K.

My $0.02

------------------

Buy a fiero, become a mechanic

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 10-01-2004).]

84Fiero2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84Fiero2M4Send a Private Message to 84Fiero2M4Direct Link to This Post
but where is there a rebuild kit for one?

------------------
*Sponsered by Sport Compact Pro*
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 - 103,000 Miles, 88 Formula Front End, Roof Wing, JVC Stereo, Red Neons, Sony P5 8" Center Console Sub

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
Thanks crzyone, I don't mind that high reving anyway, but again, the rebuild kit idea, has anyone rebuilt one, where are the kits found, were the parts expensive......
BUMP
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
http://www.flatlanderracing.com/rebuildkitschevy.html

They have three different levels of kits ranging from $289 to $899 for the 3.4 DOHC.

Go to www.60degreev6.com and do a search in the 3.4 dohc section for rebuild kits. There are a few other companies out there that make kits.

------------------
Chris

Blacksheep

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacksheepSend a Private Message to BlacksheepDirect Link to This Post
When I was thinking about rebuilding a high mileage 3.4tdc/dohc I was quoted about $800 for all the major parts crank, pistons, barrings, seals, cams (all 4), rings, gaskets, etc... and that was from a local parts store (privatly owned not somewhere like napa or autozone).

[This message has been edited by Blacksheep (edited 10-01-2004).]

hoola47

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hoola47Send a Private Message to hoola47Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys, good information, I helped you with your rating bars
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the link to the site witht he re-build kits. that might come in handy at some point in time!

------------------
REMEMBER: If you cant win the race you loose the argument!!

3.4 DOHC Motor Swap-14.7 in the 1/4 mile with no hook-up, crumby exhaust and automatic chip.
Better exhaust, chip, cam retarding, and driver to come... I'm feeling lucky!
www.geocities.com/j_depies

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock