Started on: 09-23-2004 11:08 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: The Punisher on 09-25-2004 10:17 PM
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

+

=

Finally got my scanner working. Not 2 shabby considering each wheel is over 50lbs, lots of interior weight, heavy stereo system, heavy front slalom suspension, full tank of gas, and I launched as I would at a stop light. I'll head back before the season is over to see if I can join the prestigious 12 second club.

1st Win = V8 Monte Carlo that went 13.88 to my 13.38
2nd Kill = A souped up WRX that went 14.11 to my 13.15

The WRX had a R/T of .087 to my .88... It was fun passing him though. I didn't expect to win my first time at the track, or have as much fun as I did. Getting over 100mph in a 1/4 is much more of a rush than I could have imagined. I'm sure many of you can vouch. I think I'm addicted now, and the season is ending soon.
On the bright side... Winter project time!

Dan from the Indy club helped me find a loaner helmet for my second run, and he had a lot of fun racing his stock Fiero. Anyone else around want to come watch or race the next few Tuesday nights at Indianapolis Raceway Park? Does Mike Hornsby still have his 3800SC to take on the competition?

PS - It's perfectly streetable with my mods. (XP Cam, 3.25" pulley, WCF headers, Intense LSD, Shift Kit, DHP PCM, and other minor mods.)

Hope to see more Fiero owners out there!

Greg

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 09-24-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MiZer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
nicely done mate! car looks sweet as well..

cheers!

------------------

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Here is the funny one... This was my first time down the track. I was ahead of the Monte Carlo front the start, but at about 80mph my headlight covers popped up and scared me. I went to 50% throttle until I knew what happened. It was cool that I still won, but I need to vent them or tape those air brakes down.

Greg

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTguy:

but at about 80mph my headlight covers popped up and scared me. I went to 50% throttle until I knew what happened. It was cool that I still won, but I need to vent them or tape those air brakes down.

Greg

HOOD VENT! Nice Runs

The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
those are some great runs. just shows what a properly done swap can do. thats a great engine. Dump those heavy ass wheels and you will see 12's!!!! Get some 15 inch rims on there if you can(not sure if you have a brake upgrade) and run those. Also try powerbreaking off the line. Might give you that slight edge to get into the 12's.

Although 1.8's are prtty impressive. Nice work there. your car is hooking well.

Whats your mods?

Looks like that scooby was starting to catch you up top.

SH

------------------
JM / SH

Pick up the bone phone Fred Flinstone and call George Jetson. Get Cable, DSL, or something....
Opinions are like ‘The Punisher” everyone has one ™

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
NIce runs and good looking car but man--You gotta clean up that engine bay--Looking rough.
FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

those are some great runs. just shows what a properly done swap can do. thats a great engine. Dump those heavy ass wheels and you will see 12's!!!! Get some 15 inch rims on there if you can(not sure if you have a brake upgrade) and run those. Also try powerbreaking off the line. Might give you that slight edge to get into the 12's.

Although 1.8's are prtty impressive. Nice work there. your car is hooking well.

Whats your mods?

SH

I have 12" Wilwood brakes all around w/ coil-overs. Normally, I would ditch the heavy wheels but the 265's on the rear sure do help against too much wheel spin. I have some 17" Focal wheels that I can put some drag radials on. Might work out better.

I was worried to power brake because the only gauge that doesn't work right now is the Tach, and I don't have a rev limiter (DHP removed it, along with the EGR, HVAC + stuff). FieroX said to brake hard and rev it until it's about to stall, then launch as soon as the 2nd yellow goes out. I'll try that next time if it won't grenade my tranny.

PS - A + for your slip analysis. I didn't notice that souped up WRX was gaining. It had a cf hood, IC through the custom front spoiler, and looked really nice. I'm betting that he had nitrous because there was a small crowd checking his car out after the race. I was going to check it out, but it would have been awkward introducing myself as the guy he lost to.

Greg

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 09-26-2004).]

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

FieroGTguy

3087 posts
Member since Mar 2001

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

NIce runs and good looking car but man--You gotta clean up that engine bay--Looking rough.

I was planning to have JR from Florida clean it up. My installer would have charged an arm and a leg to run extra wires, and chose to install the PCM and GTP fuse box in the trunk. Right now, I'm just happy that everything is working properly and that I'm having fun with it.

Greg

------------------

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
Thats actually a good idea. $300 gets you a c/f skin off kitcar. Weighs 12lbs I think. You end up loseing a butt-ass load. I think stock deck weighs 20lbs, wing weighs about the same and all the mounting hardware. Thats what i'll end up doing when I fix mine. Do that, get more aggressive off the line, and you'll be made. My rims weighd about as much as yours did too. They're a little lighter now though

Your car looks tits BTW!!

SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
Not bad for your first time at the track!. YES, if you would have powerbraked until you feel the front brakes start tio give, you woulda gotten a 12 second slip. That is if you didn't spin. How was traction? BTW, I have:
XP Hot cam
Short Stack intercooler
3.0 pulley
CAI
160 stat
Autolite 103's
Jet Hot stock manifolds
EGR delete
105 lb Valve Springs

My last trip to the track (first with this setup) was a test run. I was looking at 4 chips Darth Fiero gave me to work with. I cOULD NOT get traction to save my life, 2.0 60's all day. BUT I managed 12.9's@109mph. My mph tells me I should have run at least 12.7.
What kinda trans are you using? Is it a OBD 1 or 2 system? Going to help you get the most outta your car if I can.

------------------

USED to be NOS3800
1988 Purple Fiero GTw/SC3800 conversion
Best ET with 3.0 pulley and 1.9 rockers: 12.74@105mph
Best 60 Foot: 1.735
Stayed tuned: Now has XP HOT cam and Short Stack Intercooler!

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SOULCRUSHER:

Not bad for your first time at the track!. YES, if you would have powerbraked until you feel the front brakes start tio give, you woulda gotten a 12 second slip. That is if you didn't spin. How was traction? BTW, I have:
XP Hot cam
Short Stack intercooler
3.0 pulley
CAI
160 stat
Autolite 103's
Jet Hot stock manifolds
EGR delete
105 lb Valve Springs

My last trip to the track (first with this setup) was a test run. I was looking at 4 chips Darth Fiero gave me to work with. I cOULD NOT get traction to save my life, 2.0 60's all day. BUT I managed 12.9's@109mph. My mph tells me I should have run at least 12.7.
What kinda trans are you using? Is it a OBD 1 or 2 system? Going to help you get the most outta your car if I can.

Traction was very good. Mostly due to the Intense LSD and 265's (P-Zero, not drag radial). I'm running a DHP OBDII-PCM with an XP Cam flash, and am VERY happy about it. You can barely tell it has a cam due to a reduced lope tone. Although it roars with the SC scream very nicely!

I have a 1" TB spacer, WCF headers (w/ header wrap), no cat, EGR delete, HVAC delete, 4T65E-HD auto, autolite 104's, OR pushrods, 105# springs, Borla exhaust, Jacob's coil pack, Taylor 8mm wires, K&N (soon to be CAI) and a DUB pulley set (3, 3.1 and 3.25"). These runs were with the 3.25" to make sure I didn't break anything. Zoomer says that most GP guys that are running XP cams use the 3.1 for daily driving and the 3" with race gas (no IC needed). I'm tempted to go IC, but fear the install. Perhaps you could help me in that dept. this winter. heh

A + for your help!

Greg

PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
awesome runs

the IC isn't really as bad as it seems, time consuming yes. I keep debating when I should hit the track a few times

------------------
Fiero Formula | MI Street Scene | AudioFreeze | CarDomain

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Questions: what was the crowds reaction once you'd beat-up on those cars you ran against? Or from the owners? Did they no about past Fieros beat'n up on them?

Good legal kills and with heavy rims.

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Questions: what was the crowds reaction once you'd beat-up on those cars you ran against? Or from the owners? Did they no about past Fieros beat'n up on them?

Good legal kills and with heavy rims.

Thanks for the kind words. My wife was in the opposite crowd, and from the gossip even she thought I wasn't going to win (being my first time, and all). She talked a lot with this old guy that talked her ear off about all the older V8's as they did huge burnouts. She pointed to my car, and he wished her good luck when I raced the mean looking Monte Carlo. She screamed as the twinkly lights appeared on my side of the scoreboard. After I picked up my slips, I drove by lines of gawkers and got a few claps. I had no clue that I won until I got the slip. It was icing on the cake after that adrenalin rush.

I kept to myself the first time around because I didn't know how well I would be treated after the races. I'll be much more social next time around.

Greg

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
I had some guy try and tell me helped build a supercharged northstar that ran 9's. I think I would know about that car. Ipolitly told him I had an lt1 and went to race again. I had quite a crowd though.

Oh, I had a good guestimate on my rims today. They have to weigh OVER 50lbs each. Ill find out tommorow.

lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilDirect Link to This Post
Its nice to see another fiero at the track! Its the best way to get our cars noticed! Sweet car and sweet setup you have there. with those mods you'll be in the twelves for sure. jus give yourself some practice. how did you get 265 rubber on the rear? coil overs? I seriously need wider tires on mine to get better traction. did yo use any race gas? put a gallon of 111 octane in your tank before you make any runs and let the car sit and cool off for an hour or so if you can. It will definitly make a difference.

hope this helps

------------------
Earl Sessions
1985 Fiero w/ 1998 Supercharged 3.8 V-6
Best ET:3.0 pulley 12.44 @ 109.19mph
2.75 pulley 12.20@ 110.90 mph

"NO Juice....Just BOOST!"

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Its nice to see another fiero at the track! Its the best way to get our cars noticed! Sweet car and sweet setup you have there. with those mods you'll be in the twelves for sure. jus give yourself some practice. how did you get 265 rubber on the rear? coil overs? I seriously need wider tires on mine to get better traction. did yo use any race gas? put a gallon of 111 octane in your tank before you make any runs and let the car sit and cool off for an hour or so if you can. It will definitly make a difference.

hope this helps

It helps a lot... I just got a tip to go to the local airport with two 5gal gas tanks and say that I need the 110oct gas for my 4 wheeler. The was the gas my mechanic had in it when it was delivered. There is no cat to plug up with the leaded fuel, but I do have one O2 sensor that may prematurely fail. The second O2 sensor is being spoofed.

I have an 88 rear cradle with coil-overs. It glides down the track, and I get virtually no noticeable spin. I used a tip by FieroX to bypass the water... Skip the burnout, but back up and spin it a little to get the grit off the tires. The results were very good. I can't wait to see what #'s can be achieved from PB'ing, 110oct + a 3" pulley. I hope to get into low 12's, but with the weight and novice driver... I'll be happy with 12's.

Greg

FieroGTguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

hope this helps

Put Ice on the Blower. Changed my time from 14.0 to 12.9. It almost felt like a different car.

[This message has been edited by lowfierogt (edited 09-25-2004).]

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Punisher:

How do you figure that? The way I look at it, the gap between the cars keeps getting bigger all the way down the track, and the Fiero has a higher trap speed, too.

Distance Gap
60' 0.091
330' 0.672
1/8 mi 0.869
1000' 0.959
1/4 mi 1.022

I'm not a drag racer, though, so maybe I'm missing something. Fill me in if you care to.

Nice runs, FieroGTguy! From the rest of the comments here it looks like 12s are easily within reach. Good luck and let us know when it happens.

------------------
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom roll cage and exhaust fabrication

wetpoop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wetpoopSend a Private Message to wetpoopDirect Link to This Post
nice runs. feels good doesn't it? I just took mine to the track also. It was my first time ever, and now I am hooked.
PFF
System Bot
SOULCRUSHER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SOULCRUSHERClick Here to visit SOULCRUSHER's HomePageSend a Private Message to SOULCRUSHERDirect Link to This Post
With the SC3800, you DEFINITELTY need to let the car cool down, especially if you drive some distance to the track. Me and LILdevil drive 45 minutes to the track, and usually have to sit in a line to get into the track for at least 20-30 minutes. So they get some heat in them. We used to run them right off the street. Until we noticed that if you let the car cool down before your first run, say for an hour, you will pick up almost a 1/2 second! If you run right off the street and keep making runs, the car never sufficiently cools. YES, ice on the blower helps alot, but watch for the water melting all over your motor, the guys at the tree may see the water dripping and pull you out of the box.
I use 104 unleaded gas from the track, and it also will give you excellent results. It usually takes a run or two for the PCM to pick up that the fuel is there, but I have seen .3 second improvement from the gas. All this talk abouyt racing, can't wait till Friday to give mine another try, cannot get traction with this new motor. Still got a 12.9@109mph, so you see by my mph, I should be in the mid twelves at least, and so should you :!
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doug Chase:

How do you figure that? The way I look at it, the gap between the cars keeps getting bigger all the way down the track, and the Fiero has a higher trap speed, too.

the scooby gaines some mph on the fiero up top. it was accelerating faster even though the e.ts might not reflect that

Soulcrusher. with a 109 trap speed you should actually be capable of running low 12's esp if you launch well.

Fieros are notorious for having low mph but quick e'ts. a 109 trap means that with a good hook you should be in the deep 12's. mph tells how much hp you are making. You are def making quite a bit. I would guess aorund 360 crank or so.

SH

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock