Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  thecage's series III 3800s/c swap. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
thecage's series III 3800s/c swap. by PBJ
Started on: 09-06-2004 03:27 PM
Replies: 83
Last post by: PBJ on 10-18-2004 10:32 AM
PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Instead of email updates for "thecage" we thought PFF updates would work well for easy viewing. As well as share some information and pictures to inspire. The 86 GT 4 speed standard is the car, the engine is 2004 Grand Prix GTP 3800 s/c series III.

Not much technical info yet, I have only had the car for a couple of hours

Pete

[This message has been edited by PBJ (edited 09-06-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Hey Pete, I didn't know you did 3800 Swaps too! I might have another victim for you next year and I like the looks of that chop top at the front of your driveway
DotTC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Hey Pete, I didn't know you did 3800 Swaps too! I might have another victim for you next year and I like the looks of that chop top at the front of your driveway

Dont ya just wish you had one? beautiful..

PBJ, look forward to the updates.

------------------
1988 Aero 88 coupe.. 2.8l v6.. more mods to come.
Photo Gallery - Fiero Links - WebShop

NYfastback

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NYfastbackClick Here to visit NYfastback's HomePageSend a Private Message to NYfastbackDirect Link to This Post
2004 Grand Prix GTP 3800 s/c series III
OMG
Does anybody have any numbers on that thing in a fiero?
88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't the series 3 have electronic throttle control? Have you figured out how to get around that?
Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I'd run it OBDII or OBDI and you could use a N* throttle body. The GTP guys are loving the Gen 5 blowers with the N* TB's .

------------------

My Cardomain page
www.FFDET.com
Please rate me if I've been helpful...

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DotTC:

Dont ya just wish you had one? beautiful..

He never should have dropped it off.. LMAO!!!!
Yeah, Tell us about the throttle control... How..??
Thanks for sharing Pete!

------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!* *FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*
*~* 4.9L-V8*~*Pic's Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!!

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
I always enjoy the next "victim" to go under the knife bring them on! And yes that V8 chop top is just sitting there waiting for its owner to enjoy it.

The updates should come real soon. Although we are going to Fierorama this weekend that will delay the swap a bit.

Yes it does have an electonic throttle control, that part will be removed and adapted to another, yet to be decided which one. The idea for the swap right now is stock and build up the hp down the road when the stock excitment dwindles. As if that is possible

I have been in contact with a couple of 3800 swapper here with thier advise in the area of engine management, and will give details once the plan comes together, I am not the first to swap a series III.

Pete

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Hey PBJ, where would one find the series III, as well as what is going pricing on a complete motor such as you have there, if I may be so bold as to ask.

I have been looking around, and have yet to actually find one.

I cant wait to see more about this swap! GL!!

--Allen

------------------

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
mcaanda: The engine was supplied by the car owner (thecage) but in order to get a series 3 you would have to find a 2004 vehicle willing to give it up As for the price of this engine....I did not ask, but I can say it still has the original oil filter on it, so I am sure its worth more than I could afford

Pete

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone, yes that is my car and it's new heart. I just want to say thanks to Pete & Becky + Jordan&Tyler for making this big leap into the next phase of the car's makeover. I have been thinking of a swap now for a couple of years and was torn between the 4.9 and 3800 SC. Sometimes the decision is made for you. A good engine just happened to become available and I thought it was a good opportunity to jump at it. Low mileage 14,000Kilometers and pretty much all intact except computer. I would like to thank Joe & Frank at Racetech for helping me find this beast. I would also like to thank everyone else I contacted regarding this swap for your help and wisdom (there were quite a few of you and you know who you are) Pete was contracted to do the swap because he was available to do it right away within 2-3 weeks approx. not to mention his outstanding talents. This was important as I wanted it done asap before the end of October as I have finally got my painter of choice to committ to painting the car, after hounding him for a 1.5 years. I didn't want to do any major work like that after I got it painted. So let the swap begin.

Gabe

PFF
System Bot
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
So I'm jealous. Way to go on finding such a cool engine.

Just for the record, (which you are sure to set)

What were the stats for your GT in stock form, just for comparison?

Arn

[This message has been edited by Arns85GT (edited 09-06-2004).]

FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Well, it will look something like this.. >>

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Unless you have been some reading about ETC, you will need to study some to make the OBDII P4++ VCM work on that manual transmission right. The 24 pin connector has inputs from the transmission that are needed to work the TAC.

See this document for other details.

http://www.fastfieros.com/tech/delphi_etc.htm

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 09-06-2004).]

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Arn

I have taken the car to the track but have never run it down the track. I think I can safley say there would be no comparison.

Stock 86GT 4spd (low 16's maybe high 15's) is my good guess.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Cool,

That's quite a jump from totally stock 2.8 to screaming 3800sc

Will this be a stick or auto?

Arn

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I always loved the 3800 sc engines..... I was soooo close in picking one up at fosters auto crushing.... There's a 2004 wrecked one in there yard in the new car area with one in it I have no idea if it was a sc 1 2 or 3 tho.... If I can haggle the owner down in price on the thing it will very well be going im my next fiero project then I will have 2 fieros They also had a northstar in there yard. I wish I was able to crank it up to here it run but they drain everything out the cars and take the batteries out.
riley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rileySend a Private Message to rileyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

I always loved the 3800 sc engines..... I was soooo close in picking one up at fosters auto crushing.... There's a 2004 wrecked one in there yard in the new car area with one in it I have no idea if it was a sc 1 2 or 3 tho.... If I can haggle the owner down in price on the thing it will very well be going im my next fiero project then I will have 2 fieros They also had a northstar in there yard. I wish I was able to crank it up to here it run but they drain everything out the cars and take the batteries out.

did series 1 run up to 1996? and series 2 run to 2003? and the 04 and newer cars all have series 3?

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by riley:

did series 1 run up to 1996? and series 2 run to 2003? and the 04 and newer cars all have series 3?

just the Grand Prix GTP/Comp G got the series 3 rest got the L67.

series 2 started in 96-04 (excluding GP's)

looks like it'll be interesting I know my friend just got done with his series 3

------------------
http://formula.cryptnix.com

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
Hi Gabe,
Nice new toy you got there. Gonna be ready for the last october cruise?
Pete,
How hard would it be to turbo a 3400?

------------------

3400 87 GT
shmokin'

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Arn

It will remain the 4spd manual tranny

Adam

It should be ready for that October cruise, then it goes into paint shop.

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I can't wait. This is sooo.... cool

This will be one potent street machine.

The only question I have is, just how long will the tires last?? -just kidding.

Arn

Originally posted by thecage:

Arn

It will remain the 4spd manual tranny

Adam

It should be ready for that October cruise, then it goes into paint shop.

PFF
System Bot
Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Wonderful, wonderful! More sheer awesomeness to drool over at the October Cruise!

That is going to be an awesome car.

Brad

------------------

Ohhhhhh yeahhhh!

Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post
So when it's all done "will he race me or won't he?"

Becky

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Only if Pete agrees to pay for anything that breaks. Can't afford to spend anymore money than I am already. Besides I don't want to get beat by a girl.
Her86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Her86GTClick Here to visit Her86GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Her86GTDirect Link to This Post

Only if Pete agrees to pay for anything that breaks. Can't afford to spend anymore money than I am already. Besides I don't want to get beat by a girl.

Then I guess we will never really know what your car can do. Ah Pete will fix it for ya. Better to have it break on the track then on the highway when you try to accelerate past a nice competitor. That's what I say anyways. But I really don't think you will have a problem. Ok knock on wood.

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2004 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

Haha. Most people a St Thomas Dragway are use to getting beat by a girl But for sure if you break any fabricated part that we build for your car at the track that night, it will be fixed!

The flywheel is now machined and ready to go. The car has passed its emissions test and ready to go.

We are off to Fierorama first thing in the morning and will not be back to Monday. The 2.8 engine should be pulled out Monday.

Pete

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Update time. Fortunatly pictures are worth 1000 words cause I am tired

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2004 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Her86GT:

So when it's all done "will he race me or won't he?"

Becky

I'll race ya. But we both know what the outcome will be or do we?

[This message has been edited by linenoise (edited 09-14-2004).]

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Now i getting excited !!! Seeing all the action. Thanks for the update Pete.
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
looking good Pete.
Are you gonna keep the coils in stock location or move them? looks like the decklid might hit them?
linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
I demand an update, and Pictures too!
PFF
System Bot
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
curious myself pete..how much to do an install of a 3.8sc series two....would be going into an 86 se 365 4 spd...thanks tim...pm me an estimated cost....
thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Just to let everyone know the status of the swap. Pete I'm sure will jump and give anymore details. Pete is just waiting on some parts so he can continue the install. Flywheel is apparently ready. The spec 3 clutch is on it's way. The GN fuel pump is on it's way. The fuel pressure regulator is on it's way. The 3.4 pulley and new belt is also on it's way. Pete should have all these part's hopefully by the weekend or very early part of next week. In the meantime I believe the mounts and other stuff is being fabricated. I will do my best to keep everyone updated on other stuff. A new throttle body is also required as Pete is going to use a 99' throttle body to get around the series iii fly by wire stuff. I believe Pete has located one at a reasonable price.

Gabe

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump of choice: 1987 Grand National, excellent flow with excellent pressure for a reasonable price. Here is the part # for those who need one. It comes included with eveything required for the fiero.

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2004 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xDirect Link to This Post
I take it this replaces the one in the tank? was PSI does it run at?
linenoise

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PBJ:

The fuel pump of choice: 1987 Grand National, excellent flow with excellent pressure for a reasonable price. Here is the part # for those who need one. It comes included with eveything required for the fiero.

Very very Helpful. Thanks

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2004 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump will be controled by an external rising rate bypass fuel pressure regulator that can be set from 30 to 70 PSI. Here is todays purchase. An ecm

PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Lots of work done today. Some pics.

3.4 overdrive pulley

Cross over pipe mode for 4 speed cables.

Series III to series II t/b adaptor.

Installed and sitting in the car.

The clutch!

thecage

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thecageSend a Private Message to thecageDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update Pete. Keep those pictures coming it's the only thing that keeps me going being so far away from my baby. I miss not seeing her in the garage. Keep up the good work fella's. I believe there is not much else to do except the wire harness and cold air intake which is on the way. Also installation of the exhaust setup without the cat.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Update,

Started off the evening header wrapping the modified cross over pipe.
Removed stock V6 air filter box assembly.
Removed all engine hoist brackets off engine along with the last remaining extra items.
Replaced the stock fuel pump for Grand National fuel pump.
Swapped out for correct knock sensor.
Began building dog bone/ignition module bracket.

Not alot of major work done tonight but all the little stuff seams to take awhile to get done.

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock