Started on: 09-01-2004 09:53 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: fiero go fast on 09-06-2004 02:38 AM
sonic50

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
I have been thinking about putting a hud in my car and I would like to see pics from other peoples to see if I like it or not
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
Sonic50 - I installed an HUD unit in my '87 Fiero GT last year. But, it is not one from another Pontiac. Last year one of the guys on the forum ( Bob Williams) was making an HUD senting unit which easily connected to three wires inside the instrument POD. The readout was just MPH, nothing else. The unit was tricky to place properly and I used a 1 1/4 x 1 inch piece of glass painted black on the back to reflect the speed back exactly at eye level. The small piece of glass is positioned at the upper edge of the driver's side (of course) speaker grill, just in front of the front window.
The thing works great, is absolutely accurate and is bright and clear, more at nite than in bright daylight which often washes out the reading. I don't know if Bob is still making the units, but his address is:
Bob Williams, 70 Kennedy Drive, Attleboro, MA 02703.
I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them or e mail them to you. Ed

------------------

sonic50

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sonic50Send a Private Message to sonic50Direct Link to This Post
thinks, how long did it take you to install it
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
I remember a guy last year post about putting a Pontiac HUD in his Fiero, Got it done in a day I think....David Bartlett I think his name is. Maybe do a search using his name....

Dragon1/Brian

cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Here is a recent link about HUD's https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/044987.html If you haven't already, you may try using the search feature of the forum. Hope this helps

Chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
Sonic50 and HUD guys - The following is a not so good pic of the HUD in my '87 Fiero GT. Clearly it is a much simpler version of the HUD available as an option on many Pontiacs. But, it has the
MPH read out and that's all I care about. Anyway it works well and is great at nite. Ed
Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post

Firefighter1

452 posts
Member since Apr 2003
OK - I'll try again. If the pic doesn't show up this time, I'm going to bed. Ed [img]https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/HUD6_1.jpg">[img]http ://images.fieroforum.com/pffimages/HUD6_1.jpg[/img]
88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
I think this is what you ment to post

------------------

Firefighter1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Firefighter1Send a Private Message to Firefighter1Direct Link to This Post
Yes - that's it, thanks 88GTNEWB. I guess my old 1980 Radio Shack TRS 80 just isn't up to the task? Anyway that's it. The sending unit is recessed into the instrument POD and is almost invisible from the driver's seat, almost level with the top of the steering wheel. The small piece of glass is 1 1/4" x1"- for you slower drivers, a 1"x1" piece is OK, only shows two digits. Ed
MikeH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHSend a Private Message to MikeHDirect Link to This Post
I also purchased one of Bob's HUDs and installed it in my 87GT. I really like it at night but like was said before its pretty well useless in the sunshine.

Mike

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MikeH:

I also purchased one of Bob's HUDs and installed it in my 87GT. I really like it at night but like was said before its pretty well useless in the sunshine.

Mike

I also got one, have yet to have a single complaint.

Matt

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock