Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  WELP THIS IS JUST DANDY :( I must have the worst luck.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

WELP THIS IS JUST DANDY :( I must have the worst luck. by 86fieroEarl
Started on: 08-31-2004 10:08 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: 86fieroEarl on 09-01-2004 09:06 AM
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Welp I decided to take my fiero out to the junkyard to see if I could find a clutch pedal assembly for my 5speed conversion.... Something told me not to take this thing to the place, This place has terrible roads..... Welp After hitting a bump hard I hear a clank sound the car still ran fine so I thought noughting of it and continued to the junkyard, Welp on my way back I hit the main road and start cruising alone when all of sudden I smell burnt oil then my oil pressure drops to noughting and I see a big cloud of white smoke trailling behind.... At this time im like a half a mile home so I limp it home and quickly pull it in the drive way to open the garage after that I pull into the garage and quickly shut it off.

As far as I can tell I either popped a hole in the block were the oil pump is or something else.... Right now im cleaning up the oil because it's everywhere then I will see exacly what happened but as far as I can tell it don't look good at all.

BTW do anyone have a cheap 4.9 or 4.5 to sell

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

This is after doing a little cleaning its all over the bottom near the tranny side and a big trail going down the street to my house

And a puddle it leaves for only sitting a second.

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Damn. Hard luck, Did it start knocking?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Nah it didn't knock.... I shut the thing down as soon as it hit inside the garage so it might not be a total lost and might be repairable..... Im right now cleaning the oil up in the engine compartment to track down the problem.... Tommorrow im going to pull the oil pan to check things out.

I think I can be thankful for using synthetic oil. But I wont beable to start it into I trace the no oil pressure and leak.... So far I pulled the air filter off and saw no oil in the throttle body........ And the smoke was comming from the engine compartment not the exhaust so that's another good sign.... But I shall find out tommorrow after oil pan removal.

The leak or problem is somewere on the tranny side were the dist is and stuff.

paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you busted an oil pan or the oil sending unit. Good luck with it.

------------------

AIM-jaxpac257

Wolfhound

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WolfhoundClick Here to visit Wolfhound's HomePageSend a Private Message to WolfhoundDirect Link to This Post
My guess is a hole in the oil pan.
The axle would sling the oil on the distributers side.
I,d check that first
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Welp I was going to call it quits for today but this was bugging me so I went out and filled it with oil.... I had 3 quarts of cheap 10 30w oil and restarted it for a quick sec then shut it down..... I beleive this would be the reason of losing oil pressure. Im glad it happen almost on the way home instead of out in the boonies.... Another bug that needs to be worked out I guess.

It seems after hitting the bump the heat shield gashed the oil cooler line and hence me losing oil and oil pressure..... One good thing about these 4.9s there very forgiving for running a half a mile with low to no oil inside the crank case.... The good thing is when I went to restart it still didn't knock.

And I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section.... This is the chat section... Sorry about the error and thanks for the input all. + s for all.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 08-31-2004).]

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Glad you found it without too much damage. Never ceases to amaze me how people keep driving their cars just so they can get home regardless of what is wrong. I have been guilty of it myself. It might of cost you a new engine but I hope not.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:
And I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section.... This is the chat section... Sorry about the error and thanks for the input all. + s for all.

Well, I don't always make it to 'Tech' so I am glad to see the thread here! It lloks like the fix won't be too hard, and hopefully no damage was done...
Main reason I clicked on this is bcz I thought you might have squared off against SH and popped something... (hoping that wasn't the case mind you...)

This will probably give something for all 4.9 owners to look out for. Are you a part of the 4.9 Cadero list on Yahoo groups? Those guys would have a definate interest in this thread.
Oh yeah... and (+) to ya for keeping it respectful in that thread with SH/JM.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm glad it wasn't too bad a problem. It also makes me glad that my oil cooler is sitting in the driver's side rocker out of harms way.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Cool. I'll make sure I keep an eye on mine. Hope all keeps turning out okay.
PFF
System Bot
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
One more reason to simply plug the fittings and not use an oil cooler at all. We have ours capped on the Finale and see no need to use an oil cooler. IMHO, that oil cooler is there to help with dragging around a 5,000 pound car. If you want to use one, good for you, but for me, I see no need.

John Stricker

PS: Ed Parks agrees with my assessment.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

One more reason to simply plug the fittings and not use an oil cooler at all. We have ours capped on the Finale and see no need to use an oil cooler. IMHO, that oil cooler is there to help with dragging around a 5,000 pound car. If you want to use one, good for you, but for me, I see no need.

John Stricker

PS: Ed Parks agrees with my assessment.

This is one time I disagree. IF the GM engineers decided that one was required for the motor, I'm running one! GAWD I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:
This is one time I disagree. IF the GM engineers decided that one was required for the motor, I'm running one! GAWD I LOVE AMERICA!!!!!

The engineers decided that motor needed an oil cooler...in that application. Like John said, hauling around two and a half tons of car is quite a bit different than a one and a half ton Fiero. Of course, if you want to put 2,000 pounds of sandbags in the Fiero to bring the weight back up perhaps the oil cooler would become very important.

JazzMan

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Okay, whats with the "welp"'s ??
As far as the oil cooler goes, aside from the occasional glitch I dont see where it could hurt, plus its always good to be a little cooler, its even more effective to cool the oil than the coolant
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2004 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

Okay, whats with the "welp"'s ??

His was CRYING... I would have been to at that time... I hope it all get's better Earl...

Steve

------------------
*Custom-Shaved HandBuilt!!* *FIRST-EVER CHOPTOP-WIDEBODY GT!!*
*~*going 4.9L*~*Pic's Coming Soon! Stay Tuned!!

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, allow me to dive in with my view on this interesting oil cooler topic. From what I understand based on education and experience, GM uses oil coolers on engines that are going to see "heavy duty" use. Now the term heavy duty can mean a couple of things because I have seen oil coolers on some 3500 lb corvettes and camaros, but have also seen them on 4000+lb trucks and cars as well. From what I understand, you need an oil cooler when your engine is going to be working hard (heavy loads) or it is going to be seeing sustained, relatively hi-rpm use (highway driving with low gears). For example, I have seen pleanty of late 80's F-body V8 TPI cars come with oil coolers, but some did not. Those that did usually had 3.23 or lower (numerically higher) gears, while the cars that came with 2.73 diffs did not have a cooler at all, even with the same size engine.

In other words, if you have a 4.9 in a Fiero with a caddy trans and the caddy gearing (2.73-3.06), you probably don't need an oil cooler. If you are running a manual trans with a final drive of 3.65-4.10, I think it would be a wise choice to have an oil cooler, at least if you run cheap oil. Now with that being said, OIL TECHNOLOGY is a lot better than what it was just 10 years ago. So if you are using a high quality conventional or synthetic-based motor oil, you probably don't need an oil cooler anyway. In fact I can remember reading some literature that came out sometime in the early 90's about how GM started using Mobil-1 in the Corvette which they said made oil coolers on the corvette unnecessary.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 09-01-2004).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
But when it looks this cool, why not have an oil cooler???

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Im about to head out to the garage and take the oil cooler off for the time being, Actually it has been noughting but problems... If your clamping the lines and there longer than 1 foot then you might have the same problems.... That pump pushes out high volumes of oil and in the pic you can tell how the small gash created oil to go everywere.

At the time of this happening I was running synthetic anyway.... And I bet that's what saved this engines life.

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post09-01-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Or purchase one that size

PFF
System Bot
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

Or purchase one that size

It's from a 300ZX twin turbo.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2004 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
alright good news guys..... I refilled the system with some cheap 10 30w This oil wont be perminant but I wanted to see if this was the problem...... after refilling it I disconnected the ign coil so I can crank it and run the oil through the system.... Then started it..... At first there was a small knock that quickly vanished then ran fine..... My oil pressure is back to normal and runs fine again.... Now I need to clean up the engine from oil and the crossover exhaust wrap on this thing will take forever to burn the oil off.

it burns no oil and hums like it did.... Im going to run the cheap stuff with the oil stabilizer for 50miles then replace with mobil 1 synthetic again... Pluss It gives me a chance to run cheap stuff through it to clean out the engine What caused this was simple it was no nick but the hose did continue to touch the crossover making it brittle and finally bursting.

Now time to prepair for another freaking hurrican.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 09-01-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock