4.9 Swap How Much $$$??? by neghcho
Started on: 08-13-2004 02:34 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: neghcho on 08-13-2004 04:53 PM
neghcho

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neghchoClick Here to visit neghcho's HomePageSend a Private Message to neghchoDirect Link to This Post
Alright... I've got a hypothetical question for those of you who have done the 4.9 swap. Let's say i've got the donor car (93 Deville), and the fiero (86 gt) that will recieve the 4.9, and i'm going to do all the work myself. Want to keep costs down, how much more money will I have to spend to get the 4.9 mounted and running? To reword the question, what do I NEED that the donor car won't have?

-Shaun

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
well i think that you could theoretically do it for under 5000 dollars. seeing as you already have the engine and the donor car. the average 4.9 swap up here in canada is ballpark 5000 dollars. And remeber thats walking up to the mechanic giving him your car and saying "here, i want a 4.9 in 2-3 weeks time" and thats it. but if you have the engine and car already thats not to bad at all.
neghcho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neghchoClick Here to visit neghcho's HomePageSend a Private Message to neghchoDirect Link to This Post
I said "I will be doing all the work myself"
Panama Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Panama JackSend a Private Message to Panama JackDirect Link to This Post
It took a little less than 3 grand (parts only) to do mine (more expensive than some because I went with the 88 cradle with Held coilover rear suspension and I replaced most of the rear end on my 87GT). Then add labor to that...

My engine (4.9)/transmission (4T60e)/computer (2240) were $600 - 88 cradle and suspension were around $850 - exhaust work was around $750 - then there is a boat load of 'other' parts that filled the rest of the $3000.

[This message has been edited by Panama Jack (edited 08-13-2004).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Let me try and add this up the best I can.

Starter- $60
Alt- $120
waterpump the good one- $60

I can expect your doing wiring yourself - $750 bucks saved

Trans fluid $23
oil - $30
plugs and wires - $60

Paint, clamps, Bling bling ect $200

Grandam rear brakes- suggested* $90

Oil cooler- $50 free if you have the caddy unit.

About $160 in axles

For mounts if you have a welder then about $75bucks that includes the gm poly mounts.

If you don't have a welder then you will have to get a pair from bubbajoe, Edparks or kento

$150 for bubba joe $300 for eds comes with tensioner ect and $75 for kento's if you send him the tranny to engine bracket to be modded for engine mounting(better in my opinion) or $100 I believe if you need them custom made without sending the tranny to alt bracket.... I don't know you would have to pm bubbajoe or kento.

$300bucks in emergency things that may break fund.

Exhaust setup with welder......... $250 with tips in all

Without welder can be anywere from $400bucks and up.

About $1550 bucks without the price of the 4.9 engine and tranny or without the price of the fiero you have. about $1750 + without the right tools.

That with the right tools, cherry picker, wrenches, Grinders...... ect and knowledge you can actually be about

Out of all of this I know I left some things out. Bottomline There is no way to be under $1000 dollars if this is one of your first 4.9 swaps.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 08-13-2004).]

neghcho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neghchoClick Here to visit neghcho's HomePageSend a Private Message to neghchoDirect Link to This Post
Can the stock 4.9 starter, alt and waterpump not be reused? Plugs and wires? Axles? Solid mount to cradle?
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neghcho:

Can the stock 4.9 starter, alt and waterpump not be reused? Plugs and wires? Axles? Solid mount to cradle?

Generally after sitting a little while the water pump, starter and Alt can develope problems and it is a WHOLE lot EASIER changing them with the motor out of the car.

You will need to change axles as the Stock Caddy ones are not the correct length or spline configuration for the Fiero Hubs.

No, you do not solid mount it, The Mounts use Poly GM RWD Tranny or Dodge Truck Rubber Mounts.

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

neghcho

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neghchoClick Here to visit neghcho's HomePageSend a Private Message to neghchoDirect Link to This Post
what kind of axles are needed?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock