4.9 Tranny by 4.9 PFI FIERO
Started on: 07-09-2004 02:16 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mastermind on 08-28-2004 02:32 PM
4.9 PFI FIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 PFI FIEROSend a Private Message to 4.9 PFI FIERODirect Link to This Post
As i stated in my first post, I'm going 4.9. I just need ya'll help in figuring out which road should i take? The car is already a v6 auto.
Which tranny from what car should i use?

Auto (pros and cons) (caddy or fiero) etc.
4 spd (pros and cons)
5 spd (pros and cons)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
if you go auto i would go with one of the 4t60's (4speed auto)

the 4speed is a slightly stronger transmission and you have a couple of final drive gear choices

5speed you'll have a longer top gear for highway...

these days i've been leaning towards auto

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
If you go auto You will need new axles reguardless of the 4 spd you use.

DO NOT USE THE Stock FIERO 3SPD! it is junk when used with the 4.9

4 spd Manual too short gearing, not well suited for the power band and rpm range of the 4.9.

5 spd Getrag better but 5th is kinda short for the RPM Range.

5 spd Isuzu, Im using and it seems to fit the RPM range well, 1st will be a little short but I will have to live with it.

When using the Fiero Manual trannies you do not need Axles as you use stock. You will need a Custom Flywheel though.

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2004 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I think the Pontiac 6000 tranny works as do some others from larger cars.

There are some non-Fiero trannies that do really well if you are doing auto.

If you want strong, the Fiero Muncie 4 speed is strong, but the gearing is 3.65 final. Not a highway cruiser, definitely a streetlight warrior.

Arn

4.9 PFI FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2004 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 PFI FIEROSend a Private Message to 4.9 PFI FIERODirect Link to This Post
im thinking about going stick but concern about torque power and waisting clutches
twentyeight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2004 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for twentyeightClick Here to visit twentyeight's HomePageSend a Private Message to twentyeightDirect Link to This Post
If your car's already an auto I'd have to say go with the caddy tranny. It's fitted specifically for the 4.9 and matches the rpm range well. Gas milage will be much better with it. I don' tknow that I'd want to tackle a 4.9 and manual conversion at once... I'm staying stick because it's in my car already. Just converting to a 2.8 manual would be difficult enough.

However, I'd really have to say 5 speed would be the best for me. Caddy tranny would probably be better suited though.

4.9 PFI FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4.9 PFI FIEROSend a Private Message to 4.9 PFI FIERODirect Link to This Post
bump
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I am a die hard stick guy but I went with the 4t60e auto with my 4.9, for all the reasons stated by Twentyeight...my car was already an auto, the auto is stronger and the ratios are better suited.

I had my 4.9 done for me so I didn't want to have to deal with a manual conversion and I didn't want to have a tempermental clutch. The only way I want a manual behind a V8 is if I do the conversion myself, that way I can be prepared to replace the tranny, as I feel will eventually be required.

tn88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tn88gtSend a Private Message to tn88gtDirect Link to This Post
If it's auto, stay auto...the 4T60E is a significant upgrade over the stock tranny and adds an overdrive gear for more pleasureable highway driving than you're used to with the 2.8. If you can, try getting an engine/tranny from an Eldorado of the same vintage---from what I understand, they have a lower final drive.
Mastermind

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post08-28-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

I decided to stay with the caddy auto trans with my 4.9 which already had a auto trans. Most every expert on the 4.9 agrees that the caddy auto trans is best suited for the 4.9. However, like everything it's all about which you prefer to drive auto or stick.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock