Polishing Taillights by Key Of David
Started on: 06-01-2004 01:05 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: vlatus on 09-10-2004 09:22 PM
Key Of David

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
I have an 84 SE I recently obtained and the taillights are in desperate need of polishing. I remember seeing a thread of someone sanding/polishing/tinting his and then putting LEDs in the middle in the shape of "Pontiac". It was also a notchback. I have looked for this thread but I can't find it. What grit sandpaper is best to sand them with and what do I use to polish them with? I have 1500 grit paper already.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
I recently had my car painted, and a friend has a body shop where we did the rub out. He used some kind of polishing compound for paint with a power buffer, and the taillights look like NEW.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Me thinks you are talking about me. Well, I can't tell ya what grit sandpaper was used on them, but I can provide a link that explains what I did to them.

Polishing them makes them look good, clear coating them makes 'em look awesome.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036520.html

And here's a link that has a few more pics.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041736.html

Eric

------------------

Used is such a harsh term. . . I perfer "Previously obsessed over" ;)

88 4 cyl 5 speed: All show and no go
86 SE V-6 Turbo 4 speed: All go and no show

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
The need for sandpaper will depend on how badly they are scratched. If its basically swirl mark level scrathes that are dulling the surface, sandpaper really isn't necessary. If there are deeper scratches, I would use a very fine wet sandpaper like you would use on a painted surface such as 1000 grit, 2000 grit. Nothing that will remove much of the plastic.

If you use sandpaper, go easy on the lights, and rub with an even pressure in large motions so you don't cause a flat spot. Use a hose trickle on the paper to keep it clean while you are rubbing (an assistant helps a lot with this!). Once you have sanded it and you dry it, its going to look horrible. DO NOT PANICK.

Get yourself some 3M paint polish, and an orbital buffer with a cotton buffing pad (a drill will work ok on the taillight since its not painted, and you won't really burn through, but I would still recommend an orbital buffer). Then use the 3M polish liberally and buff on the taillights until you pull the fine scuffs and scrathes from the sandpaper out. It won't take too long using the machine to pull the light scratches out. Then I would use either a wax, or maybe McGuire's polish from their 3 step system to really smooth them out and make them look good. As a final step, throw a coat of wax on them and they will look great!

PS, if you do not sandpaper them, just move straight to the 3M polish and the orbital buffer.

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 06-01-2004).]

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I used to use Meguiar's #1 swirl and oxide treatment and then I found Meguiar's plastic restorer. The plastic restorer works very well indeed. It fills those hairline scratches and restores the shine.

If you have actual scratches right in, rather than the light kinds of swirl marks you get, then sanding might be needed, but I wouldn't unless I had to.

Getting the milky look out of sanded clear plastic is really a pain.

Good luck.

Arn

Key Of David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 04:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Racingman24:

Me thinks you are talking about me. Well, I can't tell ya what grit sandpaper was used on them, but I can provide a link that explains what I did to them.

Polishing them makes them look good, clear coating them makes 'em look awesome.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036520.html

And here's a link that has a few more pics.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/041736.html

Eric

Thanks Racingman

I saw your thread and your taillights looked excellent! Don't know why search wouldn't bring it up. I may try your advice Fformula88. Where would I get 3M polish?

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
i need to polish my tailights and i'm trying to find Megiuar's plastic polish?
where can i find it, besides their website? i've been to autozone and
o'riellys and they don't have it. i can't find any name brand plastic polish anywhere.

thanks,
toms...

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Most Auto or Boat Supply Stores carry it.
------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 09-03-2004).]

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
So you have to use this special polish for clear plastic? The regular polish for paint won't work? I've heard both ways, so I'm wondering which is right. I have a couple extra tail lights I can experiment on.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Take your chances, but the 3M was developed specifically for plastic, I know I'm impressed with how good it does work and last.
WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

Tom recommended these products to me and showed me how well they worked on his tail lights. His lights look brand new. I would try this first.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2004 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I do tailite and HEADLITE (the plastic type) lenses all the time. I wet sand them with 1200 paper. Then use 3M rubbing compound with a buffer. Then go back over them afterwards with the 3M plastic polish. Headlites that looked like parking lites look clear and brand new. Next time I do some ill have to post some before and after pics. I just did a Voyager minivan yesterday.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post

i still can't find that stuff.

maybe i'll have to order online somewhere.

thanks,
toms...

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2004 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Whenever I paint a car, I run the buffer over the taillight and sidemarker lenses and they come out looking like new. If you have scratches in them, very fine wetsand paper before the polishing does the trick, as others have mentioned.

Mark
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
I was playing around with some Meguiars Scratch-X and thought I'd try it on a corner of a tailight. Hmmm... Looks good. Did the whole thing with a soft cotton towel and a little Scratch-X; rub until it squeaks and it's perfect. Taillights look like new again!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2004 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Any body shop supply store should carry all of 3Ms products.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
i finally found the 3M stuff at NAPA.

i sanded the tailight with 1000grit and then 2000grit.
looked kind of dull but when i put that cleaner and
the polish i was quite impressed.

how often should i clean and polish the taillights?

i took the taillight apart and there was this black adhevise
stuff is that stuff factory and what can i use to replace it?

thanks,
tom.s

sublime922

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sublime922Send a Private Message to sublime922Direct Link to This Post
i know this is slightly off topic to this, but i have a 93 grand am whose headlights are almost yellow.....im not sure whether or not they are glass or plastic but i am thinking plastic.....only problem is that i think some of the yellow is on the inside....would this work on a clear headlight or would it just make it hazy?
vlatus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2004 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vlatusSend a Private Message to vlatusDirect Link to This Post

YES! This stuff is awesome. I use it too.

Vin

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock