Started on: 05-07-2004 12:41 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: Joe Torma on 09-02-2004 04:57 PM
Joe Torma

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I've been making progress on dash #2...and since you all like pictures...

There are many little features that contributed to the design(form following function) and some things may look a little odd, but there's a plan for it all

I've drafted my girlfriend's help in designing/making it, and things are actually taking shape. I give her the choices and let her decide what to do, otherwise I'd sit and stare at it for hours.
I'll be adding more pics later.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
I'll tell you one thing... Your wood working skills look pretty awesome. Can't wait to see the rest.

Bob

atwrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for atwrkSend a Private Message to atwrkDirect Link to This Post
Thats cool!! Keep us posted on the progress. Very nice job so far.

------------------
Blue 87GT
Black 87 Base (sold)

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Its always nice when someone thinks "outside the box." Nice job. It may visually look akward now, but when its finished...youl'll be happy. Mine sucked big time at first, but I love it now.

Question: are you covering it in Fiberglass, right? or are parts of it will be covered in leather?

The visual display monitor, does it pivot? If not, the cops may give you a ticket?

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-07-2004).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Looks GREAT Joe!!!!!

Be sure to put your stickers all over it !! j/k

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Spray for termites joe...
Just messing with yaz-
If you can do the double stitch high quality leather thing it will look great.
It looks like a dvd display satelite radio display in the middle.
good luck bro-finish it soon
OUT>
Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
:wow: That is very cool!
Keep us updated.
Ditto on the swivel comment.
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by G-Nasty:
Spray for termites joe...

I was waiting for that
It's all MDF which is very easy to work with.
Thanks for the comments..helps with the motivation

Madcurl(I really like your dash btw). yes, if you noticed that bracket and thought it swiveled, you have a good eye. It also allows for something else, which I'll snap a pic of later. It does look a bit awkward., but I'm at least happy with the direction this dash is going in. With the 1st dash, I thought to use the stock dash as much as possible, but it made things heavy and ugly.

Does anyone have the weight of a stock dash, btw? This dash, is actually pretty light for being all wood. I can remove some more material too(done a lot already with all the lightening holes you see).

I am thinking it will be painted, with some vinyl on the bottom so I don't beat it up. then I'll put decals all over it like revin said

I read an interesting article, that makes a lot of sense, that said fully painted interiors aren't that good for sound quality(something I'm going for). The sounds bounces around and some frequenceies can cancel eachother out...not good...makes it sound like a boom box in a bathroom. So even though the dash will be painted, the headliner and most other areas will be vinyl and carpet. Also, let me tell you...I won't give away the angles , but the soundstage is INCREDIBLE with the speakers where mine are(spots discovered with dash #1) !

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 05-07-2004).]

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your gauges are getting a Z-axis treatment! .......looking promising!

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Looks good, Joe... but where are the cup holders?!? haha

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:
Looks like your gauges are getting a Z-axis treatment! .......looking promising!

Thinking about it! If I have the tach in the middle, speedo on the right, gas/temp on left, placing them lower than the tach, I can place the AUX guages behind the tach and see them without a problem....how to light them up is going to be the issue. I do have lots of EL sitting around

Cupholders...damn...knew I forgot something. No idea where to put them. I'm having enough trouble figuring out where to put the air vents

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 05-07-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Cup holders.......do please get them. Your dash won't be complete w/o them! I used Street Works bullet cup holders. You already know where mine are located. There are no pics of your center console? Not many other good locations other than were mine are located. Some have incorporated them within a slide-out above the stereo system.

Anyway Street Works # is 860 859-0513 if you decide to the cup holders? The cups are big enough to hold large size drinks for those long trips.

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
that sounds good...do you have pics of them(and a couple of your dash too please!) or a web site?
The center console hasn't been started yet. I dumped the old one of that too.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joe Torma:

that sounds good...do you have pics of them(and a couple of your dash too please!) or a web site?
The center console hasn't been started yet. I dumped the old one of that too.

Songman's web site has better pics here. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040235.html

Here a old link (4) page where the cup holders are viewed. Enjoy

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/032834-4.html

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 05-07-2004).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
A little more progress...

I've been spending too much time trying to figure out how to make that swiveling screen to look like it belongs there...more progress with that maybe tonight.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 05-26-2004).]

SaLvAgEd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaLvAgEdSend a Private Message to SaLvAgEdDirect Link to This Post
very cool!
ZeroC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeroCClick Here to visit ZeroC's HomePageSend a Private Message to ZeroCDirect Link to This Post
HURRY UP AND FINISH ...
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

AI've been spending too much time trying to figure out how to make that swiveling screen to look like it belongs there...more progress with that maybe tonight.

Awesome work Joe, this makes the firebird dash look like child's play. Obviously you are going to have a touch screen and a car computer. The whole thing is going to swivel out...pretty cool. I'm sure you will figure out how to make it look cool.

- Jonathan

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Coupe (Daily Driver), 1985 SE (Project Car), 1985 Coupe (parts car), Firebird Interior Installation Website

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2004 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Threads like these always put a big on my face

good work! Keep posting your progress.

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Well...it's getting a little heavy now. Up to 24lbs, 30 with that big monitor bracket. I can remove quite a bit of the structure though. Does anyone know what a stock dash with gauge cluster and radio surround weighs? I am trying to keep the weight down.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Well...it's getting a little heavy now. Up to 24lbs, 30 with that big monitor bracket. I can remove quite a bit of the structure though. Does anyone know what a stock dash with gauge cluster and radio surround weighs? I am trying to keep the weight down.

Not sure about your question, Just wanted to tell you that it is looking great!

Are you going to f'glass over it all or make a mold to re-sell them..??

PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Awesome work Joe, this makes the firebird dash look like child's play. Obviously you are going to have a touch screen and a car computer. The whole thing is going to swivel out...pretty cool. I'm sure you will figure out how to make it look cool.

Thanks Yup, 10.4" touchscreen and computer. Not only does it swivel, but it slides completely over to the passenger side! At that point you can access the DVD drive behind it.

I like the firebird dash a lot...you did an incredible job, btw!

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Joe Torma

3485 posts
Member since Jul 2001

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:
Not sure about your question, Just wanted to tell you that it is looking great!
Are you going to f'glass over it all or make a mold to re-sell them..??

Thanks for the compliment! I think it looks a little(read: very)awkward.

No fiberglass, no molds planned.

Ok, here's the big tip of the day. I don't know why anyone else hasn't mentioned or tried this, and I'm sure I'll see 100 wooden dases appear soon but... if you design, sand, prime and paint MDF/Hardboard properly, you can forget about fiberglassing it(inside stuff of course). As long as your joints are secure, no cracking, no problems. I'd rather start with a straight material like hardboard than mess with fiberglass for hours and hours...the difference between this dash, that is actually coming together quickly, and dash #1.

More secrets: Bondo/Bondoglass loves to stick to the wood, and the wood gobbles up automotive primer...and makes a great paintable surface(after sanding).

There are my secrets..no charge

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 05-27-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the insight Joe... Looking good!
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
How do you make the wood bend into curves like that?
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
My magical ability to bend wood.

Yup, my magical bucket, masking tape, spring clamps, glue and 24 hours.
Hardboard "gives" and holds it's shape after about a day. There are a few tricks to making it work though.

Look ma...no nails or screws! Less problems after painting that way(screws/nails pulling through) !
I did have to piece the top(not happy about that) but the seam was filled with bondoglass and should be ok.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 05-27-2004).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone have the weight of a stock dash, btw?

According to my bathroom scale, the original dash with air duct (for the vents) weighs 13 lb. That doesn't include the instrument cluster, or any of the console pieces. I think the front console piece is around 5 lb. I haven't weighed the instrument cluster.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-27-2004).]

88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
buddy, im in commercial construction... I have some pretty good woodworking backround, but that dash is by far the most creative and intricate pieces of work I've ever seen that is even interesting... very nice... It'ts only getting better

GR8 WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep it up... Dont stop with 1...
you could start a buisness doing that... espically if you found a lighter material

------------------
1888 Notchback, L4 (Red) **Soon To Be Donor**
1987 Notchback, L4 (White) **Work In Progress**
1977 Corvette, 350 **Setting until '87 is complete**
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/610461

[This message has been edited by 88GTFormula (edited 05-27-2004).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks!
I have a cluster somewhere I can weigh.
88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
How long have you been working on the dash approximatly ?

------------------
1888 Notchback, L4 (Red) **Soon To Be Donor**
1987 Notchback, L4 (White) **Work In Progress**
1977 Corvette, 350 **Setting until '87 is complete**
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/610461

cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Man the dash is looking good. That is a lot of work and I am sure will be a work of art when finished. Gotta say though, the weight of the wood will help your Fiero front/rear weight ratio
keep up the good work!
Chris
PFF
System Bot
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88GTFormula:
How long have you been working on the dash approximatly ?

The basic frame(underside) went together in a few days. The rest has been like one part a day...I'm half designing as I go, plus waiting for glue to dry isn't productive either...maybe a month now, a couple hours a night...if I get to it.

The real time consuming part has been trying to make it work and look decent. I'm trying to keep the sound stage the way it needs to be, and integrate a computer system into it!

I suppose when I'm done and happy with it I could just use it as a mold to make it out of fiberglass. But fiberglass doesn't tend to be the lightest stuff either,sometimes. There's another way that's easy, but I fear it won't hold up to the heat and sun exposure(heat).

I can take plenty of material off of the substructure yet(heh...keep telling myself that) I made it extra sturdy to start with so I could flex and glue all that top stuff. I'm planning to remove most of the underside of the curved top piece, which is "scored" 1/2" MDF it was scored so I could easily bend it to match the curve of the windshield. I'll drill lightening holes in everything else...the underside won't look pretty...but it doesn't have to

I'm glad you guys actually like it.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
I think I like it . Here's some food for thought Joe:

1. Cupholders, but I don't remember what car these came stock on

2. An audio installer once told me there was software made for people with dis-abilites who drive. This included voice-activated turn-signals, etc. Sorry, but I have no leads but maybe someone here has heard of this for your computer installation.

Keep up the good work ..

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 05-28-2004).]

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
I like that cupholder idea!!
I can put that on the passenger side. Unfortunately to fit the DVD drive in the dash, and make the touchscreen within reach, the center console is a bit close to the shifter. Thanks for the lead on the software!

I've started to drill lightening holes...interesting 25 1/2"holes =.5 lbs!! I think I'll save about 2-3 lbs that way. I also took out much of the unnecessary material and got it down to 23lbs. of course it's not done, but I think it'll be about 25 lbs when done which is about the SAME as the stock stuff!!! Stock dash+center console+guage cluster: 13+5+6=24lbs! Not so bad, eh?!

Some hidden lightening holes+ flange glued for guage hood:

Guage hood glued in place. I think a larger curve may have looked nicer, but this doesn't get in the way and still looks pretty good I think. I'm going to router a nice edge on the piece that surrounds the guage pod...and smooth it into the base a little. Bondo glass filling in the gaps.

One more...

[EDIT] I forgot to add in the LCD bracket weight...+6lbs oh well.

[This message has been edited by Joe Torma (edited 06-01-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
Looking nice - always good to see someone creating something original
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

You GOTTA be a cabinet maker. OR, just gifted.

Looks great. Keep up the progress,

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show @ Pontiac, Mich - 7/2003
Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 8th Annual Fiero Fun Weekend @ Daytona - 3/2004

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Your skills are amazing. And this dash could be also a perfectly built buck for a fiberglass mold! If weight is an issue; I guess a fiberglass version will weigh less than 1/3 of the wooden trimmed version. MDF is relatively heavy and you will have to seal all wood against moisture or cracks will appear sometime later. Happened to me. But the dash is lookin' sexy!

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 06-01-2004).]

soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Hey Joe, it looks awesome!!

I was wondering if you can give any more info on the type of wood you used to bend, the thickness, etc.

And also, how about did you bend it? Do you have a steamer? Do you just use a heat gun?

Any info would be great, cause I am having trouble with my gauge hood, I was holding off till I could find some polyurethane foam, and I was just going to shape that and then fiberglass it, but if I can just bend wood like that, it would be 100 times easier.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Joe - excellent work! Keep the updates coming - we'll see this thing done some day!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
That's looking really good, Joe. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock