Started on: 06-10-2004 07:03 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: naskie18 on 06-17-2004 04:36 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Got an itch for information today, so I headed down to the Saab dealership...
I poked around a 9-3 Aero 6 speed and talked to the service tech who let me look through service information.

The transmission is built in Germany and has a dual output shaft design. I'm almost positive it's a variant of the dual output shaft Getrag used in the Ford SVT Focus.
It uses a push/pull/turn single shaft shift mechanism like the HM282.
There's a counterweight on the shift linkage that will probably have to be retained if the transmission is transplanted into a Fiero.

The service literature said that the transmission is designed to continuously transmit 400 Nm of torque. 400 Nm is approximately 300 ftlbs. The HM282 is rated for 200 ftlbs and withstands between 300-400 as long as the driver isn't too abusive. If this transmission is rated for 300 ftlbs, perhaps it will handle 500-600 as long as it isn't grotesquely abused.

The clutch mechanism uses a hydraulic release bearing inside the bellhousing.

Currently the transmission is used on the turbo Saabs and only has an Ecotec bellhousing. Next year GM will be offering this transmission with the pushrod V6 and the standard front wheel drive bellhousing. Once that happens, I will be procuring one of these transmissions for my car.

code:

Here are the ratios:
Gear Ratio Split
1st 3.77
2nd 2.04 0.541
3rd 1.32 0.647
4th 0.95 0.720
5th 0.75 0.789
6th 0.62 0.827
FD 3.91

The down side...
While the splits for 3rd-6th gear are nice and tight, the 1-2 and 2-3 splits are not very nice. The 1-2 split is especially atrocious as it is even wider than the 1-2 split in the HM282. The 2-3 split in the 6 speed is slightly wider than the 2-3 shift in the HM282.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-10-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
brian89gp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brian89gpClick Here to visit brian89gp's HomePageSend a Private Message to brian89gpDirect Link to This Post
I've been looking for information on this thing for a while. Thanks for the info.

Does the Saab tranny use an intermediate shaft like the W-body 282 and 284 do? And do you know if the G6 is getting the 5 or 6spd version?

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I didn't really look, but I think that I remember that it does. I would assume so since every GM manual since before '90 has used one.
The Saab axles are BEEFY.

------------------

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

brian89gp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2004 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brian89gpClick Here to visit brian89gp's HomePageSend a Private Message to brian89gpDirect Link to This Post
I had went onto the Saab forums but those people are completely clueless. I am looking at something as a replacement for my 284 when it dies. The Saab is about the only affordable alternative.

How is 6th or reverse run on these things? A 4th gate or what? Extra shift cable and lever?

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2004 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
So, does the Saab WRX look like an Impreza from the side or what?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by brian89gp:

I had went onto the Saab forums but those people are completely clueless. I am looking at something as a replacement for my 284 when it dies. The Saab is about the only affordable alternative.

How is 6th or reverse run on these things? A 4th gate or what? Extra shift cable and lever?

The Saab box will get even better when the V6 version comes out. It will have the right bellhousing for one thing. If we're REALLY lucky, they'll even fix 1st and 2nd gears.

6th gear is straight back from 5th and Reverse is in its own gate to the left of 1st. Still only two shift cables.

------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The Saab box will get even better when the V6 version comes out. It will have the right bellhousing for one thing. If we're REALLY lucky, they'll even fix 1st and 2nd gears.

6th gear is straight back from 5th and Reverse is in its own gate to the left of 1st. Still only two shift cables.

shift pattern like a fiero 4 speed only with an extra 2 gears on the right - sounds good to me

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

So what you're saying is that I'll need that, eh?

When's that supposed to come out?

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0402_first_pontiac/

2005 G6, with the GTP model having 250 HP V6 and 6 speed borrowed from Saab.
Since the 250 HP V6 is 60 degree 6 based, it will have the "standard" GM transverse bolt pattern, so the 6 speed will have to have a matching bellhousing.

------------------

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
so what are the speeds you'd have to shift out with that gearing?

is that a plus if they put it on the G6? it'll be modified to fit that or no bellhousing.. but anything else would it work for us? If this worked I think we'd have a bunch of happy people

[This message has been edited by LoW_KeY (edited 06-15-2004).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Shifting speeds for 1st through 4th would be approximately the same as a 282 with 3.94 final drive (IOW, about 9% lower than with stock Fiero gearing). 5th in the Saab transmission is about the same as 5th in a 282 with 3.94 gears. 6th is slightly taller than 5th in a 3.35 Isuzu box.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0402_first_pontiac/

2005 G6, with the GTP model having 250 HP V6 and 6 speed borrowed from Saab.
Since the 250 HP V6 is 60 degree 6 based, it will have the "standard" GM transverse bolt pattern, so the 6 speed will have to have a matching bellhousing.

See, now the only problem with that is that I might as well just opt for the 250HP V6 instead of the 3800SC I was going to do.

Same performance, no blower, thus not premium thirsty

Nick

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

See, now the only problem with that is that I might as well just opt for the 250HP V6 instead of the 3800SC I was going to do.

Same performance, no blower, thus not premium thirsty

Nick

doesn't sound as neat, I'd opt to pay 20 cents, forced inductioned motors are so easy to mod when it comes to smaller engines anyways, course the power might do you fine I say I won't add power adders but I usually do

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2004 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by LoW_KeY:

doesn't sound as neat, I'd opt to pay 20 cents, forced inductioned motors are so easy to mod when it comes to smaller engines anyways, course the power might do you fine I say I won't add power adders but I usually do

But if I get ambitious I could always throw a blower on that

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock