Started on: 05-29-2004 11:04 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierosound on 05-30-2004 07:45 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
My system had a "hole" in the midbass that I could not tune out properly. This was because in my 3-way system I was using a 5.25" MB Quart for midbass and a 4" for midrange. At the time OZ Audio only made subwoofers, and MB Quart didn't and still doesn't make midbass speakers. MB Quarts systems are usually 2-way (tweeter and 5.25" or 6.5" midrange/midbass), and have a reputation for lacking in the midbass area.

My kickpanel boxes were built when I installed the MB Quarts (below). I had to trim the front panel so that the OZ Audio 5.25" midbass would fit into the countersunk area. On the right is the trimmed box, stuffed with polyfill, ready to go.

Here is the OZ Audio midbass installed. I installed a screen over the speaker before reinstalling the carpet over it.
The carpet is perforated in the speaker area to allow the sounds out.

I made use of the 5.25" MB Quart midranges, by swapping them with the smaller 4" ones in the dash location.

Sounds pretty good so far. Excellent midbass and the front soundstage is higher up with the larger midranges.
I'll be leaving it as is for a couple weeks, so the OZ midbasses can break in. It'll then be time to RTA and retune the system. Should be excellent after that!!

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - August 1, 2004 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-30-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
neyven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neyvenSend a Private Message to neyvenDirect Link to This Post
Dang, I didn't think it could get much better I'm in the process of tuning as well (the part i hate and am never satisfied with) with the new amp (works awsome btw) and the new headunit that was desprately needed. And one of these days i will finally get around to installing the other sub and rear fill.

------------------

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Question for you fierosound: can you mount 5 1/4 inch speakers on the rear pillars where the original 4x6's go? any help is appreciated! thanx.

------------------
I am the owner of an original yellow 1988 pontiac fiero GT, (wingless) bought it with 95k miles, i got a heavy right foot, 3rd owner and a very proud also....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Those kick panel enclosures look great. I like the fact that they are hidden versus some that look like huge growths coming out the side of the car.
DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
anything under the dash speakers for a box? or going free air on them? I love having 5.25s p there.. really does the job!! Looks great!! I'm going to be diving into custom door pods some day. L8

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by roys88fiero:

Question for you fierosound: can you mount 5 1/4 inch speakers on the rear pillars where the original 4x6's go? any help is appreciated! thanx.

If you find the RIGHT speaker, it could be made to fit. A 5 1/4" coax that doesn't have a HUGE magnet as is less than 2 1/8" deep.

Check websites for Pioneer, Pyle, Crossfire

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by jscott1:

Those kick panel enclosures look great. I like the fact that they are hidden versus some that look like huge growths coming out the side of the car.

Thanks. You also don't have to worry about feet scraping up a grill of busting a speaker. But this would not be good for a midrange & tweeter setup. The carpet would absorb the high frequencies. Mid-bass and subs can fire through easily. In fact, many cars with trunk mounted subs fire THROUGH the back seat. Back massage anyone?

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15144 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by DjDraggin:

anything under the dash speakers for a box? or going free air on them? I love having 5.25s p there.. really does the job!! Looks great!! I'm going to be diving into custom door pods some day. L8

Free air. Pretty much anything other than midbass and subwoofer are designed for free air.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock