Started on: 04-19-2004 10:04 PM
Replies: 72
Last post by: fiero-iwan on 06-27-2004 04:45 PM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is the pics of the damage. It looks like there was a lot of stress on the tranny mount and cracked part of the cradle. That cradle is cracked in that one spot but it can be fixed. The poly mounts look like the culprit but I dont know for sure. I think its a combination of a spec clutch, poly mounts, and a stiff suspension. What do you guys think if I ran stock rubber mounts and put another Getrag behind this setup? It bent the hell out of that Tranny mount in the pics. Tell me your diagnosis people. Thanks. Anyone else running poly mounts with the Getrag? I have a chance at another Getrag possibly but I dont know for sure if it is even worth the hassle.

-Amir

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3800 Series II Supercharged In & Running.....

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/
CarDomain Website: http://www.cardomain.com/id/rare87gt

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 04-19-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TaurusThug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
DAMN!!! thats all i have to say

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk
www.XoticRydz.tk

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
That'll buff right out!!!

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

animuL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animuLSend a Private Message to animuLDirect Link to This Post
I'd just like to add... HOLY CRAP!

[This message has been edited by animuL (edited 04-19-2004).]

FieroHarry

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion, judging by the way the casing is damaged:
1) Internally something cut loose (gear,shaft) which in turn caused
A) The trans to lock up {complete stop} which was followed with a shattering of the casing.
B) The trans coming to a complete stop caused the damage to the mounts/cradle.

Just my 2 cents and 30+ years of experiance........ Take it as you see fit!

PS That was either some very wicked NOS or you hit a dry spot during a wet burnout, or maybe you just got a lotta balls in your 3800SC!

[This message has been edited by FieroHarry (edited 04-19-2004).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Not really that much balls. A stock 3800sc with a 3.4" Pulley that's it!
jim123185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim123185Send a Private Message to jim123185Direct Link to This Post
What do you plan on doing with this transaxle Amir? I'd like to see it in person after you get it out. PM me.
FieroHarry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Not really that much balls. A stock 3800sc with a 3.4" Pulley that's it!

Well brother maybe that trans had seen better days before you tried blasting it with your engine swap !

[This message has been edited by FieroHarry (edited 04-19-2004).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I dunno. Im just wondering how that tranny mount decided to get bent and stuff. What in the world would do that. I thought the poly mounts were suppose to be strong as hell.
FieroHarry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Yeah I dunno. Im just wondering how that tranny mount decided to get bent and stuff. What in the world would do that. I thought the poly mounts were suppose to be strong as hell.

When it went out on you did it lock up the tires? If so the stopping of the rotating mass (All at once)did the damage!

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
How's the engine mounted? What kind of torque strut are you using?
PFF
System Bot
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-19-2004 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
I tend to agree with FieroHarry about something breaking up inside and jamming the tranny,it had to be under some serious stress for it to bend the mount which cracked the case.
Dissemble the tranny and look at the internals before trying to switch to an automatic.
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post
Kinda makes you wonder huh!!!
Amir, did you flog the heck out of it when you got it goin????\
Damn!, Or were you just trying to woop Ryan? haha

------------------

email: fierodustin@yahoo.com
PROJECT: 86 GT with a 3800SC Series I
My Home Page

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
hmmm. next time hit 4th, not reverse.... j/k

damn dood, u blew the hell outta it! thats one way to give you a reason to work on it...

gotta give you props though, ive never seen a getrag blown up before

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 04:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Ive always said autos are better
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
From the photos posted, it would appear to me that the failure was caused by severe stresses externally to the case (not internal), in other words the trans was moving more that the engine due to how both were mounted. Does that crack in the cradle appear fresh, doesn't appear so in the photo. Hard to tell from just a coupe photos, but this appears to be external forces at work. Be careful how you observe that failure, with that much case damage, no doubt it caused internal damage when parts weren't aligned right. Just my opinion.

------------------

0 to 75 Audio http://www.cartsys.com/fiero/cal-engine.wav

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 04-20-2004).]

LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYDirect Link to This Post
yikes..

polly mounts everywhere on the car, and I've been driving it a bit crazy the past 2 days. Checking to see if my problems gone and it appears to be, injector cleaner works wonders.. think the gas stabalizer screwed with me.

I'm a bit leary of rubber from the torque and hp the motor puts out, that'll flex a lot more then polly ever dreamed of. Quick example when I pulled the 3.4 out the motor moved quite a bit, dad and I stuck the new motor on there with polly it wouldn't even budge. I believe it does a tiny bit that its broken in.

I'd say go with what you feel comfortable with, tough call I sure as heck wouldn't even know which route to go. I love the 5spd it shifts unbelievably smooth in every gear for me and people have told me thats odd for a fiero. Go with what your gut tells you, look all the stuff over see if you can figure out what happend.. if not hit up the auto and try that.

ok I'll shut up now its really late for me and I need sleep so I'll quit rambling on

------------------
88 5spd Modified 3800 Series II Supercharged Formula

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
ouch! Looking for Band-Aid.
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Way to go Ryan j/k

Amir, what I said in the other post(tech) might help ya out!
I am running the poly WCF in the front and rubber on the other three mounts. That engine don't move!

Burn outs? Man, I never do that when racing I might tear up the tranny or clutch. Did I say my car is faster than yours? haha
Just get the other 5-sp and slap it in ! (Don't let ryan help ya or drive it again!!!! )

------------------

98 3800SC GTP motor,3.4 pulley, Getrag 5sp.
custom hood, trunk, side scoops, IRM front spoiler, 17" excel's , dk.Shadow Grey

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

From the photos posted, it would appear to me that the failure was caused by severe stresses externally to the case (not internal), in other words the trans was moving more that the engine due to how both were mounted. Does that crack in the cradle appear fresh, doesn't appear so in the photo. Hard to tell from just a coupe photos, but this appears to be external forces at work. Be careful how you observe that failure, with that much case damage, no doubt it caused internal damage when parts were aligned right. Just my opinion.

That's what I tend to think. If there wasn't a good enough torque strut, the drive train could have twisted, causing the case the crack. Or if some mounts were more solid than others, or even the cracking of the cradle could have been the cause, not an effect.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by revin:
I am running the poly WCF in the front and rubber on the other three mounts. That engine don't move!

Be careful. The rubber WILL flex more than poly, and that could cause problems.

PFF
System Bot
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I had heard that.

But all in all my set up is in there "solid-ly" mounted by 5 mounts as opposed to just the 4 points of contact. so I should have the cradle crack first I would hope.

Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
My dad is a TV mechanic he has an awsome set of tools, we can fix that.
Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post
1) That is a VERY common place for an '88 cradle to crack, I've seen several like that, one with the whole mount area ripped completely out. Torque monster that did that? Stock 2.5L.

2) The "poly is hard on stuff" theory doesn't seem to pan out in the real world. From what I've seen, it's the "play" you get with rubber (gives some 'til it loads up, then hits hard...like a slide hammer...) that seems to do more damage than solid mounting. Most of the cracked cradles, broken brackets, etc. were accompanied by some worn out mounts.

3) The front mount/cradle damage was very obviously NOT caused by the tranny locking up while driving...unless he was backing up REAL fast.

Party on---

------------------
Jeremy B.

Our experiences and our opinions differ. No problem; we can agree to disagree. However, please don't take the position that anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.
---MrPBody

GTFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
i say thrown in another getrag and see were you can possibly mock up and add more mounts to the engine. Do you have a torque strut up top? if you dont, add one, it will help greatly. looks like the engine was able to twist while the tranny held solid in place, something had to give on the tranny side and looks like it was the casing that chose to give

------------------

Carbed 2.9 engine build in progress. forged pistons, crane cam, fully balanced, ARP bolts, double roller timing chain and more
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

lou

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louDirect Link to This Post
I have had the same thing happen twice. The differential grenades and the case cracks, this only happens when you have good traction. The last getrag was beefed up and had a phantom differential; it also cracked the case. You need a 4t60 or 4t80 with an aftermarket computer to handle V8 torque. I suggest using solid mounts all around and a torque strut.
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Also, I dont think it was metioned. Just because a tranny was rebuilt doesnt mean it's stronger. Alot of times once a tranny has been opened and dissasembled, it doesnt always go back together as strong as stock. I used to have tranny problems in my mustang due to the amount of power that was added. I went through six T5's. The best one I had was a low mile, bone stock that hadnt been opened. My experience is stock, unmolested is usualy best. Although I agree it looks more like a mounting/twisting issue, but you'll know better when you open it up.

I would say get a low mile unmolested getrag and install it making sure everything is okay. LTI88GT is running his LT1 with his stock Getrag with 175k miles on it. He has had 15k trouble free miles sence the swap. He also admits to beeting up on it some. This is at least a 300hp corvette engine.

I drove it and it was solid. Do what makes you feel best, but I agree that your car needs the 5 speed. It just fits it. Good luck!

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
You might want to consider replacing the poly mounts with solids. I think anything over 230 ft-lbs should either be solid-mounted or should use the mounts from the swap vehicle if possible. LS1Swap used the LS1 rubber mounts successfully in his car.

My car also has a SPEC stage III with a Getrag and has quite a bit more power than yours, and there is no evidence of cradle, mount or transmission case problems in nearly two years, and it is solid mounted.

------------------

- Electron Blue '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 1): Before After 430hp ZZ430 V8/Ram-Port FI--Wanna Race? Follow it here on the Forum!
Pics, Vids, Specs & more at the ZZ430 Fiero webpage
- Silver '88 GT 5-speed (1 of 139) w/cammed 3.4
- 480hp 2001 6-speed Navy Blue Corvette Roadster

[This message has been edited by crazyd (edited 04-20-2004).]

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the poly mounts were at fault in this case. I am not dogging the Getrag at all. I believe it is every bit as strong as it should be. In this case it looks like a failure of too much movement and in relation to the cradle and the poly mount twisted itself in a big jolt at the line at the track. So instead of poly or rubber I should go ahead and solid mount everything with the auto. The auto tranny will take some of the load off the cradle and mounts, but in return will just be a better track car as I am wanting something that is a little easier to drive. I loved the 5spd but hey I guess I found out the hard way of something not setup right.

-Amir

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/019244.html

Either that or try some stronger mounts. the ones fromt he above post would be nice because he used stronger brackets instead of the stock ones like your using. personally, I'll be solid mounting my V8. At 400lb-fts, I dont want anything moving. Except the car of course.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
Wouldnt solidly mounting things cause the metal to fracture and then pull apart? I'd think you'd want some play to cush any shock...

James Z

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I've seen damage like that before, Usually it's differential failure, the spider gears will usually shatter long before the case gives out, and in many cases, burnouts and excessive tire spin will cause the differential pin to erode and eventually fail. Either case it will blow the transmission wide open. I have a picture of a Honda transmission that exploded in that manner. I will post a picture of it when I get home from work
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
interesting
i mean i've ripped the metal trans mount bracket in half a couple times and had to reinforce it with 1/8" steel throughout
but never have damaged the cradle
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

I've seen damage like that before, Usually it's differential failure, the spider gears will usually shatter long before the case gives out, and in many cases, burnouts and excessive tire spin will cause the differential pin to erode and eventually fail. Either case it will blow the transmission wide open. I have a picture of a Honda transmission that exploded in that manner. I will post a picture of it when I get home from work

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you if the trans had a fair amount of miles on it, but he claims the trans was rebuilt 17,000 miles ago. Any part wear or possible wear flaw should have been detected when the trans was torn down for rebuild.

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by California Kid:

I certainly wouldn't disagree with you if the trans had a fair amount of miles on it, but he claims the trans was rebuilt 17,000 miles ago. Any part wear or possible wear flaw should have been detected when the trans was torn down for rebuild.

Tom it was rebuilt 17,000, but to what extent I have no idea. I am assuming just the normal stuff that would be replaced in a transmission (flywheel, clutch, t/o bearing). I really doubt that the tranny was gone through so I have no idea. The tranny had 120,000 miles on it when I bought the car so I would assume that the differential bearings and everything else inside had the same amount of miles on it. When we put the Spec Stage III in it and new flywheel and t/o bearing nothing else was replaced at this point. This would add to the reason it failed, but I still think the mounts had a big deal to do with it. I plan on adding another mount on the engine side.

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 04-20-2004).]

StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
Geeezzz... I've been running solid mounts on mine for almost 2 years, with much luck, as of 2 minutes ago anyway... "knock on wood" Looks to me that you might have external mounting issues, perhaps there was alot of torsional torque on the case..

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 ;)

FieroHarry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroHarrySend a Private Message to FieroHarryDirect Link to This Post
I still say (looking at picture #2) that your gear's grenaded on your and blew out the case..............

You'll know more after you tear it open!

87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2004 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/019244.html

Either that or try some stronger mounts. the ones fromt he above post would be nice because he used stronger brackets instead of the stock ones like your using. personally, I'll be solid mounting my V8. At 400lb-fts, I dont want anything moving. Except the car of course.

Thanks for noticing the mounts and sharing the kind words.

Unfortunately, Amir has shared the best pictures of why the stock transaxle brackets are not really strong enough for the additional torque of an engine conversion.

------------------
Bill Levin

Danno88GT5Spd

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Danno88GT5SpdSend a Private Message to Danno88GT5SpdDirect Link to This Post
It looks as if the cradle cracked allowing the mount to move side to side enough between shifts and extreme power to ground transfer on your run down the strip to crack the housing. The force and weight transfer of the motor/trans is 100% intended to go straight into the mount/bushing/cradle. It looks as if the trans shifted enough, after the cradle cracked, and the trans housing took more of the force and weight transfer directly on that side of the housing.

I'd say 100% the cradle is at fault here, and Bill's stiffiner is a great option to further strengthen that poorly designed weak spot on the cradle.

Good luck with your fix let us know what happens!

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-20-2004 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
That is why you use these bolted to the engine and cradle and adjust them and you will be problem free.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 04-20-2004).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock