Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  My hood scoop project....PROGRESSION PICS (AND FINISHED) (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
My hood scoop project....PROGRESSION PICS (AND FINISHED) by My7Fieros
Started on: 03-12-2002 09:20 PM
Replies: 122
Last post by: Fie Ro on 04-12-2004 11:47 AM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
I made my cuts with a fibre disk on a Dremel, as a result the cuts were only as deep as I needed and it was relatively easy to cut out the supports.

Good luck with your project, lets see some pictures when you can.

Ira

IP: Logged
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2003 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
will do, buddy.

Kruz

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I guesss you could call me lazy about the subject but will someone please give me the measurements for the blocks of wood. Thanks in advance.

Kruz

------------------

These are the Kruz'n Machines:
'84 SE 2m4 (PROJECT CAR that runs perfect)
'87 GT V6
'83 Mint Dodge Ram 150 Royal

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
whoops forgot one more question. How did you guys fill in the open sides of the scoop?
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
bump

kruz

Unsafe At Any Speed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2003 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post
same question as above
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
I chose a different route for my hood scoop project - I took the bubble off another rear decklid - reversed it cut an opening out and blended it into the hood.
you can check some pics of it here
(pardon the unfinished page - its free and i just use it to host my pics for online use)

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 07-16-2003).]

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KRuzn MAchines:

whoops forgot one more question. How did you guys fill in the open sides of the scoop?

I would asume he used glass cloth on the underside then once it hardened bondo'd the top side smooth

85fierowiks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fierowiksSend a Private Message to 85fierowiksDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the idea guys... im going to take my hood off right now

------------------
85 se Black 5spd manual trans
***IT'S THE PROJECT***

AIM: INSOMNIA6ZERO
E-Mail: INSOMNIA6ZERO@yahoo.com

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2003 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
how many layers are needed when glassing. Another question how long does it take to cure??

Kruz

------------------

'87 GT V6

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2003 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
cure time depends on humidity - temperature - and the cure time as stated on the resin you purchase they have everything from 5 minute to 2 hours resins
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2003 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KRuzn MAchines:

how many layers are needed when glassing.

Kruz

I used 4 on my hood... Curing time depend's on ALOT of thing's...

------------------
Said Hulki, "You had to look at the Fiero not as
a car, but as a process."

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I have a small problem on the hood scoop project. First off I got it to where i cut the wall that seperates the hood down enough to where there wouldnt be no problem with the hood landing with the new scoop. Now I put it down to see how it would look and BAM, problem number 1... It looks like the hood wont close all the way. So i go in and check and trim out some more on the wall. I measured it and it looks perfect. Wont fall still. I pull the headlamp door up on the left side cause that side of the hood looked like the problem. the hood jumps down a little more when i pull the hood lamp door up. So now I got about 2 inches of space i still cant figure out. Especially when the hood is closed. It has nothing to do with getting the hood aligned, this i know for sure. Any ideas??? I'm thinking about taking the left headlamp out, since the right is already out right now too. Other than that I'm open to all opinions.

Kruz

------------------

'87 GT V6

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Just a suggestion, remove the headlight doors from your hood until you have fixed any alignment issues, then bolt them back on the already mounted hood. Only two bolts each and your job will be alot easier.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-21-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
First time working with fiberglass, quite an experience. Here is a view from below:

Here is above:

Ira

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
I didnt follow the first page directions right I think. I used the glass on the top with the fiberglass sheets and then I put the body filler which was still needed over that. I now just have to wait for it all to dry to sand it. I'm not sure if I messed up or not. Anyone have any clues?

Kruz

P.S. I like how that shower part worked out, Ira.

------------------
Call me Kruz

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post

KRuzn MAchines

1102 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Another quick question, what kind of primer is best used afterwords. I have more mods to be done to the body so it will be sitting there for awhile just primed and not painted. Is there a special type of bondo primer I need to use. I will be having maaco do the painting in the end when the entire body work is done. Thanks!!!

Kruz

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
If it looks good then it is done right regardless of whether you fiberglassed inside or outside, inside is just easier.

Not sure about the primer, ask Smoooth, he knows primer very well

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
A little paint does wonders:

Ira
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
My7Fieros: Nice job dude! That looks sweet!

Kohburn: I like your decklid hump idea. It looks pretty cool.

Everyone else: if you're looking for honeycomb steel mesh, one of my friends sells this stuff. He sells it on his website at www.mnpctech.com. Look for the "modder's mesh".

(sorry, that was kohburn not kruzn machines)

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 07-20-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
Uhhh, Decklid hump idea? I think you got somebody else. I don't recall any sort of idea...

Kruz

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
The first one I did is on the car now. I was working on another one but I have changed my design again and will start a 3rd and final one. This time I wont be using wood I will use 16 guage sheet metal.

This is my first one in progress.

now for my second and larger more functunal one.

I had some problems with the wood swelling. That is why I am not going to use it on my next one.
One problem I have with the first one I did was that it was to far forward. The opening was above the radiator and a little forward. The second one I moved farther back which should make it work better. However I will have to modify the wall so the hood will fit But not to much. My next one will need extencive modification and I will loose my spare. but thats what I want. Pics to come..

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Earl, I like your second design, too bad about the problem with the wood. Mine is somewhere between your two designs in functionality:

I do get flow through the radiator but not to the extent you are. It is better than the wood block types however because the opening is not as restricted. Hopefully, by using aluminum, I will not run into any problems with cracking.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here we go:

Some wire mesh from an old outbox will be epoxied into place and then the bodyfiller will have something to adhere to.

Here is the shape of the piece:

It does not match the grill material (the proper hexagonal pattern) because it will be covered with bondo:

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Just need to sand and shoot the final paint, used this gloss black rust paint because it would show flaws well, and fill scratches. It will be sanded off and the hood will go red (except fot the grill which will remain black).

It isn't perfect but at least it is presentable.

This thread has been the motivation I needed to try something on my own (even if it did take almost 2 years for me to get this far.

Ira

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Changed my mind, went with the big flat black stripe, same paint as on the trailing edge of the rear spoiler, I like the continuity. The hood goes on next nice day, here it is:

and a little closer up.

and the headlight covers:

you like my workbench, an old changing table

Ira

A special thanks to My7Fieros, Archie, and anyone else who helped me make this a reality.

Hey Kruz, here it is, next shots will shoe it on the car.

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2003 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
The finished product:

and this:

any maybe this:

and we can't forget this:

And just a little plug for this years Targa Newfoundland:

There we are, next visible change will be the 15"X7" wheels.

Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

Sig design by MinnGreenGT

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2003 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
good that this is still floating around. i'm going to replace one of my vents with this style. wondering how far you can push the cut part down if you use the original cut measurements? i'd like to push it down as far as possible.
Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
Not sure if I'm getting Earl's plan correctly, but it seems as though he is using the pieces of wood on either side to hold the vent portion down, as well as to bond the filler to. I like that, because you could theroetically leave the "front" open, whilst still having the vent supported down! Correct me if I'm wrong, because when I do this, that seems to be the way I'm going to want to do it.

------------------

86 GT -- All Options except Performance Sound

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyDirect Link to This Post
BUMP for the newbies....

And so it doesn't hit the archives before I can get to the bodywork on my buddies "new" car (Thanks, again truk78)

------------------

87GTBro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTBroSend a Private Message to 87GTBroDirect Link to This Post
I made my hood scoop a little different than those. I don't have any buildup pics, but it took a long time to do. Lots of bondo and fiberglass. It took a guesstimate of about 60 work hours.

Some people have confused this with rockcrawls hood vent, but this is all hand made. What do you think?

------------------

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GTBro:

I made my hood scoop a little different than those. I don't have any buildup pics, but it took a long time to do. Lots of bondo and fiberglass. It took a guesstimate of about 60 work hours.

Some people have confused this with rockcrawls hood vent, but this is all hand made. What do you think?

That one looks great too!
Very unique design! !!!

------------------

gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Direct Link to This Post
Very nice. I really like the fact that the scoop is recessed yet raised above the hood line at the same time. Very ingenious design and I can appreciate the amount of hours that you put in, + rating for you.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
my first and my second scoop:

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

my first and my second scoop:

What type of bumper cover facsia is that on your car(any pics)?

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post

The_Ikon

629 posts
Member since Mar 2004
87GTBRO, Nice scoop. And being that it is hand made makes it even nicer! I know the time and skill that goes into custom work. My body man spents hundred of hours on my Karmann Ghia to get that body right.

------------------
85' Fiero 5spd notchback
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigtime1911/album?.tok=phlWNyABDV9Lapf.&.dir=/2a9c&.src=ph

65' Karmann Ghia
http://photos.yahoo.com/the_ikon1911

Jaguar XJ8 L
Audi A6 Quattro
Jeep CJ7
Lexus SC 400 *Best car ever RIP

Fiero5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 367
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero5Click Here to visit Fiero5's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero5Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Very nice scoops by everyone.

Hey Ira, any update on the rims?

Originally posted by Monza76:

There we are, next visible change will be the 15"X7" wheels.

Ira

Steve

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_Ikon:

What type of bumper cover facsia is that on your car(any pics)?

Its an ....uhh....GTR bumper! I made it myself. And still working on it:

Last weekend I molded the windsplitter to the bumper, but the stabilizers had to go, they looked too silly...

this is my build-up thread if youre interested, I try to update it regularly.....
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/038785.html

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in Progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave