Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Does anyone have a SPAL power window kit installed?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Does anyone have a SPAL power window kit installed? by JacobHaley
Started on: 04-04-2004 11:05 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: JacobHaley on 04-09-2004 02:18 PM
JacobHaley

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2004 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone tell me how well the SPAL kit motors work? Do they move the windows any faster than the factory power windows? Mine are pretty slow, so I was considering replacing the whole system with a set of manual cranks ( which I have in my garage ) and an aftermarket motor system.

If any of you have any experience with SPAL please let me know.

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2004 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I am a dealer for SPAL. Yes, they move faster, yes, they are very nice to have.
I suggest that before you go whole hog and move to SPAL, try dissassembling your tracks and CLEANING them, then regrease them.

Willing to bet that takes care of it for you

SplineZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SplineZClick Here to visit SplineZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to SplineZDirect Link to This Post
hrmm.. maybe I should do this when my car is down and out *until i get insurance*

thanks for the idea

James Z

------------------

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Already cleaned and regreased Synthesis, but thanks for the info.
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I have/had the Spal setup on my Fiero. I got the deluxe setup. I am in the process of taking it off and replacing my door panels. It did not fit the Fiero door properly, I had to cut the door panel to go around the motor which could not be mounted on the interior cavity of the door. If I were you, I would keep the factory motors (maybe buy new ones). The Spal setup is good quality, but isn't faster than the factory Fiero motor setup.

Chris

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
You also need to clean or replace the switches in most cases. The switches carry full motor load in these cars and old/dirty switches will slow the windows by increasing resistance in the wiring. Just one extra ohm in the switch is often a problem.

You may need new motors but always try the switches first. Also check the connectors in the A posts and make sure the wiring there and in the door is clean and tight. All it takes is one dirty/corroded connection. Don't forget to smear dielectric grease on the connector in the door after cleaning. If you don't they will corrode up after the first rain even with good dew strips on the window.

I'm not quite sure how that Spal kit works... It looks like most of it goes inside the door. If it puts anything on that protrudes from the innner panel of the door, that could be a problem. It isn't because they are a bad product but because of the confined space in a Fiero. (The small amount of Spal stuff I've dealt with was always grade A stuff)

The problem is anything that sticks out of the door in that area will likely be right against your leg allot of the time. One reason I went to power in the first place is to end hitting my leg on the crank. No matter which way it was turned I still hit it.

I don't know how much the Spal kit sticks out above the panel but this is something to keep in mind.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

bdjones

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bdjonesSend a Private Message to bdjonesDirect Link to This Post
I have the SPAL windows in my car. They are quick and work well.
Here is a picture of where I mounted them:

They don't get in the way of the stock door panel at all. The door lock I added gets in the way but I'm going to move it.

Listen to TheOgre. My vette had really slow windows. I took it part and greased/cleaned everything - no change. I then bought new motors (expensive!) and after I put them on I tested with a 12v battery - they worked great. I then put everything back, hooked it up to the switches and.... slow. Instead of replacing the switches I just wired in 2 realys so the motor took a direct draw from the battery. It worked fine after that. I took back the passanger side and did the relay trick there too.

You can test it pretty easy with a 12v cordless drill battery. Just jump the motor to the battery and see if it works. If so, replace the switches and move on to the next project.

--Brett

JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2004 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the switches tip! I didn't know they carried the full load, but that makes perfect sense.
JacobHaley

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JacobHaleySend a Private Message to JacobHaleyDirect Link to This Post
Check this page for an excellent article!

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/049035.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock