Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Can a dead Fiero return from the grave to start fires? Almost.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Can a dead Fiero return from the grave to start fires? Almost. by Raydar
Started on: 03-19-2004 06:40 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Panama Jack on 03-20-2004 05:04 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Several years ago I bought a thoroughly wadded up Formula for a drivetrain transplant into my coupe.
Many of you have seen this pic.

All the useable parts were stripped, and the hulk was hauled off. Some of the leftover parts found their way to the area under our back deck / screened porch.

This afternoon, Tammy and I were sitting out on the porch relaxing and playing with the dogs.
Every once in a while we would both get a whiff of smoke. Neither one of us thought anything about it, because our neighbors frequently burn leaves and yard trash.
Suddenly Tam said, "Something's burning! Look!" And she pointed to the other end of the porch. I saw a wisp of smoke come up from between the decking.
She ran into the house to grab the fire bottle. I ran out in the yard to see what was on fire.
My first thought was that it was the heat/air unit. That's the only electrical thing under there.
It took me a few seconds to figure out what was going on.

I had saved the sunroof glass off of the donor car. The latch was broken but the glass was in perfect condition. It was leaning against the side of my camper shell, which also is stored under there.
The glass was laying bottom-side up. The curve of the glass just happened to be the right shape to perfectly focus the reflection of the afternoon sun on the bottom of the porch decking. (Think "parabolic reflector") The beam was so intense that it actually burned tracks in the underside of the boards.

Here's a pic

You can look at the tracks and tell that it's been doing this for a while. I think I can count 8 separate lines burned into the wood in different places.

It's a good thing that we were on vacation today. Normally, neither of us would be sitting out on the deck at this time of day.

Think we dodged a bullet?

*I* certainly do.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-19-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DotTC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post
scarey

------------------
"As we live on, we lose a little bit more. Shrouded in falsehoods and lies, we stand frozen to the spot, unable to cry out" - Deep Forest

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
I never would have thunk it...

------------------

AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built W I D E BODY~GT!!

"I would rather be hatefully remembered, then just forgotten!!"

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
That mangled red formula is haunting you....
Watch your back! lol
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
that formula is gonna haunt all of us.............I better shut my computer off before it catches fire LOL

------------------

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna have nightmares after seeing that photo.. what in the heck happened to that poor thing?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shadow_Wolf:

I'm gonna have nightmares after seeing that photo.. what in the heck happened to that poor thing?

Previous owner blew a turn in the rain and put it into a ditch, doing about 35.
It bent structural metal on the passenger side all the way back as far as the floorboards. The impact actually elongated the hole in the right spindle, where the lower balljoint goes through. Glad I wasn't there for the ride.
Having said all that, When I got home with it I actually cranked it up and drove it off the trailer and into the garage.

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
That old Fiero wasen't named Christine by any chance?
drunkenscotsman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drunkenscotsmanSend a Private Message to drunkenscotsmanDirect Link to This Post
you better sell me those extra parts so this don't happen again
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
I've heard of Fieros causing fires, but THIS is RIDICULOUS! So this wou;d be the first fire caused by a Fiero that did no harm to the actual car?

I second the Christine comment. Go get the Formula's old Delco radio, smash it to bits, and send the parts to the four corners of the Earth, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

RWDPLZ

15013 posts
Member since May 2002

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

PFF
System Bot
NickBW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickBWClick Here to visit NickBW's HomePageSend a Private Message to NickBWDirect Link to This Post
im actualy speachless..

evil fiero out looking to take revenge for its cripling accedent

------------------
This msg was brought to you buy a person who wishes he had an 88 fieroGT with an LS1 and 6speed.

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
NO WAY!!! Thats insane!! You've actually Dodged the bullet on every sunny day!!!! See Each line is actually one day! And as the sun moves across the sky its burning tracks!! The darker spot of the track is where the sun is at its best point to reflect off the glass. And Each one of the lines represents days, because the earth rotates (think seasons)!! WOW Thats realllly freaky! Thanks because from now on we should all take something like this into account!

BTW Just how long has the glass been there? This could of been doing the burning for a while and just cauterizing the wood over time and now that its charred it's actually able to burn. I'm a pipe smoker so I know what it takes to burn wood over a long period of time.. LOL WOW. Thank you for the post and pics!

------------------

Ferrari 308 GTB rebody on a modified 86SE chasis Soon to have a highly hooped up 3800SC..Ohh yeah baby!!
Contacts _ AIM / Zildjianfx _ Yahoo / djdraggin
Remember, always brush your milk, drink your teeth, dont do sleep and get eight hours of drugs.

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Holy Smokes!!! No wonder the inside of the coupe gets so hot...

------------------

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
thats where my Hair is going
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
okay that's just freaky.
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Holy Smokes!!! No wonder the inside of the coupe gets so hot...

No wonder why our consoles start to droop and warp!

*runs to put his sunshade on*

but..now we know that the sunroof would be a good thing to have on a deserted island...

[This message has been edited by FieroRumor (edited 03-20-2004).]

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I'm selling my extra sunroof to NASA for the Airborne Laser project.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
EEE Gads man!

Ambulance_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ambulance_dudeSend a Private Message to Ambulance_dudeDirect Link to This Post
Wow thats just insane.

Good thing you found out about before something cought fire.........imagine the fire fighters telling his cheaf what the cause of the fire was lol

And imagine the insurance adjusters.........lol

------------------

85 GT undergoing a 2000 3800SC transplant. The wiring hell ugh......headach Digital dash in progress.........more wiring ugh Making it all work together.........wheres my advil

90 GMC suburban (for sale $3000 firm or trade for a good running fiero! ask for pics and details)
2000 dodge intrepid- the daily driver (snore)
2000 Ford focus (SHO engine swap soon!)
2004 BMW Z4 convert, cause gotta have a bitchin chick magnet!

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post
i can see it now.

"Well sir, apparently the cause of the fire was a Pontiac Fiero"
"Didnt those things catch fire?"
"Apparently so"

lol.

you're a lucky man there raydar. NOW GET RID OF THE POSSESED FIERO! BEFORE THE DEMON IMMAGRATES TO YOUR CAR!

[This message has been edited by ShaddowGt (edited 03-20-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShaddowGt:

you're a lucky man there raydar. NOW GET RID OF THE POSSESED FIERO! BEFORE THE DEMON IMMAGRATES TO YOUR CAR!

The posessed Fiero has been gone for a while.
Here it is, patiently waiting for the rollback to haul it away. Doesn't look *that* sinister, does it?

It's spirit (as well as its cradle, tranny, and rear suspension) lives on in my 3.4 coupe.
Yes, the engine was about to give up the ghost, as well. Hence the 3.4.

Anybody wanna buy a haunted sunroof glass?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-20-2004).]

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Hehe, you should hang it on the wall... just not in a room that gets any sun!!!

Brad

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

well that depends, can you guarentee it wont set my fiero on fire? well, they all do at some point anyway....

Panama Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Panama JackSend a Private Message to Panama JackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

thats where my Hair is going

I got my first Fiero in 1996 when I had hair then... now....... YOU ARE CORRECT SIR!!

That is too bizzare.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock